Question to the masses..... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 10 CBR1000RR
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: SBN

Question to the masses.....

I thought about making a poll, but I donít know what answers to use. So here goes.

It seems that the sport bike population doesnít do much routine maintenance. Donít get me wrong I see a lot of people doing oil changes and what not. Are there any things that would entice you to visit a service department more often? Are there any gripes you have about service departments that you think should be changed? Please give me some of your ideas and insight. I am a sport bike rider, I live and breath sport bikes. When I started working in the industry it killed me to not see sport bike customers. Now that im in service its even worse! I appreciate your feedback and by no means am I trying to advertise or solicit on CLSB.

Face your FEARS,
live your DREAMS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:43 PM
How you like me now?

Sportbike: 06GSXR1000 totalled, wife's GS500
Years Riding: since Friday
How you found us: voices in my head told me

Send a message via Yahoo to Bratva5
I think most of the people do their own maintanance, for moustly 2 reasons. It's a lot cheaper, and trust issue.

Russ
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Depends on the rider. I know most of the guys at the track go over their stuff with a fine tooth comb, they may look like hell but they are well maintained. I think your average street riders may be a little lax in this dept though.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
i dont trust most service departements. I trust my own two hands. Most people dont do shit to maintain their bikes, luckily I'm not most people. If I had a great service department that I really trusted I'd take work to them.

Chris
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
only one I trust so far is MCC. not that I have a choice. I'm not touching the Ducati valves but I do everything else

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Lovin this Twin

Sportbike: 05 SV1000S, Wide Glide, DR350
Years Riding: 1/2 hour then it rained
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooligan
Id have to guess it has alot to do with price. turn around time, and trust.

This is gonna hurt!
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:50 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

i think a lot of the times its not so much the labor rates.

is it cheaper to do the labor on your own bike? sure it is!

but at what cost is it for 1/2 ass mechanics to do there own service? "your life is the answer when it comes down to it on most service issues" 1 being tires mainly.

but over the years and hearing complaints from thousands, hearing horror stories from mess up on there bikes, failed items checked or done. over charging for issues that wernt done correctly that resulted in repeat appointments.

time, money, time off work, all relate to frustration when it comes to dealing with service shops.

and to top it off, smart ass attitudes or the i don't know shit when someone comes back and say my bike is scratched, they forgot to put oil in my bike, or i am on the side of the road with my tire about to fall off, oil is pouring out of my bike, i still feel the same issue.

i know not all problems can be reproduced all the time and it takes time and patients and an honest person, to PASS on the feeling AS IF IT WAS MY BIKE i am working on.

very few shops have filled that need for me alone let alone from what ive seen or read from others.

the internet sometimes is nothing more then an area for people to BITCH! about bad issues. very rarely do the post of the good.

very rarely do the customers give the dealer a call back, and handle things the right way. sure you are frustrated, but swearing at people and trying to kick there ass helps no one.

shops need to be patient, respectful, courteous, and above all a clear and percise of what is what and what they are doing for the price we are paying you.

sometimes its not about money, sometimes it is.

lucky i have found a shop that i can grade 98% positive about. and you know what dealer that is VIP is what i get, and ive always gotten it from you guys with or with out them know who i am or even if i am a VIP member!

hope this helps your research.

p.s and like the others said, if i didnt make it EXACTLY clear. TRUSTING that mechanic with your life and or attention to DETAIL

Last edited by Odysseys; 08-13-2007 at 09:53 PM.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:50 PM

I like working on my own shit... Just because it gets me out of the house since all my wife wants to do is watch reality shows that are just plain stupid.
Plus it costs less...

Putting stainless steel braided brake lines on the cts-v tomorrow night...
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Move along

Sportbike: 08 GSXR 600
Years Riding: Day after yesterday
How you found us: referred

Send a message via AIM to Eugene
To me I look for

1. Price
2. Quality
3. Trust

Xbox Live: BrBGot2Pee
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

For me it is mainly price, but also time and trust. I ride almost 20k miles a year, which equals lots of maintenance. I have been to dealerships that take 3+ days to do oil changes. I commute on my bike, so down time is important to me. Then there is a price, most dealers in the area are charging around 80/hour for service. At that price they have forced me to be become a mechanic. With the help of friends on this board, I can change tires, oil, chain and sprockets for very little cost, add ebay and ronayers to the frey and you have many parts 50% off a dealer's price. I only go to dealerships for engine work, as I do not trust myself in that area .

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:57 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
damn, I gotta change my oil.

forgot.

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 10:09 PM

Sportbike: 05 CBR600RR
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: CBR Forum

Send a message via AIM to AgentofDarkness
I don't do that much maintenance. My bike is a POS and I really don't care how long it lasts. But the maintenance that has to be done I take care of if I can. Last time I took my bike in to have the tires changed, the tech installed the brake pads wrong and would have destroyed my caliper had I not noticed it and fixed it. There are some YouTube videos that show how to change the tires and adjust the chain and suck so I watched those and now I think I can do it my self.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentofDarkness View Post
I don't do that much maintenance. My bike is a POS and I really don't care how long it lasts. But the maintenance that has to be done I take care of if I can. Last time I took my bike in to have the tires changed, the tech installed the brake pads wrong and would have destroyed my caliper had I not noticed it and fixed it. There are some YouTube videos that show how to change the tires and adjust the chain and suck so I watched those and now I think I can do it my self.

Yeah, I know what you are talking about. I had my rear tire changed at a shop and they put the rear on the opposite way of the tread pattern, and left huge clamp dents in my rim. To this day, it takes a new tire a full day to form around the bends in my rim and seal. I only trust buddies to do my tire changes now.

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 10:14 PM
JMN
Fornello Del Testicolo

Sportbike: 996
Years Riding: since 85'
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
only one I trust so far is MCC. not that I have a choice. I'm not touching the Ducati valves but I do everything else
+1

(although I stopped in Superbike Italia and talked to the guy a bit and was impressed)

~Jesse

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 10:15 PM

Sportbike: ZX6R RIP............ 02 VFR RED
Years Riding: Second category rider.
How you found us: Friend

Trust is the issue for me.

My front tire is recalled and I trust it more then to take it to the dealer for a free change. I wonder if someone will do the recall if I just bring them the wheel?

George
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
I'm mechanically challenged and don't know jack, but I'll do my own maintenance.

Ask Cheyenne or Chapman

Turnaround time during peak season, cost, and trust are three main issues. We wanna be on the road!
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 10:40 PM
How you like me now?

Sportbike: 06GSXR1000 totalled, wife's GS500
Years Riding: since Friday
How you found us: voices in my head told me

Send a message via Yahoo to Bratva5
Oh yeah forgot about the turaround time. Wanted to ride when the bike was in the shop and the weather was great. Although Des Plaines Honda did a great job on the stater, now I even get better MPGs I guess due to better spark.

Russ
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 10:42 PM
^That's me

Sportbike: K4 GSXR 750 & K4 RMZ 250 & 2000 CR 250
Years Riding: 7 short years
How you found us: gixxer.com

Send a message via AIM to down_on_monday
I do most of my own maintenance and that includes tearing the engine down. I like to learn, so I can take that knowledge to help others or for my own personal use later on. Plus, if I need help or do not have time to fix something I take it to my friend's shop, who I have known for 20 years now. Plus price seems to be a big factor for a lot of people.

2000 Honda CR250R. 2004 Suzuki GSXR 750.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 10:44 PM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

Turn around time. I'd be happy to drop my bike off at the dealership every six months if I could get same day service. I know it's not a reality, but if I could have my bike serviced right then and there, I'd be forking over the cash to have a tech look at it.

For example, I have a bar end that keeps coming loose. If I could have a new one installed and have you guys throw some blue lock tight in there in 15 minutes, I'd have it done already. Instead, I have to schedule an appointment, wait for the date and hope I don't have a conflict, drop the bike, find a ride home, then do it all over again to pick the bike up three to seven days later. Fuck that!

Seriously, not having a ride home after dropping my bike off is a huge reason I don't have my bike serviced as much as I should.

Or I could do it myself and have it go something like this...go online, order the part, pray the right part ships, be home when they deliver it, pray it wasn't broken during shipping, get up the energy to install it myself knowing I am going to fuck something up and have it take me three hours.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..

Last edited by whiteSeatEnvy; 08-13-2007 at 10:53 PM.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 01:28 AM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk

I always take my S4 to the dealer, exept for oil changes. MCC always takes care of me. My work is always done right, on time, and they always check the air pressure in my tires. It is the little things. I needed a tune put on my bike, and they squeezed replacing my front pads also. A friend got a '01 monster 900 with less than 1K miles a month ago. He had a flat, and changed his tires. He fucked something up, and he had to replace the swingarm, wheel, axle, ect. For me overall, it is cheaper/easier to have the dealer work on my bike.
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 07:19 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Wow, sportbike guys don't do maintenance?

I'd disagree. Take 50 guys with cars, 2 might do their own basic maintenance of the guys that I spend most of my time. 2 would be a generous number, more likeley close to zero.

Now, take the same number of sportbike guys. Out of the same 50, 48 would do their own basic maintenance. The other 2 would most likely ask a friend for help. Of course, take into consideration that I ride at the track almost every weekend from March 4 until November 12. Street guys I'd say that the maintenance number is well over 50% that does some basic maintenance.

Problems with shops?
I have RARELY heard that a shop did good turnaround, had good attention to detail, took care of the bike as well as the owner would have, and did it in a timely fashion at a good price.

Note: BBK & Woodfield have both down AWESOME jobs supporting my bikes over the years. BBK has usually had a faster turnaround for me, and they'll even pick my bikes up at my house, free of charge.
For motor/dyno work, I use MD Racing. Matt has my KWS bike right now for a refresh, I'll have it back for Blackhawk all mean again and ready to rock and roll. BTW - he picked it up at the track, he'll deliver it back to the track for me.

Now, take into consideration that for the most part, sportbike owners are a fairly cheap bunch of folks. Now you can see that there is some logic to doing it yourself. Combine that with the dealer saying I can get to your bike in a week or two... and you have a recipe for MORE reason to do your own work.

I have Dyno mapping and engine work done by shops. ANYTHING else I do myself. My bikes might have some rough edges cosmetically, but mechanically, they are as good as I can get them. I put my bikes through knee on the deck turns all day most every Saturday and Sunday. At 3000 plus turns a day on average at track speeds, I try to keep my bikes in tip top physical shape, as I am sure most everyone that rides the track does.

Just my .02

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen

Last edited by Wink; 08-14-2007 at 07:22 AM.
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 07:27 AM
vroom vroom

Sportbike: '05 Z750S
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: Katanaplanet

I do my own maintenance as well. Turn-around time and to a lesser extent cost are the reasons I do the work myself. I have had work done in the past at a couple of shops and they did good work, but it would take weeks to have the bike looked at. After that, I learned how to do it myself.

-Mike
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few

I would never take my bike to a service dept. I don't trust anyone else to work on my stuff and I'm not paying $75 / hour for labor

FWIW I think the majority of sportbike riders take very good care of their bikes on their own

Eric
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:03 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03

I turn my own wrenches and enlist help or direction in tasks I'm new too.

I figure my bike is safer with an attentive mechanic who might not know yet what he's doing, then with a 'professional' who might just be rushing through yet another job on book time.

Most of the maintenance is quite simple if you take the time to read the manual, have the proper tools, and methodically go through the steps.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach View Post

Most of the maintenance is quite simple if you take the time to read the manual, have the proper tools, and methodically go through the steps.
+1

Even stuff I've never done before is usually easier than I origionally think.
It's a motorcycle not a space shuttle. No reason not to do just about anything yourself

Eric
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Are you smokin crack again I wouldn't let them touch my ducs...ask Vivid...they screwed up her ST3 and 900SS...they might be fine to sell bikes, but service....HELL NO!

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Maintenance I'll do myself....I way too busy to arrange the whole thing with a dealer...even if I trust them. I have the tools, I have the shop manuals...and do it on my time. My only complaint, when I do my own maintenance, I'm sssssllllllloooooowwwww, but I hate rushing.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:40 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC1957 View Post
Are you smokin crack again I wouldn't let them touch my ducs...ask Vivid...they screwed up her ST3 and 900SS...they might be fine to sell bikes, but service....HELL NO!
They toasted the ECU on my buddy's 996 last summer as well. Fried.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosha View Post
Trust is the issue for me.

My front tire is recalled and I trust it more then to take it to the dealer for a free change. I wonder if someone will do the recall if I just bring them the wheel?
I would recommend going to Racer Cafe I imagine it's a pilot. They had my new tires on in one day. No issues with marks on rims and they are perfect. Highly recommend them.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:52 AM
Resident Slow Guy

Sportbike: Ain't got none!
Years Riding: Since May 21, 2011
How you found us: The intarwebz

Send a message via Yahoo to ENutz
for me its price trust and turn around time. i know of a few places i could go to depending on what i need to have done.

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

"Nigga if you ride, nigga you gon fall!" - Katt Williams

Ashwin Gopal, David Ryan, Baby Ronin Tyler, John George, Chris Kotacka aka 'Arch', Eva Grzegorczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob, Esq. View Post
image v. substance. Some people want to be motorcyclists, others just want to be seen as motorcyclists.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode