Please correct my if I'm an insensitive a-hole - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Please correct my if I'm an insensitive a-hole

So a week or two ago I'm sure some of you heard of a kid that was hit by a train. He and his buddy were dropping quarters on the tracks and flattening them. One of them was hit and of course I feel terrible for the family. But when I heard this on the news it didn't spark much of a care about it. It's not easy to get hit by a train. Not like walking into the street. You can see/feel/hear a train from miles away. Plenty of time to clear out. Not to mention the accident took place by an intersection with the bells going off. So what was it? Lack of awareness? No common sense? I mean I did the exact same stuff when I was 10 and was off the tracks when the train was even 5 miles away. No one taught me to clear off...it was one of those "man I don't wanna get hit" feelings. Am I insensitive because I don't feel bad for the kid? It's almost like you have to try to be hit. Any name calling or thoughts about that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
was the kid foolish? yes.
do you have to lose sleep over it? no.
are you insensitive? slightly.

as foolish as they may have been, imagine being a family member.

Chris
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

No no...I'm totally with the family. For example if I see a squid go down on the road, after the initial thoughts of the stupid act, checking if he's ok, my thoughts would go to the family.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 02:10 PM

Sportbike: 98' CBR600F3
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: back in the old days of SBN

Re: Please correct my if I'm an insensitive a-hole

Quote:
Originally posted by BIGGY
I mean I did the exact same stuff when I was 10 and was off the tracks when the train was even 5 miles away. No one taught me to clear off...it was one of those "man I don't wanna get hit" feelings. Am I insensitive because I don't feel bad for the kid? It's almost like you have to try to be hit. Any name calling or thoughts about that?
I feel exactly the same way. I've live near the Metra Train tracks for over 20 years. It never once occured to me to let a train run me over. There must be something wrong with me. I feel bad for the family the kid died, but when I heard that my first thoughts were "how f**** stupid was that kid?"
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vcook
was the kid foolish? yes.
do you have to lose sleep over it? no.
are you insensitive? slightly.

as foolish as they may have been, imagine being a family member.
I don't know anyone in my family is stupid enough to stand on the tracks and let a train hit them when a train is crossing. We were all taught to "GET THE HELL OFF THE TRACKS NOW!!!!!!!!!"
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 02:13 PM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

I wonder if his buddy took his quarter?

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 02:14 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

Re: Re: Please correct my if I'm an insensitive a-hole

Quote:
Originally posted by BABETTE
I feel exactly the same way. I've live near the Metra Train tracks for over 20 years. It never once occured to me to let a train run me over. There must be something wrong with me. I feel bad for the family the kid died, but when I heard that my first thoughts were "how f**** stupid was that kid?"
that's how I feel about it.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 02:14 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Well,

I don't think your insensitive. It's weird how the whole thing happend. I'm still sad for the family. One of my friends got hit by killed by a train when we were growing up. I think we were about twelve. He crossed the tracks when one train passed and didn't see the other coming from behind it. Simple fact is kids make stupid mistakes and sometimes they can get killed for it. I remember doing lots of dumb stuff. My friends family was devastated by this and still are many years later.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 02:15 PM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
I don't think your too insensitve. It's a horrible tradgedy for the family but on the flip side how dumb was the kid. Since he was smashing coins he must have been looking for trains. This one is hard to put in words. I ride the train every day and at least once a week I see a stupid act. Hell there horn scares the hell out of me when i'm not expecting it.

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 02:18 PM
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

Quote:
Originally posted by Labdog
Now we know who's insensitive.

I can't imagine anyone not knowing a train is coming. Maybe he tried to hurry up and put a quarter on the track and fell or something.

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
I don't know anyone in my family is stupid enough to stand on the tracks and let a train hit them when a train is crossing. We were all taught to "GET THE HELL OFF THE TRACKS NOW!!!!!!!!!"
famous last words.

accidents happen. we are always in control up to the moment we lose it. I cant take loss like this lightly, because when it hits close to home its devastating.

Chris
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 02:25 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time

Quote:
Originally posted by rdrash
I don't think your too insensitve. It's a horrible tradgedy for the family but on the flip side how dumb was the kid. Since he was smashing coins he must have been looking for trains. This one is hard to put in words. I ride the train every day and at least once a week I see a stupid act. Hell there horn scares the hell out of me when i'm not expecting it.

True,

People seem to get stupid around them. I've been riding a train for 6 years back and forth to work. So far I've seen

2 suicides by train (very gross)
1 oops got to close to the tracks waiting by the gates
1 oops metra security shouldn't be driving that close to tracks
1 deer (yuck but I wish it was on the way home mmm venison)
1 oops I parked my car too close to the tracks
1 OMG I need to make my train (SPLAT!!!...very sad)

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 02:26 PM

I see where your comming from. I think your more open minded than insensitive. I think it's unfortunate anytime someone is killed, but not sessesarily a tragedy other than for the family. The indivudual chose for thsi to happen.... gettign hit by a trin in my opinion is not an normal accident, it's careless... just like crossing the centerline on a biek and hitting a car as opposed to hitting gravel on a blind corner or a car turning left in front of you.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 02:34 PM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy
Well,

I don't think your insensitive. It's weird how the whole thing happend. I'm still sad for the family. One of my friends got hit by killed by a train when we were growing up. I think we were about twelve. He crossed the tracks when one train passed and didn't see the other coming from behind it. Simple fact is kids make stupid mistakes and sometimes they can get killed for it. I remember doing lots of dumb stuff. My friends family was devastated by this and still are many years later.
No correction needed. The way Crazy described it is the way it usually happens.(didn't see the second one coming). When I was a kid, I lived next to the Santa Fe freight yards. The sound of the trains was constant day and night. As kids we played by the tracks all the time. Yes, we put pennies on the tracks too. A quarter was a fortune back then. You'd have to be nuts to squish that much money When we were really brave we'd jump on a rolling car that was just switched and ride it along for while. Were we nuts? A little I guess. But we were kids then and the world wasn't so rubber padded. My dad showed me a picture once from the National Enquirer of a guy that got hit by a train. That never left my mind and I didn't hop any more trains. No one(in a right state of mind) hops in front of a train on purpose. They must have been distracted. Pity.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974

Last edited by SloRoll; 04-28-2003 at 02:44 PM.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vcook
famous last words.

accidents happen. we are always in control up to the moment we lose it. I cant take loss like this lightly, because when it hits close to home its devastating.
I know what you mean about accidents. There was a famous one in the 80's I think in Franklin Park....a decapitation. But my point is.....I've lived literally 1 block from the trains that travel....metra and others. I've never been ALMOST hit by a train or had a near miss or went there to 'play' as a kid, I didn't want an accident to kill me. I have have never had a close call with a train.

My point is....trains are like trucks or cars or bikes. They don't veer off track, they don't get road rage, or suddenly turn in front of you...they don't stop on a dime and they don't just come up on you. You can hear their horn, the noise they make in general and besides that the gates which come down, not all intersections have them, but you do have EYEBALLS, if you look to cross the street, look to cross the tracks. If you are "playing" on the tracks you can feel the train, you can see the train (if you can't get the F*** off the tracks!).
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 02:35 PM

Sportbike: 2002
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: sbn- ran into 20bikes riding

I couldn't believe the story either. just around flattening quarters.
quarters? why not do pennies? they must have been rich
I would feel bad for the family.

Don't you think it was more like he tried to jump on the train and take it for a ride for a few miles? Being between cars while stopped then the train moved.
Or was it he got hit by the Engine?

We used to do that when cutting class in HS.

Also when I was younger by the bike trails by the tracks. We saw this guy crawl under a moving train car 10-20 mph and go to the other side. I thought that was crazy.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I know what you mean about accidents. There was a famous one in the 80's I think in Franklin Park....a decapitation. But my point is.....I've lived literally 1 block from the trains that travel....metra and others. I've never been ALMOST hit by a train or had a near miss or went there to 'play' as a kid, I didn't want an accident to kill me. I have have never had a close call with a train.

My point is....trains are like trucks or cars or bikes. They don't veer off track, they don't get road rage, or suddenly turn in front of you...they don't stop on a dime and they don't just come up on you. You can hear their horn, the noise they make in general and besides that the gates which come down, not all intersections have them, but you do have EYEBALLS, if you look to cross the street, look to cross the tracks. If you are "playing" on the tracks you can feel the train, you can see the train (if you can't get the F*** off the tracks!).
Doesn't even take eyeballs to know a train is there. You can be blind and deaf and still feel the earthquake it produces even when it's still a mile away. I believe he was hit by the engine.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 04:51 PM
CLSB SuperHero

Sportbike: None right now
Years Riding: since '95
How you found us: friend

Quote:

I almost fell out of my chair when I read this.

Life is too short to ride anything but an R1

In memory of FastBlueR1...RIP

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 06:18 PM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
I tkink I just peed myself Good one Kelly

Rick

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 08:49 PM

Sportbike: 2004 RC51 Nicky Hayden Edition, 07 CBR1000RR
Years Riding: long enough
How you found us: fireblades.org members

Maybe his buddy pushed him to get his quarter.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 11:03 PM
Please attend carefully..

Sportbike: 2000 ZX6R (the green one!)
Years Riding: 2000
How you found us: I've been here a while...

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy
He crossed the tracks when one train passed and didn't see the other coming from behind it. Simple fact is kids make stupid mistakes and sometimes they can get killed for it.
Never mind the kids.....what about the adults? I can't begin to tell you how many times the "second train" scenario unfolds right in front of me on the way home. If wasn't for the fact that the second train waits for the first to pass you'd hear of a lot more accidents at the MontClare train station. You would think with all the news of train accidents and the $500 fines people would learn by now.

Am I insensitive for being sick and tired of being inconvenienced by other people's STUPIDITY?

BTW, I live right down the street from the Metra tracks myself, and one case I heard of was of a deaf man being hit.

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - JP2

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

"everyone's a nutjob, some just have more restraint than others" - EndlessRR
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 11:32 PM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20

I would also agree. Where was the supervision. Maybe I'm still nieve only being a dad to a 3 year old. But I always know where he is when we are outside.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 12:33 AM

Sportbike: 1998 CR 250
Years Riding: Dirt: 1988 Street: 2001
How you found us: Original Gangsta

Send a message via AIM to MoTo178 Send a message via MSN to MoTo178 Send a message via Yahoo to MoTo178
Sounds extremely stupid, but kids often lie, media doesn't always tell the whole truth (or get the whole truth before reporting), and accidents do happen.

Sean
NESBA ADVANCED #178

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Stupid accidents will happen to people who are not being dumb occasionally. But more often than not it will be a stupid accident by a stupid person. The Darwin effect I guess. However we're making the country so safety crazy that it's becoming more difficult to allow certain people to weed themselves out. hehehe I said 'weed'...anyway...It's one thing if you get pushed in front of a train or what not...but it's a different story if you're just trying to hold a quarter steady on train tracks, or if you hold that M-80 in your hand a wee bit long before throwing it, or if you never comprehend that using a hair dryer in the shower is not a good idea, or if you don't realize that a cup of coffee might be hot so you should expect a burn if you spill on yourself, or simply if you just realize that you're an idiot and should accept it.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 02:10 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
I accepted my idiocy years ago.

roflMOOOO!

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 04:52 PM
Please attend carefully..

Sportbike: 2000 ZX6R (the green one!)
Years Riding: 2000
How you found us: I've been here a while...

Quote:
Originally posted by KBOlsen
I accepted my idiocy years ago.
So did we!

J/K!!

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - JP2

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

"everyone's a nutjob, some just have more restraint than others" - EndlessRR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode