Anyone thinking about joining the Army soon or know anyone that is? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Cool Anyone thinking about joining the Army soon or know anyone that is?

Post here or shoot me an email!

-Nick

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 01:13 AM

Sportbike: 91 Electra Glide
Years Riding: I forgot
How you found us: So long I dont remember

Send a message via AIM to robo74
this a warning or something?.... My sister is about to take her test

Rob
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

OOPS wrong impression

hah NO!

I ship out to basic under a Airborne Ranger Infantry contract May 15th. Trying to find someone I can refer to my recruiter so I can get promoted to Private First Class. Not only that, if anyone is having problems with the "car salesman" type recruiters let me know and I'll hook you up with mine, he's a really great guy and acts more like a friend than a salesman. I've gotten everything I've wanted and more than I could ask for with his advice and insite.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 01:38 AM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

Yea my buddy is in his last week of Airborne training. He seems to really enjoy it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 01:39 AM

Sportbike: 91 Electra Glide
Years Riding: I forgot
How you found us: So long I dont remember

Send a message via AIM to robo74
ahhhhh ok, had me worried for a minute.
Actually, my sister is going in out of Missouri as thats where she lives. She is almost in so its beyond refer time.

Good luck!

Rob
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 02:07 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
They are giving out E-3 for bringing in ONE person? Crap, when I joined they were only giving out E-2.

Airborne Infantry going RIP (Ranger Indoctoration Program)? Here's how it will go (from what I've gathered, no experience). You'll go from OSUT at Ft. Benning to Airborne school (at Benning, across post). Then you'll join a Ranger Battalion as a RIP for a couple years before going to Ranger school (guess where..) Figure you'll need about 300+ points on the APFT to get in.

The advantage of the RIP program is you work with Rangers before going to the school (get a bit of inside info). Downside is, RIPs get a lot of stress in their home unit (not rangers, yet.) It probably helps them get through Ranger school though (less of a culture shock.)

Good Luck. If I had to do it over again, I would have gone active a couple years. But back then, you only got 20K for school, instead of the what..50K now?

Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Talking well Actually....

Since I've been enlisted since Sept. 18th of 2002 I've had some time to look into this. I leave for OSUT on May 15th which is approximately 14 weeks long, then Sept. 2nd I start jump school (which is 3 weeks long). From there I go to RIP (Ranger Indoctrination Program) where upon sucessful completion I will be sent to one the the three Ranger Battalions, wear the tan beret and a scroll for whichever batt. I'm sent to. Hence being an Airborne Ranger. As they say the scroll is a way of life, the tab is just a school. The three Ranger Battalions are what is under special operations command. 1/75 is located at Hunter Army Airfield in Georgia, 2/75 is located at Ft. Lewis in Washington I believe?? and 3/75 is located at Ft. Benning along with the Regimental HQ.

Ranger school on the other hand is the most difficult leadership course in the U.S. Army and some say the world. But like any other school in the Army as long as your MOS is on their list you can be in any unit in the Army and compete for a Ranger school slot. I believe Ranger school is 61 days long, after successful completion you will earn the coveted black and gold Ranger tab and be sent back to your unit.

As for getting E-3 I've already passed a pre-basic task list (consists of rank structure, military time, etc. and the APFT (scored a 263 out of a possible 300) to get E-2. Just finised picking up the stuff on the basic training packing list this afternoon... can't wait to get the hell out of here

-Nick
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to ad..

Upon completion of RIP and serving in battalion, you compete for spots at Ranger school. Normally in 6-12 monthes. If for some reason you quit Ranger school for reasons other than injury when you are sent back to your Ranger batt. they kick you out and you are sent on World Wide Assignment, (wherever the Army needs you) and are basically labelled a shitbag.

As for the bonus' your telling me... All I was looking for was a RIP contract because they're usually not easy to obtain. They gave me $4k just for enlisting, and then the montgomery GI bill (50k) Also in the state of IL they have what is called the IL veterans fund. Where as long as I move back to IL within 6 monthes after seperating from the Army and attend a state school tuition will be free. (Leaving me 50k to spend as I please) Sounds like a good deal to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode