Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Wearing your gear should you?

6K views 63 replies 44 participants last post by  RMarcil34 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been sitting here thinking about a ton of stuff this last two months.

To fill in all that don't know I was involved in a fairly serious accident on July 28, 2007. Injuries left arm broke forearm, Cracked left knee cap and ripped some other stuff in there, Broke my Back T6 in three spots. Damaged T8 deep bone bruising whatever that means.

How did I manage all this carnage, Well went out for a ride with a hand full of close friends. Started a beautiful morning headed out to the wonderful state of Wisconsin. First half of the day was an awesome ride filled with many new roads I have never been on. They were filled with many surprises some good some bad, But really nothing new as far as ridding a sportbike on the back roads.

Some things that really stand out from this first half of this day. The gas stops filled with the stories from each rider and how we seen the same road from such different view points depending on our place in line. I have always found this to be very intriguing and a wonderful learning tool.
Next came lunch about this time we had been riding a good 6 hours. We all where beat and needed some body fuel. I remember pulling in the little town and the local culliver's parking lot as we all packed all are bikes into one little parking spot. Dismounting and heading in as we where walking towards the door, I looked up and seen 12 sets of eye's starring at us, some had that look HUH!!! Look hunny there are aliens. We where all in full race suits, boots, gloves, helmets plus some……

Lunch was GREAT!!!! Filled with many more stories Ton's of laughs. There is one thing that really stands out now for me. As we where sitting outside one of the riders was looking at my back protector, Then he States, why are you wearing that you’re not at the track. I answered; I don't know it's the first time wearing it on the street just felt like wearing it today. Went on to say yea this thing is freakin hot as hell wish I would have left it at home. Off we went.

So we start the afternoon ride heading back still exploring the area as we head back. Were rolling along, Then it all starts to happen Rounding a bend I see My Friend low sliding Right in front of me.

I look on as i need to see why, how is there any thing there that has caused this. Time has come to a stop for me in my mind. As i watch my Fiend slid across the road all I can think is NO! NO!NO! Instinct kicks in avoid him I lean the bike as hard as I can while implementing everything I have learned through out my years of riding. As I try not to run my Good Friend Fellow rider over.
Bam!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It happens, I to lowside on the left hand side.

Next thing I remember is opening my eye's in a fury of panic looking up through my face shield. Now I realize I'm ALIVE, But were am I, I scream for help as I try to rip my helmet off!!!! Still laying on my back all I see is trees on a declining hill. Then I see Him my long time Friend. I think to myself he made it thank god!! The look on His face was Terrifying. He helps with my helmet and Tells Me, The other Rider our other Friend was not moving.
He goes back up to see to him. The two other Close Friends, Riders come down by me to make sure all is well.

One stays, with me telling me all will be well and help is on the way. I ask about the other rider who is down. He is still out and not moving. This is not good.

We are all terrified and worried he will not make it!!

I decided I need to get up from where I am at. HOLY SHIT!!!! THIS HURTS!!!!
TWO of my friends come down when they see me trying to climb up the hill to assist me. They get me up the hill and sit me on the other side of the road.

As I sit there I here HE"S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!

Thank God!!!!! We are both alive.

This where it really takes form for me as I sit on the other side of the road. I look around at the road and were I have just came up from thinking to myself maybe even out loud how lucky we both are to be here and in pain.

The emergency crew shows up. We both get strapped to the boards and loaded into the vehicle and away we go.

I would like to publicly express my gratefulness to those that stayed to help.

Now if you made it this far, you have figured out with out all our gear I would not be here to share this with all of you.

And if by some chance I would of made without the gear I’m not sure I would want to be here.

The other rider just received a concussion and some bruising and is doing fine today.

See less See more
#4 ·
Glad you were ok.

So was it gravel in the road or what?

I'm heading up there tonight for a full day of riding tomorrow. FWIW, I'll have my 1pc on under a thin gortex suit...I'm loaning my 2pc street leathers to my friend for the day.

#8 ·
Wow, taking into account the injuries you've got, the back protector definitely saved you. Glad you are alive. In the end it's all that counts. I had a crash where I totaled my bike and walked away basically with a tiny scratch and some sprained muscles, so it's nothing compared to your experience, but I still remember that incredible feeling, the realization: "I'm alive! I'm fucking alive!"...

#9 ·
Jesus.... glad you made it out of that one in one piece.... so to speak.... good lord thats alot of injuries.... I'd like to know too, if you feel like sharing.... where did this happen and how did this happen.... how did you fall that you broke your back.... damn thats just awful.... shall I am assume the back protector saved you from worst injuries ?

#16 ·
BFLY...thanks for sharing your story! I didn't get to meet you but it was good to see you out at Strat's on Wednesday, just 2 months after your accident! You were lookin good with all of those injuries! Take care of you! I'm buying more gear!

#18 ·
Great story glad everyone made it ok. I hope everyone remembers this story that goes on my ride on Sunday. i used to think that there was no place for the track because what is the point, I can just go to Wisconsin and ride the twisties it's fine. Well, it's not fine. Save the speed for the track. Ride at 85% or less on the street and leave room for error on your part or other vehicles, animals, etc that happen. Last time I went to Wisconsin I had an ATV come close to jumping the ditch right over the road while I was coming at that exact time. He saw me at the last second and put on the binders. Then there was the kid that ran out in front of me, and the dog following just far enough behind to cause another possible problem. Street rides are fun, but I think that the most important lesson learned is that when you are out on the street its much more dangerous to push the envelope, so what's the point. The track is the place for that and it's a lot more fun anyways from my experience.

Again thanks for sharing. Us younger riders appreciate this more than you know.

#22 ·
I hope everyone remembers this story that goes on my ride on Sunday. i used to think that there was no place for the track because what is the point, I can just go to Wisconsin and ride the twisties it's fine. Well, it's not fine. Save the speed for the track. Ride at 85% or less on the street and leave room for error on your part or other vehicles, animals, etc that happen.

Hey Brian
Wow I am so out of the loop... good to hear you are doing mostly fine.

FT I may be joining you sunday.

A issue I really only discovered last fall is that taking it to the track does make you a better rider.. The catch is the 85% you mention is much faster than before. Time and space on the street are a constant, going faster does leave less room for error, even if it is in your "comfort zone".
That is the paradox of becoming a faster rider on the track. It can still bite you!

I have made a very concience adjustment to dial it back. I'll just putt along on my 22 year old BMW and enjoy the trip.

#21 ·
Glad you and your buddy made it Brian, and I am a gear nazi too. I went down once and walked away with only rashed up gear and bike but not a sctrach on me, it is definitely a must. We have seen many go down this season, but all the people I have heard with gear will live to ride another day. I wish for a speedy recory Brian.

#24 ·
Glad you're OK. Way to sport your gear.

All this talk about let the rider decide is bullshit! Gear up.

#25 ·
Thanks for all the replies. This sport can be a blast or it can blast you. Alot of WOW!! Yea trust me Being down has been a drag and a very eye opening experience in so many ways. Some days are better then others.

I thought about posting this up alot sooner but everytime I went to Could not find the right words. I just hope to help others to enjoy this sport.

#26 ·
glad to hear your ok now bri...i was kinda wondering were some people from the board have been lately...including you...now i know...im assuming your pretty healed up at this point since its been 2 months?...if not man, then here is for a speedier recovery for ya...:cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.