Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

I wonder if this guy is alive still

736 views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  SmartDrug 
#1 · (Edited)
Thank god this isnt legal in most states

short version

#2 ·
is it anything more than 9 minutes of lane splitting? Does he do some weird/dangerous shit at some point?

#12 ·
I was waiting for some catastrophic crash or something.

And here comes the inevitable lane splitting debate

I say make it legal and let Darwin do his job. People will eventually get used to it once the novelty wears off. Cars will get used to seeing bike go through, bikers will learn through painful experience not to be too stupid/aggressive about it like our friend in the video, and both cagers and bikers will live in as much harmony as they do now, for better or worse.

And the best part (for you algore fans): as bikers get to their destinations quicker and use roadway space more efficiently, cars can benefit from slightly less congestion and do the same, albeit not nearly as dramatically as the bike. It'll also encourage people to ride more, thereby reducing the aggregate carbon footprint and stopping global warming. (provided algore doesn't 'offset' it with more frivolous sefl-aggrandizement trips in his Gulfstream)

Save the penguins and lane split damnit!

:popcorn:

#3 ·
LMFAO nah ill repost the faster version of it he gets really close at a few points with trucks

#4 ·
:eek I can tell by the vid that wasn't filmed in Chicago, as we have mean vindictive drivers here, who will cut you off or hug the line to cause you to wreck. I have lane split a few times, but I rode much slower then this dude.

#5 ·
Thats the sped up version the 9 min was dry but he was getting very close in the video

#9 ·
I've done some lane splitting in my car on the highway while racing a couple of bikes before. You should of saw the look on their faces, when the guys on bikes thought they could pull a fast one. They lane split and I followed them through a lane split then passed them. :laughing: Good times! Was on my way to the track. :laughing:

#11 ·
OK- I am gonna admit, when I am alone going in and out of chicago, I lane split for miles- you cant get away with doing it as fast as he does in the video around here, cuz cagers are constantly changing lanes- even when the traffic is barely moving. Even at the slower speeds you gotta be very alert.

As far as comments about vindictive drivers, I have been lane splitting for 15 or so years, and I have NEVER had someone purposefully close a gap on me, so if you have people doing that to you, maybe you're going too fast or revving your engine or being an idiot in some other way that pisses them off.

Disclaimer: I do not condone such activities, especially if you haven't been riding for awhile. Remember, you NEVER stop learning on a motorcycle, no matter how many miles you have under your belt - so don't get cocky thats what will hurt you. Assume every object you see is TRYING to hit you.:cheers:

#15 ·
As far as comments about vindictive drivers, I have been lane splitting for 15 or so years, and I have NEVER had someone purposefully close a gap on me, so if you have people doing that to you, maybe you're going too fast or revving your engine or being an idiot in some other way that pisses them off.

Oh it happens, I had a guy see me splitting lanes from his side mirror, he immediately swerved towards the center line, there was no space to pass and cut back in, so I had to stay next to this guy. He stayed an inch away from the bumper of the car in front of him just to keep me from getting back in the lane. So, just to show him I didn't care he was blocking me, I rode one handed with about 10 inches of space on the line next to him for about half a mile turned towards him staring at him for being such an asshole with my left elbow on the tank and my hand on my chin :lmao:, then finally took off when traffic opened up, dick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.