XSport Gym - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Illegitimi non Carborundu

Sportbike: That Bike
Years Riding: That Long
How you found us: Google Search for "sexy."

Send a message via AIM to Paul Send a message via MSN to Paul Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
XSport Gym

Anyone have a membership and use their trainers? Any good? I am in terrible shape and need help BAD. Willing to give them a shot if the overall experiences from folks are positive.

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
2013 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special Owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:26 AM

I used to go there, though I don't use a personal trainer. Do you need someone to help you plan your workout or more for motivation?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Paul Send a message via MSN to Paul Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by achapman View Post
I used to go there, though I don't use a personal trainer. Do you need someone to help you plan your workout or more for motivation?
Both, actually. When I worked out at Barton Gym, I had a hot female trainer. That gave me a lot of motivation but she was also extremely good at getting me into a good routine. Now, I have gotten busy with work and a little lazy in the gym. I need to be reevaluated and guided into a new routine. Initially I will need a lot of help but then can taper off and just do evaluations every-couple-of weeks.

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:36 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

It's too bad you are so far away...I might have talked myself into joining up with you.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:36 AM
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!

Sportbike: Bike less, link to pictures of crashed bike in signature
Years Riding: Riding 3.5 years
How you found us: Hunny's Mom!

Send a message via AIM to .:K2:.
Step 1 would be setting some specific goals that you want to attain. Getting "in shape" is not a very good goal.

Step 2 would be self motivation and the desire to attain those goals (and beyond). If the only way you can get to the gym is if you have a P.T. than you will most likely loose the drive after you no longer seek to pay for the P.T.

<---- Andy

Gear saved my life - there is no luck involved in wearing gear.

Crashed Bike pictures:
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=138
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...&postcount=139
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Retired but still working

Sportbike: 1994 H/D Softail Custom
Years Riding: Long Enough
How you found us: search

Send a message via Yahoo to Dean
K2 has a point. Any trainer is going to ask you what your goals are. If you simply tell them I want to get in shape, they are in turn going to assign you goals - amount of weight loss, amount of body fat loss, etc.
PT's now get paid for a group of lessons and not individually as you show up. This normally ensures your appearance and does not waste their time - this was the norm when I was at Gold's anyway.

XSport's are the old Powerhouse Gyms. Their location in Lombard has some good trainers. I know of a trainer that is local to you. She was a former Bally's trainer. She is a ball buster though. I could see if she is willing to be hired out. Most gyms let other trainers come in for $15 - 25 per day as long as they are with a client - but some do not. Check with XSport and let me know if you are interested - I'll call her.

Set a goal - a realistic goal - and go with it. Once you reach that goal and feel you are not satisfied with "yourself" yet, then continue on. Little by little you will attain exactly what you are aiming for.

Dean

What do the internet and Channel 11 have in common? They are both a window to the world; put it out there and do not be surprised who will see it.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
It's too bad you are so far away...I might have talked myself into joining up with you.
I am getting ready to join xsport, let me know if you want to join too. A workout partner makes it much easier to lift hard then when by yourself.

I was gonna go to prolly the one in downers grove and in naperville.

You don't really need a trainer. I'll give you one of my hybrid workouts that I use. Used for cutting fat but adding lean muscle.

got two different ones. Are you looking to pack muscle or just get toned?

www.aaronlchapman.com/public/hybrid.xls
www.aaronlchapman.com/public/fullbody.xls

Last edited by achapman; 08-03-2007 at 09:55 AM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:56 AM
-+-+-+-+-+-

Sportbike: 2002 YZF-R1
Years Riding: A few days since yesterday
How you found us: Another website

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:K2:. View Post
Step 1 would be setting some specific goals that you want to attain. Getting "in shape" is not a very good goal.

Step 2 would be self motivation and the desire to attain those goals (and beyond). If the only way you can get to the gym is if you have a P.T. than you will most likely loose the drive after you no longer seek to pay for the P.T.
+1

It's not rocket science. Intake less calories than you burn. 30-45 minutes on the elliptical 3-4 times a week will do wonders, but losing weight is mostly in your diet.

I've lost 73lbs since last October and I am in the best 'shape' of my life. But I continue to eat right and hit the gym 5-6 times a week.

Last edited by Keyhole; 08-03-2007 at 10:01 AM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 10:22 AM
I miss mopar

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: I can't count that high.
How you found us: i don't remember.

Send a message via AIM to Drama Send a message via Skype™ to Drama
I used the xsport off of golf in AH in the past. I really liked it. If you just want weights and some cardio it's a great price for a gym. I paid $240 for 15 months. I never used the trainers, but there are a ton of hot girl ones. THey don't have a pool or raquette ball courts or things like that so if you want that, go somewhere else.

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
Dirt: TBD
I love bike shopping.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 10:32 AM
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePro8 View Post
I used the xsport off of golf in AH in the past. I really liked it. If you just want weights and some cardio it's a great price for a gym. I paid $240 for 15 months. I never used the trainers, but there are a ton of hot girl ones. THey don't have a pool or raquette ball courts or things like that so if you want that, go somewhere else.
GTFO! I pay $20/mo for Bally's. Is there a start up fee @ XSport?

If not I'll switch in a heartbeat

<---- Andy

Crashed Bike pictures:
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 10:35 AM
I miss mopar

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: I can't count that high.
How you found us: i don't remember.

Send a message via AIM to Drama Send a message via Skype™ to Drama
There is no startup fee at xsport. That rate may have changed, but I'm not sure. Also know you can kind of negotiate with xsport. Ask for specials going on.

You do have to sign a contract, it's not month to month.

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
Dirt: TBD
I love bike shopping.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 10:36 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyhole View Post
+1

It's not rocket science. Intake less calories than you burn. 30-45 minutes on the elliptical 3-4 times a week will do wonders, but losing weight is mostly in your diet.

I've lost 73lbs since last October and I am in the best 'shape' of my life. But I continue to eat right and hit the gym 5-6 times a week.

Damn dude...73lbs! That's like a whole Back Street Boy!

Congrats!

I need to do that!

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 10:38 AM

The trainers are hit or miss. Don't be shy about asking for a new one if you get one that's so-so. Usually, but not always...Most “good” trainers will not work at the big health clubs for very long. They will build a list of clients, open their own gym, or go to a higher end club or smaller gym. When you want to break into training, you go to the big places that will pay you less but train you. This doesn’t mean there are no good trainers…you just need to sometimes search for them and be able to tell the difference between the ones who are putting on a crappy sales pitch vs someone who’s a truly good trainer.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
There is no startup fee at xsport. That rate may have changed, but I'm not sure. Also know you can kind of negotiate with xsport. Ask for specials going on.

Yes, there is a startup fee at xsport. It's like $100 or $120 usually.

But every couple months they have specials where you can sign up a family member for a $20 startup or something like that. Most recent one was "sign up a roommate or relative for $1" but that has ended. I'm sure in a month or two they will have an end of summer special.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 10:39 AM
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!

Quote:

If signing a contract means paying $240 for 15 months than I'ma hump that deal like Mopar does a YWB

<---- Andy

Crashed Bike pictures:
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 10:40 AM

The gym is what you make of it. It is not the end all though. You should modify your diet first, start dropping some pounds that way, then working out will have more effect, and will seem more rewarding. If you keep on eating a gazillion fat calories a day, you would need to work out 24/7 to even try to combat it

Seattle Sutton is a great place to start. They make all your breakfasts, lunches and dinners for the week. It is what you should be eating, and they do all of the calorie counting for you. There are a couple other meal plans out there that will also make eating right easier, but I am most familiar with Seattle.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
If signing a contract means paying $240 for 15 months than I'ma hump that deal like Mopar does a YWB
There is absolutely zero negotiating with xsport. Believe me, I went from club to club, walked out of doors, offered to recruit others, and tried every trick in the book. Even asked about the professional rates they offer since I'm a trainer. They said since I'm a trainer they could give me some free tanning...whoopie. If they have a special going on then you can get that, otherwise you pay their regular rate. But on the plus side, doing the roommate sign up is easy, you just need to know someone who's a member and send yourself a blank envelope to your friends address and bring that in as proof..they do not check your license. Right now you can sign up for probably around $550 for 15 months...that's approximate, but that's their regular rate.

Last edited by BIGGY; 08-03-2007 at 10:47 AM.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Wow, thanks gang. Good advice. Diet is my worst enemy. I need to start there. i also don't eat regularly and in small amounts throughout the day so my metabolism sucks right now.

My goal is to lose the gut and get a little toned. I just want to feel good, you know? I like Barton Gym's slogan, "Look better naked." That's about what I am looking for. I want to stand in the mirror and think to myself, "I am a leaner, meaner John Travolta." LOL

Motivation: Yah. I knew that would be rough on me. I have the mental will to WANT to do it, but my body and laziness say, "wait until later..."

I already have a membership. Paid for like 15 months up front. I haven't used it much but REALLY want to get this going NOW. I am sick of eating like shit and not doing anything to take care of myself physically.

Thanks again for the advice all.
Much appreciated.

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 11:12 AM
OBAMA FTW!!!!1!

I'll join the place if they have a deal/promo going. Bally's gets me everything I need aside from the hours that they operate as my schedule is somewhat restrictive.

<---- Andy

Crashed Bike pictures:
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 11:39 AM
CLSB Pimpologist

Sportbike: K5 Gixxer 750
Years Riding: 9 years but not that many miles....
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to HEESH
Do you go to Arlington Heights North or South? I go to North the one on Dundee. Its a cool gym, been going there for 3 years. There is a pretty good "community" there. As in a lot of the regulars know the other regulars and are always there to motivate one another.

As far as the trainers there, I have seen about all of them with clients, there are some better ones then others. There are two newish girl trainers that are pretty cute who could give you come motivation. But in the end, you have to want it. That is what keeps me going to the gym day in and day out.

------------------------------------------------
-Heesh

I can't wait for the summer...
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Move along

Sportbike: 08 GSXR 600
Years Riding: Day after yesterday
How you found us: referred

Send a message via AIM to Eugene
If anyone goes to Lifetime let me know. Having a workout partner would be cool

Xbox Live: BrBGot2Pee
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 12:19 PM
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie

Quote:

+1

Being self-motivated is the only way to make a change. If you rely on somebody else you might not meet your goal. It is OK to seek advice and help, but rely on yourself to achieve your goal. Typically with a regular workout partner you both only go when both want to. If one or the other doesn't then the other will agree and you go about half the time.

------->> Best motorcycle shop ever!

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiperf View Post
+1

Being self-motivated is the only way to make a change. If you rely on somebody else you might not meet your goal. It is OK to seek advice and help, but rely on yourself to achieve your goal. Typically with a regular workout partner you both only go when both want to. If one or the other doesn't then the other will agree and you go about half the time.
Getting a trainer is sometimes the self motivation or help at least. Some of my clients like me because I'm a tough (and hopefully good) trainer. I can push them right to the breaking point, give a great variety of exercises and so on. Some know they need the workout, want to do it, but simply won't do it on their own, or at least won't do it as effectively. Hunny has worked out with me a number of times and I have no doubt that she will tell you that when she goes with me, I push her well beyond what she would normally do on her own. It's not even an issue of going vs not, but of how far and how hard you push yourself. And there's quite a number of people who will go and not go to the levels to which they should...that's where a lot of trainers come in. It let's you not worry about the exercises or levels, but to get in there and do the actual work. A trainer is not the A-Z solution, but can be a big stepping stone to assist.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEESH View Post
Do you go to Arlington Heights North or South? I go to North the one on Dundee.
That's the one I go to - in the same mall as the theatre and Khols. One of the better XSports other than the one on North Ave in Chicago. I also hit the one in Niles on Milwaukee Ave since I pass it every day.

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:17 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Muskrat and I joined up at XSport last month. I go to the Naperville and Downers Grove locations. I absolutely love it there. The personal tv at every cardio machine is a huge help for me.

As far as eye candy, if that helps ya workout, there are usually some good or very good looking girls there. I can usually find one that I look at to motivate me a little when I'm debating on ending my workout early. (I just look and tell myself, "No..keep going because I want abs/arms/whatever like she has!")

I know Vicky on here uses a femal personal trainer at XSport and she's raved about her and likes her.

Naperville and Downers Grove locations both have the nice pool, hot tub, sauna too.

I say do it! Try a oersonal trainer out for a few weeks if you want, just to kickstart your motivation. But even if you dont use one or you use one for a short period of time....keep going to workout.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

you would be surprised how your motivation goes up the first week or two or regularly going. starting at the bottom is the hardest part. and if you already have the membership, what are you waiting for? get out there!

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode