Where to go? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Where to go?

Hey guys, well I finally got my license last monday, so I've ridden 220 miles in the last 2 days, pretty much everywhere. Today is raining and I'm super pissed. I need to be out there. I absolutely love riding.

Anyway, pretty much all my riding has been straight line thus far, with the exception of (XXEDITED BY ODYSSEYSXX). So needless to say my chicken strip on the rear has grown.

I was wondering what good local twisites there are (semi twisty maybe?). I'm not looking to race on them, just a nice road to cruise to develop some turning skills. Get used to the bike and it's turning capabilites.

Thanks
Peter

Last edited by Odysseys; 05-14-2003 at 02:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 01:58 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

Im guessing you shouldnt be naming specific roads on here.

Im quite sure you wont be getting any responses naming roads either. Hook up on some group rides to find the nicer roads and routes

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 02:01 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

sorry dude...we dont name roads in the open...(not to mention i cant name them all anyway..just know where theres a ton locally)
best thing to do is go on group rides, to find other peoples routes, then go back and do what ever ya wanna do.

we dont name roads cause that isnt good for anyone or yourself when your broadcasting your gonna be this or that on a road in a town...(kinda makes them know your coming) if your gonna screw off or rien our rides we go on...etc.

hope ya get the point.

just go out and learn and have some fun riding..is what is mostly important right now with a new rider.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Re: Where to go?

Quote:
Originally posted by Indyxc1
Hey guys, well I finally got my license last monday, so I've ridden 220 miles in the last 2 days, pretty much everywhere.
Slow and steady wins the race. Don't go on a search for twisties if you are just learning, initially your confidence level will rise quite quickly but you have yet to master the basics which keep you from making wrong decisions in scarey situations. Take it easy and enjoy the ride, measuring chicken strips is not a indicator of rider skill. And welcome to the fold.

Chris
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 02:09 PM
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

Every street has a corner at both ends Practice every corner you take. Hit proper turn in points. Look through the corner. Roll on the throttle as you turn. If these things become second nature to you then add speed (at the track ) Then you don't have to relearn to get rid of your mistakes( like me )

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 02:15 PM

Just a thought but shouldnt someone make an edit to the original post of the above mentioned street??? I am not sure if I could even do that since I am not a moderator but I think the name of that street should be edited out as opposed to just talking about it. Just my .02
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Well, I see some of the point in not naming roads. But who cares if they know if I'm coming, and not doing anything illegal. This is America after all.

From my car *group* experiences, I hate driving/ or riding with most of the local people, as everyone is a complete jackass, pulling wheelies, going 120 mph + all the time. Yesterday, I was on 94, and 3 guys pulled up to me (no helmets, t shirts flapping all over), and then took off weaving through traffic at 100+. No thanks.

This board seems to house everyone decent, but that's like 50 people. Right now I'm looking to ride solo at my own rate, without the risk of taking someone else down if I go down.

I guess I'll just have to unleash my map, and start exploring.

If anyone wants to PM some places that would be cool.

Thanks
Peter
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 02:17 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

done.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 02:21 PM

Thank you... Carry on.....

Well I have to give you credit for having the intelligence to want to ride on your own till you are comforatble to ride with others. However, if you want to learn how to ride in a group properly and also be in a riding group that takes the rules of the road somewhat seriously then take a ride with us. YOu wont find us to be much of a stuntin group since safety is a priority. Hope to see you at bike night soon.

PS Nice choice in bike
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 02:40 PM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

This may sound stupid but if you want to work on "twisty's" and you are in learning, try a Mall parking lot. Serious here; pratice when they are closed by utilizing stripes poles what ever. Go and practice tight turns and slow speed u-turns. Trust me if you learn to do TIGHT ass uturns you will get better. Ken & Chris had me almost sitting on the side of a bike doing do-nuts. That little exercise (in a parking lot) boosted my confidence in actually leaning the bike.

Find your own twisty's and sweepers by riding. You will gain experience and miles under your belt as well. Maybe you will stumble upon the "Mother Lode" of twisty's and then report em back to us!

Good luck and shiny side up young Jedi!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 03:37 PM

Sportbike: 2004 GSX-R 750 Track Bike
Years Riding: 12 years
How you found us: Been on the forum since it was part of SBN

Two Words, "Track Day".

NESBA #510 (I)
Wide Open Till Ya See God, Then Brake
Viva La Figa!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 05:14 PM

Roach, Man I have seen enough avatars on this site but I truely love yours. That must have been a blast to take your bike that far over when you dove into a corner on a race or track days. Great pic man.... If I were you, I would frame that. Great coloring also with the sunset.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 07:53 PM

Sportbike: 2004 GSX-R 750 Track Bike
Years Riding: 12 years
How you found us: Been on the forum since it was part of SBN

I only wish I could say that was me. Maybe someday. My race career is only starting. The picture is actually Akira Yanagawa on the Kawasaki World Superbike.

NESBA #510 (I)
Wide Open Till Ya See God, Then Brake
Viva La Figa!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode