The dumbening... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

The dumbening...

Was reading through an old Psych text today and I came across some studies from the late 1800's. This little paragraph left me feeling illiterate. Ugh. Hard to believe how far we've risen technically, and fallen socially. I'm guessing by the time we're able fly cars and communicate with brainwaves... we won't have anything to say.

For the record, I'd love to be able to wordsmith like this...

Here's an example:

Quote:
...fitful, irreverent, indulging at times in the grossest profanity (which was not previously his custom), manifesting but little deference for his fellows, impatient of restraint or advice when it conflicts with his desires, at times pertinaciously obstinate, yet capricious and vacillating, devising many plans of future operations, which are no sooner arranged than they are abandoned in turn for others appearing more feasible. A child in his intellectual capacity and manifestations, he has the animal passions of a strong man. Previous to his injury, although untrained in the schools, he possessed a well-balanced mind, and was looked upon by those who knew him as a shrewd, smart businessman, very energetic and persistent in executing all his plans of operation.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I blame Mtv

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Illegitimi non Carborundu

Sportbike: That Bike
Years Riding: That Long
How you found us: Google Search for "sexy."

Send a message via AIM to Paul Send a message via MSN to Paul Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
I blame the Canadians

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
2013 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special Owner
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Amen Brotha - I have sets of books by Charles Dickens and Winston Churchill that I read from time to time and am still to this day blown away on how folks vocabulary skills of yesteryear are so far ahead of what we know today - We are getting so advanced that the basics (an not so basic) are so easily overlooked for a quicker and easier way to do everything

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:06 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

I though the downfall of American society was caused by the damn illegal aliens?
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:08 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
Amen Brotha - I have sets of books by Charles Dickens and Winston Churchill that I read from time to time and am still to this day blown away on how folks vocabulary skills of yesteryear are so far ahead of what we know today - We are getting so advanced that the basics (an not so basic) are so easily overlooked for a quicker and easier way to do everything
If you look at it from an artist point of view, that's being advanced. If you look at it from strictly communicative stand point, we are more advanced, considering we can portray an idea in fewer words.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Have you read ones of Ken's posts lately???

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa View Post
If you look at it from an artist point of view, that's being advanced. If you look at it from strictly communicative stand point, we are more advanced, considering we can portray an idea in fewer words.
Point well taken but it is the shortening of such that tends to strip away the essence of what is truly being communicated - Yes we are more advanced and can do more with less but by doing so, we tend to overlook a foundation of literacy that at one time was a standard and is now rarely even referenced

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 10:57 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Have you read ones of Ken's posts lately???
your consequential written observations leaves me speechless, although intrigued.

post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Quote:
Point well taken but it is the shortening of such that tends to strip away the essence of what is truly being communicated - Yes we are more advanced and can do more with less but by doing so, we tend to overlook a foundation of literacy that at one time was a standard and is now rarely even referenced
I think we're comparing 2 different ways of communicating and lumping them into the same category.

Writing a book and speaking are 2 completely different things when it comes to communicating.

Would you want to open up a book that says: "The butler did it.. The end" ?

In text, all you have is text. In spoken form you also have body language, along with HOW something is said in addition to what actually is said. You do not have to describe with words that which people see and sense. Most of the adjectives and adverbs and place-setting stuff is gone and not needed.

People still do write like that today. You just have to get out of the *** For Dummies section.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:11 PM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Was reading through an old Psych text today and I came across some studies from the late 1800's. This little paragraph left me feeling illiterate. Ugh. Hard to believe how far we've risen technically, and fallen socially. I'm guessing by the time we're able fly cars and communicate with brainwaves... we won't have anything to say.

For the record, I'd love to be able to wordsmith like this...

Here's an example:
It's safe to say most Psychologists of today have literary skills on par with those that came before. You have to compare apples to apples. In the 1800s, contrary to trained professionals like the one you quoted in your post, illiteracy was common among the people.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..

Last edited by whiteSeatEnvy; 08-05-2007 at 11:14 PM.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:12 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Forums are painful to read.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
Forums are painful to read.
Unit of language to your matriarch.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
your consequential written observations leaves me speechless, although intrigued.

- Ronald Reagan

post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 09:55 AM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
Most people's cups can only hold so much. With all the crap knowledge people pick up, there will be spillage. Spelling, grammar and vocabulary are usually the first to go.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 10:10 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
His tendency to utter acrimonious remarks alienated his audience.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

Fo shizzle

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
His tendency to utter acrimonious remarks alienated his audience.

The Crow Cries at midnight ..... pass it on.

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
It is like Civil War letters. These guys had a sixth grade education yet they wrote beautifully.

December 27th, 1863

Dear Father,

I have been waiting all day to get a chance to write home, but the noise and jostle has been so great I couldn't, so I waited until to night after all the boys have gone to bed, and I can write without being jostled all the time.

Well I am well and hearty and enjoying myself finely. We are having rather a hard time of it just now, it has been raining all the time for the last few days, and the camp is horribly muddy. But we make the best of it and have a merry time in our quarters. I have not been outside of the quarters but once today. I hope it will turn cold soon and freeze up hard. There is very little of interest going on in Terrahaute or in camp. The recruits we got when we were up have not yet been mustered, they probably will be tomorrow or at least sometime during next week. We will probably stay here all winter, though there is some talk of our going to Indianapolis in a few weeks, but I place no reliance on the report. Though I would not care if we did go to the Capital, we have good quarters here, every thing comfortable, but I am getting tired of Terrahaute. I wish our regiment was full, and we had orders to leave for Georgia tomorrow morning, but our regiment will hardly be organized until after the draft, it will then be filled up with drafted men. I guess that when the draft comes on, some of the Butternuts will awakin to the fact that they will be compelled to do their duty to their country.

I look at my letters home from the Gulf and it is like I was hit in the head with a hammer.

Today I watched a Dung Beetle steal my shit while I was taking a crap....

Quote:
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I look at my letters home from the Gulf and it is like I was hit in the head with a hammer.

Today I watched a Dung Beetle steal my shit while I was taking a crap....
As the gaseous giver of life shone in the eastern, its rays warming all that it touched, a Scarabaeidae Deltochilum gibbosum caught my gaze. Its exoskeleton reflecting the waves of energy that beamed through the solar system and peered through the fissures of the petro-chemical enclosure where I sat. This creature was searching with instinctual intent, driven by the amino-acid sequences genetically coded into it, through my excrement which was still littered with nutrients from caloric intake 8 hours previous.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 10:53 AM

Sportbike: RC31
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: it's a small world afterall

I can see the potential for people getting more stupider-er, but also have to ask: does it just seem more apparent because we're subjected to seeing poor writing skills of more people because of the common use of forums, e-mail and text messaging?

My pops who is in his 70's and both of my brothers in their 40's all have terrible writing skills. (I'll admit my skills are nothing fantastic as I'm lazy and make a lot of mistakes.) I'll cut my dad some slack as he's not a native English speaker and was always insecure about his poor writing, but none of them ever had to write as a vocation, so I wouldn't expect them to be the most eloquent speakers or writers.

When I sit down and hand-write a note, it takes a lot of thought and time. Computers have made us kind of lazy. I mean, when you had to write a letter by cutting it in stone, you thought long and hard about what you were going to say. I think a lot of people still have that ability, and aren't necessarily more dumber-er, just more lazy.

As for that opening paragraph, I found it to be a bit tedious and overworked. You can use flowery, descriptive language, but don't bore me to death with it.

Swift Molly's Motor Circus
Michelin Woodcraft Armour Bodies Spyder Leatherworks STT STG

UNAPOLOGETIC FAN OF THINGS THAT ARE OLD AND SLOW
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
As the gaseous giver of life shone in the eastern, its rays warming all that it touched, a Scarabaeidae Deltochilum gibbosum caught my gaze. Its exoskeleton reflecting the waves of energy that beamed through the solar system and peered through the fissures of the petro-chemical enclosure where I sat. This creature was searching with instinctual intent, driven by the amino-acid sequences genetically coded into it, through my excrement which was still littered with nutrients from caloric intake 8 hours previous.

Were you watching me?

Quote:
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 10:55 AM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

Read the book "The Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson and you will feel better about the state of language today.
post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Irony helps us play!

17 years ago the bell curve sat right around the 8th grade level for written communication. Basically that was determined to be the most 'effective' level to write at for communicating. I have no idea where that bell curve sits today.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:01 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_ag View Post
Read the book "The Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson and you will feel better about the state of language today.
Is that the one where he talks about language evolving and how English is the most limber of all languages?

I may have read that one at one time...but I'm terribly forgetfull.

I'd actually be smart if I remembered even half the stuff I've read!

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:03 AM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
17 years ago the bell curve sat right around the 8th grade level for written communication. Basically that was determined to be the most 'effective' level to write at for communicating. I have no idea where that bell curve sits today.
These days the bell curve sits at Press 1 for English.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:51 AM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
Is that the one where he talks about language evolving and how English is the most limber of all languages?

I may have read that one at one time...but I'm terribly forgetfull.

I'd actually be smart if I remembered even half the stuff I've read!
Yes that's the one. I thought it was a fabulous read, considering it's academic subject matter. He even talk about the history of the word "f*ck" and it's even more funny than the George Carlin bit where he conjugates the word.

http://www.acampbell.ukfsn.org/bookr.../r/bryson.html
http://www.amazon.com/Mother-Tongue-.../dp/0380715430
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:53 AM
The Benchwarmer

Sportbike: Ninja
Years Riding: Long
How you found us: Dong

jesus i had to take a nap halfway through that shit my brain was starting to hurt

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:03 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
here is a retard pissing me off on another forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmf View Post
i think [email protected] the cops [email protected] r pricks 2 bikers r the same cops [email protected] r pricks 2 every body period & more than likely beat there wife & kids also... "stunting" on a freeway while more easily visible & an easy target 4 the safetyresposibilitynazis is the very least of traffic issues considering the OVERWHELMING amount of dangerous inattentive reckless road raging car drivers... and [email protected] all fact , PERIOD

its not coherant and it takes more work to use the @ symbol that write at
We are going downhill.

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
It's hip to be dumb.

The idiots have always been there, they've only recently been brought to the forefront of our culture as celebrity

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode