being sued - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

being sued

someone I know is being sued. And they never had to go through with this before. First, they learned about the case because one of the tv court shows sent a letter. But never received a summons.

There is a court case date and time etc.... on the cook county site for small claims. Does the person have to file an apperance? And can this be done at any court house in cook county?

The case is based on property damage. And I'm assuming the defendent should counter sue because the plantiff made an agreement not to collect any "moneys" and there was equal amount of property damage on the defendents part too. So how do they go about filing to "counter sue"?

I notice a summons was returned on the county website, does this mean anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

I answered most of the questions I had from the legal aid site. But still have this one. Because no summons was received, does that mean the court case is on hold?

Last edited by 87nationalbuick; 11-21-2007 at 07:11 AM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

They have to recieve a summons, so until they are summonsed the case shouldn't happen.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 08:43 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHeYeNNe View Post
They have to recieve a summons, so until they are summonsed the case shouldn't happen.
Why do you think Cheyenne rides so fast? - so they cant serve him!

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87nationalbuick View Post
someone I know is being sued. And they never had to go through with this before. First, they learned about the case because one of the tv court shows sent a letter. But never received a summons.

There is a court case date and time etc.... on the cook county site for small claims. Does the person have to file an apperance? And can this be done at any court house in cook county?

The case is based on property damage. And I'm assuming the defendent should counter sue because the plantiff made an agreement not to collect any "moneys" and there was equal amount of property damage on the defendents part too. So how do they go about filing to "counter sue"?

I notice a summons was returned on the county website, does this mean anything?

A TV court show?

Thats not a real court, therefore that letter doesn't mean he's getting sued. It means he/she is being asked to agree to some form of binding arbitration for the entertainment of the trailer park set.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 08:51 AM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

No summons = never got letter. Not that it matters. TV court show?

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 10:54 AM
Infectious Human Waste

Sportbike: <600cc's
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: .

Send a message via AIM to Milenko Send a message via Yahoo to Milenko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Why do you think Cheyenne rides so fast? - so they cant serve him!
Chey isnt fast? what are you talking about?

Even heroes know when to be scared.
..As I shifted into 6th, I forgot every f'in thing she said..
Im a fuel injected suicide machine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criminalgrrl View Post
I'd let him pee in my butt
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
A TV court show?

Thats not a real court, therefore that letter doesn't mean he's getting sued. It means he/she is being asked to agree to some form of binding arbitration for the entertainment of the trailer park set.

The letter came stating, due to a public record showing that you have a case against you. We are interested in doing your case on tv. And we will pay court costs and the verdict. So we both knew who filed the lawsuit. I went to the cookcounty clerk website, typed in my friends name, and I found the document saying, this person has filed a motion to sue you ........... and there will be a court date on this ....... and in room.......

Right now, it says summons, "no contact" on cook county's clerk site.

And to add.
My friend called the guy up. and spoke to his wife. Saying why is your husband suing me. And she said, I dont know anything about it. So I dont know how this should play, since my friend is aware of the case and the plantiffs wife to verify it.

Last edited by 87nationalbuick; 11-21-2007 at 12:35 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
The letter came stating, due to a public record showing that you have a case against you. We are interested in doing your case on tv. And we will pay court costs and the verdict. So we both knew who filed the lawsuit. I went to the cookcounty clerk website, typed in my friends name, and I found the document saying, this person has filed a motion to sue you ........... and there will be a court date on this ....... and in room.......

And to add.
My friend called the guy up. and spoke to his wife. Saying why is your husband suing me. And she said, I dont know anything about it. So I dont know how this should play, since my friend is aware of the case and the plantiffs wife to verify it.
tell him to just go. The tv show pays court costs and the verdict and he gets on tv. Go, enjoy those 15 minutes of fame, see if he can get thrown out of the courtroom by Judge Judy, that would be a sweet claim to have
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:

And to add.
tell him to just go. The tv show pays court costs and the verdict and he gets on tv. Go, enjoy those 15 minutes of fame, see if he can get thrown out of the courtroom by Judge Judy, that would be a sweet claim to have
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:

And to add.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

my friend called up the tv show and listened to the story and they said it wasn't juicy enough.

I think it's a win if my friend's witness doesn't flake out.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 06:35 PM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milenko View Post
Chey isnt fast? what are you talking about?

Naw I'm slow as fuck. Doing the speedlimit 24/7

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

what fun. First I assumed what I read was true.

The defendent needs to make an apperence, and that costs 130 dollars. Eventhough the Plantiff made a donation for 150 dollars.

Mediation doesn't get anything solved and they dont note the case to the judge.

Judge listens to plaintiff. Judge listens to the defendant, says heres the verdict, eventhough the defendant hasn't even finished the case, showed pictures of the damages, or even had the witness, WITNESS say something. WTH. We drag the witness to court and make them wait 3 hours.

So my friend has to pay half of what the plantiff wants. No one is happy, and the only thing the judge secretary? says is get a lawyer.

I'm not even sure how the judge pulled half of the costs out of his ass. It was either the Plantiff either wins 100% or the defendent shows the itimized damages.

So does anyone know how long payment is needed to be paid before a Lien is put on a property?

And we need some real judges.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA

Quote:
what fun. First I assumed what I read was true.

The defendent needs to make an apperence, and that costs 130 dollars. Eventhough the Plantiff made a donation for 150 dollars.

Mediation doesn't get anything solved and they dont note the case to the judge.

Judge listens to plaintiff. Judge listens to the defendant, says heres the verdict, eventhough the defendant hasn't even finished the case, showed pictures of the damages, or even had the witness, WITNESS say something. WTH. We drag the witness to court and make them wait 3 hours.

So my friend has to pay half of what the plantiff wants. No one is happy, and the only thing the judge secretary? says is get a lawyer.

I'm not even sure how the judge pulled half of the costs out of his ass. It was either the Plantiff either wins 100% or the defendent shows the itimized damages.
Uh, yeah. It sounds like your friend's defense was, basically, "Well, it cost me something too." I don't think that's going to work unless you countersue. The judge didn't seem to think so either from the sound of it.

Half the costs probably came from the idea that your plaintiff is 50% liable, which is about as good as you can do.

Quote:
So does anyone know how long payment is needed to be paid before a Lien is put on a property?

And we need some real judges.
I assume you meant to ask how long you have to pay before a lien is placed. I don't know why you should. If your friend is not planning to delay payment, then it doesn't matter. And, if your friend IS planning to delay payment, you should probably get hold of a real lawyer and get some real advice, rather than asking your internet buddies. Come to think of it, that might have been a good idea to begin with.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 08:30 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

This thread is a joke right? If not it needs to be retitled as one

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrand View Post
Uh, yeah. It sounds like your friend's defense was, basically, "Well, it cost me something too." I don't think that's going to work unless you countersue. The judge didn't seem to think so either from the sound of it.

Half the costs probably came from the idea that your plaintiff is 50% liable, which is about as good as you can do.
It's a bit of a different type of a case, but the judge should have looked at the damages. And he didn't care if my friend was served or not. Judge was 80 years old and didn't seem to care. The court case before ours was continued because he didn't want to make a verdict on it.

Quote:
I assume you meant to ask how long you have to pay before a lien is placed. I don't know why you should. If your friend is not planning to delay payment, then it doesn't matter. And, if your friend IS planning to delay payment, you should probably get hold of a real lawyer and get some real advice, rather than asking your internet buddies. Come to think of it, that might have been a good idea to begin with.
the verdict came out to 1000 dollars. Moneys tight and it might be a week to pay the verdict.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
the verdict came out to 1000 dollars. Moneys tight and it might be a week to pay the verdict.

A week isn't going to hurt anybody. It'll probably cost $1000 for a lawyer by the time it's said and done.

After the payment is made, MAKE SURE to get a copy of the court record that has the judge signing off the judgement (proof that it was paid). I have a judgement from '01 that almost kept me from getting from getting my house. I've tried several times to get it off my credit report unsuccessfully, even though I have proof it was paid in full.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker View Post
A week isn't going to hurt anybody. It'll probably cost $1000 for a lawyer by the time it's said and done.

After the payment is made, MAKE SURE to get a copy of the court record that has the judge signing off the judgement (proof that it was paid). I have a judgement from '01 that almost kept me from getting from getting my house. I've tried several times to get it off my credit report unsuccessfully, even though I have proof it was paid in full.
How do you go about getting the judge to sign off? I told my friend to send the check certified mail.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
How do you go about getting the judge to sign off? I told my friend to send the check certified mail.
I would just go in to the circuit clerks office a couple months after you pay. They should have a copy of the thing. I'll have to see if I can dig mine up to see what the name of the document is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode