Buying computer need help - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Buying computer need help

I need to buy a computer. I am think of getting a Dell 4550. But I was also looking at getting a refurbished computer, Good idea or not?
Where can I find the cheapest place to buy online?
I looking for 2ghz or more, 256 MB and a CD burner. I going to be using the computer mostly for sufering the web and word documents.
any suggestions would be great

ccs #282
SM-USA #88
R6
Yz 426
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
if you are just going to use it for surfing and word, 400mhz and 256mb ram will run winXP or win2k easily. get one off ebay for a hundo.

Chris
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 12:44 PM

Sportbike: 2005 busa; Husky 610E
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: Jesus

just stick with the dell, I don't think you will save that much on a refurbished on to make it worth it. Also when checking prices log in as consumer and get a price and then log in as small business and get a price. Sometimes one gets a better price then the other even for the same setup. Also dell has free shipping 95% of the time. If they don't now wait a week till they do. Also it might be cheaper to get 128 mb of ram and then just go to best buy and get another 512mb of ram for around $80. 256 is ok but 512 is much better.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 12:51 PM

Dell usually has awesome bargains once a month - this one is pretty good but my buddy just one and his deal was a little cheaper, but no flat panel:

New Dell Small Biz Sale - 2Ghz Desktop w/LCD $499 shipped free, Apr 17

Dell Small Business has a FREE Palm Zire PDA, Lexmark Z35 Printer, or Largan Digital Camera with Select Systems (shipping extra) Free shipping too. Tax is charged. Save up to $200 when you buy a Flat Panel with a desktop. Dimension 2350 desktop with Flat Panel Monitor starts at $499!, Inspiron 1100 notebook with a P4 processor from $699.

5% off Select Flat Panel Monitors with code: E7C0E60604F

Budget Desktop with LCD

Dimension 2350 desktop Celeron-2Ghz 128MB DDR Memory/30GB 7200RPM HD, 15" e151fp LCD, 48x CD, Ethernet, 6months ISP, XP Home desktop $499 shipped free, save $130.

Click Amazing Desktop. Outrageous Price, Customize it on cheapest, Free PDA/Printer/Camera - Continue, Continue, Add to cart

check out Techbargains they are the best place to keep an eye on this stuff...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 01:39 PM
Please attend carefully..

Sportbike: 2000 ZX6R (the green one!)
Years Riding: 2000
How you found us: I've been here a while...

Be resigned to one fact: next week you will be able to get a better deal.

I don't know how long you keep your computers, but ensure that you have enough capacity in RAM for any future upgrades of software or operating systems. And software updates lately are requiring more RAM and hard drive space. This is especially true considering you will be web surfing and will want a good up-to-date anti-virus program.

I think 2 GHz and 256 MB RAM is a good start. And a CD burner is a MUST!! (I'm partial to externals myself, although my Dell laptop has a CD-RW/DVD-R combo).

Also, Dell has 0% for 6 months financing; others might too. You also will want to call the 1-800 number, the customer service rep may give you extra $$$ off the purchase price.

But the bottom line is to shop around.

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - JP2

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

"everyone's a nutjob, some just have more restraint than others" - EndlessRR
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 01:44 PM

I suggest you buy a computer from Apple. I switched from PC to Mac about 8 months ago and really like them . I have an iBook laptop and an eMac home computer and they work great. I have Microsoft Office, Photoshop, etc. and everything runs well. Apple makes setting up wireless networking, printing, etc. a snap. You should go to an apple store and at least take a look at them before you buy another PC. Not everyone likes Macs, but they're definitely worth checking out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode