Is Hazing A Chigago Thing? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

Is Hazing A Chigago Thing?

When I was in High School, just after the inquisition, we had two courtyards on the campus.

The first was the Senior court. We could eat lunch in there, study, or plan and work on school activities. Only Seniors were allowed.

The second courtyard was the Junior courtyard. The Juniors were given the same opportunities the the Seniors had but they used a different courtyard. Only Juniors were allowed.

The only time hazing occured was if a non class member arrived in a courtyard before their allotted year.

Our Powderpuff Football games were just that, Football games. We would bet on which class would win, the Seniors or the Juniors. The only hazing took place when the winners were challenged to a pizza eating contest afterwards.

Help me out, Doc. Does your building have all that stuff going on?

Taborn

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 03:29 PM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

I went to school in Cicero and no such hazing took place.

The only Hazing i know of is when i recieved my Ranger Tabs but that was painful and EXTREMELY rewarding at the time. I looked forward to that day and i loved it that night and everyday i look back i am grateful for the hazing that took place. It made me feel like i was "IN". No sympathy from me for those who "could'nt take it". They new what was gonna happen so i say they were just soft. As far as hazing goes if you don't want to take part of it then don't put yourself in that situation. As far as GB north goes i am sure not every single junior girl in the school was forced to play in the game so since it was a handfull of girls they knew damn well what was gonna happen.

Once again---------- A Choice.

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:14 PM

I experienced hazing in Track & Field and swimming... but that';s mostly because I wasn't as good of an athlete in those sports and I fought instead of just taking it. I was one of the top runners in Cross Country and the team was young, so I never had a problem there, because i was one of the leaders almost immediately because I was on the varsity squad from day 1. The group of seniors when I was a freshmen were real assholes. by the next year, the coaches had all but put a stop to even minor forms of hazing... that was in '93. Maybe things move a little slower around here.

Some of it is attitude... as usual those that took it light heartedly and in the not-so -lean fun it was, accepted the ritual and moved on... but thsoe that fought got it worse.

I know our boys soccer team was the worst.... even the best players went for a swim in a few ponds.

We never did anything that could cause any real harm or was neessesarily illegal. Wedgies, and titty twisters or takign a swim in a mucky pond is realatively harmless.... hell we even got one poor kid OVER his fear of dogs by forcing him to pet a couple.
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I went to Lyons township. we had junoirs and seniors at one campus and freshman/ sophmores at the other campus. So nothing like that ever went on. Granted I was the guy who always threw the parties with 4 and 5 kegs, but nothing like that ever happened at my place or I would have had my security team kick thier ass.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:23 PM
hayabusa_z

Hey I went to a HS in Cicero too! Never saw the hazing and I was on football for 4 years. We always played the Juniors against the Seniors game, but nothing like what these ignorant girls were doing. I was also in a frat in college, and our hazeing was nothing abusve like that. My black belt test was kinda of a hazing where a bunch of guys kicked the crap out of me, but I knew what I was in for, and I worked hard to get the reward of having a black belt. These girls were just snobs out of control, and what they did was illegal. If we did that in college, and it got out, we would have been sued, kicked out of school and probably gone to jail. There was no reward for these girls who got hazed except public embaressment and maybe the right to be in the "cool girl" click. What a accoplishment that is.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:28 PM

Sportbike: 98' CBR600F3
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: back in the old days of SBN

I don't remember any hazing going on during high school. Although for lunch each class year had their own particular section and everyone who wandering in there got made fun of because they didn't belong Although I was happy I knew some seniors so my sophomore year I got to sit with them, that was 'cool' then. I didn't go to a University, just a community college but I know no one mentioned anything like that. *shrug*

I seriously don't recall any hazing...well other than making fun of or watching the guys hit each other jokinginly but guys do that at any age so that's not special.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:28 PM

Sportbike: k7 gsxr 600 track bike project
Years Riding: couple years...
How you found us: google

i wouldn't consider this hazing, but the juniors and seniors would chose 10 of their top drinkers of their class, and have a keg race. thats the only jr vs sr competition that was hype!
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:29 PM

Sportbike: k7 gsxr 600 track bike project
Years Riding: couple years...
How you found us: google

Quote:
Originally posted by Jcaloncagon
i wouldn't consider this hazing, but the juniors and seniors would chose 10 of their top drinkers of their class, and have a keg race. thats the only jr vs sr competition that was hype!
throwing up WAS allowed...
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:32 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

I went to a small Christian School in Palos heights. We had a couple of bad apples that pulled stupid stuff like stuffin' people in lockers or knockin' books and papers out of your hands. Nothing major though. I had a good friend that was an upperclassmen and kicked anyone's butt that messed with me in any way. I always through the big party's too and mostly everyone just got along.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 04:36 PM
K.I.S.S

Sportbike: CBR600RR & H-D Softail Custom
Years Riding: almost as long as it took to fill this out
How you found us: through a miracle

Send a message via AIM to MikeD
i have 2 opinions:

1) hazing does not belong anywhere. Where ever an "in" crowd sees it proper to pick on the "outsiders" in blind violance is dispicable and completely disrespectful and lacking in any form of humanity.

2) people whom allow themselvs to be hazed (and sit thru it) are of low selfesteem and low willed. never would just sit there and take it. something about survival instincs say "getting attacked, get out of there" not "getting attacked, get a snickers and wait it out"

i hope all those whom did the attacks and those whom got attacked do get punished to the full extent of the law, and a perminent black mark be on there record to the perly gates.

i know right from wrong when i was a little kid, and something says beating up someone NOT in selfdefense is wrong.

God have mercy on me for what i would do if someone tried that to my daughter.

Willard: When I was home after my first tour, it was worse. I'd wake up and there'd be nothing. I hardly said a word to my wife, until I said "yes" to a divorce. When I was here, I wanted to be there; when I was there, all I could think of was getting back into the jungle.

Last edited by MikeD; 05-08-2003 at 04:39 PM.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 05:12 PM

Optimus, I agree with you in part. I am not for the malicous hazing that happens in some fraternities or apparently high school. I didnt have anything like that when I went to high school. I was on soccer and track and never had anything like that.

When I went to college and joined a fraternity I experienced some rights of passage but it wasnt malicous or hateful. That is where I draw the line. Everything that I did was fun as hell and can be laughed at.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 05:14 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

There was a freshmen hell week closer to the end of the year at Naperville North, but parents started complaining so any senior caught doing something wrong (like trying to cement a pair of kegs in the parking lot...true story ) wouldn't be allowed to walk so the pranks all pretty much stopped which really sucked because you looked forward to that as underclassmen. The first day of school seniors normally ordered freshmen to do shit like 20 pushups in the middle of the hallway, stuff like that as well.

I assume this question was brought up due to the recent events shown in the news of these girls going wayyyyyyyyyyy overboard? Frankly, I feel a little hazing is a part of the high school experience, I always thought it was pretty funny. Then again, after Columbine I guess nobody has a sense of humor anymore.

What was that movie, dazed and confused where the seniors would try paddling the graduating 8th graders that were attending high school next year....that shit is great

Last edited by CRAZe Inc; 05-08-2003 at 05:19 PM.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 05:22 PM
hayabusa_z

Quote:
Originally posted by Optimus_P
i have 2 opinions:

2) people whom allow themselvs to be hazed (and sit thru it) are of low selfesteem and low willed. never would just sit there and take it. something about survival instincs say "getting attacked, get out of there" not "getting attacked, get a snickers and wait it out"

No offence opt.. but to actually sit there and take that much punishment for something you want or believe in takes and incredible amount of will and courage. Most people will run at the first sign of adverisity but it takes courge to stand up and take it. It was obviuos that these girls wanted something so
bad that they were willing to be put down infront of 200 people. This incident just got out of control. And when it did, at least these girls have the courge in their senior year to be black balled as the girls who told the news about the abuse they took. The people who were going the hazing were the cowards who had to use violence to haze their new found friends
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 05:26 PM

No one has said it, but that looked like more than hazing to me. There must have been something personal going on. Maybe one of the junior girls was shagging one of the senior girls boyfriends or something like that.

I went to Prospect class of '93. We were always too drunk or stoned to haze anyone. Our idea of hazing was letting the sophmores smoke the kind bud during lunch and not telling them it was kill bud. I guess the underclassmen always had to fetch the beers but I don't consider that hazing. Hell, isn't it a written man-rule that the youngest always has to fetch things?
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 05:28 PM
Woo Woo

Sportbike: None for now
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to ZoomByU
I remember hearing of a couple kids getting paddled when i was a freshman but i never worried about that b/c people already knew me before i came in freshman year. Besides you dont mess with the football team
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 05:36 PM
(no comment)

Sportbike: 98 YZF-R1, 2004 FJR1300
Years Riding: since 95
How you found us: Stumbled in

Am I the only one who can't believe how much press and attention this is getting. Who really cares what these kids are doing? Kids beat up on other kids every day in every town. This was just caught on tape, so it's getting publicized. I admit, some of the "stories" are a bit extreme sounding, but I really don't see what the big deal was. Everything I've heard says that everyone was there by free will and had knowledge of what was to be expected.

It''s just kids being kids, let them be.
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 05:37 PM
K.I.S.S

Sportbike: CBR600RR & H-D Softail Custom
Years Riding: almost as long as it took to fill this out
How you found us: through a miracle

Send a message via AIM to MikeD
Quote:
Originally posted by hayabusa_z
No offence opt.. but to actually sit there and take that much punishment for something you want or believe in takes and incredible amount of will and courage.

huge differance between religious/moral persecution and believeing in a cause for humanity then a sin of vanity.

"Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit."

edit:
ricerocket: examples must be made to apparently show it is not right to do this. it has been banned in colleges and the others should follow in line.

Last edited by MikeD; 05-08-2003 at 05:43 PM.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 05:59 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Quote:
Originally posted by hayabusa_z
No offence opt.. but to actually sit there and take that much punishment for something you want or believe in takes and incredible amount of will and courage.
That's ONE way to look at it.

Another would be misguided loyalties. Does it take "courage" to be jumped-in to a gang? Maybe. Does it take courage to say no to belonging to a gang in situations where gangs rule? Seems a lot more like "courage" to me.

Standing up to a bully who threatens to kick your ass for walking down his street, to me is much different than standing still for an ass kicking just to fit into a social group.

Dave
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 06:21 PM

I think the worst problem these day...is what happens in the aftermath. The leagal system is over used and heavily abused. It's too bad communities can't handle problems themselves. The courts should be a last resort when issues can't get resolved internally.

I took a lot of physical and emotional abuse in public school...easily as much as these girls took that day... big fucking deal... I don't think the ashoels that messed with me should go to jail.... most got their own punishments by having meaningless lives... nor should I get $100k for emotional abuse I recieved. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Feeling like a victim is a choice.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 06:49 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Quote:
Originally posted by cherrypicker
Feeling like a victim is a choice.
But BEING a victim is not a choice.

Dave
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 07:24 PM
(no comment)

Sportbike: 98 YZF-R1, 2004 FJR1300
Years Riding: since 95
How you found us: Stumbled in

Quote:
Originally posted by BusaDave
But BEING a victim is not a choice.
It seems to have been in this case.
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

Isn't it the case that we have accepted the lowest common denominator of behavior? The strongest, either physically or emotionally, set the bar for what is cool. But, isn't the reason people accept abuse on that level because they don't have acceptance for who they really are either at home or at school?

Taborn

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Labdog
The only Hazing i know of is when i recieved my Ranger Tabs but that was painful and EXTREMELY rewarding at the time. I looked forward to that day and i loved it that night and everyday i look back i am grateful for the hazing that took place.

Quote:
Originally posted by Optimus_P
i have 2 opinions:

2) people whom allow themselvs to be hazed (and sit thru it) are of low selfesteem and low willed. never would just sit there and take it. something about survival instincs say "getting attacked, get out of there" not "getting attacked, get a snickers and wait it out".
No personal disrespect to you for having an opinion but I strongly disagree with you. My opinion.

When I went through my "hazing" i never would of had a bad opinion of it. Even the painful day(s) that followed.

As far as low self esteem and low willed goes; i for one would think that applies to high school kids or adolescents but i also was 19 or 20 when i had it done. Survival skills may say run but DISCIPLINE is the factor that says if i run my buddy gets killed but if we stay and fight we both may walk away together. Victorious. That my friend is discipline. The ability to stare danger in the eyes and have a forthrite knowledge to make extreme decisions in a VERY short period of time and know your partner is thinking the same thing. Trust is earned and not given. I also believe that was confirmed in the "hazing" as well. Your buddy took what you took and after it was over your Givers accepted you with open arms. Next class you dished and accepted them as well. I know its a novel but i have my opinions as well and i have strong feelings on this maybe because of my military background but we were not much older than them. "Yes this was acceptible because you were soldiers" but these girls just wanted to be accepted in a group as well. Different cause but yet same feelings on the hazing "recievers" part i am sure. If not they would not of voluntarily gone there. Sorry but that's my .02

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 02:00 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Crazy...how did you get out of the locker?

post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I went to Lyons township. we had junoirs and seniors at one campus and freshman/ sophmores at the other campus. So nothing like that ever went on. Granted I was the guy who always threw the parties with 4 and 5 kegs, but nothing like that ever happened at my place or I would have had my security team kick thier ass.
Went to LT as well Tony, when did you graduate? Being that it was as separated as it was with the 2 campuses, nothing really ever happened aside from the usual pranks. Only time I've ever seen it was in fraternity life in college.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kruz
Crazy...how did you get out of the locker?

At least I still fit in the locker punk

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy
stupid stuff like stuffin' people in lockers or knockin' books and papers out of your hands.

Sorry but how often did ya get kicked in the as$ for picking up your books and papers?

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Labdog
Sorry but how often did ya get kicked in the as$ for picking up your books and papers?

What is this pick on Crazy day

I really didn't get picked on too much in High School. Like I said I had a good friend as an upperclassment. The only time someone knocked my books out of my hands he got stuffed in a locker.

I also played on the varsity baseball team as a sophmore so I got a little more respect than most underclassmen did

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 02:36 PM
hayabusa_z

Ahhhh... looks like we all have different opions on hazing. Well for those who disagree with me which is cool Just remeber being hazed is voluntary, its something you are willing to do. Now its hard to tell someone who has never been in a situtation where they have been hazed like we hear in the military or in the colleges, why you want to do this to belong to a group. So lets put this in a bikers view. Now you go out riding, meet up with some new people into the group and you know these guys newer to riding, or want to see what he can do. So you try to get him to go faster, do stunts etc to see what he is made of. Now if this guy want to be part of the pack, mostly likely he will try to show his stuff or try to go faster or stuts to belong to the group. Isnt that kind of a form of hazing? It may not be violent or abusive but its a form of hazing. You hint/push/suggest to do something they havn't done or dont want to do, but to feel like they belong they will try. If the new guy can't handle the bike he can get hurt. We all haze people in a way and most of the time we really dont realize it. Ok this is too long! I am cutting my self off!
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 03:03 PM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

I went to high school on the south side of Chicago in the 60's. I never even heard of hazing back then. Freshman, Senior, it really didn't matter much. We all carried similar caliber weapons to school.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode