Did your parents ride? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

Did your parents ride?

If your parents rode motorcycles what is the thing they taught you about riding that most sticks out in your mind? I have a seven year old.

Taborn

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 12:07 AM

even on a bicycle I was taught not ot play on busy streets or in traffic.... I think that applies to a motorcycle.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 12:24 AM
Woo Woo

Sportbike: None for now
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to ZoomByU
my dad had two bikes didnt learn a thing from him but he left us when i was 6 so he didnt have a chance.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50

I have to tell you that, as a father and husband, I almost made that same mistake but, I'm grateful to God that I didn't.

Taborn

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 04:34 AM

My dad had and old Honda from back in the day. Remember the "you meet the nicest people on a Honda" slogans? Yeah, back then. I didnt learn anything about riding a bike from him since he passed away almost two years ago. My family is upset at me for buying a bike after my cousin lost his leg in a bike accedent, although once my mom saw my bike, she told me how much she loved having one before she had me. She even asked if I would give her a ride on it.

Mike
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 05:40 AM
Not fast but persistent!

Sportbike: 95,93 GSXR-750, '04 Volusia, A few KDX's
Years Riding: Few yrs
How you found us: search

Dad started riding at the age of 60. I had to teach him!

Its not how fast you get there,But the condition you arrive.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

My Dad is 68 and he wants to ride my dirtbike after he wouldn't let me have one when I was a kid!

Taborn

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 08:29 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Re: Did your parents ride?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Taborn
If your parents rode motorcycles what is the thing they taught you about riding that most sticks out in your mind? I have a seven year old.

Taborn

Dad rode,

biggest thing that sticks in my mind he taught me was he'd shove his foot soooooo far up my [email protected]# if I ever bought a bike.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Funny how that works in the short run but,...

Taborn

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 08:42 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Taborn
Funny how that works in the short run but,...

Taborn

well His bike was gone before I was old enough to know what was going on. His friends told us stories about how he could crank wheelies for miles on his Suzuki GS. The first time I saw him ride was when I brought my bike home and figured out it was just a threat. You should've seen the smile on his face when he took my FZ600 around the block.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 08:46 AM
K.I.S.S

Sportbike: CBR600RR & H-D Softail Custom
Years Riding: almost as long as it took to fill this out
How you found us: through a miracle

Send a message via AIM to MikeD
my parents were gang bangers. not motorcyclist.

but alas i always get the "your gunna shoot your eye out" speach.

Willard: When I was home after my first tour, it was worse. I'd wake up and there'd be nothing. I hardly said a word to my wife, until I said "yes" to a divorce. When I was here, I wanted to be there; when I was there, all I could think of was getting back into the jungle.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 09:17 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
My father has never ridden a motorcycle. Closest he ever got to riding one was sitting on my '93 shortly after I'd bought her. I used to borrow his garage and toolbox for all my oil changes and "tinkering"... he never said much but I know he thought it was cool. Now that he's in Tennessee, I still ride down to visit - came down on my Gixxer once (500 miles in 6 hours) - the roads down there were MADE for sportbikes but in three days I only saw one other. Real redneck Harley country down there.

Before I really knew her, Mom used to date a guy with a Triumph, but that ended when I was 5 or so. After my divorce, I took a solo trip to her house in Delaware via the Blue Ridge Parkway. When my stepdad heard of what I was planning, he was full of "you'll kill yourself on that darn thing" etc. etc. (he was a wild man on a motorcycle back in his salad days). "Those things are dangerous!". Morning after I arrived, I went downstairs for a cup of coffee and caught him in the carport with the bike. "Oh, I was just checking for oil leaks on my driveway" he said. Well, later that day he was taking all the neighbor kids for rides... rode it to work... I had to practically pry him out of the saddle so I could go home!

Fast-forward 3 years... I called my Mom to tell her that I'd ordered a brand-new '93 Heritage Softail... she said "That's neat! By the way, I'm getting my motorcycle license!". Two months later, when I called to tell her that I'd picked up my bike, she said "That's neat! I just bought a brand-new 750 Virago!"! Thus started the tradition of meeting in Pennsylvania. First time, she met me in Gettysburg... then each trip she would come a little further west until we were meeting up on the east side of Pittsburgh.

On Labor Day weekend in 1995 we were cruising the backroads in northern Maryland when she lost it going through an off-camber left hand turn. She shattered her kneecap and lost her front teeth... got to take a helicopter ride to Baltimore while I had the task of telling my stepdad what had happened. She was in ICU, all full of tubes and drugs and stuff... and all she could think about was whether her bike would be okay. Well, it was totalled - but she took the money and bought herself a Vulcan. Now she and my stepdad have a brand-new Gold Wing and have taken over where I left off on touring. They're heading up to Minneapolis after Memorial Day - there's a good chance they'll be able to make Blackhawk on the 31st to see me race!

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 09:21 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

mt dad use to ride dirt bikes and had an old ass cruiser.

he tought me how to ride dirt bikes, but didnt want me to get into street bikes for some weird reason he had. now i can understand.

the biggest thing he tought me was (DONT CRASH!)..lol

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 09:42 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
I saw my dad try to ride a dirt bike once, he looped it!

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 10:15 AM

Sportbike: 1998 CR 250
Years Riding: Dirt: 1988 Street: 2001
How you found us: Original Gangsta

Send a message via AIM to MoTo178 Send a message via MSN to MoTo178 Send a message via Yahoo to MoTo178
My grandpa raced stockcars and rode bikes. My dad had a 1979 XL 350, and as soon as i could touch my feet to the ground, I had a 1979 XL 75 that was my uncles. My mom rode her brothers dirtbike all the time. I have always had bikes around me and the one thing pounded into my head since i was old enough to want to be on a bike was: NEVER EVER EVEN GET ON A BIKE WITHOUT A HELMET!

I never do. Now my folks ride Harleys and never wear helmets. Go figure. Actually, my mom always wears a helmet on her bike.

Sean
NESBA ADVANCED #178

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 10:19 AM

Dad took me for my first ride when I was 4 or 5, mom stood in the driveway and took pictures as we made a few passes, me sitting next to the tank waving, the old man driving. Still have them somewhere. I guess that was my first attempt at stunting. The no-footed one hander.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 10:28 AM
Grasshopper

My dad rode, until some ass hole blew a stop sign and knocked him off the face of the earth. He used to always tell me it's not you, it's the other asshole. Then he fell victum to it. He used to also tell to watch out for the pee gravel on corners, its slippery.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 10:30 AM

Grandpa rode Indians and Harleys back in the 40's....tried to keep my dad away from bikes. That didn't work, Dad raced enduro, flattrack and mx in the 60's and has had a streetbike since I can remember.

Things Dad taught me:

Respect the bike, it can ALWAYS teach you a new trick.

Kawi's are crap

Husqvarna's rule

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 11:02 AM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

My dad had this hair brained idea to buy a honda back in 1989 or something. He didn't have enough $$ so he asked me to front him $1100.

My Brother, my Dad, and myself took the Motorcycle Safety class and only I passed but my pa took the test at the DMV and passed so no big loss.

He crashed the honda in 91, broke his leg, and then turned around and sold it for more than he paid.

We both got out of biking for a few years then I told him I was going to buy a Harley and he went to the dealer with me and we both walked out with brand new bikes.

I since sold the Harley (POS) and go on rides with my Dad all the time.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 11:04 AM

Sportbike: CURRENTLY LOOKING
Years Riding: since I was 8
How you found us: The NET is MINE

My Dad was the one that showed me how to ride on a lil moped he borrowed first, and then an old Yam RX100. He loves bikes and does not have one right now, but I hope to have him riding again by next year. He tought me lots of things about life but the one that is most important and applies to bike is respect. You have to respect the bike, respect the road, respect your skills and those of others. I think almost everything in life can be related on some leve to respect.

Logtar - John

My Blog - @Logtar - Google+
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Hey Optimus,

At least you can probably shoot straight!

Taborn

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Kim,

With the exception of the injuries to your mom in her crash, I'd say you're pretty close to a dream relationship with your parents. At least from the perspective of a motorcycle fan like myself.

Taborn

post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Moto(Sean),

Both my folks rode at one time. I never had the chance to see it. My dad did buy a go kart for my brothers and I but, he wouldn't let me race. Now he kind of wishes he would have.

Taborn

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Chibeemer,

I thought Kim was the only one with the dream parental relationship. Good thing you got in on the same deal.

Taborn

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 11:22 AM

Sportbike: 06 CBR600RR
Years Riding: bought my first street bike in 2000

yeah, my dad used to ride, but it wasn't for fun like we do. he used to ride because it was his method of transportation. see, before in india, bikes, motorcycles and scooters were the main mode of transportation. obviously things are different now, every idiot has a car, but during his time, he owned a motorcycle and thats how he got around. after he moved here, he didn't ride. i started riding dirt with some friends, and then decided to move to the street. he'll take my bike out every once in awhile....but its been a really long time now since he has. even when he did take it out, it would be very VERY local. the one thing he taught me is that never crank the throttle too hard, or else the front end will come up!
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Guatam,

You mean having the front wheel come up is a bad thing?

I use my bike for transport anywhere from ten to eleven months per year. Living in Ohio that gets tough but, its rarely dull.

Speaking of bikes in India, a good friend of mine used to ride when she lived there. She always teases me that she can still ride but, like I told her "you might still be a good rider, just not on my bike".

Taborn

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 02:36 PM

Back way when, my mom rode a huge old Czech bike that when she dropped she couldn't pick up and needed help. So when I was learning on my 250, she was yelling at me telling me that I was too "ROUGH" on the cluth.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Meg,

There's a woman that wanted to learn to ride a motorcycle. She asked a guy who had one to teach her to ride. He said he would only let her ride if she could pick the bike up when it fell. She didn't learn to ride for twenty years after that incident. Now she goes around the country teaching women how to pick up fallen bikes.

Taborn

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 03:20 PM

When I dropped mine......

I needed help picking it up too.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 03:24 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
I can't pick up my Tiller... but that's why God invented cornerworkers!

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode