Does anyone get sick at work - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone get sick at work

Besides getting sick from germs. Anyone in the computer field feel sick when working in a room filled with computers? Is it the plastics that are "gassing" or silicone dust in the air, or the dust from the fans circulating in the room?

Or another example which I share with someone. When you enter your work, you fill sick. Something with the building is causing it. Tiles, type of paint ??

Anyone experience the same thing, or knows way to secretly test your work for such contaminates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:52 AM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

Every once in a while, especially when I am printing heavily. The smell of toner makes me sick after a while .

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:19 AM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Only when I drink the base cleaner.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:23 AM
^That's me

Sportbike: K4 GSXR 750 & K4 RMZ 250 & 2000 CR 250
Years Riding: 7 short years
How you found us: gixxer.com

Send a message via AIM to down_on_monday
I worked a desk job for four years. Now if I enter a large room with a bunch of computers, that smell of plastic, stale air, and the sounds of consistent typing makes me feel sick. Probably because I hated the job with a passion. But no, I never felt sick when I was at work...unless I ate from the wheel of death (vending machine that contained hot pockets, tuna sandwiches, etc...)

2000 Honda CR250R. 2004 Suzuki GSXR 750.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:23 AM
Ninja Kick!

Sportbike: 09 R6 09, RS125
Years Riding: Not enough
How you found us: Spongebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87nationalbuick View Post
Besides getting sick from germs. Anyone in the computer field feel sick when working in a room filled with computers? Is it the plastics that are "gassing" or silicone dust in the air, or the dust from the fans circulating in the room?

Or another example which I share with someone. When you enter your work, you fill sick. Something with the building is causing it. Tiles, type of paint ??

Anyone experience the same thing, or knows way to secretly test your work for such contaminates.
At a few places I've had the air conditioning screw with me a little. When there a lot of computers in a room, most of which are semi-new, and they are putting out quite a lot of heat so the air conditioning is working in overdrive I tend to find the smell over the computers plus the hot and cold patches of air all over the room can be quite unpleasant. I could see myself possibly feeling sick if I had to spend most of my days working in a datacenter all day.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:47 AM
Cruising through life

Sportbike: '11 Harley VRSCF
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: searched under "degenerates"

This is why I love having freedom to drive/walk around on my job. I would go nuts sitting in a cubicle all day. I share cars with the other co-workers and all I can say about some of their hygiene habits is thank god for Lysol wipes.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 06:28 AM

Sportbike: 2001 zx6
How you found us: Search

Send a message via AIM to ThirdgenTa
I get sick from being outside in this cold for 12 hours a day.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 07:40 AM
Illegitimi non Carborundu

Sportbike: That Bike
Years Riding: That Long
How you found us: Google Search for "sexy."

Send a message via AIM to Paul Send a message via MSN to Paul Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
Several years ago I got taken to the hospital after working in the Chase Bank datacenter near LA for a week. Something hit me HARD and I was out of commission for two days - couldn't eat at all. Never happened since then.

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
2013 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special Owner
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 08:14 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBD View Post
Every once in a while, especially when I am printing heavily. The smell of toner makes me sick after a while .
There was an article that someone here at my work sent me...they were in a tizzy because they said that toner would make you ill if you were printing a lot in a small room.

You may want to google that, and sue your work.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 08:18 AM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
My desk shakes rattles and rolls all day from the 800 ton machine when it runs. IF the CNC machine runs a certain part all day, I get nauseas by the end of the day from the constant noise and ear plugs at the desk.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 08:32 AM

Sportbike: 91 hawkgt & 05 rc51
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: fellow rider mvrc51

i think its because the building i work in is from the 60s and the air system is original and im not sure if they change air filters often enough.

but i get an alergice reaction from work some times
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 08:45 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

How long is your drive to work? The reason I ask is that you might be getting ill from prolonged carbon monoxide exposure in your car from an exhaust leak or something, (especially in the winter when all your windows are up) and as you are introduced to clean air your body is adjusting- just a thought. Its dangerous and eventually your blood wont be able to carry oxygen.

I ask because it happened to me years ago, and didnt know why until I had my blood tested...........went on for weeks...........its worth checking out since co2 mitigation by your body is a lengthy process.............I was having the same symptoms.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 11:06 AM

Sportbike: RC31
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: it's a small world afterall

I've wondered the same thing. I've been interested in testing the air quality at work as well. We have a lot of space - 20sq. ft. for 33 people, much of it is two open stories. It's all fancy interior and we have "glorified cubicles". No movable carpet walls. There's three kitchens, workout area, movie theater, a bar, blah blah blah.

The owners have designed a really beautiful space, but I've wondered plenty of times in the 6 years that I've worked here if the space is "healthy". It's a light industrial warehouse building, and there are no windows. Any time it's nice out and we try opening a door to let air in we get bitched at for screwing up the thermostats. The heating/cooling here is a NIGHTMARE - It'll be 80 degrees up in the owners office while I'm freezing my ass off in a 60 degree room with a cold breeze blowing down on me.

Anyway, what got me started wondering is that for the longest time, none of the women who worked here could get pregnant. I'm sure it was coincidence, but it made me wonder. We grew a bunch in the past couple years and since then, a ton of babies have happened, but I do feel sick all through winter. I never get the flu or anything really bad, but I just generally feel like shit. Tired, headachey and sniffly. No sunlight, no fresh air. I was my happiest and healthiest when I worked from home. I really want to get a daylight lamp, but don't want to spend the $200 for a good one.

Swift Molly's Motor Circus
Michelin Woodcraft Armour Bodies Spyder Leatherworks STT STG

UNAPOLOGETIC FAN OF THINGS THAT ARE OLD AND SLOW
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 11:11 AM

I may catch pneumonia in my office. It was 60 deg inside when I got in the office. It's now about 65.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
There was an article that someone here at my work sent me...they were in a tizzy because they said that toner would make you ill if you were printing a lot in a small room.

You may want to google that, and sue your work.
Note to self: idea for future class action

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Slum Overlord

Sportbike: 03 GSXR 1000, 02 RM250, 03 TTR125L
Years Riding: considerable time
How you found us: install job

The large network printers produce Ozone gas as they print large quanities. The manufactures of these printers call for a certain level of fresh air ventilation to mitigate this off-gassing. I use to oversee the build-out of new office space and never did facilities give it a passing thought, even after I pointed out the printers space requirements in the manual.
BTW, ozone gas is a corrosive gas that is a lung irritant.
Another thing that gets people is being under fluorescent fixtures all day. Look it up on Google, it's been a known problem for a long time, but damn are they energy efficient.

the uncarved stone
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Lick Me

Sportbike: '01 sv650s, CRF 70
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: from moparboyy

Send a message via AIM to HeavyHand
sick building syndrome is a very common problem.
with computer rooms you have a constant battle with a large amount of AC needed and humidification that is need to keep the static down. this can lead to several problems. if the duct work is lined on the inside that can collect moisture form condensation or the humidifiers and casue mold and a bunch of other nasties to be constantly reciriculated. as stated before the lack of fresh outdoor air can lead to problems. it costs lots of money to cool and condition outside air so it can get reduced or eliminated leading to lots of potental health and comfort problems.

-nick
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Every motor needs a turbo

Sportbike: Had a Liquid Silver R1
Years Riding: longer than paved roads were common
How you found us: fellow rider

Quote:

i feel like crap at work all the time. we have leaks in our ceiling and theres always water dripping from somewhere. luckily i got to a place where it doesnt get on me at all. but theres a cube that gets drenched. as a joke, someone put a name tag on it that says "oxide research lab" lol. but me n my secretary believe that theres a lot of mold around here. she has problems too along with a few others. feeling drained...scratchy voice...coughing...etc. i smoke so i always related it to that. but she doesnt smoke and has the same problems as me. i always noticed im better by the end of a weekend (she notices the same)...then it comes back when i go back to work. acutally when i was off for 3 weeks recovering from my accident i was 100% fine. and i was bored as fuck...smoking more than i normally smoke. my voice was better...no coughing. it came back within 2 days of being back.

we have let it be known that we think its a problem...but havent really pressed the issue.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

I don't know about sick at work, but I sure am sick of work.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 12:34 PM
I wok!

Sportbike: 2006 felt f65 and a 07 STI
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: wtf is this shit...

nope ocd hand washing while at work ftw~
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 12:37 PM
The Benchwarmer

Sportbike: Ninja
Years Riding: Long
How you found us: Dong

i feel shitty at work hearing this kid with a 40 song play list play the same shit all day long mon-fri, 9-5, since i started working here in january of 07. so a year now. i told him to get more music (id like it if he didnt play any music) and he never does and i cant wear headphones at work. i play my ipod through a shitty lil $10 speaker set but his music drowns mine out. and its obnoxious hearing two songs playing at the same time.

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 12:53 PM

Sportbike: 91 hawkgt & 05 rc51
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: fellow rider mvrc51

another simple thing to look into is the refreash rate of your monitor if you like the old CRT's like my self. they can give you head aches
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
i feel shitty at work hearing this kid with a 40 song play list play the same shit all day long mon-fri, 9-5, since i started working here in january of 07. so a year now. i told him to get more music (id like it if he didnt play any music) and he never does and i cant wear headphones at work. i play my ipod through a shitty lil $10 speaker set but his music drowns mine out. and its obnoxious hearing two songs playing at the same time.
Is it this song.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Ninja Kick!

Sportbike: 09 R6 09, RS125
Years Riding: Not enough
How you found us: Spongebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
I suggest buying some new speakers to save yourself the horror. Also introduce him to www.di.fm and get some internet radio happening
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 01:13 PM

Sportbike: an invisible one
Years Riding: Wifes been riding me for years
How you found us: KeyHole

Quote:
Is it this song.
GOD DAMIT. now I'm sick from watching that crap thanks jerky!

If my calculations are correct, this will create ice... OH NO, KILLER MUSTARD GAS!
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 01:14 PM
The Benchwarmer

Sportbike: Ninja
Years Riding: Long
How you found us: Dong

haha no but ill superman all those hoes

off the top of my head

the doors, - touch me & light my fire, earth wind & fire, michael jackson, gnarles barkley - crazy (i fucking hate this song), stairway to heaven, free bird, lupe fiasco, system of a down - byob

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 01:15 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Is it this song.
AH!! What a train wreck.

I don't get sick at work. I guess I'm lucky.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
I used to constantly have a minor sore throat at work until I put tape over the duct that was blowing air directly at me when I'm sitting at my desk.

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Every motor needs a turbo

Sportbike: Had a Liquid Silver R1
Years Riding: longer than paved roads were common
How you found us: fellow rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
I used to constantly have a minor sore throat at work until I put tape over the duct that was blowing air directly at me when I'm sitting at my desk.
same here. i have a vent right above my desk. i brought in a small air purifier one time just to prove the air quality. it filled up real fast. i set the filter element on my bosses desk and said this is what we're breathing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode