Job - Sales - Year End Deal Closes - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Job - Sales - Year End Deal Closes

Is anyone else on this board in "Sales" and trying to close business by year end (or this week) ????? - I am losing my mind - I am going nuts trying to get everything out there closed out - Anyone who has ever purchased Software for a Corporation from a major Software Manufacture knows to do it at the end of the year as all publicly traded companies need to show as much "revenue" as they can each year and with the year closing, we are frickin goin crazy

I love dealing with the "vets" that say to me, "You want me to buy this week, I don't need it for another month or two, drop the cost by 25%, 30% or 35% (whatever the %) and you got a deal" - Now I have to go back to the Mfg and work with them then get approval from my Mgt to cut our margins even greater and work the whole thing on a sliding scale to show "cost of money" and my god I want to leap out a winder

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
maybe if you weren't jet6setting all over the world bangin beautiful latin woman with questionable morals, your sales would be closed

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
maybe if you weren't jet6setting all over the world bangin beautiful latin woman with questionable morals, your sales would be closed
HEY HEY HEY!!!!! - Let's leave morals out of this shall we - Those who know "how and when to buy" wait for this time of year as Mfg's drop their pants right quick to gain any revenue possible - I also make some cash too so that is getting me thru all this - I was chasing over $1.4 mil on Monday, some has pushed to 2008 and some has closed - I have $425K left to close

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 04:27 PM
I miss mopar

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: I can't count that high.
How you found us: i don't remember.

Send a message via AIM to Drama Send a message via Skype™ to Drama
I see no downside to girls with questionable morals.

My sales number isn't going to change unless I can get Motorola to buy another $10M by the end of the year. Kind of hard to get them to do when they are laying everyone off.

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
Dirt: TBD
I love bike shopping.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

ok ok

sell my company some software our order processing/ inventory software is the suck!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
sell my company some software our order processing/ inventory software is the suck!
Applications, BLAH - I do Security and High Availability with some scattering ancillaries in like WAN X, DLP, DDNS & DHCP, etc etc.

I did Apps at my old gig and did not like being "pigeon holed" into only 1 goodie in my bag of trix

Last edited by Bug; 12-19-2007 at 04:48 PM.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 04:36 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

A-I-D-A. Attention, Interest, Decision, Action. Attention - Do I have you attention? Interest - Are you interested? I know you are, because it's fuck or walk. You close or you hit the bricks. Decision - Have you made your decision for Christ? And Action.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A-I-D-A. Get out there - you got the prospects coming in. You think they came in to get out of the rain? A guy don't walk on the lot lest he wants to buy. They're sitting out there waiting to give you their money. Are you gonna take it? Are you man enough to take it?

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
I'm not in sales, but I can relate. I have customers putting up a boat load of prototype orders that they want by EOY so it doesn't affect their budgets next year. Couple that with every company boosting production orders up for the same reason and a bunch of the production workers going on vacation. It creates a lot of hostility between engineering and manufacturing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Bug

Jrock, I posted that Vid a while back - LOVE THAT MOVIE but close to home

Noodles - I had a CIO call my cell at 7:30 Mon Night and say, "Find a way to get Product X at so many to $70K as that is all I have in the budget for 2007 and need to spend it this week, am I spending it with you or someone else?"

I love those calls

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Clever Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
Jrock, I posted that Vid a while back - LOVE THAT MOVIE but close to home

Noodles - I had a CIO call my cell at 7:30 Mon Night and say, "Find a way to get Product X at so many to $70K as that is all I have in the budget for 2007 and need to spend it this week, am I spending it with you or someone else?"

I love those calls
I'd love them too if I got money out of it

Instead, I have to struggle to find vendors to make the piece parts as the one's already being used shut down for the year. Plus having the bitch of a production manager yelling because I ask to have assemblies built, so instead of working with them to get them built, I go above her and have an order put up for them, which she has to fulfill or gets written up. So instead of me being down there building with them, I get to have her bitch behind my back about something that could have easily been prevented.

I need a drink

Quote:
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Bug

Quote:
Instead, I have to struggle to find vendors to make the piece parts as the one's already being used shut down for the year. Plus having the bitch of a production manager yelling because I ask to have assemblies built, so instead of working with them to get them built, I go above her and have an order put up for them, which she has to fulfill or gets written up. So instead of me being down there building with them, I get to have her bitch behind my back about something that could have easily been prevented.

I need a drink
Sounds like some of my Engineers that put up a fight, I go to their boss, it gets done and the Customer is happy and I am the bad guy when all i did was bring revenue to the organization ?????

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Clever Girl

Quote:
Sounds like some of my Engineers that put up a fight, I go to their boss, it gets done and the Customer is happy and I am the bad guy when all i did was bring revenue to the organization ?????
Exactly. It brings in revenue, but is still a huge pain in my ass for a grand we are making off of it.

Quote:
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Bug

Quote:
Exactly. It brings in revenue, but is still a huge pain in my ass for a grand we are making off of it.
Yeah, I have to pick and choose my battles with them and if our margins are low, I will let it slide but if there is $$ to be made and I know Mgt will side with me? Donkey Kong was never that on!!!!!!

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:02 PM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePro8 View Post
I see no downside to girls with questionable morals.

My sales number isn't going to change unless I can get Motorola to buy another $10M by the end of the year. Kind of hard to get them to do when they are laying everyone off.
LOL, their CEO is getting punted so don't plan on getting that $10M year end closer
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:05 PM
Clever Girl

Quote:
Yeah, I have to pick and choose my battles with them and if our margins are low, I will let it slide but if there is $$ to be made and I know Mgt will side with me? Donkey Kong was never that on!!!!!!
I'm jealous

Unfortunately, the assemblies I need built are cheap and don't make us much money, as my company only did it because we were asked and they are one our top customers. And with the costs I had to pay to have parts expedited, I might actually being losing the company money on these

Quote:
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
LOL, their CEO is getting punted so don't plan on getting that $10M year end closer
Xander is gone? - Ahhh, the family legacy lives on - I HATED dealing with Motorola

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:27 PM
I wok!

Sportbike: 2006 felt f65 and a 07 STI
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: wtf is this shit...

Quote:
Is anyone else on this board in "Sales" and trying to close business by year end (or this week) ????? - I am losing my mind - I am going nuts trying to get everything out there closed out - Anyone who has ever purchased Software for a Corporation from a major Software Manufacture knows to do it at the end of the year as all publicly traded companies need to show as much "revenue" as they can each year and with the year closing, we are frickin goin crazy

I love dealing with the "vets" that say to me, "You want me to buy this week, I don't need it for another month or two, drop the cost by 25%, 30% or 35% (whatever the %) and you got a deal" - Now I have to go back to the Mfg and work with them then get approval from my Mgt to cut our margins even greater and work the whole thing on a sliding scale to show "cost of money" and my god I want to leap out a winder

haha this is my favorite time of year! i love sticking it to the sales guys. i dont need your stuff now give it to me cheaper =)
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by uicsux View Post
haha this is my favorite time of year! i love sticking it to the sales guys. i dont need your stuff now give it to me cheaper =)
Ahh ya prick pullah you

I have been through many a year end and it never gets easier

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:30 PM
I wok!

Sportbike: 2006 felt f65 and a 07 STI
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: wtf is this shit...

Quote:
Ahh ya prick pullah you

I have been through many a year end and it never gets easier
so what do u want to sell me?
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by uicsux View Post
so what do u want to sell me?
What do you need?

post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Yes, I'm loosing my mind at work with the year end push and I've got my plate full on a personal basis too. I can't wait till January.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Administrator

This is the SLOWest time of the year for me. Everyone is waiting for the beginning of the year and fresh budgets to spend money on their networks.

- Ronald Reagan

post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 10:21 PM
Üter Zörker

Sportbike: Silver 'Blade
Years Riding: Jan '07
How you found us: Stumbled onto it by mistake...

I start a new job January 2nd and am on vacation now. No pressure till then.

Enjoy year end. I remember fighting the end of '06 to push our 11 mil out the door. One order 1.7 mil. I won't miss that again til the end of '08.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 11:03 PM
JMN
Fornello Del Testicolo

Sportbike: 996
Years Riding: since 85'
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Applications, BLAH - I do Security and High Availability with some scattering ancillaries in like WAN X, DLP, DDNS & DHCP, etc etc.

I did Apps at my old gig and did not like being "pigeon holed" into only 1 goodie in my bag of trix
I could tease and mention that my company is looking at HACMP and GPFS right now... Oh wait just did.

~Jesse

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 12:38 AM

Sportbike: CB-1
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: web search

its the ABC's

I am in sales, and the key is always be closing. keep that pipeline full of fresh leads and ALWAYS have 3 elephants in sight that you are working on taking down. no said sales is easy and believe it when your comp is tied to revenue generation. it helps to have the best product on the street, and to have the business intel to beat your competitors to every pitch, but there is no substitute for grinding it out every day, year round. A ALWAYS, B BE, C CLOSING. Know your margins, and have the authority to price any deal on the spot, and have the smarts to run your business like the life of your company depends on it.

Perhaps it was the result of anxiety?

Last edited by n8sk8lee; 12-20-2007 at 12:40 AM.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8sk8lee View Post
I am in sales, and the key is always be closing. keep that pipeline full of fresh leads and ALWAYS have 3 elephants in sight that you are working on taking down. no said sales is easy and believe it when your comp is tied to revenue generation. it helps to have the best product on the street, and to have the business intel to beat your competitors to every pitch, but there is no substitute for grinding it out every day, year round. A ALWAYS, B BE, C CLOSING. Know your margins, and have the authority to price any deal on the spot, and have the smarts to run your business like the life of your company depends on it.
Thx for the advice - Been at the game a while now (over 13 yrs) so I know how it goes - Never had a year in all my years of sales under 150% of quota - The real money kicks in when you get over that - So why not make it

JMN - HACMP and GPFS - ????

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk

ThePro8 would like to close any deal.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

ha, i raised my sales by 40% this year by convincing the company to hire me an assistant. my goal for this year is convincing them to hire a replacement for me so i can get out of the office and work closer with our outside sales force and the customer on closing more jobs.

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 10:50 PM
JMN
Fornello Del Testicolo

Sportbike: 996
Years Riding: since 85'

Quote:
Thx for the advice - Been at the game a while now (over 13 yrs) so I know how it goes - Never had a year in all my years of sales under 150% of quota - The real money kicks in when you get over that - So why not make it

JMN - HACMP and GPFS - ????
They want MQ Clustering, only problem is they want that because they don't actually know what it is. And it isn't what they think. Here's the laugh... they're calling it "HighER availability" instead of "high availability". Yeah they're high alright. What we're actually going to give them is active/passive-passive active manual failover because that's all they'll pay for anyway... I basically work for Initech. When we got outsourced, one of the guys was even named Bob.

~Jesse

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMN View Post
... I basically work for Initech. When we got outsourced, one of the guys was even named Bob.
"Well, I wouldn't say I've been MISSING it Bob"

Sorry to hear Bro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode