puppy question - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes
 
Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
mkurgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wheeling
Posts: 379
Location: Wheeling
Sportbike: 07 GSX-R 600
Years Riding: 6 yrs
How you found us: friends
           
Send a message via AIM to mkurgan
puppy question

i just brought home an English Bulldog puppy yesterday. He is pooping and peeing all over the place. Last night he fell asleep in his crate, but i left the door open. He walked out of his crate and took a huge dump in the middle of the night.

Should I have left the door locked?
Would he have held it?

also..

How can I get him to poop/pee on these puppy training pads? He just goes wherever he wants.

NESBA #17 (I)
mkurgan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Zydrate addict
 
Piercedqt78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Romeoville
Posts: 5,289
Location: Romeoville
Sportbike: no more riding for me :(
Years Riding: ridin what?
How you found us: I lost a bet, this was my punishment
           
Send a message via AIM to Piercedqt78
Most dogs will keep their bedding clean. You need to close the crate door if that is the training method you are going to use. Go to the local library and get a book about crate training, there are other ways, but the crate works well. Did you buy puppy pads with the hormones on them? My dogs will not use the scent pads, I bought a case of human bed pads, no scent, they are bigger and cheaper. ~Mandy

I don't ride, I cook!
Piercedqt78 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Liz
 
R6_chic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,527
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Sportbike: 07 R6, 07 TTR-125LE, Chevy Colorado
Years Riding: 5 yrs
How you found us: Asschaps
           
i HATE the puppy training pads....if you keep him in the crate at night depending on how old he is he will hold it all night....when i got my 9 week old puppy i was taking her out every hr and a half when i was home....now i know her little signs when she needs to go out...and when she does have an accident it is because we are playing and her mind isnt on letting me know...then its an urgency i gotta go now mom and she goes by the back door.....i absolutely recommend crate training...with everything ive learned growing up with animals and my school training(vet technician) that is what i am training my pup with and she loves her crate...i give her a puppy kong w the stuffing in it...i also put the kong in the freezer for 30 min or so to make her work a little more for it...i never really understood the training pads.....the whole goal of potty training is for them to go outside...and this time of yr is golden for doing that...they dont wanna be outside any longer than they have to in this snow....but why train them to pee and poop inside then turn around and tell them that is bad when you have just rewarded them for doing it there....how old is your pup???
R6_chic is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 09:41 AM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D
 
FiReBReTHa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 11,172
Location: Aurora, IL
Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins
           
Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
with my dog he was going outside every three hours. for a couple of weeks. every time he went he got extremly praised.


if you cant watch the dog every second. into the crate he goes.

that way the second an accident starts you can get upset.

then praise when he goes outside.

I lost quite a bit of sleep getting up and taking em out every three hours but he learned fast and minimized accident.

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer
FiReBReTHa is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Listen to Motley Crue
 
norton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Illinois 60050
Posts: 2,339
Location: Illinois 60050
Sportbike: POSER
Years Riding: 3 Years
How you found us: Shadrach
           
***Thread Jack****
Post some pics, bulldog puppies are the coolest.
norton is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Zydrate addict
 
Piercedqt78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Romeoville
Posts: 5,289
Location: Romeoville
Sportbike: no more riding for me :(
Years Riding: ridin what?
How you found us: I lost a bet, this was my punishment
           
Send a message via AIM to Piercedqt78
I have two Bostons and they still go out at 3am. I have a container of treats near the garage door so I can reward them for going outside. They are both full grown dogs, and still work for treats. I use the puppy pads in their crate, and I leave one out if I know I am I going to be gone a long time. (more than 6 hours) My girls have to be crated when people come over as they are mega hyper, I give them some time to calm down and then let them visit. My girls are happy to go into the crate, that is their comfort zone. ~Mandy

I don't ride, I cook!
Piercedqt78 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Liz
 
R6_chic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,527
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Sportbike: 07 R6, 07 TTR-125LE, Chevy Colorado
Years Riding: 5 yrs
How you found us: Asschaps
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiReBReTHa View Post
with my dog he was going outside every three hours. for a couple of weeks. every time he went he got extremly praised.


if you cant watch the dog every second. into the crate he goes.

that way the second an accident starts you can get upset.

then praise when he goes outside.

I lost quite a bit of sleep getting up and taking em out every three hours but he learned fast and minimized accident.
exactly!!!!!! Praise is your best friend lol they want to make you happy...and as for the loosing sleep part....welcome to puppy ownership lol
R6_chic is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 12:37 PM
PPF Installer
 
wingnutsgsxr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hanover Park, IL
Posts: 1,286
Location: Hanover Park, IL
Sportbike: 01 GSXR 600
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: post on gixxer.com
           
puppy pads are a waste of money, the only thing you are doing is trianing them that its ok to go inside just as long as you do it on this spot, that makes a whole hell of alot of sense.

Sounds to me like you need to take him out more often, Puppies need to go out every couple of hours and at nigh you need to lock the door. They will not go were they sleep unless it is a dier emergency and more than likely will try to wak you up first be making alot of noise.

If you feed on a very strict schedule it is much easier to potty train than if you just free feed (meaning food is available all the time) they have to go usually within 30 minutes of eating and you can't just let him out, you have to go out with him.

I know it sounds harsh, but if you can't handle the schedule.......I think you know where I am going with this.

You are going to get alot of opinions on this around here, take it for what it is, do a search you may find some old threads around here on this very topic. My wife is a vet tech and runs the hospital that she works at, even the Vet tells her this, but take it for what you want.
wingnutsgsxr is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Liz
 
R6_chic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,527
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Sportbike: 07 R6, 07 TTR-125LE, Chevy Colorado
Years Riding: 5 yrs
How you found us: Asschaps
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutsgsxr View Post
puppy pads are a waste of money, the only thing you are doing is trianing them that its ok to go inside just as long as you do it on this spot, that makes a whole hell of alot of sense.

Sounds to me like you need to take him out more often, Puppies need to go out every couple of hours and at nigh you need to lock the door. They will not go were they sleep unless it is a dier emergency and more than likely will try to wak you up first be making alot of noise.

If you feed on a very strict schedule it is much easier to potty train than if you just free feed (meaning food is available all the time) they have to go usually within 30 minutes of eating and you can't just let him out, you have to go out with him.

I know it sounds harsh, but if you can't handle the schedule.......I think you know where I am going with this.

You are going to get alot of opinions on this around here, take it for what it is, do a search you may find some old threads around here on this very topic. My wife is a vet tech and runs the hospital that she works at, even the Vet tells her this, but take it for what you want.
Very GOOD advice!!!! I am going to school to become a veterinary technician ive mentioned it before on other puppy threads....
R6_chic is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Registered User
 
black954's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Winfield IL
Posts: 892
Location: Winfield IL
Sportbike: MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR, KTM 525EXC w/540 big bore
Years Riding: 17
How you found us: at strats on wensday night
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by R6_chic View Post
Very GOOD advice!!!! I am going to school to become a veterinary technician ive mentioned it before on other puppy threads....
+2
Make sure the kennel isn't too big or he will go in it. I highly recommend feeding on a schedule and letting them out 30 minutes after. I have 2 english bulldogs and I feed them at 5am and again at 5pm. I also highly recommend kennel training. My dogs have no problem holding it for up to and over 8 hours. Puppies take LOTS of patience. Also, +2 on puppy pics! Bulldog puppies are the cutest ever.
black954 is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 12:08 AM
Registered User
 
elkhartr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Elkhart, IN
Posts: 36
Location: Elkhart, IN
Sportbike: 07 Yamaha R1
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: member
           
cats rule. . . . dogs drool
elkhartr1 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome