Puppy help - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Puppy help

I recently picked up to puppies. 1 is 11 weeks old and the other is 9 weeks old. I have been noticing a problem that I dont know how to solve. When I put them in their respective kennels when I head to work, the older on whines a bit then quiets down, however the other one doesnt stop yipping and whining. I am a little concerned about this since we are in an apt building and pissing off the neighbors is not in our best interest. I need the younger one to be quiet. Any ideas.

On a side note, they play together all the time and we would like to put them in the same cage together since we have a large cage that would take both of them. However, the older one is a little bigger and plays a little too rough from time to time so I dont want the little one to not have a way to get away. Ideas??? Please please please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 02:50 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

If you want them to be independant it's best they learn to spend some time apart. Put the cages in different rooms and take them places seperately for a while. They are going to experience seperation anxiety and yelp for a while, but eventually they will get over it and be able to exist without the other.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

It really isnt separation anxiety since they are from different litters and they dont yip when separated from each other. The big problem is when either myself or my fiance arent with them.
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye
It really isnt separation anxiety since they are from different litters and they dont yip when separated from each other. The big problem is when either myself or my fiance arent with them.
OK if they are from different litters.

However, they can form a seperation anxiety with their owners too. I don't know how long you've had them, but sometimes you just have to let them bark and learn that they aren't going to get their way by wining. It's all part of the training process. Try taking them to training. I just got through 8 weeks with one of my pups. They will be able to teach you to train the dogs and answer lots of your behaivoral questions.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 03:16 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

Brian, what classes did you go to ? At a pet store or ? I think that may be in our future. Our little golden has definately gotten settled in and developed a personality in the last two weeks. Shes become a handful ! Not all of it is in a bad way, she just needs a little "help"

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 2weelpilot
Brian, what classes did you go to ? At a pet store or ? I think that may be in our future. Our little golden has definately gotten settled in and developed a personality in the last two weeks. Shes become a handful ! Not all of it is in a bad way, she just needs a little "help"
I took my little one to classes at the Vet where my wife works. The trainer there is great, but she doesn't train your dog for you. She teaches you how to do it. You'll go one day a week and she'll give you things to work on with your dog every day and you have to get your dog to do them by the next class. She's not real strict so you only get out of it what you put in. The key is to spend time in training every day.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 03:23 PM

BTW: Hawkeye.....you can teach your dogs while they are playing not to growl or tear each other up. Get a couple of choker chains and let them play. When they get too rough give them corrections. If they sit there and bark and wine at you give them corrections.<----that might help them figure out it's not ok to wine also.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 03:26 PM

Sportbike: CURRENTLY LOOKING
Years Riding: since I was 8
How you found us: The NET is MINE

Ok, to put it in simple terms dogs are pack animals and you are the pack leader. So they suffer separation anxiety when you leave the room. With crates/kennels the mistake people do is to associate it with you leaving them for periods of times. The best way to get them accustomed to them is to do it during a weekend, and be in the same room with the crate/kennel. They will whine and bark, but you should ignore it, it take like 10 mins but don't let them out until they settle down. After 15-20 mins of them being quiet, then let them out. Increase the periods of time until you have the same amount of time that they will be alone. Also do the same thing at night... it is not inhumane, they feel secure in there when they get used to it. Also make it a postive experience by luring them in with doggie treats, do not punish them by putting them there. It will eventually become their den and they will go in willingly. Also what was mentioned before is true. They can be in seperate rooms and that might solidify their independence, but I have not had experience with that first hand, just what I have heard. Obidience school is a most. Lombard Animal Clinic is associated with a really good obidience school, The school meets in lombard which is a 20 min drive from Naperville... I took my dog to that school and it was great.

Logtar - John

My Blog - @Logtar - Google+
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by logtar
Ok, to put it in simple terms dogs are pack animals and you are the pack leader. So they suffer separation anxiety when you leave the room. With crates/kennels the mistake people do is to associate it with you leaving them for periods of times. The best way to get them accustomed to them is to do it during a weekend, and be in the same room with the crate/kennel. They will whine and bark, but you should ignore it, it take like 10 mins but don't let them out until they settle down. After 15-20 mins of them being quiet, then let them out. Increase the periods of time until you have the same amount of time that they will be alone. Also do the same thing at night... it is not inhumane, they feel secure in there when they get used to it. Also make it a postive experience by luring them in with doggie treats, do not punish them by putting them there. It will eventually become their den and they will go in willingly. Also what was mentioned before is true.

These are great ideas too. Also feeding them in their Kennels really helps to.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

I am definitely planning on the training classes but I am not sure when I can start.

Quote:
Lombard Animal Clinic is associated with a really good obidience school
How much is this????

I am going to start putting them in the kennel for short time spans tonight. Hopefully that will work.

As for the choker collars, these 2 pups are 3 and 4 pounds so having a choker wouldnt fit their necks. They need to get a bit bigger.
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

By the way, I will try to post some pics tonight or tomorrow so that you guys can see what I am working with. It is so hard to scold these two since they are so cute.

Dont get me wrong, I can punish them but it is hard.
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye
I am definitely planning on the training classes but I am not sure when I can start.

How much is this????

I am going to start putting them in the kennel for short time spans tonight. Hopefully that will work.

As for the choker collars, these 2 pups are 3 and 4 pounds so having a choker wouldnt fit their necks. They need to get a bit bigger.

You can get them small although some dogs respond well enough to a regular collar.

The Hospital my wife works at is on Route 59 just north of 126 and I think the classes were $60 for 4 wks. There were 2 4 wk sessions I went to so far and if they decide to offer more advanced classes I'm there.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 04:20 PM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

I have 2 Labs and they absolutely Love their kennels! When they were little i put coolers in the kennels to take up most of the room as they grew i gave them more room. At night or while we were at work they would whine like Stydie so we put in the shirts we wore that day in the kennel with them. (t-shirts for scent)

Now when company comes over if the dogs go into their Kennels to be alone then NO ONE is allowed to bother them at all. They love their TIME away.

It takes time but they will learn to get used and then WANT a kennel. Also if you are home leave the doors open so they can come and go if they please. (Kennel)

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Labdog
At night or while we were at work they would whine like Stydie

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 04:25 PM

Oh you caught that?

J/K Stydie

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 04:32 PM

The classes for puppies are $80. That is for an 8 week course that includes in a nutshell. Sit, Down, Come, Stay, Controlled Walking, Recalls. Very basic but very important. Also they help you troubleshoot the issues you have. Very friendly people... defenetly recomend them.

Here, I found their website...
http://www.traincanines.com/training.html

Just wanted to help... I am somewhat of a pet nut... I have a cat, a golden and 2 fish tanks

Logtar - John

post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 11:19 PM

What I've read so far seems to be right on with the whole theory of training a pack animal (such as a dog). Always remember, as mentioned before the crate should NEVER be used a form of punishment. That is their home not their dungeon. The use of gradually lengthening the time frame in the crate is also a great idea. Make sure the crate is always left open even when they're not in it so that if they want to they can get into in for "quiet" time. Be careful with the clothing idea though. Good idea for the scent, bad idea in the cage. They may just get the idea as they begin to teethe that they can chew on the clothes and it's ok. Can you guess what this'll lead to. Yup, destroyed wardrobe. If you want to use the scent fine, but put it NEAR the crate NOT in the crate. What I have also found works well is getting them used to having either a TV or preferably a talk radio station on in the house whether you're home or not. They will then associate the constant talk on the radio as someone being home and will help to keep them from getting seperation anxiety when the Alpha of the pack is away (You). Good luck and congratulations on your new additions to the family.
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 11:31 PM

Crate training

Logtar had the same solution that I used. When my lab was a pup I would put her in her cage when ever I left the house. I spent a couple days just leaving the house and coming back and letting her out of her cage. All I did was put a cooler outside load it with beer and sit outside drink a beer or a few. After the beer was empty I went inside and let her out after she sat there quietly. After a while she figured out that I will be back and she will be let our of her cage.
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

I have some pics now but I am not sure the size of what to post. Also what is the best method if I am taking it from a digital camera?
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 09:37 AM

Actually the scent is a good idea but i assumed the idea would get accross its only for the night and obviously you stop when he gets older. Usually (i take that back) My 2 Labs were great in the kennel after 2 weeks. at that age they are too little to be chewwing on a shirt. Mine were. If you are not comfortable place the shirt next to the kennel.

As far as digital pics the higher the res the bigger the pic so just use a photo editor to resize the pic or use the economy or normal setting. (HIGHER the res BIGGER the file size )

Good Luck and post a pic!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 09:48 AM

A good rule of thumb for pictures is to make them smaller than 800x600 for resolution. Most sites have limits into what you can upload. Also, load them up to a website and you can display several pictures in the same post.

Logtar - John

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 09:51 AM

TRUE DAT!

Or just put multiple posts/attachments under your thread.

Crazy isn't afraid to do that are ya now!?!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Here is my first attempt at posting one of the puppies. If this works this is Buffett
post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Ok cool it worked. Now here is Lilo
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Labdog
TRUE DAT!

Or just put multiple posts/attachments under your thread.

Crazy isn't afraid to do that are ya now!?!

I don't know whatchyo talking about.

aaaaaaaaaaaaww helwo widdle puppies.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover

Last edited by Meulen; 04-22-2003 at 10:03 AM.
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 10:01 AM

cute puppies.

Logtar - John

post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 10:05 AM

Pic of my Pup just being lazy

Logtar - John

post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 01:27 PM
Made in Wisconsin!

Sportbike: 02 RS125, 03 636 Race, 08 CRF150RB
Years Riding: 9 years
How you found us: search

Awwwww... I love puppies.

I agree with almost all of the tips here... I don't like the idea of a choke collar, though. I try to stick with positive reinforcement techinques... definitely find a good training facility and learn as much as you can about positive reinforcement... it's the best way to train a dog, IMO... or raise a child... if I ever decide to go down that road.
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 02:28 PM
Please attend carefully..

Sportbike: 2000 ZX6R (the green one!)
Years Riding: 2000
How you found us: I've been here a while...

Quote:
Originally posted by logtar
Pic of my Pup just being lazy
That's a pup????? Hate to see when it's fully grown!!

Mine (they're fully grown):

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - JP2

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

"everyone's a nutjob, some just have more restraint than others" - EndlessRR
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Norseman82
That's a pup????? Hate to see when it's fully grown!!

Mine (they're fully grown):
He is going to be around 100lb I think. He will keep on growing until he is about 2. Right now he is 9 months, when the picture was taken he was about 6.

Logtar - John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode