trailering question - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Man with Big Hose

Sportbike: '01 Track only GSXR 600. No more street riding :(
Years Riding: Pick a number between 1 and 10? Opps now 1 and 11
How you found us: Champ91 in 2002

Send a message via AIM to Pugsly Send a message via MSN to Pugsly
trailering question

is it ok to have the front brake level appied while trailering? When strapped down and in gear, there is a little play in the tranny that lets its roll about 1 or 2 inches. I'm afraid that over a 3 hour drive that constant back and forth against the tranny with cause it harm. Si if i duct tape the front brake level to the handlebar, will i cause any problem to the brake system?

That Boy Just Ain't Right
CCS #414
PARTS411.COM
Lockhart Phillips USA

NESBA #414 Advanced
2001 GSXR 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
You really shouldnt have that much play in it how are you strapping it down. Plus I leave mine in nuetral when in tow.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 05:29 PM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
A little play in the tied down bike is okay, I would neither keep it in gear or zip tie the brake. A bunch of 400 guys used to zip the front brake to help bleed it on the ride but I had heard that it was not good and caused premature problems with the master cylinder. The bike should move a little and the suspension should be active.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 05:46 PM

Why is the bike rolling back and forth? you should have a wheel chock. You do not want to reply on the rear straps to hold 400lbs of bike from rolling forward when you nail the brakes in an emergency. I would not use the frotn brakle because a trailer surface may not offer suffiecent traction and again, you'll be putting a lot of weight on the rear straps. The rear straps are only to keep the biek upright and to hold the rear down.

Light chattter from road vibration shouldn't do anythign to the ranny.... it's the same as holdign a constant throttle at low speeds.

Things that are bad for the tranny - Clutchless shift WITHOUT blipping or lifting the throttle, hitting false neutrals then knocking it inot gear without matching the revs. That's probbly about it. Tranny's are very robust.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 06:13 PM

chock? Is that just a block that keeps the motorcycle from rolling foreward? Wouldn't it make sense to put one if the back then also?

Can you tell I haven't trailered my bike before. I'm planing on getting a trailer soon so I was just taking advantage of this oportunity to ask those that do.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Man with Big Hose

Sportbike: '01 Track only GSXR 600. No more street riding :(
Years Riding: Pick a number between 1 and 10? Opps now 1 and 11
How you found us: Champ91 in 2002

Send a message via AIM to Pugsly Send a message via MSN to Pugsly
well the wheel chock didn't arrive in time for this weekend. so i'm going to have to make do. seems pretty well secured with the tranny in neutral and no brakes applied. I think i may have cranked the front down too much so i'll loosen it up slightly. I have a non-slip flooring in the trailer and the tires don't even move at all, even when i tried to shimmy it to the side a little! I actual had to lift the entire rear tire off the floor to get it to move sideways! I used to be able to lift the ass up a little to get the weight off the tire and it wiould slid side to side ok on the bare wood floor. with this surface down she don't move at all! damn i'm tired

That Boy Just Ain't Right
CCS #414
PARTS411.COM
Lockhart Phillips USA

NESBA #414 Advanced
2001 GSXR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode