Attn: Kenwood stereo owners!!! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

Attn: Kenwood stereo owners!!!

I have a Kenwood stereo I think it "was" a KD-759 or something it really doesn't matter anymore, it was about a 500$ unit but I got it for 380$. Well I just have to vent a little, my friend's post on here and said someone needs to hear this. Well this has mounted over the course of the week I was having problems with the display on my deck,it would be fuzzy and go in and out. I thought it was a connection so I was cool about it. About Wed. the thing wouldn't come down from behind the dash( it's was one of those reversing face plate things). So it would'nt come down. Then the breaking point of my week was tonight after I left my girlfriend house all pissed off. Following that, the unit would come down and it wouldn't lite up. And a bunch of other crap, basicly the thing is a piece of shit. So I was so pissed, I started to fire my fist at the unit and it died, then it cowardly retracted back into the unit. Then I struck it some more and did some pulling and bending. To top it all off that piece of shit faceplate had the balls to open up. Well that was the last straw, so I grabbed that son of a bitch brought him into work, we have a 450' hot press that we use to make pressouts and I decided to turn him into a little pankcake paper weight. I will never buy an expensive stereo again, let alone a Kenwood. That thing had to many moving part's. I think I'm goin to Alpine. I've had pretty cheap JVC's and they have never failed me. Has anyone else had any problem's with Kenwood decks'????? This is suck's now I need a new stereo because I can't control myself, oh well I feel alot better knowing that thing will not live to spoil my CD listening another day, to bad my PM5K disc was lost in the battle. I was on my bike this wouldn't have happened....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 04:46 AM
CHeYeNNe

Hmmmmz

I've got an older Kenwood unit with the MASK and NEVER had any problems what's so ever with it. I would buy Kenwood again no problem. My headunit is about 5-6 years old I think. Sorry to hear you had problems but beating the shit out of it didn't help any

G'Luck with your next unit.

Cheyenne
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 07:41 AM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

I had a Kenwood high-end tuner several years ago and it was great. I do try to avoid units with lots of moving parts as they are most prone to failure. Alpine is a reputable company. The Kenwood may have been worth something if it wasn't flattened.

Dave
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Ive had a few Kenwoods over the years and built some huge systems off of them. They have alwasy been fine by me. Should have seen if your s was still under warrenty

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 09:31 AM

I have never had a kenwood but I have had a Rockford Fosgate and I love it. My head unit has never not accepted a disk or skipped, regardless of the condition of the disk. My buddy who has had 2 kenwoods would have a couple disks that would play but skip pretty bad. If we then took those disks and put it into my fosgate, it would play without any probs. When i get to the point of having a new head unit for my car, Rockford Fosgate is where I am heading again. By the way, i have had this unit for 7 years strong. Just my .02
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 09:39 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

I too have owned and still own a "high End" Kenwood and love it. Totally trouble free. In my Riv i used to have i had a Kenwood from 1989 which i gave to my brother and he still has it playing trouble free.

In fact because of that i own a Kenwood reciever/cd player/dual tape/eq/amp/and phonograph and they all work beautiful. Sorry you had a bad experience but i guess it was a pretty good feeling beating the shit out of a unit.

Don't take this the wrong way but if the mask is sluggish opening or closing there is a tension "spring" you can adjust or replace for around .88 cents. The part only keeps the unit from bad tracking and will either hold it open or closed if it senses a problem. For example a dirty/ dusty drive track. Did you try and spray compressed air on the unit or in the least spray contact cleaner? My unit did the same thing but after 2 shots of air it worked perfect. Hate to think you demolished a perfectly good unit for dusty drive track!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 09:41 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally posted by GsxrTony
Ive had a few Kenwoods over the years and built some huge systems off of them. They have alwasy been fine by me. Should have seen if your s was still under warrenty
Me too. Had nothing but good luck. I just sold a Kenwood deck and 10 disc changer for $150. We had it in Anne's car for 6-7 years no problems. I also have a Kenwood home system I've had for 10 years and it still rocks. I bought a surround sound (Sony) for x-mas this year so the Kenwood is going in the garage.

I've always favored Kenwood on car installs cause you rarely blow speakers when set up properly. The decks don't send any distortion when cranked up to the top like most decks do. That way you can crank up your deck all the way and turn up the gains on the amps just under the distortion level and you'll never blow a speaker.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 09:49 AM

Sportbike: 91 Electra Glide
Years Riding: I forgot
How you found us: So long I dont remember

Send a message via AIM to robo74
Damn Wayne, you have to control yourself! Remind me not to ever piss you off as I am riding next to you, might try and punch me off the bike!

I have had my Kenwood Am/FM/CD/MP3 with moving parts for about 2 years, no issue what so ever. I think you should have taken it out and then called Kenwood. I think they would back up their product.

Rob
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

I know Rob, I think I was just having a bad day... I just bought a new Alpine deck last night.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 02:21 PM

Sportbike: k7 gsxr 600 track bike project
Years Riding: couple years...
How you found us: google

Kenwoods are pretty top line head units, depending on model. but their name is really good. The more features, moving parts, moving displays (just eye candy) the more things can go wrong (especially motorized faces)
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

I agree the more moving part's the things are prone to go wrong!!!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 09:02 PM

OK now you're scaring me, I have the KDC-X859 deck. I have yet to have problems with it, and I think it's a great deck. But it does have the motarized MASK.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 11:59 PM

never had a problem with mask on mine 2 maybe3 years now.im still very happy with the unit.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 01:29 AM

kenwood deck motor face plate

I have the kenwood KDC MP919 that has the flip up faceplate
and i was driving around one day and the display blacked out
then it wouldnt do any thing so i went back to where i bought it
and come to find out on the faceplate there is a very little button
that a tip of a pen would fit in to and it would reset the whole radio once he did that the radio was working like new again
i have had a lot of sony radios and the reset buttons where
behind the faceplate so i looked there i never thought it would
be on the face plate. just my .02

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode