Nervous... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Nervous...

I am new to owning a bike in Chicagoland and I have to say I am nervous almost every time I take it out for a spin because of the cagers around here. This region is a far cry from the suburban NE Ohio (I moved here in 2000), where 5 minutes in any direction will put you in the middle of nowhere. Most roads were 2 lanes, you couldn't do U-turns, and the biggest city we had was Cleveland (all jokes aside!).

So now I fret over whether or not to take my bike out when I get home from work at 5pm because of Roosevelt Rd and Ogden and 355 at 6pm on a week night. It's frustrating. There is a ton more traffic here. Believe it or not, I wait until 11pm or midnight often before I go out just so I can have the roads to myself.

So, do I just have to get over myself? I took it out twice over the weekend for about 50 miles in the morning. On Butterfield and Roosevelt (Lombard area) my head was on a damn swivel the whole ride. I could not relax because of what the cages were doing around me. I keep telling myself to ride it everyday to get over being nervous, but the same anxiousness creeps back into me the next day.

Mind you, it's only when I ride the bike that I get nervous. I'll go anywhere in my Wrangler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Give it time. your reflexes are better than you realize. By the time some one cuts you off you are already accelerating away/braking and raising your middle finger.

Chris
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:07 PM

Sportbike: k7 gsxr 600 track bike project
Years Riding: couple years...
How you found us: google

dunno man, maybe it's just a shock to see so many more cars than usual. I'll bet you think the drivers here are a lot more dumber than over there? but, i'd say it's something to get over, if i was nervous while riding, my confidence would drop so much, i'll prolly be askin for an accident, *knock on wood
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:08 PM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Your nervousness is well founded. Peoples driving habits in and around Chicago is characterized by a high degree of self-importance and arrogance.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:09 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

It does suck. Honestly I didn't ride much when I lived in the city. Get comfortable and just be careful bro

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:11 PM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

I agree in part. Sometimes, I'll get home from work and want to ride but rush hour is still in full bloom. Why even fight it just to sit in traffic?

So I'll relax for an hour, eat dinner, work out or something else and then hit the streets after 6:30pm and stay out till 9 or so.

As far as traffic is concerned, yes its nuts. Do I feel like sitting in it while the bike overheats? No.

Take the train to work and save the bike for free time. Your sanity will thank you later.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

On Saturday I was at the Highland/Butterfield 'Series of Lights' that eventually take you to I88, etc., right near the Circuit City. I was the lead vehicle at the light. I thought for sure when the light changed green I would ram someone from another intersection who thought they could "make it". It felt like I rode through a mine field. I feel stupid!!

I appreciate all the reassuring posts you guys are giving me. Glad to read some of you feel the same as I do about the cars, and about relaxing at home before going out.

I feel MUCH more confident when there is another rider familiar with the region riding with me, that's one thing that helps me.

Last edited by GelbKreuz; 04-28-2003 at 03:16 PM.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
youll get used to it. Thats why I like living outin plainfiled. Whith in 5 miles ogf my house its horse and cow pastures

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:22 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

A friend's brother died while riding in the city. I don't know if I would ride if I lived there. Sorry to put a damper on the mood.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:26 PM
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

Just think of it as a challenge. Ever played Frogger.

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:27 PM

Sportbike: 98' CBR600F3
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: back in the old days of SBN

Quote:
Originally posted by GelbKreuz
I appreciate all the reassuring posts you guys are giving me. Glad to read some of you feel the same as I do about the cars, and about relaxing at home before going out.
I used to feel the same way. I avoid the city unless it's late at night or early in the morning...even where I live traffic sucks til 630-7. I used to worry all the time about someone hitting me or cutting me off and I won't be able to brake fast enough. Eventually it just becomes routine to check around you for morons and you relax more (never completely though...there's always that little voice in your head At least in mine there is ).
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

I'm just gonna change my name to NyteRydah because that's the only time I'll ever take it out!
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
I'm just gonna change my name to NyteRydah because that's the only time I'll ever take it out!
nuts to that. dont let cages dictate when you can ride. i'll roll with you anytime of day.

Chris
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Even worse...that's when the drunks are out and they can't see ya.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:29 PM

I find peoples responses to riding in the city interesting. I live in the city and quite frankly I'm more comfortable in traffic in the city than in traffic in the 'burbs. Why you ask? I feel that in general people in the city know that it's going to take forever to go somewhere and they accept it. In the suburbs it seems like everybody is in a hurry and has a wackout sense of entitlement, also you can drive faster in the 'burbs...so people are driving well......faster. If you get out there where there is no traffic or at times of low traffic then it's another story entirely. However, sitting in traffic anywhere sucks period.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by bluebusa60544
Just think of it as a challenge. Ever played Frogger.
Excellent. Sometimes Frogger, sometimes Asteroids. I can even hear the Jaws-like, "DUN dun DUN dun" video game music when I start riding.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:30 PM

Really, its not that big of a deal. If you ride in (especially) Chicago, you should always ride defensively.

I always take an extra second to look both ways before taking off from a stoplight because I always 'expect' someone to be running the red.

I also always am very careful when riding down residential streets because I expect someone to jut out of an alley or a parallel parking spot.

I have dropped the bike 2 times already at low speeds in a last ditch effort to avoid hitting someone who I couldn't see until it was almost too late. No damages but that's because I was expecting something to potentially happen and was going slow enough to abort my next move which would have been trouble.

Drive defensively! If you are not then you better learn fast because these Chicago drivers will cut you off and then give you the finger like its your fault.

It might not be your fault but as a motorcyclist, its always your problem.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:34 PM

Yeah, a little more saddle time will help train your eye to read Chicago style vehicular body language.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:38 PM

Sticky,

I agree totally. I actually think that city drivers are a bit more predictable because like you say, everyone is going slower and expects things to go slower.

Also, I think that city drivers are, by necessity, more aware of what is going on around them because there is so much going on and they know that if they take their eyes off the road for 1 second they might end up blowing a light or any number of signage. Not to mention the ever-present pedestrian who is standing in the middle of the lane trying to see how far off the next bus is.

Forget it, the city is more dangerous but it prompts drivers in general to be more cautious. Every time I nearly got in an accident in the burbs it woulda been really bad because I was moving faster and the damn people just pull out right in front of you.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

thx chibeemer. Glad to hear I'm not alone. I had to do a "controlled drop" a week ago because the EXACT same thing you said. Only a few nicks though. Discouraging more than anything.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:41 PM
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

I find in the city there is a lot less traffic on the sidewalks.

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:42 PM

Sportbike: 1998 CR 250
Years Riding: Dirt: 1988 Street: 2001
How you found us: Original Gangsta

Send a message via AIM to MoTo178 Send a message via MSN to MoTo178 Send a message via Yahoo to MoTo178
Yeah man, you'll get used to it by mid to late summer. I feel safer on my bike than in my car. I can stop faster, accelerate faster, have more peripheral vision, hear more, manuver out of the way easier, and i notice that I am much more aware while on the bike. You tend to slack when your behind the wheel with the stereo blaring and on the phone. Plus it's WAY easier to get around and park on the bike downtown.

Sean
NESBA ADVANCED #178

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:43 PM

Sportbike: 1998 CR 250
Years Riding: Dirt: 1988 Street: 2001
How you found us: Original Gangsta

Send a message via AIM to MoTo178 Send a message via MSN to MoTo178 Send a message via Yahoo to MoTo178
Quote:
Originally posted by bluebusa60544
I find in the city there is a lot less traffic on the sidewalks.
EXACTLY!!

Sean
NESBA ADVANCED #178

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:44 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Just remember to be patient, but firm. Ride with conviction and don't be tentative. After a while, you'll get used to it. Always think three car lengths ahead and expect the unexpected. Watch the other drivers' eyes and wheels.

I grew up in the city, lived and rode there up until almost three years ago. I always rode with the attitude that I was invisible and that nobody else cared. Always did as much as I could to "maximize" my appearance in traffic (learned how to take up the most space possible and always stand my ground). There's nothing quite as challenging as riding your motorcycle in the Loop at 5 p.m. but I really enjoyed the ride to work.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chibeemer
Sticky,

I agree totally. I actually think that city drivers are a bit more predictable because like you say, everyone is going slower and expects things to go slower.

Also, I think that city drivers are, by necessity, more aware of what is going on around them because there is so much going on and they know that if they take their eyes off the road for 1 second they might end up blowing a light or any number of signage. Not to mention the ever-present pedestrian who is standing in the middle of the lane trying to see how far off the next bus is.

Forget it, the city is more dangerous but it prompts drivers in general to be more cautious. Every time I nearly got in an accident in the burbs it woulda been really bad because I was moving faster and the damn people just pull out right in front of you.
Wow do I disagree with you guys there. Only cuz people in the city usually get irrate about traffic and are generally in more of a hurry and the simple fact that the shear numbers of drivers gives you more of a chance of a nieve, ignorant, or spaced-out driver being in your general viscinity.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Well, if you guys see someone riding a red CBR600RR doing the Linda Blair, that'll be me. =P
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 04:00 PM

Sportbike: 98' CBR600F3
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: back in the old days of SBN

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy
Wow do I disagree with you guys there. Only cuz people in the city usually get irrate about traffic and are generally in more of a hurry and the simple fact that the shear numbers of drivers gives you more of a chance of a nieve, ignorant, or spaced-out driver being in your general viscinity.
That's what I mean. There's so many cagers all bunched up together ALL THE TIME. Just early morning or late night rides down there I'm fine with and even then I want as many other riders along.

Out west past (example: Hoffman Estates) there are less cars, less intersections, less lights, less people, less 'bunches' of people, less buildings to block out intersections til the last minute etc....etc.

*shrug* I'm not claustrophobic, but I swear the city gives me that feeling when I ride down there usually.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 04:01 PM

I agree....

about the sidewalks

I don't know, sometimes I finish a ride and feel like everybody is trying to kill me. Those days I feel like scrapping street riding altogether, no easy answers I suppose. It is certainly inherently dangerous to drive amongst things that have an exponentially higher inertia, like SUVs; and it doesn't help when those are being piloted by people not driving so much as moving about with a phone.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 04:04 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Quote:
Originally posted by KBOlsen
Just remember to be patient, but firm. Ride with conviction and don't be tentative. After a while, you'll get used to it. Always think three car lengths ahead and expect the unexpected. Watch the other drivers' eyes and wheels.

I grew up in the city, lived and rode there up until almost three years ago. I always rode with the attitude that I was invisible and that nobody else cared. Always did as much as I could to "maximize" my appearance in traffic (learned how to take up the most space possible and always stand my ground). There's nothing quite as challenging as riding your motorcycle in the Loop at 5 p.m. but I really enjoyed the ride to work.
3 car lengths? Try to get that if you can, but 4 cars will try and fit in those 3 car lengths. If you give a cager half a car length, they'll try and take it. Which sucks when they are in their Expedition talking on their cell phone while shaving and reading the paper.

Last time I rode to Bike night (month ago??) I almost got sideswiped by a car. Honked, cursed, flipped the bird. I didn't have the common sense to inflict damage on the car (Sidi boots are nice and hard..good kick will put a hole in a bumper). Same night Labdog had the same happen to him.

Burbs have worse drivers. City has worse road surfaces. I've ridden a motorcycle down to the city a couple of times (the Maxim). Not sure if I'll do that again!

Well, maybe for some good posin'

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 12:02 PM
Please attend carefully..

Sportbike: 2000 ZX6R (the green one!)
Years Riding: 2000
How you found us: I've been here a while...

I live in the city (near Elmwood Park border), so I'm used to city riding. Like Sticky and chibeemer said, traffic is slower. In addition, the stoplights are more predictably spaced (at least in the bungalow belt areas) than in the burbs.

On the negative side, the streets have fewer lanes so you have the danger of an idiot pulling out from the parking lane or from a side street or opening a car door without checking for traffic.

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - JP2

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

"everyone's a nutjob, some just have more restraint than others" - EndlessRR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode