as usual.. something that annoys me - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
as usual.. something that annoys me

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,293757,00.html

Quote:
LOS ANGELES An immigration activist who took refuge in a Chicago church for a year to avoid being separated from her son has been deported to Mexico, the church's pastor said.

Elvira Arellano was arrested Sunday afternoon outside Our Lady Queen of Angels church in Los Angeles. She was deported several hours later, said the Rev. Walter Coleman, pastor of Adalberto United Methodist Church in Chicago, where Arellano had taken refuge.

"She has been deported. She is free and in Tijuana," said Coleman, who said he spoke to her on the phone. "She is in good spirits. She is ready to continue the struggle against the separation of families from the other side of the border."

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement in Chicago confirmed the arrest Sunday. Spokeswoman Gail Montenegro said the agency would have further details on the deportation Monday.

RelatedStories
Illegal Alien Hiding in Church to Come Out and Lobby Congress Churches in 5 Cities to Offer Sanctuary to Illegal Immigrants Son of Illegal Immigrant Who Took Refuge in Church Heading to Mexico to Seek Support Officers Won't Enter Chicago Church for Single Mother Illegal Immigrant Illegal Immigrant Woman Stays in Church to Avoid Deportation Photo Essays
Illegal Immigrant Mom Deported Monitor the situation at FOXNews.com's Immigration Center.

Arellano, 32, became a symbol of the struggles of illegal immigrant parents when she took refuge in the church to avoid being separated from her 8-year-old son, a U.S. citizen.

She had said Saturday she was not afraid of being taken into custody by immigration agents.

"From the time I took sanctuary the possibility has existed that they arrest me in the place and time they want," she said in Spanish. "I only have two choices. I either go to my country, Mexico, or stay and keep fighting. I decided to stay and fight."

Arellano came to Washington state illegally in 1997. She was deported to Mexico shortly after, but returned and moved to Illinois in 2000, taking a job cleaning planes at O'Hare International Airport.

Click here for local reaction on the arrest from MyFOXChicago.com.

She was arrested in 2002 at O'Hare and convicted of working under a false Social Security number. She was to surrender to authorities last year.

She sought refuge at the storefront church on Chicago's West Side on Aug. 15, 2006. She had not left the church property until she decided to travel by car to Los Angeles, Coleman said.

Coleman said Arellano, who is staying with a friend in Tijuana, had brought to light her struggle, and for that, "she has won a victory."

"She'll be organizing on the Mexican side of the border while we're organizing in the [United] States," Coleman said Monday. "She'll be talking to organizations throughout Mexico and congressmen in Mexico City."

Coleman said he and other activists will continue Arellano's original plan to go to Washington, D.C. and take part in a prayer meeting and rally for immigration reform at the Capitol on Sept. 12.

Immigration activists responded with anger to her arrest, and promised protests and vigils to support her.

"We are sad, but at the same time we are angry," said Javier Rodriguez, a Chicago immigration activist who worked with Arellano. "How dare they arrest this woman?"

Anti-illegal immigrant groups said the arrest was long overdue.

"Just because the woman has gone public and made an issue of the fact that she is defying law doesn't mean the government doesn't have to do its job," said Ira Mehlman, of the Federation for American Immigration Reform, which favors limits on immigration.

Arellano has repeatedly called for a stop to immigration raids that break up families with some members who are in the U.S. legally and others illegally.

Emma Lozano, Coleman's wife and head of immigration rights group Centro Sin Fronteras in Chicago, said she was Saul's legal guardian. At an afternoon news conference in Los Angeles, the boy hid behind Lozano and wiped away tears.

"He's taking it better than we thought he would," Lozano said.

While being arrested, Arellano spoke briefly with her son before submitting to authorities, Lozano said.

"She calmed him down, hugged him and gave him a blessing," said Lozano.

I think the church that was harboring a criminal should be punished and have their tax exempt status revoked.

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Do you have kids?

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
Do you have kids?
nope.

why doesnt the kid go to mexico then if they want to be together instead of continuing to break our laws.

Trial By Fire.
Like our page!

Quote:
-Archer
post #4 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiReBReTHa View Post
nope.

why doesnt the kid go to mexico then if they want to be together instead of continuing to break our laws.
If you ever get the opportunity to be in the position to want what's best for your kid, you might understand why some people are willing to do what they do for their kids.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #5 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 10:44 AM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

She and the rest of that movement are putting that little kid through hell. Its not what's best for him in my opinion. A stable life would be a much better idea. And her getting arrested, its all part of their media plan.

And I don't have kids. And I don't need to have kids to have an opinion about kids. I am so sick of that 'well you don't have kids argument.'

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #6 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

so we should let a woman who doesnt care to learn english, doesnt care to follow proper procedure to come into this country legally and continues to break the law with falsifying identity to be allowed around children.

if she wants to do the best thing forher kids she should learn to play by the rules.

Trial By Fire.
Like our page!

Quote:
-Archer
post #7 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 10:47 AM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
Just like with OJ Simpson, I understand but that don't make it right.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #8 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
She and the rest of that movement are putting that little kid through hell. Its not what's best for him in my opinion. A stable life would be a much better idea. And her getting arrested, its all part of their media plan.
Everyone always has an opinion of what's best for someone's child. Perhaps she has first hand knowledge of the shit life the child would have back in her home country and made the choice based on that.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #9 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 10:50 AM
You got the talkin' done

Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!

Quote:
Everyone always has an opinion of what's best for someone's child. Perhaps she has first hand knowledge of the shit life the child would have back in her home country and made the choice based on that.
They have used him as a pawn and they cloak it with the 'I'm doing it for him bs.' She only cares about herself. Its really sad.

post #10 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Darwin was right

Sportbike: Buell X1
Years Riding: 5 yrs
How you found us: search engine

Wow, I don't agree with separating families, but at the same time doesn't the mother have to make some choices? Couldn't she take her son to Mexico with her or is that not permitted?

I have mixed thoughts on this, I certainly don't agree with breaking the law and then saying "how dare they deport her". As citzens of the US we are expected to abide by laws of our country. It is difficult to find sympathy when some basically disregards/disrespects the laws that the rest of us have to abide by. I am not in her shoes so I can't say first hand what I would do, but I am inclined to say I would take my child home with me back to Mexico.

Also, I don't agree with how we define who is a US citizen. I think the defining factor of what determines if someone should be considered a US citzen should be traced back to parent(s) US citizenship at the time of childbirth, otherwise many illegals would be crossing the border just to squirt out a child so their kids could be US citzents. Just my $.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
more so prove it with pictures, i don't think you could get laid in a monkey whore house with a fist full of bananas.
post #11 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
They have used him as a pawn and they cloak it with the 'I'm doing it for him bs.' She only cares about herself. Its really sad.
No doubt people on both sides are using her and her child as a pawn. That's what opportunists do for political and social causes on both sides of any issue.

I don't see, however, how you can presume to speak on behalf of her own motivation especially where it concerns her child.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #12 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiReBReTHa View Post
so we should let a woman who doesnt care to learn english, doesnt care to follow proper procedure to come into this country legally and continues to break the law with falsifying identity to be allowed around children.

if she wants to do the best thing forher kids she should learn to play by the rules.
Damn yeah man, what kind of example does this set for the child?

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #13 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
The authorities are making a statement that they are enforcing their laws. She can come back into the country if she does it right.

None of this drama would have happened if she would have come here legally in the first place.

Immigrants that jump through hoops to get in here the right way HATE the fact that these cheaters do the same thing they're doing illegally. The legal ones really frown upon it because it puts a blanket stereotype on the legal ones.

She's wrong and knows it. She broke the law. If she was going to do "what's best" for her kid, she should have obeyed the laws. She'll be back, trust me. They all come back one way or another.
post #14 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 11:11 AM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

One down, 1,999,999 to go.

I have no problems with LEGAL immigrants. Having a U.S. born child is not a free ticket. I know lots of people who have immigrated here legally. It can't be that damn hard. Some of the ones I know are idiots, and they got in.
post #15 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
anyone notice - anchor baby?
came here 1997 kid 8yrs old. 1999

that needs to change.
Ah yes, while they are changing Amendment 14, maybe they should change Amendment 2 as well?

Nah, maybe we should leave that document just the way it is.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #16 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 11:31 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03

Quote:
I think if she REALLY had her son's best interest in mind and not some alterior, freedom-fighting motives, then the simple answer would be to legally become a U.S. Citizen so she can stay with her son in the country. It can't be that difficult to learn a language and get citizenship.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #17 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach View Post
I think if she REALLY had her son's best interest in mind and not some alterior, freedom-fighting motives, then the simple answer would be to legally become a U.S. Citizen so she can stay with her son in the country. It can't be that difficult to learn a language and get citizenship.
Not knowing what conditions or where she lived prior, I'm temped to believe that she's acting on what she feels is best for her future or her child's future; deciding that the risk of what may come outweighs the plight of being back from where she originated.

If she had left behind a job and a decent clean and safe place to live, I would be tempted to agree with you.

The simple fact is, neither of us know the conditions the child would go back to.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #18 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 11:37 AM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
There has been plenty of SE Asians who were separated from their children during the war. The child or child's guardian can apply with INS and start the process of getting the Mom legal papers. I know plenty of people that sponsored their parents/children. It takes about 5 years from start to finish.

But alas it is quicker to go the illegal way.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #19 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maoisn View Post
There has been plenty of SE Asians who were separated from their children during the war. The child or child's guardian can apply with INS and start the process of getting the Mom legal papers. I know plenty of people that sponsored their parents/children. It takes about 5 years from start to finish.

But alas it is quicker to go the illegal way.
I didn't read where it said the child ends up.. Ward of the state of California or does she have legal family here?

Everyone Exaggerates

post #20 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 11:43 AM
You got the talkin' done

Quote:
Not knowing what conditions or where she lived prior, I'm temped to believe that she's acting on what she feels is best for her future or her child's future.
Not knowing the conditions, I'm more than tempted to believe this is all about her and the "movement." In the end it doesn't matter.

That kid will be taken care of Rev Walter Coleman pastor of the cAdalberto United Methodist Chuch in Chicago and his activist wife. I think that tells you who is pulling the strings in this situation. The mother and the child are being used as pawns under the guise of that it is what is best for him.

Last edited by jrock; 08-20-2007 at 11:46 AM.
post #21 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Not knowing the conditions, I'm more than tempted to believe this is all about her and the "movement."
Ah yes, she joined the conspiracy back in 1997 when she went to Washington State. Damned Immigration-Sleeper Cells.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #22 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 11:44 AM

Sportbike: Moto Guzzi V-11 sport
Years Riding: since 1998
How you found us: .

My biggest gripe is that she's now an "activist". (I'll have to remember this tactic if I get a speeding ticket...I'm not a criminal, I'm a traffic flow activist )

Also, if she had a job, where did she get her social security #? (obviously not from an official agency responsible for this activity) Granted the people who are stealing the #'s should be locked up, but she's equally guilty of this crime by buying one.

Look, I can appreciate this. I was young too, I felt just like you. Hated authority, hated all my bosses, thought they were full of shit. Look, it's like they say, if you're not a rebel by the age of 20, you got no heart, but if you haven't turned establishment by 30, you've got no brains. Because there are no story-book romances, no fairy-tale endings. So before you run out and change the world, ask yourself, "What do you really want?"
post #23 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditCPA View Post
My biggest gripe is that she's now an "activist". (I'll have to remember this tactic if I get a speeding ticket...I'm not a criminal, I'm a traffic flow activist )

Also, if she had a job, where did she get her social security #? (obviously not from an official agency responsible for this activity) Granted the people who are stealing the #'s should be locked up, but she's equally guilty of this crime by buying one.
Just make up 9 digits. Not every employer checks them properly. It's amazing what they'll overlook for cheap labor.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #24 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Quote:
Just make up 9 digits. Not every employer checks them properly. It's amazing what they'll overlook for cheap labor.
way to go ohare airport!

Trial By Fire.
Like our page!

Quote:
-Archer
post #25 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 12:01 PM

Let's not forget the kid is a U.S. citizen. Maybe you don't agree with the part of the constitution that says if you're born here you are a citizen (you know, the part that made you a citizen), but that's the law.

I like the comment that if she wants to be she should come here legally - as if she had the option to legally immigrate but decided that coming in illegally would be more fun.

It just seems really dumb that we would force a US citizen to choose between staying here and going into foster care, or leaving the country of his birthright to be with his mother. If you're an adult all you need is a marriage license and the person you love can stay. This is a young kid and there is no way for the person he needs most in the world to stay.
post #26 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 12:05 PM

Touchy??

Im not gona go all political, but it was a bad precedent to set, leaving her here for over a year. But then she has to rub our noses in it on the news periodically? Then travel 2000 miles to do it again? With plans on traveling another 3000 miles to go to Wash? I dont get that much travel in and Im not only legal, but I work 2 jobs.
post #27 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 12:15 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie Random View Post
Let's not forget the kid is a U.S. citizen. Maybe you don't agree with the part of the constitution that says if you're born here you are a citizen (you know, the part that made you a citizen), but that's the law.

The kid is staying. No problem there.
post #28 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 12:24 PM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker View Post
The kid is staying. No problem there.
It probably would have cost the tax payers less to have the mother here supporting that child on her own with her own earnings. Now, we all get to pay for it. Yipee!

Since she was using a fake SSN also, that means that FICA taxes were being paid from her check but since they were going into an account that was not hers, she'd never get that money back either.

So, this kills a surplus condition of FICA tax money in her case, more than likely adds another Dependant to the 'system' and separates a mother and child. Brilliant!

Everyone Exaggerates

post #29 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 12:28 PM

Sportbike: XB12R, H1, TTR125
Years Riding: I still have some money left...
How you found us: old member

Quote:
If you ever get the opportunity to be in the position to want what's best for your kid, you might understand why some people are willing to do what they do for their kids.
Also, if there is risk to your kids, you have to recognize those actual consequences too. She didn't seem to care.

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing
Super Dave's Race Against Childhood Cancer
post #30 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 12:31 PM

I came to this country in 1984. If I can do it, so can she!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode