High-Output Alternators - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

High-Output Alternators

Anyone know someone who does Alternator windings locally? I've got a high powered sound system in the car and need some more power.

Thanks,
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 01:36 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

I take it youve already added capacitors right???? if so just go to the auto store and have them order you one, dont mess with having it rewound. jm2c!

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Caps=Crap

Yeah I have a 1 farad cap on now, but their only job is to keep a constant of 12V on the power line to the amps. It doesn't do squat when it comes to amperage drain. I know I have to get some big wires from my alternator to battery, battery to ground, and engine to chassis. But I was hoping to get the heart of it juiced up, which would make everything better. A cap is just another draw on my alternator. Oh, and can the auto store order me one that will fit my specific car? I've got a '99 Dodge Intrepid and I called a Dodge parts dept, they say the output of my alternator is all they make. Thanks for the advice though.

Last edited by peteroc; 04-18-2003 at 03:32 PM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 04:41 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Re: Caps=Crap

Quote:
Originally posted by peteroc
Yeah I have a 1 farad cap on now, but their only job is to keep a constant of 12V on the power line to the amps.
It does this by supplying the extra current during spikes and keeping from clipping the amps due to the voltage dropping. It should also help to hold the voltage HIGHER than 12 volts since the peak output of your alternator is higher than 12 volts.

You should be able to tell if you really need a bigger alternator (don't forget the regulator) by putting volt meter across the battery and measuring the AC component.

One clue that you may need a bigger alternator is if the lights flash when you have the stereo cranked. Another clue is blood coming out of your ears!

Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 04:45 PM

Are you sure you need more power? Have you been draining battery while driving the car?

Check some car audio websites. I'm sure there's a solution. Maybe you can make a alternator out of a Dodger Ram or Dakota fit. Maybe eve nthe alternator on the Caravan is bigger.... worth a look. But you'll probably need ot get a custom adapter plate since the bolt pattern may be different
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 05:52 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

the capacitor is not another draw on your battery it stores energy, your battery wouldnt even notice this, ever see high end units, they have 4 or more capacitors in there systems. as dave says a capacitor will supply the energy needed when big spikes of power are called for (lots of base) not just when the car is off. are you running two batteries? i would think about adding another battery also if you are drawing that much current.

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 06:35 PM
CHeYeNNe

www.mralternator.com

also check out
www.termpro.com
or
www.sounddomain.com

There is a guy named Dominick that does alternators on termpro and he's reasonably priced.

I'll look and see if I still have his e-mail addy.

[email protected]

Try him.

I would definetly go with a HO Alt .
What sorta power are you running right now? How many amps? RMS not Peak power per amp?

I'm getting ready to set my car up if I ever get around to it. Make sure to definetly upgrade the 3 wires you named that will make a BIG difference from what I've read.

I know a guy that used to rebuild alts that I'm going to TRY and get a hold of and see if he can still do them.

I'll let yanno if I find anything out anytime soon.

Cheyenne
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 09:23 PM

Sportbike: 05 DRZ-SM, 80 GS1100E, 99 KTM 125SX, 03 KTM 200MXC
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: ?

Send a message via AIM to Ryan Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan
I can get you the # of the rebuilder we deal with on Monday. If you go to a real parts store (NOT Pep Boys or Autozone) with parts guys that have a clue they may be able to look up a higher amperage alternator that will fit your vehicle. They key is finding a parts store where the countermen know what they're doing.

Edit: went back and read your second post that I skipped over by accident. The dealer is not gonna be able to find what you need. your car has a Nippondenso alternator on it if I'm not mistaken and they use the same style on a lot of vehicles (jeeps, and some Dodge trucks) so you may be able to find something, just go to a small local parts store.

-Ryan

Last edited by Ryan; 04-18-2003 at 09:29 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Amps

Two Xtants: one class D model 6001 pushing 750WRMS x 1
one 404M 4 x 50WRMS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode