Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Downtown Motorcycle Parking Brainstorming

691 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  obijuan 
#1 ·
I would like to move this discussion to its own thread:

I'm hearing that people are finding $5 parking spots near the loop. I propose that we try to get together and use a little collective barganing to widdle this cost down as close to $3 as possible. If I could ride for as much as it costs me to take the EL, I'd do it every day (rain or shine)

My thoughts:

1. Propose to a lot that 4 or 5 of us (however many we can max fit) rent a spot on a monthly basis for the summer. Then we add users like a subscription (say lot wants $200/month and we get 5 bikes, meaning each rider pays $40/month to park)

2. Try to find a lot that has some dead space that would only fit bikes and propose that we offer them $3 each bike and a steady supply of more than 4 bikes on any given day. This would net a lot $12 or the average price of a car for a spot that a car can't use.

3. Does anyone know anybody who lives in a downtown condo that might have a free space to rent during the work day? There are lots of new buildings going up in the south loop and I'm sure the lots are 1/2 empty during the day.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've driven to work a couple of times. I usually park in the Grant Street underground parking. It's $13 for the day. A little pricey but they have a fair amount of security and that's more important to me than cheap.

#3 ·
Well, I'd like to keep security in mind.

#4 · (Edited)
Option 2 is the best there. Not to be a pessimist but I don't think any lots are going to want to help you out in situation 1. They'll want $200/mo from each person guaranteed, most for-profit businesses are not going to go for a scenario where they forego revenue. They're probably not going to give you multiple passes to use for the single spot. Also, I frankly don't know if I trust people that I kinda know to not block me in, etc.

Option 3 is also gonna be slim, I have access to a spot that could be used down here but a) I've already had one motorcycle stolen out of that particular lot :twofinger (thief) and b) again you only get one electronic pass to get in and out. Everyone would have to come in at the exact same time every day.

All that being said I've never been able to park cheap down here, I work at lasalle & wacker and park at wells & lake for $13 but the guys there keep an eye on my bike all day AND I get to keep my key so they can't move it around. I usually only ride on fridays every once in awhile just to make the commute a little more interesting.

#5 ·
If you ask me, I think it's nuts to pay more than my train ticket for parking in a garage and then have the hassle of battling rush hour traffic on the way home.

#6 ·
Well I agree Dan but after school gets out LSD is a breeze to drive on because traffice is lighter. All the high maintenance chick teachers gotta live in trixielandia.

Maybe offering more than the car rate would be better. 1 car = $200 but maybe 4 bikes = $250?

RE: option 2; So can we agree to keep an eye out for a safe lot with some dead space? Don't confront the guy by yourselves just yet, we should get a group to go there and negotiate so they know how much the space is worth to 4 or 5 of us.

#7 · (Edited)
As far as security, at the place I go to, the guy at the desk hassles you if you pick up your own bike without checking out at the desk first. The lot has several really expensive cars parked in it, so I don't think I have to worry about my bike.

It's an old warehouse converted to a garage, I see several bikes parked in there.

I keep trying to do the math, but unless we were to find a really cool lot, I don't see space sharing working. Either we'd have to pay more than it's worth, or the lot would have to be willing to accept a loss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.