JAVA class - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
How you like me now?

Sportbike: 06GSXR1000 totalled, wife's GS500
Years Riding: since Friday
How you found us: voices in my head told me

Send a message via Yahoo to Bratva5
JAVA class

Has anyone taken a Java class? It's basic to intermideate level class. My question is do you really need Math in order to do well in this class? I'm pretty good with computers, but I hate math, and last time I took math class was many years ago, obviously I don't remember anything advanced. Are there any programmers/java developers on the board?

Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 10:29 PM
[Online]

Sportbike: Multistrada 1100S; CBR600RR
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: CRR

You don't need math to learn programming. A lot of good and great programmers have arts / English literature background. Math is only needed if you need to get into very specific areas like graphics, game development, statistics or science. It is much more important to be able to express yourself, that's why English majors typically do well (if they also possess some IQ and have a logical mind).

However, I would recommend learning a programming on your own, Java or not... Unless it's a university/college, most programming schools suck.

- Stas

Thou shalt not disfigure the soul.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 10:29 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

I took a java class and you don't really need to know any complex math other than the order of operations that the computer will understand.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 10:30 PM

Sportbike: 06 MV Agusta Brutale
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: google

I am a java developer and you don't need math to learn the language. I imagine it doesn't hurt to know it; but there is probably some relationship between math and programming. good luck!!! If you have any OOP experience it isn't that hard to learn.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 10:37 PM
teets

Sportbike: teets
Years Riding: teets
How you found us: teets

Send a message via AIM to Flounder
If you want to know the theory behind the programming language (i.e. Algorithms) then you need to know high level math. Otherwise, you really don't.

teets
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Ninja Kick!

Sportbike: 09 R6 09, RS125
Years Riding: Not enough
How you found us: Spongebob

Anything less than advanced coding is integer or binary mathematics anyway, very easy stuff. Your class is not likely to even mention floating point numbers. No math required, you could train a hamster (or an arts major) to do your work for you.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
How you like me now?

Sportbike: 06GSXR1000 totalled, wife's GS500
Years Riding: since Friday
How you found us: voices in my head told me

Send a message via Yahoo to Bratva5
Thanks for advise guys

Russ
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:03 AM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

It's much more important to have the skills to decompose a problem into a set of solutions. This has very little to do with the programming language.

Dave
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:10 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracker View Post
You don't need math to learn programming. A lot of good and great programmers have arts / English literature background. Math is only needed if you need to get into very specific areas like graphics, game development, statistics or science. It is much more important to be able to express yourself, that's why English majors typically do well (if they also possess some IQ and have a logical mind).

However, I would recommend learning a programming on your own, Java or not... Unless it's a university/college, most programming schools suck.
That certainly explains why a lot of programs today are very inefficient (bloated).

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:30 AM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratva5 View Post
Has anyone taken a Java class? It's basic to intermideate level class. My question is do you really need Math in order to do well in this class? I'm pretty good with computers, but I hate math, and last time I took math class was many years ago, obviously I don't remember anything advanced. Are there any programmers/java developers on the board?
You have to be able to count. You have to know your conditional operators like <, >, etc. Other than that, it's just puzzle work.

They will have you create programs that can calculate bank interest and stuff like that. The mathmatical calulation will be given to you. Only thing you need to do it get the values from the keystroke, send it to a module where you will have the mathmatical calculation coded, have it return the value and output it to the screen.

Any mathmatical formulas will be given to you in the program spec created by the teacher. While the thought processes used or developed in a math class could prove useful and make things easier, there is little actual math in an intro/intermediate Java class.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..

Last edited by whiteSeatEnvy; 01-20-2008 at 02:38 AM.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 03:55 AM
The Benchwarmer

Sportbike: Ninja
Years Riding: Long
How you found us: Dong

ive never made the connection between math and programming.

i understand that they make it seem like you need to, cause of the "critical thinking" such as putting shit in order, i need to do this before i can do that,... but thats about it when it comes to programming. its problem solving, being able to trace where shit goes and manipulate the data to get your desired output. if you learn the language/syntax, youll be able to put code together like nothin. whether it works efficiently, and is scalable etc etc, well thats a different story.

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 04:08 AM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
ive never made the connection between math and programming.

i understand that they make it seem like you need to, cause of the "critical thinking" such as putting shit in order, i need to do this before i can do that,... but thats about it when it comes to programming. its problem solving, being able to trace where shit goes and manipulate the data to get your desired output. if you learn the language/syntax, youll be able to put code together like nothin. whether it works efficiently, and is scalable etc etc, well thats a different story.
That's where the math comes in....and understanding the 'cost' of each line of code that you write. Cost = how long does this specific thing take to execute?

Our rule of thumb is always: Now that you have a design, add 6 0's to the end of your data and/or volumes of data. Does your design still work or act efficiently?

Loops and repetitive things KILL you when you are inefficient.

Example:

Using a function that takes a second longer to run than another one may not seem like much when you are doing a few things. Do 10,000 such things (as benign as processing a file with 10,000 data elements) and you have just now added about 2.7 hours to your run time

Everyone Exaggerates

Last edited by Arch; 01-20-2008 at 04:11 AM.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
Realtime embedded systems are a little trickier than that. In any case, you don't need advanced mathmatics to have a basic understanding of algorithms and optimization.

Dave
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 10:51 AM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

It never made sense to me why the computer science degrees required a whole shit load of calculus classes.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzx9r View Post
It never made sense to me why the computer science degrees required a whole shit load of calculus classes.
They do if you're building huge distributed database systems, telecom network management systems, E911 services, etc. Most people are not.

Dave
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
That's where the math comes in....and understanding the 'cost' of each line of code that you write. Cost = how long does this specific thing take to execute?

Our rule of thumb is always: Now that you have a design, add 6 0's to the end of your data and/or volumes of data. Does your design still work or act efficiently?

Example:

Using a function that takes a second longer to run than another one may not seem like much when you are doing a few things. Do 10,000 such things (as benign as processing a file with 10,000 data elements) and you have just now added about 2.7 hours to your run time
They only teach that in the old programming books. Creating code that gets the job done in fewer lines and uses less processing time. Today, you can learn visual basic and call yourself a programmer. And, you dont have to worry about bad coding because you can always get a faster processor to speed it up.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87nationalbuick View Post
They only teach that in the old programming books. Creating code that gets the job done in fewer lines and uses less processing time. Today, you can learn visual basic and call yourself a programmer. And, you dont have to worry about bad coding because you can always get a faster processor to speed it up.
That's like buying a set of tools from K-Mart and calling yourself a mechanic.

Also like buying a blue and white gixxer and sitting at SOW and calling yourself a rider.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
That's like buying a set of tools from K-Mart and calling yourself a mechanic.

Also like buying a blue and white gixxer and sitting at SOW and calling yourself a rider.
Is that before or after they went to Craftsman.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Is that before or after they went to Craftsman.
Ah yes, the label on the tool makes a newbie a pro.

I also love watching people brag about spending $400 on a driver and watching them whack the ball 100 yards or continually slice the shit out of it.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:09 PM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

Quote:
Ah yes, the label on the tool makes a newbie a pro.

I also love watching people brag about spending $400 on a driver and watching them whack the ball 100 yards or continually slice the shit out of it.
lol but it's got a larger sweet spot!

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:18 PM
The Benchwarmer

Sportbike: Ninja
Years Riding: Long
How you found us: Dong

or people that get frontpage or dreamweaver, fire up a template they download off a website and call themselves web designers.

but hey, people still pay them for their code. which is good for me because then it takes longer to fix and redesign all their code when the site gets handed to me later on down the road when they go to a new designer/company. cause more time = more money.

so thanks

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

Quote:

Example:

Therein lies the problem with many of the sql code generator programs of today like Peoplesoft or Siebel systems. Nothing beats a good programmer, with the skill that Dave mentioned earlier, to deconstruct a problem and the knowledge of the capabilities of the data delivery (ie. database) systems supporting the code.

Note: Take what I say with a grain of salt. I now drive a truck for a living. But, I do stay in a LOT of Holiday Inn Express's.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974

Last edited by SloRoll; 01-20-2008 at 02:26 PM.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
And, you dont have to worry about bad coding because you can always get a faster processor to speed it up.
Try that in embedded systems where size, cost, power budget, heat, etc. are at play. The fact that you can still get a computer science degree being taught that processing power and memory are free is baffling. Equally strange is those who try to prove their mental prowess optimizing code that runs for 10ms every 10 minutes.

Proper behavior is paramount, but you cannot ignore real-world constrains. (Unless you work at Microsoft)

Dave
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoll View Post
Note: Take what I say with a grain of salt. I now drive a truck for a living. But, I do stay in a LOT of Holiday Inn Express's.
At least you know when your job is finished!

Dave
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusaDave View Post
Try that in embedded systems where size, cost, power budget, heat, etc. are at play. The fact that you can still get a computer science degree being taught that processing power and memory are free is baffling. Equally strange is those who try to prove their mental prowess optimizing code that runs for 10ms every 10 minutes.

Proper behavior is paramount, but you cannot ignore real-world constrains. (Unless you work at Microsoft)
Thats what they are teaching in school these days. They took the "how to program the correct way" out of the curriculum. Your also lucky if they even teach Assembler.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusaDave View Post

Now, make that 10ms savings in a routine that gets execute multiple times for every line of an inbound email message when your systems are taking in around 70 million messages a day.. It adds up both in speed and the number of machines required to do that work. That can translate into millions of dollars worth of savings (or more) over time for something stupidly simple. (not to mention power, climate control, spare parts, etc).

Doesn't seem like a 'big deal' on a small scale, but it makes all the difference in the world on a larger scale.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Ninja Kick!

Sportbike: 09 R6 09, RS125
Years Riding: Not enough
How you found us: Spongebob

Actually, in the web developer world, the only optimizations which truly matter are database access. You can always add more web servers but your database limitations are the only problem with achieving linear scaling.
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Irony helps us play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Actually, in the web developer world, the only optimizations which truly matter are database access. You can always add more web servers but your database limitations are the only problem with achieving linear scaling.
This assumes that each machine itself is already giving you what it is capable of. Circle back to software design

Your httpd software needs to be efficient, your PHP layer interfaces need to be efficient, etc.

Plugging together someone else's stuff might get the job done, but it's not the most effective or cost effective.

Everyone Exaggerates

post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 11:16 PM
[Online]

Quote:
That certainly explains why a lot of programs today are very inefficient (bloated).
Uhm... no. Good English is almost universally laconic and precise, so a good English major should write good code .

Note: I do have quite a math background myself as my second university major was physics. But I also have to admit that I never had a use for advanced math during all the years I spent writing software for business.

- Stas

post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 11:23 PM
[Online]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
No math required, you could train a hamster (or an arts major) to do your work for you.
I hope you're joking... An attitude like that is exactly the reason *most* business software is so shitty. Business systems are trivial from the scientific standpoint: normally you're just getting a tabular (relational) or hierarchical (XML) data from one source (user or another system), validate it and store it to another location (file, database, another system). That's it, right? However, creating the code performs well, is maintainable and has low defect rate AND doing it quickly - it's not that easy. For some reason, though, nobody understands/admits that developing business software is hard. So they put dummies to do the job and they end up with a horrible mess that is unmaintainable, incredibly slow, buggy, has repulsive UI, doesn't do what it's supposed to do and... it is over budget.

- Stas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode