Anyone ever amended an incorrect Carfax report? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
vroom vroom

Sportbike: '05 Z750S
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: Katanaplanet

Anyone ever amended an incorrect Carfax report?

Ok, here's the situation. The car that I was trying to sell for my brother had a title mistake. We didn't even find out until someone who was looking at the car showed us a carfax report that listed it as having an odometer issue. What happened was when my mother moved from IL to Wisconsin, somehow the DMV marked a "mileage not accurate" tag on the title. The state has agreed to fix their mistake and issue a clear title, but I want to know if anyone has dealt with Carfax and what our chances would be to have them correct it as well?

Oh, and my mom isn't without blame here... she let this go for 5 years without noticing the issue on the title

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 02:16 PM

Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass

Streak of bad luck lately huh Mike? I'd have to assume once you correct it with the state it should automatically update with Carfax. I'd say correct with state then check a little while later with Carfax to confirm.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by suh-c View Post
Streak of bad luck lately huh Mike? I'd have to assume once you correct it with the state it should automatically update with Carfax. I'd say correct with state then check a little while later with Carfax to confirm.
I'm kinda thinking that, but I would like to get carfax updated as soon as we get the corrected title. I don't want to have this car sitting around forever!

-Mike
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull76 View Post
I'm kinda thinking that, but I would like to get carfax updated as soon as we get the corrected title. I don't want to have this car sitting around forever!
Have you tried talking with Carfax and asking them if their records will update as soon as the DMV records are updated?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
vroom vroom

I have looked online at their process to amend the report. I haven't called to see how quickly they pick up changes, but they have a process that they claim will either approve or deny a request to amend their information within a couple days. I just don't know how difficult they'll be about it. They would have to change the record for when the title was reissued in Wisconsin, and every yearly renewal since they all list that "mileage not accurate" tag.

-Mike
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull76 View Post
I have looked online at their process to amend the report. I haven't called to see how quickly they pick up changes, but they have a process that they claim will either approve or deny a request to amend their information within a couple days. I just don't know how difficult they'll be about it. They would have to change the record for when the title was reissued in Wisconsin, and every yearly renewal since they all list that "mileage not accurate" tag.
Dang, sounds like a PITA. Dunno what to say mang except start the process as soon as possible.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 03:10 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Almost the same thing happened to me. The dealer ran my vin and asked what the deal with the millage was. The aholes at the emission station put in 99,000 miles three tests back. I was able to go to the station and have it amended and brought the dealer the new certification card. They said carfax would catch up because they took the car. I did have three other test with correct millage as proof though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 03:13 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

The whole idea behind carfax is to monitor any history on the car- it will still show up on the report, but there will be a correction entry by the state - it all depends on if the potential buyer believes that the correction was legit or not...........gluck.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Almost the same thing happened to me. The dealer ran my vin and asked what the deal with the millage was. The aholes at the emission station put in 99,000 miles three tests back. I was able to go to the station and have it amended and brought the dealer the new certification card. They said carfax would catch up because they took the car. I did have three other test with correct millage as proof though.
That's good to hear. I had a similar issue with a car that I traded in. I got a call from the dealer I traded it to because the stupid bank did something wrong when I refinanced the loan and the state had tagged it as mileage not accurate. I just had to fill out a form and it was resolved, but since I wasn't selling it I didn't care about carfax on that one.

-Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode