Toll Road Crack down - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Doc

Sportbike: 2006 Lemond Zurich
Years Riding: since the age of 4
How you found us: SBN...back in the day!

Send a message via AIM to Doc
Toll Road Crack down

For those of you who blow the tolls...think twice. My good buddy Jeff just got a fine in the mail for $1,026 and some change. He was fined $20 for every offense and the cost of the toll. Needlesstosay, he is getting an I-Pass and paying all the tolls.

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

"A man who dares to waste an hour of life has not discovered the value of life."-Darwin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 09:45 PM

Sportbike: 2004 RC51 Nicky Hayden Edition, 07 CBR1000RR
Years Riding: long enough
How you found us: fireblades.org members

Holy crap. How long has he been blowing them? The tolls I mean.
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 10:03 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

holly shit no wonder they cam after him!

i have maybe blown 2 tolls in the last...well maybe since i starting driving now that i think of it..and both times..there was no change booth..to break a 5 dollar bill.

isnt my fault they wannt toll my ass but cant break change!

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Doc

Sportbike: 2006 Lemond Zurich
Years Riding: since the age of 4
How you found us: SBN...back in the day!

Send a message via AIM to Doc
He has 4 tolls per day and he's been blowing them off and on since November. Supposedly, they install something different to allow for the toll authority to keep track of them. He said he's been blowing them for a long time, but they only documented it in November sometime.

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

"A man who dares to waste an hour of life has not discovered the value of life."-Darwin
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 11:37 PM

theat's kind of BS..... they should have a cap on that fine... although you should pay for all the tolls.... but the fine itself should cap out at $120.

I wonder if they are going after repeat offenders and non I-Pass owners first.

That reminds me, I need to update my I-Pass info.
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 12:26 AM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: SBN

This was on the news the other day. They are going back 5 years or so. Looking for the big offenders. ie you have to have blown off 50 boothas at a fine of $20 per shot so they get $1000 in fines from you.

Here is the kicker. You can actually pay and still get fined. If you pay and leave BEFORE the sign switches from Stop to Go, your in VIOLATION. This really is stupid. The idea is to pay and go. If they wanted you to stop for a duration of time, WHY ARE THE GATES NOT BEING USED. Simple. They want to speed up traffic flow. Kind of a catch 22.

Then they interviewed toll workers. The mechanics said the toll booths always jam up. The sensors do not always work. Lightbulbs fail. All kinds of reasons for malfunctions. Yet people are getting fined.

My solution is I-pass, but we got that more for convenience than this but it would work here.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 01:05 AM

well I use two tolls everytime i come down there... and a few times i didnt have change for the exit tolls where they dont have a toll person working, so i throw in what i have and just go, but i talked with a toll lady back in december and she said that there's a new company out in california that just took over and they're really anal about people NOT paying thier tolls....
she told me that next time i come to a toll where there issnt a toll worker - and i dont have change, for me to write down the time you went through the toll, how much the toll was, where it was and your license plate number, and give it to a toll worker the next time you come to a toll ...
just thought y'all might wanna know
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 01:56 AM
Death is coming....

Sportbike: 2001 F4i r/w
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: Search

I hate paying tolls considering I haven't seen where all the money is actually going. God knows I haven't seen improvments in the road conditions! They have a special license plate cover for motorcycles that actually blurs your plates unless you look at it from directly from behind. Only problem is if a cop sees it from the side it will be blury and they'll know.
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 02:24 AM

Sportbike: k7 gsxr 600 track bike project
Years Riding: couple years...
How you found us: google

so what happens if you don't hear the ipass thing go off? can you just tell them ur ipass ID and you won't get a fine?
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 07:35 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Oooooooooooohhhhhh I'm so glad I never take tolls. I think I take tolls maybe once a year. I hate the mothers I never wait for the green light, I toss and go. But, I did hear that they are cracking down on big offenders. Also, so the program about, people being fined for not waiting for the go light.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #11 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 08:06 AM

Sportbike: Trek 2100 Baby!!!!
Years Riding: Since I was a kid
How you found us: Been here for a while

Quote:
so what happens if you don't hear the ipass thing go off? can you just tell them ur ipass ID and you won't get a fine?
I don't think you get a fine, but the I Pass still omits your info to the computer and tells it that no fund were taken. A few weeks later a letter may show up on your door asking for a check for the tolls not paid. I suppose if you don't pay that by a certain time you may get fined.

They do this because a lot of people never get their I Pass refilled with funds on time or they have expired card info on file.
post #12 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 09:12 AM
TSR YOU KNOW!

Sportbike: 05 636
Years Riding: lots
How you found us: Long ago via Sportbike.net

Send a message via AIM to QUICKMCSS
Most of the time if Im riding in a pack of like 7 to 10 guys we just reach back bend up the plates and rock on threw the IPASS.

CCS AM 81
Team Squid Racing.
post #13 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 09:25 AM
Man with Big Hose

Sportbike: '01 Track only GSXR 600. No more street riding :(
Years Riding: Pick a number between 1 and 10? Opps now 1 and 11
How you found us: Champ91 in 2002

Send a message via AIM to Pugsly Send a message via MSN to Pugsly
Quote:
Originally posted by QUICKMCSS
Most of the time if Im riding in a pack of like 7 to 10 guys we just reach back bend up the plates and rock on threw the IPASS.
I wouldn't admit to blowing off the tolls dude. This is a public forum which means ANYONE could be lurking reading your posts.

BTW you too cheap to afford 40 cents anyway?

That Boy Just Ain't Right
CCS #414
PARTS411.COM
Lockhart Phillips USA

NESBA #414 Advanced
2001 GSXR 600
post #14 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 09:29 AM

SCAM

Am I the onlt person that thinks the Toll Authority is a huge scam?

1)Higher rates, with massive layoffs? (North Ave laid of 30 people going automatic?

2) Late at night they keep ONE manual open. Truckers hate this state.

3) 5 years ago they had a 33 million +/-, surplus, but now we are in deficit?

4) little or no lane improvement.

5) 30 years ago the tollways were supposed to be a temporary thing. Now it is a cash cow for the "Chicago Machine."

BTW,

Be careful about speeding with I-Pass. Ohio sends speeding tickets based on too little time between tolls paid.

I am sure with all of the civil rights violations this state carries, one more is no biggy. J
post #15 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 09:31 AM
TSR YOU KNOW!

Sportbike: 05 636
Years Riding: lots
How you found us: Long ago via Sportbike.net

Send a message via AIM to QUICKMCSS
Quote:
Originally posted by Pugsly
I wouldn't admit to blowing off the tolls dude. This is a public forum which means ANYONE could be lurking reading your posts.

Cops or anyone that matters are not going to check a sportbike forum to see who is blowing a 40cent toll. And Im not to cheap to pay a toll in a car cause I have change in there but I never carry any cash on me so it kind of makes it hard to pay a toll; "can you take a check?" lol.

CCS AM 81
Team Squid Racing.
post #16 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pugsly
I start at I-80 and I-294 and get off at River Road. That's .40 X 4 = $1.60 each way or $3.20 everyday or $16 a week or $64 a month.

I about sh*t when they talked about raising tolls to 75 cents.

As a citizen of Illinois I believe the tollway system to be unjust and an unfair tax. Why am I unfairly taxed because I have to go north, when my neighbor who heads west travels for free. Either tax everyone, or tax no one. Only taxing certain roads is just plain unfair.

Just my .02

2011 Suzuki GSXR750
2001 Suzuki GSXR600
post #17 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 10:39 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

You all know why the tollways are still charging tolls when they were supposed to stop years ago, right?

How else would they pay all the toll collectors?

I rec'd a bill about 6 months ago from that company that took over asking me for something like $2.10 for tolls that did not register ON MY I-PASS!!!!

I paid it of course after several weeks of making fun of how stupid the toll system is.

The only reason I have an I-pass is to be able to use the bypasses. I used them even before I had an I-pass but that is a diff story.

When I was driving back and forth to NIU all the time I NEVER p24d a frickin toll. It's only been in the last few years that I changed my attitude.
post #18 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 10:58 AM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

Motobeagle,

Dude, WTF are you thinking? Now! the toll roads are cash cows for the Chicago Machine? Dude those roads have been the cash cow for the DuPage County fatcats for 20 years or more.

That drunk Pape Philipe and his stickey fingered brother have been knee deep in mob-ties and positive cash flow from the toll booths long enough.

Chicago has less to gain from the toll authority than you think. Where are the toll booths in Chicago proper? Nowhere! We drive on Federal $$ and tax payers $$.

If you live in Chicago proper and say NO to the toll booths then you are just asking for them to be knocked down and for the fat cats in Springfield to tax you in other ways for the use of the roads.

If there is one fair thing about living in the city its that I never pay tolls and less of my bottom line (tax $$) goes to paying for crap that I don't use very often.

People who choose to live in the suburbs should have to bear the burden of the maintenence of the roads they use. Its called a user fee. If you wanna play you gotta pay. I live in Chicago and don't use the toll roads very often, why should I pay? I'm already dropping a tax bomb on Museaums and trolley cars new bus stops on Michigan Ave and all sort things that suburbanites don't get taxed for.

Buy and I-Pass and get over it.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #19 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 11:04 AM

That is a crock of shit that I could possibly get fined as a "big offender" since I pay a toll everytime and pretty much blow through before the green light comes on. That is bullshit. I paid the damn toll why the hell should I have to wait? I am actually a little worried that I would be one of these "major offenders" since I have been doing this for so long.
post #20 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 11:51 AM
Man with Big Hose

Sportbike: '01 Track only GSXR 600. No more street riding :(
Years Riding: Pick a number between 1 and 10? Opps now 1 and 11
How you found us: Champ91 in 2002

Send a message via AIM to Pugsly Send a message via MSN to Pugsly
Quote:
Originally posted by QUICKMCSS
Cops or anyone that matters are not going to check a sportbike forum to see who is blowing a 40cent toll. .
I wouldn't be so sure about that. You never know who is member. I guarantee you that this site has been watched by at least one suburban police dept to check if any hangouts are being posted in that town or any known trouble spots to keep a patrol in the area.

All i'm saying is be careful and don't be so naive to think we are immune to big brother here. I would never admit to any "illegal" act on a public forum. Common sense dude, common sense!

Ride safe...don't be stupid, keep the rubber side down.

That Boy Just Ain't Right
CCS #414
PARTS411.COM
Lockhart Phillips USA

NESBA #414 Advanced
2001 GSXR 600
post #21 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 12:16 PM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
Good thing I updated my Ipass with the new bike info. Although the lady said that it wasn't a good idea to put a bike on the pass. She said that they don't work some times. No SH&^T. That's why I want to cover my butt as much as I can.

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
post #22 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 12:38 PM

So hostile?

Quote:
Buy and I-Pass and get over it
Take it easy city guy. I was just pointing out how much they suck since I travel alot. If I am mistaken on who benefits the most, sorry my bad. The system is screwing "us" regardless of whose dick their using. Next time use the emoticons to show that your not trying to be a prick.

BTW, I do have an I-pass. Your point?
post #23 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chibeemer
We drive on Federal $$ and tax payers $$.

If there is one fair thing about living in the city its that I never pay tolls and less of my bottom line (tax $$) goes to paying for crap that I don't use very often.

I live in Chicago and don't use the toll roads very often, why should I pay?
you need to make up your mind...
post #24 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 12:56 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Yeh...very contradicting.
post #25 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 01:13 PM
Made in Wisconsin!

Sportbike: 02 RS125, 03 636 Race, 08 CRF150RB
Years Riding: 9 years
How you found us: search

You all can keep your damn tolls!

I'm glad we have freeways!

You guys have higher property taxes, higher crime, you have to pay to use your roads... why the heck do you live down there anyway?
post #26 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 02:27 PM

If you're fined for $1000 or whatever...can you ask to see each time you blew through? What if it wasn't me? What if someone else was using my car? What if it's unmanned and I went through because I had no change but paid at a manned booth? That's what you're supposed to do...if you have no change, then run it and pay when you get to the next place.
post #27 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 02:45 PM

Sportbike: CURRENTLY LOOKING
Years Riding: since I was 8
How you found us: The NET is MINE

This sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by BIGGY
If you're fined for $1000 or whatever...can you ask to see each time you blew through? What if it wasn't me? What if someone else was using my car? What if it's unmanned and I went through because I had no change but paid at a manned booth? That's what you're supposed to do...if you have no change, then run it and pay when you get to the next place.
This does suck, but the reality of the situation that if the car is registered to you you are responsible. I have had many people in the past try to convince me that it is ok to just blow the toll for whatever reason... I just decided to get an IPass and was done with it. It is convinient if you use the toll roads at all and it is not expensive. Now let's just hope that this is not going to get really bad. And Biggy, don't let other people use your car

Logtar - John

My Blog - @Logtar - Google+
post #28 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 09:57 PM

3 outta 5 of my close friends got fined. They actually are going back almost a year or so, all my friends offenses are from a year ago. one of my friend actually got two. The good thing is that whne you go to the toll authority hearing, give em some kind of story theyll cut it in half or something, they just want the money. theyll take whatever they can get!
post #29 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 10:02 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

tell em ya got 50 cents....those bastids!

post #30 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 10:15 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

Yea this is a bunch of shit if you ask me. They aren't making enough money so lets charge people $1000 fines.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode