Are there any arcades left in Chicago? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Are there any arcades left in Chicago?

Dennis' Place down the street closed up....
Feel like playing some old school fighting games...
Killer Instinct, MK, SF2... Something like that...
I have D & B.. but.. Don't feel like going there...
Looking for a real arcade...
If there are any left around....?

RIP Dennis'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Ninja Kick!

Sportbike: 09 R6 09, RS125
Years Riding: Not enough
How you found us: Spongebob

Any GameWorks around your area? GW has way better games than D&B.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
Fun Zone closed years ago that was my spot as a kid. Enchanted Castle is closed as well. I thought there was one somewhere around harlem and 55th st but i don't remember the name.

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Any GameWorks around your area? GW has way better games than D&B.
Scumburg...

I am so bored.. holed up in the house.. wife's in Tampa on business... snowing like crazy outside...
Contract I was on just ended.. So i am unemployed right now.. and... everything I can think of that is productive I could be doing.. I just don't wanna do

Looking for a hole in the wall arcade.. not a cheezy high budget barcade...
just feel like blowing a couple bucks on some old school 1 on 1 fighting games
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 04:59 PM

Sportbike: 2001 zx6
How you found us: Search

Send a message via AIM to ThirdgenTa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
Fun Zone closed years ago that was my spot as a kid. Enchanted Castle is closed as well. I thought there was one somewhere around harlem and 55th st but i don't remember the name.
There is an Enchanted Castle outside Fox Valley Mall and I think there is some kind of game place next door.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 05:20 PM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

Nickel City in Northbrook just off of 94 and Waukegan Rd
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Never heard of this one... This might be a possibility.
googling now... bet it'd take forever to get there right now though...
ROads are probably c-rap right now
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 05:23 PM
I miss mopar

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: I can't count that high.
How you found us: i don't remember.

Send a message via AIM to Drama Send a message via Skype™ to Drama
He lives in chicago. I highly doubt he's driving to the burbs.

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
Dirt: TBD
I love bike shopping.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama View Post
He lives in chicago. I highly doubt he's driving to the burbs.
I do have a car.. and I'd probably be driving anywhere I'd be going.. if there was something close enough to walk to I imagine I'd already know about it..

but this is good... maybe I'll find out about some other interesting places to go out in the burbies...

I think there is a place just north of addison on western (by Champion if you know where that is)
but I am not sure if it's an arcade or what...
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

does anybody else think the majority of people on yelp are little bitches?
http://www.yelp.com/biz/dennis-place...ames-chicago-3

and i quote
"Rich L.
Chicago, IL
1 star rating01/16/2008
About time they shut this place down. Back when I lived in Lakeview, this was the place I always had to hurry past when I got off at the Belmont Red Line stop because I was afraid its clientele would shoot me or shank me."

That was posted by a guy.
I know a lot of the guys in my neighborhood are kind of bitches.. but.. wtf?
What a pussy.
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Well
I poked around a bit... and unless google is wrong all of the arcades closed up.. except for d and b and espnzone...

im going to buy my own Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, and Killer Instinct machines.. bah
i dont care if I'm a throwback
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 10:17 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

Quote:
Originally Posted by gconsier View Post
Scumburg...

I am so bored.. holed up in the house.. wife's in Tampa on business... snowing like crazy outside...
Contract I was on just ended.. So i am unemployed right now.. and... everything I can think of that is productive I could be doing.. I just don't wanna do

Looking for a hole in the wall arcade.. not a cheezy high budget barcade...
just feel like blowing a couple bucks on some old school 1 on 1 fighting games

sign here x_____________ labor to be done is installing full exhaust tune up and change of tires also adding in the PCIII in order to cure your bordem

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 05:04 AM
hockey dominates all

Sportbike: black Ninja 500
Years Riding: since May 06
How you found us: yahoo

there used to be a hole-in-the-wall arcade in Crystal Lake at the corner of Gary and North Ave, just behind the White Castle. I have no idea if it's still around but I remember it being what you're looking for.

<---- Matt - Xbox Live: MaskedMan13

four wheels move the body; two wheels move the soul

it doesn't matter what you ride, it only matters that you ride...
...unless it's a Kawi, then I'll be your friend
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
I went there a couple years back to take my daughter to a birthday party. All the old games are free!

That's funny stuff about Dennis', the one that was in Rogers Park was way more sketchy!

Times Square was a good spot, Midway used to use it as a test market and they'd be the first to get the new versions of MK.

<--------Sticky Nicky

Last edited by Sticky; 02-07-2008 at 08:21 AM.
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 08:31 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

The arcade I ran was Just Games right on Ogden in Downers Grove...you might now that building now as DGY. Damn I miss that place...the crazy wild shit we did after hours.

It does look like all the old haunts are closing up. If I need some oldskool gaming (my arcade was Midway and Capcom field test site), I go to the Brunswick Zone in Naperville across from the Police Station, or the other one...I think it's a Brunswick Zone in Downers Grove off 75th Street and Lemont road (aka by The Four Corners).

Dennis' was the last place I recall in the city. It's pretty damn old skool. I think there was one other place in Niles maybe that was also a Midway test spot...I can't remember what it was called.

Back in the day we used to do a tour of all the arcades, sharking punks on MK2 and Street Fighter 2....that's how we got gas money back then. LOL

If you are thinking about getting your own games, I might suggest you look into MAME. The initial hardware setup would be expensive as you need to buy a good computer, but the Multiple-Arcade-Machine-Emulator (MAME) is pretty well done. I had one I built in a "universal" cabinet with a big 20" Sony computer monitor, and you could switch control panels for different games (MK control panel vs a trackball control panel for example). I think it cost me about $1200 to build it, computer, monitor, cabinet and all. But I really went all out on it. Custom paint for the sides, and a Marquee with fluorescent lighting at the top. I had several control panels I built up for it with all arcade quality switches and sticks.

I promised myself once I get house, I'll build up another MAME machine like that.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
I remember Dennis'... up on Clark Street.

The mini-golf joint at Lincoln/Devon had an arcade (next to the Bunny Hutch)... I remember going up on my 10-speed and playing pinball there back when I was 11-12.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

We did the same thing..
In HS we supported ourselves playing SF2 and MK1/2
Used to live in the arcade.. and for a short time.. I worked at an Aladdins Castle during HS...
I am familiar with MAME.. I know some people that have built em etc.. but.. something just isn't 100% right... and.. I want the real thing...
Paying for it shouldn't be so much of a problem.. It's not like I am looking for Cruisin World with a real Miata
Used to go to Friar Tucks back in the day...
I have actually played at Midway.. it's up north off california and roscoe...
We were invited there by Ed Boon and John Tobias... that was.. forever ago... (btw.. is it name dropping if nobody knows who you are talking about? )

I actually met/sorta knew all of the actors from the MK1 game.. Divisio, ho sung pak, ho young pak, daniel pesina... cant remember all of their names.... Ho Sung was the leader of the troop.. he played Liu Kang, Chinese Wushu champion... Rich Divisio hit on my mom... he gave her his # hah (btw.. he was kano)

side note.. did you know the mk actors were also the guys in the turtle suits? cant remember who was who definatively off top of my head.. but I am pretty sureHo Sung was Rafael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
The arcade I ran was Just Games right on Ogden in Downers Grove...you might now that building now as DGY. Damn I miss that place...the crazy wild shit we did after hours.

It does look like all the old haunts are closing up. If I need some oldskool gaming (my arcade was Midway and Capcom field test site), I go to the Brunswick Zone in Naperville across from the Police Station, or the other one...I think it's a Brunswick Zone in Downers Grove off 75th Street and Lemont road (aka by The Four Corners).

Dennis' was the last place I recall in the city. It's pretty damn old skool. I think there was one other place in Niles maybe that was also a Midway test spot...I can't remember what it was called.

Back in the day we used to do a tour of all the arcades, sharking punks on MK2 and Street Fighter 2....that's how we got gas money back then. LOL

If you are thinking about getting your own games, I might suggest you look into MAME. The initial hardware setup would be expensive as you need to buy a good computer, but the Multiple-Arcade-Machine-Emulator (MAME) is pretty well done. I had one I built in a "universal" cabinet with a big 20" Sony computer monitor, and you could switch control panels for different games (MK control panel vs a trackball control panel for example). I think it cost me about $1200 to build it, computer, monitor, cabinet and all. But I really went all out on it. Custom paint for the sides, and a Marquee with fluorescent lighting at the top. I had several control panels I built up for it with all arcade quality switches and sticks.

I promised myself once I get house, I'll build up another MAME machine like that.
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 10:04 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Wait, were you a tester? If so, there was a good chance that you and I met!

I only met the dude that played Shang Tsung, he taught at a marshal arts school around here somewhere.

I think you and I need to find an MKII machine around somewhere and go head to head. I doubt I remember any fatalities or any other tricks, but it would be fun to see who could school who! I was pretty wicked with Jonny Cage and especially Scorpion. In fact, the testers named a Scorpion move after me.

post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

not a tester.. just personable.. or i was anyway...
i met tobias and boone thru some friar tucks people...
i wasnt the best in our group.. hung out with a guy names josh who was basically an idiot savant.. any video game.. he could generally beat first try... he could beat people in sf by giving them 1st round and then letting them pick his character and special move and he would do nothing but that move.. it was uncanny.. and im not talking schmucks off the street.. we traveled all over (from indiana.. ) we even came out to chicago and played at dennis'... i almost had to fight 3 or 4 guys cuz of him... and jax...
they had this thing there.. that throwing was cheap... so if they threw someone on accident.. theyd give the person a free throw... josh saw this.. thought it was hillarious.. so he threw someone.. when they walked over for their free throw.. he threw em again.. then he declared he would use no move other than quad slam.. they actually called some guy at home after about 30-45 minutes of this.. he came down.. josh beat him with nothing but quad slam maybe 5x.... (with basically the entire arcade around the machine watching).. the guy wanted to kick his ass ... people at dennis' were quite ghetto...
and i was basically one of the defacto bodyguards in my group of friends... there were a couple of us who could fight our way out of a wet kleenex.. i was one of them.. go me...

so in any case.. i ended up in a shoving match with a few guys under the el tracks.. and it ended there.. just a bunch of name calling.. funny story now.. i thought i was going to get shot then (youd be surprised how many times i have had a gun pulled on me over a video game (and err.. maybe my mouth had a bit to do with it )....

it'd be fun to play.
i dont remember the moves either.. been so long
i remember.. we had the moves off of this secret place called "usenet"
we drug that out for.. weeks.. made a couple hundred bucks and a bunch of cd's off of em.. hah

Quote:
Wait, were you a tester? If so, there was a good chance that you and I met!

I only met the dude that played Shang Tsung, he taught at a marshal arts school around here somewhere.

I think you and I need to find an MKII machine around somewhere and go head to head. I doubt I remember any fatalities or any other tricks, but it would be fun to see who could school who! I was pretty wicked with Jonny Cage and especially Scorpion. In fact, the testers named a Scorpion move after me.
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 11:09 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Ok, while it took me a LOOOONG time to get to that level, I was as the same level as your buddy. The Scorpion move I used was called the "Feve Toss". I could beat the game using nothing but Scorpions arial toss. I got so good at it that I was faster then the computer. (My nick name back then was Jonny Fever...long story that...hence, Feve-Toss)

Similiar story to yours...I was up at (What is now the Brunswick zone) on 75th street in Downers Grove. They had just gotten Street Fighter II Turbo on a big screen (Mitsu 50" with controllers about 6' away). Behind the players there was a crane game that had a mirror on it's back panel. I would crouch down behind the control panel with my arms crossed, and play Blanka in the reflection of the Crane Game. Then when people got pissy because I was showing off, I'd ask them to pick a button and only use that button.

Anywho, back to MKII. Mike Vinicour (I think I spelled his name right) was one of the #1 game testers for Midway back then, and we played together all the time at Just Games. He and I felt throwing was part of the game, and if I remember correctly Boon and Tobias put a code in there that when you typed out something on the controls, the game would say something like "Throwing Encouraged" and would yell something in mine or Mikes voice. I forgot even what it said...just something simple like "YEAH!" or "Take It!"

I need to look this stuff up again...it's sad that we had access to all this stuff, and I can't remember any of it anymore....

OK, Wink needs to buy an MKII machine, STAT!

post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Resident Slow Guy

Sportbike: Ain't got none!
Years Riding: Since May 21, 2011
How you found us: The intarwebz

Send a message via Yahoo to ENutz
Quote:

Similiar story to yours...I was up at (What is now the Brunswick zone) on 75th street in Downers Grove. They had just gotten Street Fighter II Turbo on a big screen (Mitsu 50" with controllers about 6' away). Behind the players there was a crane game that had a mirror on it's back panel. I would crouch down behind the control panel with my arms crossed, and play Blanka in the reflection of the Crane Game. Then when people got pissy because I was showing off, I'd ask them to pick a button and only use that button.

OK, Wink needs to buy an MKII machine, STAT!
I remember that machine at what used to be called "NuVision". That was one of my hangouts when I was a young punkass skater from Downers South.

My buddy has a MKII machine in his living room. I think he got it off eGay for $500 bones.

<- Erwin

CCS AM #611

"Nigga if you ride, nigga you gon fall!" - Katt Williams

Ashwin Gopal, David Ryan, Baby Ronin Tyler, John George, Chris Kotacka aka 'Arch', Eva Grzegorczyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob, Esq. View Post
image v. substance. Some people want to be motorcyclists, others just want to be seen as motorcyclists.
post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 11:45 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

NuVision! That's what it was called!

Man, I'd forget my head if it weren't attached.

I'm looking for the Throwing Encouraged code for MKII, and I can only find the Throwing Disabled. Bah!

A side note: My friend Mike from Midway introduced me to the #1 play tester for all Midway pinball games. He can go up to any Midway Pinball game made in the 90's and tap a code in using the flippers, and the game says HI to him, then gives him some free credits! He also showed me this code (that I've long since forgotten) that when you tap it into the machine shows jokes and pictures on the dot matrix screens on the backboard...like "When Cows Have Chainsaws" or something where it would show Texas Chainsaw Cows with skin masks and weird stuff.

Apparently the Pinball designers are big into the ganja.

post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 11:46 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

home game systems killed that market.

post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys View Post
home game systems killed that market.
true
but a shame
i hate playing with my thumbs
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 11:52 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by gconsier View Post
true
but a shame
i hate playing with my thumbs

True what Ken said...

As for Thumbs...that's why I have a full sized (well, lap sized) controller with a Playstation plug on the end. And I have an adapter that will turn Playstation Controllers into USB game pads so I can use the same full size controller on the computer for MAME. I'm pretty sure it was made by Pelican, and only cost me $50. I'm pretty sure they made an X-box version.

post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
True what Ken said...

As for Thumbs...that's why I have a full sized (well, lap sized) controller with a Playstation plug on the end. And I have an adapter that will turn Playstation Controllers into USB game pads so I can use the same full size controller on the computer for MAME. I'm pretty sure it was made by Pelican, and only cost me $50. I'm pretty sure they made an X-box version.
yea
i have thought about doing that
havent played around with it in a while
... it might be emotional.. but it's different playing on a real machine...
the click of the buttons..
jamma boards play a little bit different...
the real controllers... that dont move...
i dont know
i like the real thing.. and like i said.. it might be some emotional throwback thing.. but i feel like playing some old school fighting games...
and as soon as i get out of this condo.. i am going to buy them
almost have a # of times

but... on another note
wife was talking about wanting to move to HK for a year or two...
ugh..
I dont think
a: we'd have a big enough place in hong kong to do that
b: that id want to be moving them back and forth.. kinda a long trip...

she said HK for Frankfurt...
maybe Frankfurt
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 12:11 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

Well, if you find an MKII or SFII machine, drop me a line and we'll get some Old Skool gaming on! I fully understand what you mean about the full size games. I had 7 full size games and 2 Mini (not cocktial but half size) games that I rescued from Just Games when they closed. I missed out on Smash TV and that one football one with the robots (I forgot what it was called), but got Crackdown, Asteroids, Omega Race (full and mini), Millipede (full and mini) and some others I don't recall. One was a generic cabinet with a quick release tray that you could pop a Jamma game in there in seconds. I had two sets of full size controllers I could swap from on that universal cab.

you have to understand, I was living alone, in a one bedroom apartment...so at the time, I could get away with it. Now...not so much.

post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 12:13 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 12:16 PM
The Halo hides my Horns

These might just be from my arcade:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/tag/560343122.html

post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 12:19 PM
teets

Sportbike: teets
Years Riding: teets
How you found us: teets

Send a message via AIM to Flounder
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo View Post
The fun zone by lane tech? I use to go there after they closed down the smaller arcade right across the street from Lane. Man memories... I use to pwn the shit outta everyone in KI and MK.

I use to frequent: Dennis's (both of them), Diversions (was my main hangout), Time Square... Me and my buddy use to own most .. if not all of the regulars that went there. Much later, I started going to the place across from Lane (my high school) and then Funzone. We use to play at the JJ peppers across from lane where the currency exchange is now as well.

Fuck!! Life was so much simpler then.. I got a 20 dollar a week allowance and I would take it and get 10 dollars in quarters.

teets

Last edited by Flounder; 02-07-2008 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode