Douchebag Cager - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Ninja Kick!

Sportbike: 09 R6 09, RS125
Years Riding: Not enough
How you found us: Spongebob

Douchebag Cager

So I'm heading down Shoefactory towards Higgins with two Cruisers in front of me. We are in a rather loose staggered formation with the front rider a little extra distance ahead. We all turn right onto Higgins, which has a stop light around 300 feet away. At this point in time there are three lanes, the left is clear, right has one car, and the center has four cars. The lights are red.

The front Cruiser pulls into the right lane, while his buddy hesitates, checks his back, and then pulls into the right lane. Knowing this was going to happen I gave him plenty of room, and engine braked towards the group of four cars in the center lane at a whopping 5-8mph. Suddenly I hear this squeal behind me, so I shoulder check and see this guy in a white sedan behind me who almost rear ended me. I roll forward a few more feet, then dump it into neutral, put my feet down and look behind me. At this time the lights were still red.

The guy pulls into the left lain along side me with his right window down and shouts "Your brake lights are out." Knowing full well they weren't as I had just been doing work on my bike, and that I had engine braked I shouted back they weren't. The guy shouted it again, and I shout back "What does it matter, the lights were red, pay attention to the road" and pointed to the lights. The guy shouts back "Well fuck ya then," so I give him the one finger salute, after all he did nearly run into me, and he should have paid attention to the clearly visible red light. The light turned green about this point, and the guy floored it in front of me and stopped. Having no desire to kick the douche bags head in, I accelerate into the left lane and get the bike up to around 60 with moderate acceleration and then back it off to 50 with two SUV's in front of me. The road at this point had merged into two lanes.

I check my mirror and the asshole was speeding towards me. As he got closer he cuts into the center of both lanes. It was clear to me the fucker was going to try to ram me or do something clearly not with my best intentions in mind. So I gas it and cut between the two cars, get the bike up to ~130mph, pass through a few cars and get myself into a position where the guy clearly had no chance of catching up.

Anyway, I figured I'd just share my experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Addicted

Sportbike: 09 Kawi ZX6R, 75' Yamaha RD250, '13 KTM 350 SX-F, '05 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: Not nearly long enough
How you found us: followed the squids

Send a message via AIM to eE jeremy
best not to shout shit at people, especially when you are on a bike and have no protection from their crazy ass in a big car
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 09:57 PM

Sportbike: 2001 zx6
How you found us: Search

Send a message via AIM to ThirdgenTa
What an asshole.... I am sick of people messing with me and others on bikes(or in a car for that matter). What you think they would do if they actually hit you or killed someone.
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 09:59 PM

You just wanted to go 130 mph didn't you.

Some car drivers are nuts. You did the right thing.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Illegitimi non Carborundu

Sportbike: That Bike
Years Riding: That Long
How you found us: Google Search for "sexy."

Send a message via AIM to Paul Send a message via MSN to Paul Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
He must have been right on your ass to almost rear end you - unless you did a heavy-duty engine break. I have to be careful when I engine break sometimes. People are programmed to see that red light brighten up. When it doesn't , they can get up on you pretty quick before realising you are engine breaking.

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
2013 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special Owner
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:00 PM

Sportbike: 05 CBR600RR
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: CBR Forum

Send a message via AIM to AgentofDarkness
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdgenTa View Post
What you think they would do if they actually hit you or killed someone.
They would probably run like hell.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:02 PM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

Don't mess with drivers. EVER.

Use your brakes next time, (it also helps them to 'see' you and visibility is KEY when you're on a bike).

He tried to 'help you' and you shot him shit? Sorry, but 5 minutes in the penalty box for both of you.

Consider yourself lucky that this didn't turn out worse.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

WHy do most people in cars start to say things to me and shut up quickly when they see my gloves.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:05 PM

Sportbike: 05 CBR600RR
How you found us: CBR Forum

Send a message via AIM to AgentofDarkness
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashomon View Post

He tried to 'help you' and you shot him shit?
He tried to help him by nearly hitting him? The light was red, usually people slow down anyway when approaching red lights. I do agree that you shouldn't mess with people in cars. On a bike, you usually don't have much going for you.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:10 PM
SV650N

Let's review the facts: he didn't use his brakes and therefore, his brake lights didn't go on. Why do you think we PUT brake lights on vehicles? For Safety.

Granted, the driver almost rear ended him (and thats not cool either) but at least the driver tried to WARN him about what he thought were defective brake lights.

That's all I'm saying. Put yourself in the driver's place (I'm sure many of us have had a few 'close calls' while behind the wheel...)
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:19 PM

Sportbike: 2001 zx6
How you found us: Search

Send a message via AIM to ThirdgenTa
Quote:
Let's review the facts: he didn't use his brakes and therefore, his brake lights didn't go on. Why do you think we PUT brake lights on vehicles? For Safety.

Granted, the driver almost rear ended him (and thats not cool either) but at least the driver tried to WARN him about what he thought were defective brake lights.

That's all I'm saying. Put yourself in the driver's place (I'm sure many of us have had a few 'close calls' while behind the wheel...)

People just dont like to take responsibility when they aren't paying attention and screw up. I see it every day. The driver should have gave him a safe distance and noticed if he was closing in on him. People need to seriously pay attention when they are driving.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:32 PM
The Champ

Sportbike: 2007 CBR600RR
Years Riding: Round 5
How you found us: Its a series of tubes, one brought me here

That guy was a douche

but next time just flash the brakes a little

I don't drag knee biotch

---------------------------
07 CBR600RR
95 240SX
00 Q45

Nissan Love
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:34 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Tap the brake when you do that. He could have plowed you and probably wouldn't even get a ticket.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdgenTa View Post
People just dont like to take responsibility when they aren't paying attention and screw up. I see it every day. The driver should have gave him a safe distance and noticed if he was closing in on him. People need to seriously pay attention when they are driving.
You can be right and still be dead.

I always just give a little press down w/ the right foot to make the light illuminate.

Tapping it to to pulse it (flash) works great too for getting attention but don't keep pulsing it.. make it solid.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:04 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
How you found us: Google

I've trained myself to tap the breaks three times, even (or especially) if I'm engine braking. I *want* to make myself more visible just so I don't have issues like that.

Driving through Schaumburg, Naperville, or Oak Brook scares me...it seems the more affluent the drivers in the area, the less they care about other peoples safety.

I'm glad the guy didn't hit you. I think a few of us (me included) need to learn how to diffuse a situation rather then escalate it...which we seem to do when we know we were in the right. That stuck up, elitist attitude will only get us knocked over in the long run.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
I think a few of us (me included) need to learn how to diffuse a situation rather then escalate it...which we seem to do when we know we were in the right.
"Thanks"

and

"Sorry"

work wonders. Most of the time these jackasses are out for an ego fix.. so just give it to them.. they quickly move on.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:23 PM
batterytenderismyfriend!!

Sportbike: 2009 Yamaha R6s
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to ivopivo
I'm with crash on this one... whether your bulbs work or not, it doesn't matter if you're not turning them on... they're simply not ON... glad nothing happened to you, but you better be careful in the future... you might run across an even worse driver/person

-Ivan
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Irony helps us play!

furthering the point... If someone were to actually hit you, your bulbs would most likely be broken, so it's your word against theirs... assuming you live through it.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Ninja Kick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcohenchicago View Post
He must have been right on your ass to almost rear end you - unless you did a heavy-duty engine break.
Not at all, it appeared he thought the light was green and therefore he shouldn't stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eE jeremy View Post
best not to shout shit at people, especially when you are on a bike and have no protection from their crazy ass in a big car
I was very calm throughout this. In the situation the car was stationary at least.

Quote:
He tried to 'help you' and you shot him shit? Sorry, but 5 minutes in the penalty box for both of you.
You're making a huge presumption that I didn't give this driver any room, but this is definitely not the case as when I turned into Higgins there were no cars even close to me. The guy just wasn't paying attention to the road. Although I did engine brake I also most likely did use my front brake as well, just not at as I was rolling towards the stopped cars trying to give the Cruiser room to join his buddy in the right lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
I think a few of us (me included) need to learn how to diffuse a situation rather then escalate it...which we seem to do when we know we were in the right. That stuck up, elitist attitude will only get us knocked over in the long run.
I couldn't agree more.

On a side note to this, I would normally use the rear brake a little, but unfortunately the rotors are shagged and it does virtually nothing. So until I get a moment to swap it over no rear brake for me.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Ninja Kick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
furthering the point... If someone were to actually hit you, your bulbs would most likely be broken, so it's your word against theirs... assuming you live through it.
I was taught when I learned to drive that you should always look at the car in front of the car directly in front of you as the this car would almost definitely react to any dangers first. This should mean that the guy should have looked in front of me, seen the car was stopped, seen the light was red, and presumed he needed to stop. His attention should have then switched to me and he should have started to brake.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:45 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
"Thanks"

and

"Sorry"

work wonders. Most of the time these jackasses are out for an ego fix.. so just give it to them.. they quickly move on.
Screw that. Get off the bike and show how manly you are, flip that econobox clean over and then shit in his trunk.
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:45 PM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
I was taught when I learned to drive that you should always look at the car in front of the car directly in front of you as the this car would almost definitely react to any dangers first. This should mean that the guy should have looked in front of me, seen the car was stopped, seen the light was red, and presumed he needed to stop. His attention should have then switched to me and he should have started to brake.
As I already said... you can be right and still end up dead.

You can't assume nor make everyone else do the right thing.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:47 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

next time i suggest using your break lights.

people NEED to see them to REGISTER you are slowing down, i check my mirrors EACH time i come to stop, sometimes flashing them way before i need to when i see stopped or RELAY slow traffic when we are coming up on them fast.

to the point where i didn't need to break, but i am warning those behind me that from my extra usage of break lights, surely something must be up in front of us.

we really need to remember on a bike YIELD to anything harder or bigger then our bikes that can cause us harm.

just a good suggestion.

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Ninja Kick!

I'm fully aware that I made a number of decisions during this that were not the best, but the point of this thread wasn't to get sympathy for myself. If anything I'd prefer to learn from it, and hopefully help others if they ever fall into a similar situation.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:00 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

Quote:
I'm fully aware that I made a number of decisions during this that were not the best, but the point of this thread wasn't to get sympathy for myself. If anything I'd prefer to learn from it, and hopefully help others if they ever fall into a similar situation.

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:01 AM
SV650N

Quote:
If anything I'd prefer to learn from it, and hopefully help others if they ever fall into a similar situation.
Cool. good deal.

Thanks for sharing with us.

post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:06 AM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

The downshift throttle blip engine brake with a twin is what gets their attention and a 2 tap finger brake allows them to see

Moral of the story, buy a Duc and use your brakes

Glad you were not hit by the cager

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
There are a number of great suggestions that people can take away from this thread.

Situational things like this are invaluable to most readers to help them recognize something out in the field, and know ahead of time some things they could implement to ensure that they too can come back here and post about it.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 08:28 AM

pocket full of pennies cures all.......
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 09:09 AM
a hollow voice says plugh

Sportbike: sold
Years Riding: legally- 7
How you found us: don't remember

Send a message via AIM to Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Zero
/\ I never understood the whole penny thing. Wouldn't throwing something at them justifiably piss them off even more? What's a penny going to do anyway? Chip their paint? Hit them in the eye if their window is down? Pay them 1/100 of a dollar for annoying you?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode