Harley Drastically slowing production and idling workers - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Harley Drastically slowing production and idling workers

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D8T5KDU00.htm

Harley-Davidson idles 5,400 workers
By EMILY FREDRIX
MILWAUKEE

Some 5,400 Harley-Davidson Inc. workers are out of work this week as the motorcycle maker cuts production because of falling sales.

The Milwaukee-based company announced in September it would shut down production at plants in Wisconsin, Kansas City, Mo., and York, Pa., this week as part of a planned cut in production.

A shorter layoff is better than a long one, said Frank Larkin, a spokesman for the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, which represents workers at Harley-Davidson plants. At least workers were able to prepare for it, he said.

"We were informed early on this was being proposed and we were able to relate to our members they would need to begin planning financially for one week without a paycheck," he said.

Employees will still receive benefits during the week, he said.

Harley-Davidson spokesman Bob Klein said the plant in York, Pa., the company's largest, has 2,800 workers idled this week.

There are about 1,750 workers idled in Wisconsin at power-train operations in Wauwatosa and Menomonee Falls and another in Tomahawk. The Kansas City, Mo., plant has 850 workers idled.

Workers in Pennsylvania weren't phased by the shutdown, said Tom Boger, the business representative for the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Local 175 union. He said it was short and they had time to prepare.

"People seem to be OK with it," he said. "It seems to be just no problem."

Boger also said the shutdown was well-timed to go with the start of deer hunting season in Pennsylvania, meaning workers wouldn't have to take days off to hunt.

Last month, Harley-Davidson reported its third-quarter profit fell 15.3 percent amid a continued sluggish U.S. market for motorcycles. The company said it expects next year to be difficult, too, as domestic buyers become more cautious about their spending given rising oil prices and slumping home sales.

The company cut bike shipments and earnings expectations in September. Shipments were down 10.8 percent to 86,535 units in the most recent three-month period.

Harley-Davidson expects full-year shipments to be between 328,000 and 332,000 units, down from 349,196 units last year.

Shares of Harley-Davidson fell 8 cents, or 0.17 percent, to $46.45 on Monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 05:09 AM
Thee original azzhole!

Sportbike: 97 900rr-rip 09/09, 69 chevelle SS, & ???
Years Riding: it doesnt matter
How you found us: i see all

Send a message via AIM to Thunderstruck
hmm...here is an idea....how about droping the price of the bikes?...that would make an incentive for others to buy a bike....zero reason for a bike to be over 15 grand...it costs more then a freakin car...specially since alot of the parts are interchanged between the bikes...

...plus my gf was with me saying "omg slow down, slow down" and I was thinking "Lose annoying squalk box in passenger seat, afford more mods and have less weight in the car and on the back of the bike"...so i dumped her and I'm single again as usual...HERE KITTY KITTY!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
pussy is the root of all evil...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny View Post
mmmm pussy
You dont like me....i dont give a fuck...cause i'll still put ya in the hospital...me tollerating you is all that matters...
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 05:32 AM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Just keep saying to yourself... "We are not in a resession" and maybe it will not happen....
post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:51 AM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
Just keep saying to yourself... "We are not in a resession" and maybe it will not happen....

+1

Look at it this way, an extended vacation unpaid of course.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 07:57 AM

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

I think that HD is a really dead spot of the market. The average cruiser rider will most likely buy Japanese because of price, technology and reliability. The "look at me" crowd will buy pimped out 35k+ real custom bikes that are borderline unforgeable girth and weight due to their way out styling. This really leaves HD with a small niche market with not many to pool from.
may be this is why Buell is really pushing the new bike. The sportbike market has way more possibilities if they can ever get their foot in the door.
Sucks to hear anyone is ever out of a job. Perhaps limiting supply will make them more desirable again.

Under200
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 07:58 AM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
I'm in manufacturing, we're slowing down. Customers are canceling orders and pushing back ship dates.
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 08:20 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
I'm in manufacturing, we're slowing down. Customers are canceling orders and pushing back ship dates.
That isn't good

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 08:27 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by gconsier View Post
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D8T5KDU00.htm

Harley-Davidson idles 5,400 workers
By EMILY FREDRIX
MILWAUKEE

Last month, Harley-Davidson reported its third-quarter profit fell 15.3 percent amid a continued sluggish U.S. market for motorcycles. The company said it expects next year to be difficult, too, as domestic buyers become more cautious about their spending given rising oil prices and slumping home sales.
I'm too lazy to search, but I suspect all manufacturers in the US are on the same boat, because of the same reasons. Rising oil prices and slumping home sales, make people nervous...they are saving instead of spending. What is the unsecured debt load per American now That has to play into this too

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Model citizen

Sportbike: ktm
Years Riding: a few
How you found us: SBN

week long manufacturing shut-downs are not uncommon this time of year

Eric
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
+1 I am in the distribution business and this black Friday sucked compared to last year. We fill orders for Target, Amazon, Kohls etc......and they were way down this year. Have friends in the manufacturing arena and they are having weeks of shut down.
Hate to cry that the sky is falling.......but the sky IS falling.
Really sad. Wages are roughly what people have been making about 5 yrs ago or more but the cost of every single thing from fuel to food has just kept climbing. Not to mention that the last hope of a financial net everyone had, their home; also has lost value.
We may all have to sneak into China for work soon. Damn illegals

Under200
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:20 AM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
It's no recession. People are now just realizing that Harleys are overpriced crap.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:34 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

WTF does a premium priced motorcycle manufacturer sales decline have to do with a recession?

Why should HD drop prices just to keep the overpaid union laborers employed?

When half the people on this board are forced to sell their bikes just to make their mortgage payments then let's start talking about a recession.
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz View Post
WTF does a premium priced motorcycle manufacturer sales decline have to do with a recession?

When half the people on this board are forced to sell their bikes just to make their mortgage payments then let's start talking about a recession.
When Americans stop buying overpriced crap we call that the beginnings of a recession.
If we all had to sell our bikes I think they call that the great depression
post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:42 AM
The Benchwarmer

Sportbike: Ninja
Years Riding: Long
How you found us: Dong

Quote:
Originally Posted by gconsier View Post
When Americans stop buying overpriced crap we call that the beginnings of a recession.
If we all had to sell our bikes I think they call that the great depression
We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:43 AM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
The real sign is Starbucks is showing a decline in it's customer base. For the first time it is doing TV ads to get people back. The CEO of GE said it best though. When times are good, people buy light bulbs by the mega pack. When times are lean, people buy one/two bulbs as needed.

That is a real sign of a recession. Luxury items come and go as fads come and go.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #16 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:49 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
My gut says the HD decline is because it was a fad. The "in" thing to do was buy a HD if you were a middle-aged, middle-class guy. It almost seems HD saturated the market too much and lost some of it's "bad boy" image. I'm sure sales will pick back up in a couple of years.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #17 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Quote:

+1. I'm not saying we aren't heading into a recession, but I fail to see the correlation between HD losing business and a recession.

I do think we are borderline going into a depression though. At the current state, I think this country will bounce back without a problem, but if something big were to happen to the economy, where in the past we could absorb it, might have bad results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #18 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
This is more a function of harley screwing up a few years ago and upping production. for years they had a waiting list and it kept used values up sometimes even higher than new values. so their bikes were an investment as they held thier value and even climbed in value. this afforded the blue collar guy an opportunity to own the bike of his dreams and even make a few bucks on it. now that they are a depreciable asset it's much harder to justify that purchase.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #19 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

I guess we'll leave the fact that WallStreet is paying out over 38 billion in bonuses for this year despite piss poor performance off the table for now...
( http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Business/208776/ )

When people's disposable income goes BYEBYE, decadent items are the first to feel the missing income. Let's call it simple reverse re-distribution of wealth.. take from the many and give to the few.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by Arch; 11-27-2007 at 10:30 AM.
post #20 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
+1. I'm not saying we aren't heading into a recession, but I fail to see the correlation between HD losing business and a recession.

I do think we are borderline going into a depression though. At the current state, I think this country will bounce back without a problem, but if something big were to happen to the economy, where in the past we could absorb it, might have bad results.
Motorcycles are for the most part a luxury item, you do not need them. HD is a real luxury item since they cost more than their peers.
During a recession the middle class stops buying luxury items because they must allocate their money on the necessities. When living cost rise and your wage does not you must start reorganizing what you need and what you want. You must have shelter, heat and food. The rest are extras. A HD is an extra.

Under200
post #21 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Clever Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by under200 View Post
Motorcycles are for the most part a luxury item, you do not need them. HD is a real luxury item since they cost more than their peers.
During a recession the middle class stops buying luxury items because they must allocate their money on the necessities. When living cost rise and your wage does not you must start reorganizing what you need and what you want. You must have shelter, heat and food. The rest are extras. A HD is an extra.

Under200
I don't understand why, but it seems to me like every time someone loses a job or a company reports a loss, everybody jumps on the recession claim. I'm not denying a recession, but I like how HDTony put it. They fucked up and are paying the price. It has nothing to do with the economy. Sure, they might be losing a few sales due to it, but losing that much, it seems like a company problem, not a recession.

Quote:
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #22 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 10:12 AM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Man you fuckers are depressing today, i'm gonna go find that picture of the bunny with a pancake on his head and cheer myself up before i drive my truck into an embankment

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #23 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Man you fuckers are depressing today, i'm gonna go find that picture of the bunny with a pancake on his head and cheer myself up before i drive my truck into an embankment

Under200
post #24 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 10:17 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #25 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 10:17 AM
AKA... blueberryboytoy

Sportbike: Track: 2004 Zakota Pocketbike killer!
Years Riding: here and dare...
How you found us: browsin' for porn

The U.S. still manufactures stuff right here in the United States? Wow, I had no idea....I thought everything we own is now made by 10 year olds in third world countries.

"Smooth roads do not make skillful riders"
-----------------------------------------
Keith
post #26 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLean View Post
The U.S. still manufactures stuff right here in the United States? Wow, I had no idea....I thought everything we own is now made by 10 year olds in third world countries.
There's a difference between 'manufacturing' and 'assembling'.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #27 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 10:21 AM
Clever Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
There's a difference between 'manufacturing' and 'assembling'.
My company still manufactures all our products in house My group has some of our parts tooled in China, but the majority of our company still goes domestic. Plus with ITARS, you almost don't have a choice but to tool in USA.

Quote:
post #28 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 10:22 AM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

Quote:
searching for said bunny while driving will cause you to drive into the embankment

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #29 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 10:28 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Quote:

A loooong period of recession precedes a depression.
post #30 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
A loooong period of recession precedes a depression.
When it comes to financial matters I defer to Kruz, the guy knows his shit, hands down!

Of course if its radar detectors or chatterbox's he's full of it.

- Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode