SUV advice - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

SUV advice

Well as most of you know my car went up in a blaze Saturday night and now I am looking for something different.

I never owned a SUV but i am looking towards a durango or Grand Cherokee

Mind you I don't want/need to spend shit loads of money as its only going to be driven during winter and really crappy days. Also looking in the suv direction so i can tow the bikes and jet ski.

You thoughts opion as i need to decide with in the next couple of days

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .

Last edited by C2M; 02-03-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

AVOID DAIMLER CHRYSLER PRODUCTS!!!

Nissan Xterra, Toyota FJ are good. Pulls trailers fine.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

The fj is just dam ugly and way to much then i care to pay.

The xterra tho isnt bad

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .

Last edited by C2M; 02-03-2008 at 08:52 PM.
post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

FJ's are still cheaper than Durangos and Cherokees (btw the new durangos are butt ugly also)
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 08:58 PM
To Punish and Enslave

Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website

Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
The Jeep Grand Cherokee are nice and I have a 03 Durango and never had any issues. The Toyota 4 Runner are nice. They pull 5000 with the V6 and more with the V8 I think. I would love to get a 4 Runner now, but I have no problems with the Dodge so I'm keeping it.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Yeah i heard the 4runner were good my mother has on thats a under cover vehicle and she hasnt had problem other then minor ones

post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFRob View Post
FJ's are still cheaper than Durangos and Cherokees (btw the new durangos are butt ugly also)

I am going with used this time as i dont need new due to the limited usage its going to have

post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 09:05 PM
To Punish and Enslave

Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website

Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by code2medic View Post
Yeah i heard the 4runner were good my mother has on thats a under cover vehicle and she hasnt had problem other then minor ones
I would just go with that. As much as I love my Dodge, my next truck will probably be a Toyota.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 09:10 PM

Sportbike: MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR, KTM 525EXC w/540 big bore
Years Riding: 17
How you found us: at strats on wensday night

The v8 Durango and Grand Cherokees get 10-14 mpg in case that's a concern. I have an older ram and it only gets 11-16 mpg, but it has 186,000 on it and I haven't had many problems with it at all. As far as staying away from Chrysler, all American vehicles have iffy reliabilty cases so don't let that be too much of a factor. Check Craigslist though, most used grand cherokees have TONS of miles on them which should tell you something.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 09:14 PM

Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass

V6 4.0 liter 4Runner for the MFGDW!!!! Tellin' ya man, they're damn pricey but well worth it. Every person I know with one loves em to death. I know you like to ride in all sortsa foul weather but after you buy a 4Runner you might just end up driving that thing all the time! In fact, the next ride I buy will most likely be a 4Runner.

EDIT: anyways, I don't know why the hell you would consider another Mopar product after what happened in your garage today...

Last edited by suh-c; 02-03-2008 at 09:25 PM.
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Avoid Damiler Chrysler...... bull f&*(ing shit.

I have a 3 year old ( almost ) Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 Hemi.
It has been perfect since new and now has 36K on it.

13-14 MPG in the burbs mostly..... sucks big time..... right up until
you drive it home on a night like tonight..... the thing just rips.

Tows 2000 lbs of trailer like it's not there and the Damiler stability
control is awesome.

The dealer experience ( compared to others ) sucks..... to much high-pressure
maintenance up-selling every time you go...... other than that the vehicle
is completely solid.

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 09:36 PM

Sportbike: Triumph
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: search engine

There are so many to choose from, you would need to define more requirements. Price, towing ability, manliness factor (for example, would jokes that your new CR-V is a "chick" car bother you?), fuel economy, new or used...

Based on what you said (towing bikes or jet skis), I would look at mide size SUVs: Trailblazer/Envoy, Ford Explorer, Nissan Xterra, Toyota 4Runner, new Toyota RAV44 w/ V6, Nissan Pathfinder, Jeep Grand Cherokee, BMW X5, Honda Ridgeline (sort of an SUV), Mercedes ML, Subaru Tribeca (facelifted one), Land Rover LR2 or LR3, to name just a few.

If you want a sporty SUV, look at the SRT8 Grand Cherokee, Trailblazer SS, BMW X5 V8.

Does it need to be a traditional SUV? Many of the crossover/station wagon on steroid things will probably tow 2 bikes or two jet skis just fine. You may get a little better fuel economy and a quieter more comfortable ride too.

Good luck on your hunt and sorry to hear about the fire.
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 09:50 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

For what it's worth, I picked up an 06 Grand Cherokee this fall for $15.5K with 29,000 miles. V6 / 4x4

I don't really need an SUV - but I've never looked forward to driving in a snowstom like I do these days. Holy fun. So far so good on the maintenance. Looking forward to some light towing/off roading this spring!

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Been beatin on this chicks 2004 BMW X5 all weekend and love it - Its a battlehorse in the snow too - Went through everything

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 10:17 PM
CUBS fan, not a SOX hater

Sportbike: F3
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: AJCrowley/NESBA

Send a message via Yahoo to JackPot
01' PT Cruiser , by 20K front end was rebuilt, 28K new shock, struts and complete suspension...61K transmission blown (pieces handed back to me in a box gears SHEARED off), 95k 2nd transmission blown, 110K control arms need to be replaced. Complained to Chrysler coporate from day 1, was told to go F*** myself. Argued with them that the car was a lemon, I was told point blank to SUE THEM because thats the only way I'd get anywhere, and they promised to keep me tied up in red tape. Nice huh?

DUMPED THE POS and got an '07 Saturn Vue. amazing customer service and a great SUV for the $$. I'll never get another Daimler product again!

Nicole
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 10:19 PM

Sportbike: RC31
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: it's a small world afterall

We lurve our '06 Xterra. Fab in the snow, and tows the enclosed trailer with two bikes and gear no problem. 5000 pound tow capacity, and compact enough that it's not a pain in the arse in the city. It's got the wet gear storage on top and rails in the rear for a bike rack inside. Not at all glamorous on the inside, but that's not what I go for anyhoo.

Swift Molly's Motor Circus
Michelin Woodcraft Armour Bodies Spyder Leatherworks STT STG

UNAPOLOGETIC FAN OF THINGS THAT ARE OLD AND SLOW
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Resident Slow Guy

Sportbike: Ain't got none!
Years Riding: Since May 21, 2011
How you found us: The intarwebz

Send a message via Yahoo to ENutz
Get a "Cute Ute". CR-V, RAV4, Kia Sportage, Ford Escape

I don't think I need to say what SUV I would suggest. I've probably said it a 100 times on here.

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

"Nigga if you ride, nigga you gon fall!" - Katt Williams

Ashwin Gopal, David Ryan, Baby Ronin Tyler, John George, Chris Kotacka aka 'Arch', Eva Grzegorczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob, Esq. View Post
image v. substance. Some people want to be motorcyclists, others just want to be seen as motorcyclists.
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackPot View Post
01' PT Cruiser , by 20K front end was rebuilt, 28K new shock, struts and complete suspension...61K transmission blown (pieces handed back to me in a box gears SHEARED off), 95k 2nd transmission blown, 110K control arms need to be replaced. Complained to Chrysler coporate from day 1, was told to go F*** myself. Argued with them that the car was a lemon, I was told point blank to SUE THEM because thats the only way I'd get anywhere, and they promised to keep me tied up in red tape. Nice huh?

DUMPED THE POS and got an '07 Saturn Vue. amazing customer service and a great SUV for the $$. I'll never get another Daimler product again!

Nicole

So what's goin on with the snow problem you were having on the Vue?
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suh-c View Post
So what's goin on with the snow problem you were having on the Vue?
Saturn Rocks! It was loose seals and 50mph winds which blew the snow in through the weak seals...they are fixing the seals and will pressure test them when they are done. It was a freak thing.

The service manager also told me they will have the inside of my car detailed if any water marks were left anywhere (which they weren't). They are great (this is Saturn of Elmhurst). Chrysler would have given me the finger per usual.

Nicole
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Saturn Rocks! It was loose seals and 50mph winds which blew the snow in through the weak seals...they are fixing the seals and will pressure test them when they are done. It was a freak thing.

The service manager also told me they will have the inside of my car detailed if any water marks were left anywhere (which they weren't). They are great (this is Saturn of Elmhurst). Chrysler would have given me the finger per usual.

Nicole
I'm glad to hear they took care of it for ya and even offered the detail. Some places need to learn that sometimes all it takes is a little lip service to make a customer happy. Mopar is gonna hate me for this but I hafta say I never liked any Mopar products except the old school hot rods. You gotta give it to them for inventing the minivan though!
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suh-c View Post
I'm glad to hear they took care of it for ya and even offered the detail. Some places need to learn that sometimes all it takes is a little lip service to make a customer happy. Mopar is gonna hate me for this but I hafta say I never liked any Mopar products except the old school hot rods. You gotta give it to them for inventing the minivan though!
Right...Dodge Carvan...worst transmissions ever built FTW.
Whats so weird is I know people who have Jeeps and have driven them into the ground....hundreds of thousands of miles...I couldn't even get 20K out of my over priced, over rated POS.

I love American Heavy Metal...old school MOPAR...not the crap they are putting out today.

Nicole
post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78montecarlo View Post
There are so many to choose from, you would need to define more requirements. Price, towing ability, manliness factor (for example, would jokes that your new CR-V is a "chick" car bother you?), fuel economy, new or used...

Based on what you said (towing bikes or jet skis), I would look at mide size SUVs: Trailblazer/Envoy, Ford Explorer, Nissan Xterra, Toyota 4Runner, new Toyota RAV44 w/ V6, Nissan Pathfinder, Jeep Grand Cherokee, BMW X5, Honda Ridgeline (sort of an SUV), Mercedes ML, Subaru Tribeca (facelifted one), Land Rover LR2 or LR3, to name just a few.

If you want a sporty SUV, look at the SRT8 Grand Cherokee, Trailblazer SS, BMW X5 V8.

Does it need to be a traditional SUV? Many of the crossover/station wagon on steroid things will probably tow 2 bikes or two jet skis just fine. You may get a little better fuel economy and a quieter more comfortable ride too.

Good luck on your hunt and sorry to hear about the fire.
As far as the manliness factor I am not insecure with myself where i actually would buy a car to appease a women cause due to lack of skills. I am looking for used since the car will be driven for winter months and the occasional trip where i would rather drive. I am probally going to go with a Cherokee tho need to research more and also taking note of the advice from the more experienced

post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:16 PM
vrrooooooom!

Sportbike: 01 honda 929rr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: from a member of fireblades.org

Send a message via AIM to trey
Can't beat the tahoes and yukons by GM.

<------ Jason
post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:34 PM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

screw getting an SUV. get a pickup truck to haul your bikes to/from the track. if you want a large covered interior to carry stuff then throw a shell on top of the bed
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:46 PM
[Online]

Sportbike: Multistrada 1100S; CBR600RR
Years Riding: Since 2004
How you found us: CRR

My ex had a Durango and I drove it for may be 200-300 miles in total, both in dry summer conditions and during a winter snow storm. BMW X5 aside, this is the SUV I like the most so far. Toyotas are great, but every time I drive them, I feel like I'm playing a video game - zero feedback on steering an suspension (btw, that's also the reason I hate Camry with passion). She didn't have much problems with it either, but she also wasn't driving it that much. The only thing I didn't like about Durango was cheapish interior. IMHO, the platform deserves much better.

- Stas

Thou shalt not disfigure the soul.
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:57 PM
with 2 n's

Sportbike: 2000 SV650(street), 2009 TTR230(dirt)
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: member

Send a message via Yahoo to glenn
I got a 2000 xterra that just keeps on plugging. 145k miles on it. Never had a problem, except a leaky coolant hose. All you have to do is routine maintenance. It pulls an open trailer with 2 bikes just fine with a V6. Gas mileage sucks though at 15mpg/city and 18mpg/hwy.

Last edited by glenn; 02-04-2008 at 12:00 AM.
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Quote:

Nicole

Sweet, you blow seals. Can I watch?
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 12:03 AM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

If you are interested in a 2001 Z71 Tahoe for around 15K let me know Mine will be for sale within a couple of weeks.
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 12:46 AM
Cuddlie as a koala

Quote:
Right...Dodge Carvan...worst transmissions ever built FTW.
Whats so weird is I know people who have Jeeps and have driven them into the ground....hundreds of thousands of miles...I couldn't even get 20K out of my over priced, over rated POS.

I love American Heavy Metal...old school MOPAR...not the crap they are putting out today.

Nicole
Exactly. Funny how their quality was going UP until Daimler bought them then if plummeted. They were going on the idea that everyone buys a new one every 2 yrs. That may work for Mercedes where people can afford to replace them every 2 yrs. The only thing Daimler did right was leave the Viper team alone to do what they needed to. I couldnt imiagine how fucked up vipers would had become if Dr Z got his kraut fingers into the Viper's dept.

I had less problems with my highly modified 88 Shelby CSX (dodge shadow for those that dont know which dodge shelby used) than I had with my 98 stock dakota. Now I have this wonderfull missfire issue that I cant get fixed. Pretty much the whole ign system has been replaced. Bucks like mad. Sometimes only above 3000, sometimes only below and sometimes is fine for 20 min, then surging like hell. Its a real treat when this happens on glare ice. Not to mention the wonderfull power steering leak it has AGAIN. this time its worse than the last time. Cant wait until spring and just freaking dump this money pit.
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 01:12 AM

Sportbike: Suzuki Hayabusa
Years Riding: b4 i could walk
How you found us: some guy

Nissan TiTan FTW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode