Question for the pilots here - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: FJR1300
Years Riding: greater than a decade.
How you found us: google

Send a message via AIM to NickIF
Question for the pilots here

I've always wanted to fly and I'm going to try and make it happen in spring time. Looking at Palwaukee flight school's website ( palwaukeeflightschool.com )I see there are different licensing levels. Can someone explain them to me. They offer:

Solo Pilot Certification

Recreational Pilot Certification

Private Pilot Certification

Instrument Rating

Commercial Pilot Certification

Certified Flight Instructor

The solo certification level is from 1500-2500 and the price increases from there. To get to instrument rating it's about 20k. What will allow me to rent a single engine cesna or the like and fly around the neighboring states? I don't know anything about the flight schools so if someone can steer me some place better or cheaper please do so! I'm on the NW side of chicago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Also does anyone know anything about the Lewis University program? They offer a degree in aviation flight that will get me my commercial license. My flight school is going to be limited to colleges that offer degree programs that would get me my license so if there are any other in the area please let me know!
post #3 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Formerly Known as Justaguy

Sportbike: YZF
Years Riding: next question
How you found us: you found me

Send a message via MSN to Medwin Send a message via Skype™ to Medwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickIF View Post
r

What will allow me to rent a single engine cesna or the like and fly around the neighboring states? I don't know anything about the flight schools so if someone can steer me some place better or cheaper please do so! I'm on the NW side of chicago.

You need a private pilot certificate to rent a plane. I suggest you stay away from flight schools that are close to the city (like Palwaukee), because they take advantage of their location by charging extra. I highly recommend Lumanair @ aurora airport; http://www.lumanair.com/training.htm. I used to work for them and they're the cheapest flight school around.
post #4 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Thank GOD!!! I thought something had happened to Nick, I hadn't seen a post with this weeks new career questions in a long time

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #5 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I've always wanted to fly and I'm going to try and make it happen in spring time. Looking at Palwaukee flight school's website ( palwaukeeflightschool.com )I see there are different licensing levels. Can someone explain them to me. They offer:

Solo Pilot Certification

Recreational Pilot Certification

Private Pilot Certification

Instrument Rating

Commercial Pilot Certification

Certified Flight Instructor

The solo certification level is from 1500-2500 and the price increases from there. To get to instrument rating it's about 20k. What will allow me to rent a single engine cesna or the like and fly around the neighboring states? I don't know anything about the flight schools so if someone can steer me some place better or cheaper please do so! I'm on the NW side of chicago.
Solo is what you get on your way to private pilot or rec pilot. As solo, you must get your instructors approval to where and when you fly. Mostly it's to log hours without an instructor for practice. Comes usually 15-30 hours from your first lesson.

Rec pilot is one where you might as well go for private. Almost the same...you can't take people up with you and must stay within 50 miles of the airport.

Private is the standard of what most get. Bring $7-$10k to the table because that will be your approximate expenses but this is the cert to get for starters. Let's you fly anywhere in a single engine plane with less than 180hp (I think 180). Rentals today you're talking $100 or so an hour, so once you're cert'd, that's what you can expect to pay.

Instrument is usually next after Private and usually highly suggested. Same thing but let's you fly in low or zero visibility under instruments and guidance from controllers (though they still work with you somewhat if you're VFR only).

Commercial and Instructor you don't really need to worry about. I wouldn't even think much about them for your first few hundred hours until you decide you want to do it. But alone the way there's different levels to each of those as well as other certs like complex planes and high performance that you'd also need to get. http://studentpilot.com is your best place for answers. But know that it's both very time consuming and expensive right off the bat. Start to finish to get your commercial or ATP is probably around $50k assuming you go away to school for it. I haven't checked the numbers in a while, but that's a guess if I recall correctly though it could be more.

Also, the main reason people become instructors is to build hours since you log them when you're with a student and on your way to being a pilot for a living. The only other reason is just guys who love it...there's a few "old timers" who instruct and it's almost always better to learn with them because they don't get moved around like your young guys who want in with airlines.

Unfortunately today there are a lot of closings when it comes to flight schools and rental places because of gas prices. When I started, I rented my plane for $75 an hour with gas. Now it's $100 at minimum almost everywhere, there's usually a few surcharges and a lot of places now require monthly fees. Boran (sp?) in Palwaukee is where I'm looking to rent from $85/hr so great rate, but the problem is that they have something like 4 planes. On a nice sunny day your odds of getting one are not so much.

So I'm not trying to make flying sound like a downer, it's the best thing out there and I'd pick it over motorcycles any day, however it's very time consuming to learn/practice and very expensive. So just trying to point out the crappy part. But once you do it, you'll never wanna land (unless it's to take right back off again )
post #6 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 08:59 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Won't this get in the way of your Factory Motard ride for next season?

What up?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #7 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 09:23 PM

Sportbike: ??<-COMING SOON
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: Some dude

Check out Lewis University, located in romeoville IL and a lot closer than where your looking.
post #8 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Palwaukee is in O'hare airspace :
post #9 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Illegitimi non Carborundu

Sportbike: That Bike
Years Riding: That Long
How you found us: Google Search for "sexy."

Send a message via AIM to Paul Send a message via MSN to Paul Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
As stated, it depends on why you want to fly and what type of commitment you want to make toward it. Like taking a bike to the track, there is more to it than showing up and riding. The expense of flying has sky rocketed lately.

Go for the Private License and chill out with that for now. Like Biggy said, 7-10k depending on the school. Another good reason for staying away from Chicago metro airports is the fact that you are renting the plane you are training in. I took lessons at Midway back in the day and I regreted it. At least 10 hours of waiting for commercial traffic all-told. At 90 an hour for rent, plus gas, that adds up.

If your flying is purely for fun, getting IFR rated is not necessary but is highly recommened once you have the money to do so. Once you are an IFR pilot, it opens up your ability to fly in most conditions and in most planes with the right ratings.

Renting a plane is somewhat risky in that you are depending on others for maintenance. Yes, you have full view of the log, but there is a different feeling in flying a plane you are more intimate with concerning maintenance. A club would be a better route - or partial ownership. It really depends on finances because flying is an extremely expensive hobby. My Cessna expenses last year were about 22k. That covered storage, maintenance, insurance, and actual flying I did. You don't even want to know what it's like for a more high performance aircraft.

Take the cheap intro flights offered by most schools. I don't think anyone does it for free, but for a couple hundred dollars, you can go up for an hour-or-so and learn about the controls and instrumentation. You will also get to take control of the plane for a bit. That's a good way to determine if it is right for you. From there, be prepared to drop some cash on the hobby. If timing is right, you could even go up with me in the Cirrus. I may give you a better view of things than you might get otherwise as well. I have over 6,000 hours in single and twin engine aircraft and don't regret any of it. Making changes to save me some money lately, but I will never stop flying.

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
2013 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special Owner

Last edited by Paul; 08-19-2007 at 09:27 PM.
post #10 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Thank GOD!!! I thought something had happened to Nick, I hadn't seen a post with this weeks new career questions in a long time

He just wants to fly not take off and land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #11 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Illegitimi non Carborundu

Sportbike: That Bike
Years Riding: That Long
How you found us: Google Search for "sexy."

Send a message via AIM to Paul Send a message via MSN to Paul Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
Palwaukee is in O'hare airspace :
The nice thing about taking lessons in a controlled airport is get more of a feel for things. I would stay out of airports close to Chicago like was mentioned. Schaumberg is even too close. Kankakee or Aurora or DeKalb would be the best spots. Controlled airports without the "waiting" I mentioned above.

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
2013 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special Owner
post #12 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 09:37 PM
The Benchwarmer

Sportbike: Ninja
Years Riding: Long
How you found us: Dong

Quote:
Also does anyone know anything about the Lewis University program? They offer a degree in aviation flight that will get me my commercial license. My flight school is going to be limited to colleges that offer degree programs that would get me my license so if there are any other in the area please let me know!
my friends and i all went to lewis and its a terrible flight program, one of them spent like 15k there, all 4 years 100+ hours of flight and still never got his private, their regulations and the way they do shit there is insane. i do not suggest it.

all the schools here in the city are going to rape your wallet, its an expensive thing to get into 7k-10k a license. youll end up spending bout 50-60k to get all the licenses.

your best shots are taking out that kinda loan and going to a flight school outta state like flightsafety down in florida, or any of the ATP schools.

if you wanna stick local chicago, i suggest american flyers or midway aviators. or maybe even going out of the city like justaguy suggesta nd getting into aurora or even kankakee

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot

Last edited by Village Idiot; 08-19-2007 at 09:40 PM.
post #13 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Tons of great answers above... so I won't do a lot of detail.

Lumanair is good, and Aurora is a great airport to learn at.
I learned at Schaumburg, I'd recommend going to Aurora or DuPage.

Private Pilot - license that you know how to follow a road from the air. This is the minimum that anyone should get. The lower two are jokes imho.

Commercial - wanna job? You need this one and then your ATP.

Instrument - Wanna fly in bad weather? Wanna REALLY know how to fly? This is the target that you need to get to. Until you pass your IFR, you have no clue what a bad pilot you were as a Private.

Multi & Sea are also nice ratings to get.

Private Target price if you are talented, AND you learn quickly, is about $7k. If you lack in either, double it.

Minumum hours:
Private - 40
Instrument - 125
Commercial - 250
ATP - 1500
(unless they have changed things)

Enjoy.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #14 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Formerly Known as Justaguy

Sportbike: YZF
Years Riding: next question
How you found us: you found me

Send a message via MSN to Medwin Send a message via Skype™ to Medwin
I went to Lewis and I never had a problem (but we're talking 14 years ago). BTW, the flight training is not covered by your student loan,,,,just so you know.
post #15 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Guys money is no object as long as it's a degree program. So far Lewis is the only college that offers that. Can you explain in greater detail why lewis is bad? This is not a career, it's something I've wanted to do since I was old enough to know what airplanes are. I have my career, they are the ones that are kind enough to pay for all of this as long as it lands me with a degree... so as I said money is no object. For the last couple months I've been trying to figure out what I want to go to school for (first) since it's all free. I've been throwing $$$$ vs. enjoyment back and forth and I think I finally found something that excites me.
post #16 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Quote:

...and I really liked Morris Airport

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #17 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 09:53 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

Quote:
+1

post #18 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 09:57 PM
The Benchwarmer

Quote:
Guys money is no object as long as it's a degree program. So far Lewis is the only college that offers that. Can you explain in greater detail why lewis is bad? This is not a career, it's something I've wanted to do since I was old enough to know what airplanes are. I have my career, they are the ones that are kind enough to pay for all of this as long as it lands me with a degree... so as I said money is no object. For the last couple months I've been trying to figure out what I want to go to school for (first) since it's all free. I've been throwing $$$$ vs. enjoyment back and forth and I think I finally found something that excites me.
ill tell you that everyone that went to lewis the 4 years i was there (just graduated in 06, '02-'06) everyone hated the flight program there and no one majored in flight either, they all changed their majors from flight to aviation administration instead with minors in dispatch.

my friends all say that at lewis they don't fly enough, the instructors don't push the students enough, very hard to move forward in the license/program; it seems like they keep you back on the stage checks just to get more money out of you, which doesn't make sense b/c if everyone was moving forward, people would be getting more licenses and ratings out of it. in 4 years my friends either got 0 licenses from them or if they were lucky got to at least their instrument..... thats in 4 years. if you went out of state to an FBO instead you'd probably have all your licenses in under a year anywhere else. my one friend after graduating from lewis went down to flightsafety in florida and was there about 5-8 months........ hes now flying an erj145 jet for TSA

if you want a aviation program/degree from a university id probably point you to purdue instead.

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot

Last edited by Village Idiot; 08-19-2007 at 10:00 PM.
post #19 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 09:58 PM
YO MAMA

join the air force man.

post #20 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 10:03 PM
The Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
join the air force man.
if you wanna dedicate your life to them sure. but its a tricky thing youre not guaranteed a flight slot with them. you could though, ive thought about it too. cause then id be flying for them making good money and then collecting fuckin pension in 20 years. and then go to an airline and collect pension from them too..

double pension anyone?

post #21 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

It has to be in IL, remember I have a career, this is just for enjoyment/bettering myself. I would be retarded to join the military at this point in my career, I'm way to "set" already and make way to much money at my real job. I will also be retired if I want when I'm 42 depending on how other things pan out. As I see it right now though I love my job and won't quit until I'm forced to.
post #22 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Quote:
I make way to much money at my real job. to.
Glad to hear that is actually possible.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #23 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
if you wanna dedicate your life to them sure. but its a tricky thing youre not guaranteed a flight slot with them. you could though, ive thought about it too. cause then id be flying for them making good money and then collecting fuckin pension in 20 years. and then go to an airline and collect pension from them too..

double pension anyone?
It's VERY difficult to fly in the AF...been there, tried that

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #24 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 10:09 PM
The Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerkMX View Post
It's VERY difficult to fly in the AF...been there, tried that
this is what i hear and why im scared to even try it.

id rather take my 60k loan and run down south where the sun shines 24/7 and just build my shit in 6 months..... but banks gotta trust me first

post #25 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 10:09 PM
YO MAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
Glad to hear that is actually possible.
no shit, what are you doing again for work again?

i own 3 business and i still cant say that!

post #26 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
no shit, what are you doing again for work again?

i own 3 business and i still cant say that!
My ass... you surf the web all day and call me. you are way over paid for that

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #27 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 10:13 PM
YO MAMA

Quote:
My ass... you surf the web all day and call me. you are way over paid for that
yeah but, but, but, i still dont make comments like that

post #28 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Pimpin aint easy

- Ronald Reagan

post #29 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
my friends and i all went to lewis and its a terrible flight program, one of them spent like 15k there, all 4 years 100+ hours of flight and still never got his private, their regulations and the way they do shit there is insane. i do not suggest it.

all the schools here in the city are going to rape your wallet, its an expensive thing to get into 7k-10k a license. youll end up spending bout 50-60k to get all the licenses.

your best shots are taking out that kinda loan and going to a flight school outta state like flightsafety down in florida, or any of the ATP schools.

if you wanna stick local chicago, i suggest american flyers or midway aviators. or maybe even going out of the city like justaguy suggesta nd getting into aurora or even kankakee
If your friend did 100 hours in 4 years it's no wonder he never got the license. It's like learning how to use a clutch on the motorcycle and then coming back 3 weeks later to learn 1st gear...chances are you have to relearn the clutch again and will be wasting your money.

The #1 thing with lessons that I suggest. Have all the cash in hand...do not go from paycheck to paycheck, go as often as possible and have the money ready to be shelled out.
post #30 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:

Degree? Ok so that's not just flying. You're going through 4 years of school in aeronautics? Flying lessons at Palwaukee won't cut it I believe. You'll have to go through everything in college. Anyone know better?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode