tie down question - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Man with Big Hose

Sportbike: '01 Track only GSXR 600. No more street riding :(
Years Riding: Pick a number between 1 and 10? Opps now 1 and 11
How you found us: Champ91 in 2002

Send a message via AIM to Pugsly Send a message via MSN to Pugsly
tie down question

how well do bikes stay upright without wheel chocks when using tie downs in the back of an enclosed trailer?

doesn't look like the chocks will be in in time to go to gingerman.

if i tie them down front and back without chocks, will they remain upright during the journey?

That Boy Just Ain't Right
CCS #414
PARTS411.COM
Lockhart Phillips USA

NESBA #414 Advanced
2001 GSXR 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 09:16 PM

I transported a bike in the back of a ford ranger for florida to here with only front tie downs, one on each side. You just have to pull them so tight that the forks compress a little.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 12:18 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

i would always suggest doing the front with a canyon dancer (wraps around the handle bar ends) and then use tie downs from the rear (both sides) and that thing wont move a bit...its been done that way since man made a motorcycle

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 12:23 AM
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

How smooth is the trailer floor? Maybe add some nonslip strips to the floor where the tires will be. When you tie down in the back of a truck you have sort of a rail in the bed of the truck. If you are really worried throw together a wood frame that will keep the tires from going side to side.

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons

Last edited by bluebusa60544; 05-07-2003 at 12:27 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 12:52 AM

You want the majority of he weight of the biek ot be naturally restrained.... i.e. the front fork normally takes the greatest load, so you want the front wheel held so that it cannot turn or roll forward.

The rear straps are only to help stablize the bike and to keep the rear en from bouncing up. THe front straps must be tight enouhg that if the fork compresses, the straps cannot come loose.

A good rule is tighten the front 2/3rds of the total fork travel...approx +2" and the rear only needs about 1".

Other items
-do not use the side stand ot help support the bike!
-leave the bike in gear

I won't worry at all about the tires sliding side ot side.... most of the lateral forces are appied ot the straps. The bike won't "walk" aroudn on you if the straps are secure.

Fun fact for the day courtesy of my Packaging Dynamics class in college.... A Common myth about traillers and objects transproted inside of them is that heavier objects will not move around as much as lighter ones. FALSE - although the friction that resists sliding is greater on a heaver object with the same size footprint, bumps in the road accelerate all objects equally regardless of weight. SO if you hit a bump and a 10g's are applied for 0.1ms.... a 1 ton chunk of iron and a large block of styrofoam will jump off the floor momentarily the same amount.

Last edited by cherrypicker; 05-07-2003 at 01:03 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Man with Big Hose

Sportbike: '01 Track only GSXR 600. No more street riding :(
Years Riding: Pick a number between 1 and 10? Opps now 1 and 11
How you found us: Champ91 in 2002

Send a message via AIM to Pugsly Send a message via MSN to Pugsly
Quote:
Originally posted by bluebusa60544
How smooth is the trailer floor? Maybe add some nonslip strips to the floor where the tires will be. When you tie down in the back of a truck you have sort of a rail in the bed of the truck. If you are really worried throw together a wood frame that will keep the tires from going side to side.
i do have a nonslip trailer floor. I painted it with outdoor porch and patio paint and mixed in the BEHR nonslip additive (looked like really fine sand) the floor is gritty now.

So it sounds like as long as i make sure the forks are compressed and the rear is "stabilized" by an additional set of straps i soud be ok?

i usually have a chock but since it's a new trailer, i haven't got them installed yet. I got i set of canyon dancer and will use just webbing looped around the handlebars for the other set.

Thanx guys!!! just didn't want TP5's MV laying on it's side when we arrive at gingerman

That Boy Just Ain't Right
CCS #414
PARTS411.COM
Lockhart Phillips USA

NESBA #414 Advanced
2001 GSXR 600
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 08:10 AM

Sportbike: Trek 2100 Baby!!!!
Years Riding: Since I was a kid
How you found us: Been here for a while

Quote:
-leave the bike in gear
Cherry, you do want the bike in gear or you do not want the bike in gear? I was never sure about that.

NESBA #341 Beginner
- Mike
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beef
Cherry, you do want the bike in gear or you do not want the bike in gear? I was never sure about that.
I always do. Just incase one set of straps loosens up significantly it will help reduce soem of the strain. It also keeps the bike from rolling after you loosen the straps if you unload on an incline by yourself. You can then use it as a rear brake when unloading too.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 09:23 AM

Sportbike: Trek 2100 Baby!!!!
Years Riding: Since I was a kid
How you found us: Been here for a while

The unloading part makes sense, but all that bouncing around while traveling can't be good for the trans locked in gear.

NESBA #341 Beginner
- Mike
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beef
The unloading part makes sense, but all that bouncing around while traveling can't be good for the trans locked in gear.
The rear wheel should not be moving when it's strapped down. Adn if it is, you want the tranny to prevent the bike from rolling around. Regardless, the modern trannys are so robust it's like being worried about punching a hole through a cinder block walll with a rubber mallet. I'm terrible at shifting and mercilessly abuse my tranny on and off the track, 34k miels later, it still works just fine.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 10:20 AM
Give 'em hell guys!!

Sportbike: R6
Years Riding: 17
How you found us: JimGoFast

Just a warning, be careful when you tie down the front end, use as little force as possible. It is better to tighten down the rear of the bike and lightly tie down the front, to avoid the forks/triples getting tweaked. This is the same recommendation that Jim at 4&6/computrack will give you. Excessive tightening of the front end can tweak it.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 10:22 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
We never leave our bikes in gear, nor have we ever had a problem with excessive movement.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 10:37 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Pugs.....butt the front tire against the front wall of the trailer. Use the front d-rings and your foot begs to wedge it agianst the front wall of the trailer. Ratchet the front down just snug enough to load the front end a little. Tie down the rear subframe for good measure to the rear d-rings.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 11:08 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
I've read that ideally you want the bike to be floating between the front and rear. Not too much shock compression also to allow it to do its job. So actually a chock isn't necessary but is very helpful loading the bike.

<--------Sticky Nicky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode