Who's got a English Bulldog? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: an invisible one
Years Riding: Wifes been riding me for years
How you found us: KeyHole

Who's got a English Bulldog?

The wife and I are looking to get a English Bulldog. Does any one have one and how do you like them. I already know about the health problems how lazy they are and that good stuff. Would like your opinions.
Thanks

If my calculations are correct, this will create ice... OH NO, KILLER MUSTARD GAS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:07 AM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

Justin black954 has one also Maosin on the board has one
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Falcon Trainer

Sportbike: 2012 Ducati 848 Evo, 2012 HD Softail Deluxe
Years Riding: Lots of years....
How you found us: ??

Send a message via AIM to BusaGirl Send a message via Skype™ to BusaGirl
Well....

I am a proud owner of an English Bulldog, and I have a few tips for you.

1. If you want this breed and you want a healthy dog, be prepared to spend a LOT of money for the dog to get one from a good family line and from a good breeder!

2. There are some great books about the breed, but a good breeder will always be available to answer questions and will be truly concerned about the family the dog is placed with, so don't get offended if they ask a lot of probing questions about your lifestyle.

3. Laziness is actually a misconception to a point. They are active dogs, and very much need exercise like any breed, but they are by no means "run and swimming" dogs. They are great "chill out" dogs once they have had a nice walk.

4. They are NOT outdoor dogs, they don't take well to drastic temperatures, especially warm temperatures. You need an AC's our cool house in the summertime.

Aside from those warnings, they are WONDERFUL pets. If you get a good tempered one with a good disposition, they are the cutest, funniest little things! I love my girl!

Busa /Ducati/HDGirl
NESBA #717

XBOX Live: JustPlatinum
post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:15 AM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
They are very high maintenance, eat a lot and territorial. The folds of their skin need to be cleaned at least once a day or they stink. They have small bladders so they need to go out to pee more often. They love to eat. My bulldog will not only eat his food but will stop eating from his bowl, try and eat what my rott doesn't finish and then come back to eat his food. They will eat until the pop if given the chance.

They are also very needy. They can't sleep alone. My bulldog will follow me everywhere and try and spoon me after I fall asleep. Food drives them like crack. I can't leave food on the dinner table. The focker finds a way to push chairs out and uses it to climb on the dinner table to get to the food. They shed a lot too. Short hairs makes them susceptible to the cold. They also have no fear. My bulldog tries to pick a fight with my 120+lb rott all the time. Loses and then comes back for more. Stubborn as a mule!

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Falcon Trainer

Mao.... interesting perspective. Is yours male?

I have a female, and she is REALLY finicky about her food, most of the time she eats her food, but there are times when she requires me to mix the canned food with the kibble... most of the time she just gets kibble with some water...

I agree about the shedding! It's a bitch to keep the house clean with the her, since shedding is a year-round event with the dogs.

ALSO... you mentioned it, but grooming is really important with this breed. My girl's nails grow like weeds, and she needs her's trimmed almost twice a week, at least once.

Like I said... they are awesome! My Moxie is my second Bullie I've had, and I couldn't imagine a better breed, but yes... High-Maintenance..... and needy...

Busa /Ducati/HDGirl
NESBA #717

post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maoisn View Post
They have small bladders so they need to go out to pee more often.
What is the potty break time frame. Say I leave to work a 9 and home by 5:30. Is that pushing it.

If my calculations are correct, this will create ice... OH NO, KILLER MUSTARD GAS!
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:38 AM
CUBS fan, not a SOX hater

Sportbike: F3
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: AJCrowley/NESBA

Send a message via Yahoo to JackPot
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusaGirl View Post

I have a female, and she is REALLY finicky about her food, most of the time she eats her food, but there are times when she requires me to mix the canned food with the kibble... most of the time she just gets kibble with some water...

I agree about the shedding! It's a bitch to keep the house clean with the her, since shedding is a year-round event with the dogs.

ALSO... you mentioned it, but grooming is really important with this breed. My girl's nails grow like weeds, and she needs her's trimmed almost twice a week, at least once.

Like I said... they are awesome! My Moxie is my second Bullie I've had, and I couldn't imagine a better breed, but yes... High-Maintenance..... and needy...
Food drive tends to be inherit, so that could be why she is a bit picky. My champion Dobe bitch Lola is SUPER picky and has always been a bad eater. to keep her in a show weight was horrible, on the othr hand, all my other dogs have been cows. Different pedigrees, but raised exactly the same way.

Nicole
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:40 AM
CRF50 Squid

Quote:

My dogs are both males so they are always trying to one up each other. Yeah grooming is a daily thing as well. Brushing his fur once a day keeps the shedding down some. My bulldog is not too finicky with his food. He'll eat it dry if it's all he has. It's just that he doesn't know when to stop eating.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:41 AM
CUBS fan, not a SOX hater

Sportbike: F3
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: AJCrowley/NESBA

Send a message via Yahoo to JackPot
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStaRR View Post
The wife and I are looking to get a English Bulldog. Does any one have one and how do you like them. I already know about the health problems how lazy they are and that good stuff. Would like your opinions.
Thanks
This is good timing as the International Kennel Club Dog Show will be at McCormick place the last weekend in Feb. The top breeders and dogs from all over the country will be there....it's a great place to meet several bulldog breeders and get a chance to interact with the dogs.

I will be there all 4 days showing the dobe puppy.

Nicole
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:46 AM
CRF50 Squid

Quote:
What is the potty break time frame. Say I leave to work a 9 and home by 5:30. Is that pushing it.
I can only speak for my bulldog, my first one ever, and that is pushing it. I take him out at around 8am. He has to go out again around 1pm or so. He will bark and tap at my leg until he gets to go out. I then have to take him out again around 7pm. And before I go to bed, I take him out again just to be safe. And even then, sometimes he has to go out in the middle of the night. He has never pooped or peed in the house as he lets you know when he has to go out. Needless to say, I have to get dog sitters. Usually my Mom or my brother helps out.

They are also messy eaters and messy drinkers. OMG! If he drinks water, he will leave a 5 feet long trail of water drops. Whomever breded this dog was smoking some good drugs.

post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:49 AM
CRF50 Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackPot View Post
Food drive tends to be inherit, so that could be why she is a bit picky. My champion Dobe bitch Lola is SUPER picky and has always been a bad eater. to keep her in a show weight was horrible, on the othr hand, all my other dogs have been cows. Different pedigrees, but raised exactly the same way.

Nicole
That's how my rott is. His breeder raised his lineage on dog food mixed with human food. So my rott won't eat unless I mix some form of broth/meat into his dry dog food. Besides that, he is the best dog ever. Independent, loyal, intelligent, guardian, good with kids and low maintenance. No more bulldogs for Maoisn.

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Busagirl.. What is your time frame with the bathroom breaks. My retreiver was ok with a 8hr day with out me there. I don't want to torture the dog by making him hold it

post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Falcon Trainer

My dog goes out in the morning around 7:15am then is in her kennel until either I get home or the sitter gets home around 6pm. She does great, but she doesn't drink a lot all day, just one bowl of water in her kennel.

BUT.. she's a year old now, and can do it... it was a nightmare to get her trained. Poopy all over!!!!

Busa /Ducati/HDGirl
NESBA #717

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:09 PM
CRF50 Squid

I should add that I don't cage my dogs and they get all the water they want to drink. Which is why the bulldog has to pee so often. I don't believe in depriving my dogs of the freedom to roam and the freedom to drink water.

Overall English Bulldogs really are cool dogs. Like Ducatis they require special needs and really is intended for posing. My friend Mike said it best. "The only reason to own an English Bulldog is to show the world how big your cock is."

post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I should add that I don't cage my dogs and they get all the water they want to drink. Which is why the bulldog has to pee so often. I don't believe in depriving my dogs of the freedom to roam and the freedom to drink water.

Overall English Bulldogs really are cool dogs. Like Ducatis they require special needs and really is intended for posing. My friend Mike said it best. "The only reason to own an English Bulldog is to show the world how big your cock is."
My wife is the one who talked me in to this breed .are you saying my wife has a big cock?? J/k. After research and meeting some. I found out that the dog is just like me lazy, smelly they fart and drool.

post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:23 PM
CRF50 Squid

All true. And they snore too. They are also locksmiths and demolitions experts. I use to have a dog fence to keep the dogs in the back when guests stop by. What worked on the rott for years doesn't work on the bulldog. He not only knocks down the fence but taught the rott how to do it.

post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Falcon Trainer

Quote:
Nothing wrong with caging a dog during the day when people aren't around. My dog would try to eat things that would end up hurting her. If I had a different house, I would leave her out, but the way things are currently set-up, it's for her own health...

The freedom to drink? One bowl in her kennel when I'm not around isn't making her famished!

To each their own on how you raise them. Just be good and loving to your new baby if you get one.....

... and it has nothing to do with cock size... I'm female, and I love my bullie... no man in my life to worry about it.

Busa /Ducati/HDGirl
NESBA #717

post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Well thanks for the input. I think I'm sold. I will post up in a few weeks or so when I find the right one and post with pics.

post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:42 PM
CRF50 Squid

I agree with you there. It's for the dog's own good sometimes. It depends on how the dog is raised and the owner's lifestyle. I never leave my dogs alone. A sitter is always there when I'm not. I spoil them too much.

post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

I grew up with a English bulldog and agree with all the previous posts.

That being said, Kim and I currently have an Olde English Bulldog. Half English and Half American Bulldog. Same temperament and other bulldog qualities without all the health issues.

IMG_0612.JPG

Track Junkie #79
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Falcon Trainer

Quote:
I agree with you there. It's for the dog's own good sometimes. It depends on how the dog is raised and the owner's lifestyle. I never leave my dogs alone. A sitter is always there when I'm not. I spoil them too much.
OMG! You're not kidding!!!

Don't let your dog talk to my dog... I don't want mine to get any ideas.... she's already prissy enough!

Busa /Ducati/HDGirl
NESBA #717

post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 06:39 PM

Sportbike: MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR, KTM 525EXC w/540 big bore
Years Riding: 17
How you found us: at strats on wensday night

I for the most part agree with everyones comments. I have 2, one male and one female. First I will say they are the best breed of dog i've ever had, even with the health problems. These dogs have more personality than most humans!
This is what I can tell you.
If you keep an eye on their weight, they don't eat too much. Only 2-2 1/2 cups a day.
Mine are kennel trained and have no problem going 10-12 hours without going out, though this is an extreme and they usually get let out in 6-8 hours.
They absolutely LOVE their kennels and I would suggest it to anybody IF you do not use it as a punnishment, but as their own private space. They go into their kennels at will when i'm at home.
Yes, you must clean their wrinkles once a day and cut their nails often.
As far as hyper, my female is a spaz and the male is "lazy" as most would say. But his brother is hyper, so I think it's the luck of the draw.
You MUST get one from a good AKC breeder or you will have more problems than the normal ones.
They don't live that long, 7-10 years, which is alot for the $1,500-4,000 investment.
Their shit is the most foul smelling in the land, even though i've tried many different foods. I have to feed them each a different food that works for them.
They shed ALOT, which most people wouldn't expect.
EVERYBODY falls in love with them after first meeting them.
That's all I can think of right now. Goodluck with your search, cause new litters are hard to come by. If you would like, you can come over and meet my dogs, i'm sure it will close the deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cuties.jpg (45.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg augzoe3.JPG (45.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg augzoe1.JPG (51.5 KB, 17 views)
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Falcon Trainer

You are awesome Black954.... by far... perfect response!

+rep!!!!

Busa /Ducati/HDGirl
NESBA #717

post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:16 PM

Sportbike: 08 R6, 06 giggy6(trackbike),04 ZX10R,93 NSR250 ,91 TZR250 SP
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: CL

Cute bulldogs.
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:20 PM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

Quick question for you guys. Do your dogs scratch up your hardwood floors??
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
Quick question for you guys. Do your dogs scratch up your hardwood floors??
Mine don't, but I keep up on their nails.
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
You are awesome Black954.... by far... perfect response!

+rep!!!!
Thankyou. I'm a pasionate person and these dogs are my life outside of motorcycles.
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:28 PM
CRF50 Squid

Black954, I'm curious as to what type of personality your bulldogs have. Mine is the clingy needy possessive type. When I am at my desk on the computer, he likes to sleep under the desk right at my feet. He follows me everywhere I go. He is very groggy in the mornings. Won't play with any toys unless my rott plays with a toy and then he tries to take it from the rott. Loses a fight and keeps coming back for more. Overall a great dog just not as independent as my rott.

post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:31 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

Quote:
Well thanks for the input. I think I'm sold. I will post up in a few weeks or so when I find the right one and post with pics.
you mean after readin this thread you are sold on getting one? I read it and thought HOLY SHIT why do these people put up with a messy, farty, territorial, high maintanance, eat a lt, poopy, drooling,....,.....,.....,....

Id RUN the other direction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Black954, I'm curious as to what type of personality your bulldogs have. Mine is the clingy needy possessive type. When I am at my desk on the computer, he likes to sleep under the desk right at my feet. He follows me everywhere I go. He is very groggy in the mornings. Won't play with any toys unless my rott plays with a toy and then he tries to take it from the rott. Loses a fight and keeps coming back for more. Overall a great dog just not as independent as my rott.
I wouldn't say they aren't possessive at all. Zoe loves her tennis ball and that is the only thing she is possessive of. Auggie is as about as easy going as an animal gets. He sleeps 18 hours a day and then plays and eat the rest. He adores me and follows me everywhere and likes to sleep by my feet. He will let me cut his nails, bathe him, clean his wrinkles without any fight. Zoe is a little more difficult to groom, but not bad at all. They are both groggy in the morning and Auggie needs some "encouragement" to go outside in the morning. Neither one is very independent. About the biggest similarity between them is they both LOVE car rides. When I open the front door, they both sprint to my truck and circle it waiting to get in, then they fall asleep?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode