Michael Vicks dogs being rehab'd and given to new homes - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Michael Vicks dogs being rehab'd and given to new homes

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/07/vic...hab/index.html
THis is good news

After reading this... I am a little confused by PETA.. but.. Whatever.. I guess if you become an extremist in anything you become a psychopath... (they were court ordered to release their records lately.. They euthanize 97% of the companion animals they take in)

in case you are curious what I am talking about...
"The Humane Society of the United States and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wanted the dogs euthanized. But rescue operations won their fight to give these animals a second chance at life."

KANAB, Utah (CNN) -- Ellen doesn't look like a top-fighting dog.

Michael Vick agreed to pay nearly $1 million to subsidize the various facilities caring for his 47 pit bulls.

She wags her tail and gives kisses to anyone who greets her. But the deep scars on her face are permanent reminders of her difficult and violent past.

Ellen is one of the 47 pit bulls seized from an illegal dog fighting ring on property owned by disgraced NFL quarterback Michael Vick.

The dogs were bred to fight to the death. Of course, if trained properly they can be gentle loyal pets.

Twenty-two of the pit bulls now reside at sanctuary at the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in the mountain town of Kanab, Utah. The 25 other dogs have been placed at rehabilitation shelters across the country.

All of them are lucky to be alive.

The Humane Society of the United States and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wanted the dogs euthanized. But rescue operations won their fight to give these animals a second chance at life.

"There's a belief by a lot of people that these dogs cannot be rehabilitated," said the facility's veterinarian, Dr. Frank McMillan. "It's true that they can't all be [rehabilitated], but we're finding out here and elsewhere, that they can and they become very nice pets." Watch how the dogs are learning to interact with people

The dogs have only been at the shelter about a month and their caregivers have already seen signs of progress.

"I was surprised at how many were shy. There were quite a few that were under socialized and pretty shut down," said Michelle Besmehn, who oversees the dogs at the sanctuary.

"I've been really pleased at how quickly they're coming around. It's actually been fun to see personalities are starting to show. "

One of the most affectionate and lovable dogs at the shelter is Lucas -- Vick's champion fighter.

Shelter staff believes the scarred, brown 65-pound pit bull won praise and special treatment for winning fights and money, perhaps hundreds of thousands of dollars for Vick and his associates.

Despite his good nature, a court ruled that Lucas can never leave the sanctuary because of his violent past.

Dogs that didn't fight well were beaten, drowned, shot and even electrocuted by Vick and his associates, according to court records.

Thought it's nearly impossible to know the extent of the emotional and physical abuse these dogs endured, in some cases it's apparent.

One dog, Georgia, had all 42 of her teeth pulled. Caregivers believe it was to prevent her from attacking male dogs during forced breeding.

"We don't know who did it. We assume it's because she was such a valuable breeding dog," McMillian said. "Very often females will not accept males in breeding and will attack."

The National Geographic Channel will profile Georgia and three of the other pit bulls as part of an ongoing television series, "Dogtown," which follows the rehabilitation and resocialization of the worst cases.

The hope is that six months from now, some of the dogs will become normal, lovable pets that are safe enough to adopt.

Even if they never get adopted, the dogs will always have a home at Best Friends, which doesn't euthanize for behavioral reasons.

The former Atlanta Falcons quarterback is serving a 23-month sentence at maximum-security prison in Leavenworth, Kansas. The NFL suspended Vick indefinitely without pay. He agreed to pay nearly $1 million to subsidize the various facilities that are caring for his former pit bulls.

"To me, and to those of us that care about animals, it's more than fair and maybe not enough," said McMillan.

"If he wants to play football, none of us here care about that. But we don't want him ever owning a dog again"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 08:42 AM
I do it in the dirt!

Sportbike: 05 CRF250R #606, 03 XR70
Years Riding: lots
How you found us: Intarwebz

wtf is this?? rehab for dogs?

These animals need to either be put down, or sent over to Iraq for use in "questioning insurgents".

How could these fools even think that dogs bred for fighting can somehow miraculously "learn" to live with people?? What about kids, neighbors, other animals?

Wait until the first of these dogs takes someone's hand off, then watch the lawsuits start rolling in.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 09:00 AM
PPF Installer

Sportbike: 01 GSXR 600
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: post on gixxer.com

I didn't read all of this, but I do recall that it is very limited as to what the dogs can be used for, no chance of any of them going to someones home as a family pet and alot of the dogs showed very promising temperments and what not as soon as they started working with them.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SLaYeR View Post

These animals need to either be put down, or sent over to Iraq for use in "questioning insurgents".

How could these fools even think that dogs bred for fighting can somehow miraculously "learn" to live with people?? What about kids, neighbors, other animals?

Wait until the first of these dogs takes someone's hand off, then watch the lawsuits start rolling in.
Oh come on, it's not like they are human ex cons...
Why can't the be rehabilitated.. They never chose the life of crime.
It was thrust upon them.

but in all seriousness....
I think something like this needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis... Coming to the conclusion to just kill them all out of fear of some future liability is no better than just dumping em all in old folks homes and peoples houses with toy breeds.

I hate to say it, but the poor dogs had a really rough go.. and it seems to me only fair to give them a shot.

Hell.. that's just me though.. If I saw a truck coming at my dog down the street, and there was some guy I didn't know 5' away about to get hit by the same truck.. and I could only save one... Well... I know who I'd save.. She is sitting next to me on the couch looking at me as I type.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 11:37 AM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Quote:
I wish I could slap you.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzx9r View Post
I wish I could slap you.
cut him some slack, look at his avatar and where he is from...
he doesn't know any better
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Quote:
Originally Posted by gconsier View Post
Oh come on, it's not like they are human ex cons...
Why can't the be rehabilitated.. They never chose the life of crime.
It was thrust upon them.

but in all seriousness....
I think something like this needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis... Coming to the conclusion to just kill them all out of fear of some future liability is no better than just dumping em all in old folks homes and peoples houses with toy breeds.

I hate to say it, but the poor dogs had a really rough go.. and it seems to me only fair to give them a shot.

Hell.. that's just me though.. If I saw a truck coming at my dog down the street, and there was some guy I didn't know 5' away about to get hit by the same truck.. and I could only save one... Well... I know who I'd save.. She is sitting next to me on the couch looking at me as I type.
+1

Obviously these dogs aren't for everyone, but I'm willing to bet the majority of these dogs already have people interested. Hell, if my wife didn't have 3 small dogs, I'd consider getting one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 12:42 PM

Sportbike: Ducati Monster 900s,TT-R 125LE.SV650S, R6
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: ChicagoMonster,aka big Jeff

Fighting dogs strike me as being much more unpredictable than any other dogs,and I would NEVER trust one around small kids.

Best Friends shelter in Kanab is a great organization, & if anyone will do right by these dogs it's them.(I'm a donor & plan some volunteer time there this year)

http://www.bestfriends.org/

"The two most important days of your life are the day you are born, and the day you find out why." -Mark Twain
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Deefib,

Thanks for the link... I just went and took a look at their page...
I wouldn't mind helping out myself.. Monetarily or in terms of time.

Seeing as they are in Utah... Unless they have facilities all over.. Don't know what I could do other than money... I'll look at their site a bit more.

I just read thru the faq about his dogs there.. Think that might answer some of the questions and or statements posted here

‘Already making breakthroughs’

January 29, 2008 : 5:52 PM ET

As the Vicktory dogs begin their healing at Best Friends, Paul Berry, executive director, explains why Best Friends offered to take them in and what lies ahead for them.
What was it like when the dogs first arrived at the sanctuary?

They were a bit weary from the trip, but lots of tails wagging. And for us, it was a mix of emotions, seeing their big smiling eyes against the scars on their faces from all the fighting. Most of all, we were just glad they were here and safe.

Why have pit bulls become the dogs of choice for dog fighters?

Ironically – tragically – it’s their trusting and loyal nature that makes pit bulls so susceptible to exploitation by people. Pit bulls are very eager to please, and the people who want to fight these dogs manipulate their loyalty and trust to try to train them into fighters.

The training techniques are very oppressive and extremely cruel. And most folks don’t realize that the vast majority of dogs bred for fighting don’t actually make the cut. The ones who refuse to fight are either killed or become bait dogs, or they’re just abandoned to the streets and end up in already overcrowded shelters. In fact, more bully breed dogs are killed in shelters than any other breed.

What is Best Friends doing to combat the horrible blood sport of dog fighting?

Of course, we need better enforcement of anti-dog-fighting laws in our country, and most existing laws need to be strengthened significantly. We’re very pleased that Best Friends’ model anti-dog-fighting legislation is currently making its way through the Georgia state senate. We’re hopeful that it will pass and serve as a model for improved anti-dog-fighting legislation in other states.

But dog fighting is a cultural problem of epidemic proportions. It’s now a billion-dollar industry, and it’s firmly rooted in at-risk communities in every major city in the U.S. So we’ll need more than just legislation to effect real change. Over the past year, Best Friends has been developing model programming that works with churches and civic groups in at-risk communities on the intrinsic relationship of domestic and youth violence – and their relationship to dog fighting in these communities. We’re very excited at the initial results and are intending to expand that programming into select major cities this year.

More than 20 breeds of dogs have become the targets of breed bans and breed restrictions. And pit bulls are the most commonly banned breed in a number of cities and towns around the world. What is Best Friends’ position on breed-specific legislation?

Best Friends opposes breed-ban legislation in all its forms and incarnations. Some communities have tried this legislation in an attempt to protect the public from so-called “dangerous dogs.” But breed bans just don’t work. The goal is public safety – for people and animals – and the problem should be addressed at its root causes with enforceable legislation aimed squarely at irresponsible pet owners and exploitive breeders and trainers.

Why did Best Friends make a decision to accept 22 dogs from the Michael Vick case when it turns down requests for the sanctuary to take pit bulls every day?

There was a lot of talk from other organizations about killing the dogs. That seemed entirely wrong to us. These dogs were the ultimate victims of a horrible crime that had become a national outrage. We could not possibly go along with the idea that they would simply be held as evidence until the court proceedings were over, and then be summarily killed. What kind of message does that send to local humane groups and rescue organizations all over the country who are doing all they can to save the lives of thousands of other dogs in similar circumstances? We needed to make it absolutely clear that there are real options, real alternatives, for the victims of these terrible crimes.

What will be the nature of Best Friends’ involvement with the dogs?

They'll all have very good lives, either here at the sanctuary or in new forever homes.

And yes, that means we're keeping the door open that some can be adopted. We’ve worked with bully breeds and dog-aggressive dogs for many years. And we’ve had very good success in rehabilitating many who have been as severely abused as these have. So we’re quite confident that in recovering their trust and then teaching them new life skills, many of them can be adoptable, given the right home environment. We’ll see how it goes, and take each one on a case-by-case basis, but our trainers are already making breakthroughs in just the few weeks the dogs have been here. It’s really amazing to watch them working together.

Written by Sandy Miller
Photos by Gary Kalpakoff
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 12:55 PM

Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass

Quote:
cut him some slack, look at his avatar and where he is from...
he doesn't know any better
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Slum Overlord

Sportbike: 03 GSXR 1000, 02 RM250, 03 TTR125L
Years Riding: considerable time
How you found us: install job

I heard this on the radio the other day. I am sure that they will each be put through temperment testing. There are certain periods during puppy development that are crucial in a dogs personality development. Establishment of the pack structure happens early on....

the uncarved stone
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 01:05 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ

Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall

Quote:

apparently they are living with people just fine
i agree i wouldnt mind slapping you either

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Go ahead, I'll catch up

Sportbike: 2013 RM-Z 250
Years Riding: Don't know anymore
How you found us: Saw a sticker on a bike

I have been to Best Friends twice and have volunteered once. My wife and I are taking our niece this year and volunteering. If they determine that the dog can not be adopted out, they will allow the dog to live out the rest of its days at Best Friends. It is a great place. They try and swap young adoptable dogs with old "hard to adopt" dogs at shelters around the country. The old dogs spend the rest of their lives playing at Best Friends.

Last edited by brilama; 02-08-2008 at 01:23 PM.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 02:18 PM
I do it in the dirt!

Sportbike: 05 CRF250R #606, 03 XR70
Years Riding: lots
How you found us: Intarwebz

well, regardless of the ignorant "slap the guy from Indiana" comments...
I stand by my earlier statement.
I don't believe animals can be "rehabilitated" especially those who were raised to kill.

If you disagree, great... but I fail to see the correlation between my avatar/location and my intelligence.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Slum Overlord

Sportbike: 03 GSXR 1000, 02 RM250, 03 TTR125L
Years Riding: considerable time
How you found us: install job

Many reputable dog trainers believe that if a puppy or young dog has ever been attacked by another dog, they will become dog aggressive for the rest of their lives.
The whole Bull Terrier subject is a touchy one and there are passionate people on both sides of it. IMO, having such a dog as the Michael Vick dogs as a family pet would be a potential liability waiting to happen.

the uncarved stone
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't believe animals can be "rehabilitated" especially those who were raised to kill.

If you disagree, great... but I fail to see the correlation between my avatar/location and my intelligence.
Buddy... I am from Indiana...
and something about you just gives me that "thuglife" feeling...
Not sure what it is...
Maybe it's a little bit of a lot of things.

btw. you left me blue rep.. what the hell is blue rep?
Is that what you get when someone with bad karma leaves someone with good karma... karma?
Shouldn't Green and Red make Brown?
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoney View Post
Many reputable dog trainers believe that if a puppy or young dog has ever been attacked by another dog, they will become dog aggressive for the rest of their lives.
The whole Bull Terrier subject is a touchy one and there are passionate people on both sides of it. IMO, having such a dog as the Michael Vick dogs as a family pet would be a potential liability waiting to happen.
Personally I would be leary if I had small children, or even worse small dogs...
Now all that said, dog owners come in all shapes and sizes...
Even if a dog is aggressive in some way shape or form, doesn't mean it cant live out a happy full life..

Maybe it is just dog aggressive, or male aggressive, or female aggressive.. Some dogs have aversions to different ethnicities... Whether or not they grew up in a horrible environment...

Maybe a dog aggressive dog could go to an owner who has no other dogs.. or no family..

Just putting all of them to death because it is possible that they may do something.. Strikes me as wrong...
I know that we as humans are god..
and we determine what animals or species on this planet live or die...
I still don't really agree with that... and if you call me a hippie..

Maybe some day we will be fair about it... exterminate the extra poor people.. we need some to pick up after us.. but.. other than that.. shit.. they breed to fast.. and some of them are violent and take drugs... You know.. Lets just go ahead and get rid of all of them.. Safer than waiting around for one of them to do something stupid...

Also remember, not all of these are fighting dogs..
I know at least one of them was a female dog (they said all her teeth were remove so she couldnt bite back during forced mating - shit.. the more i read about michael vick the more I hope he gets anal raped by a splintery 2x4 in prison)

I don't know... Seems to me more people than not say give the dogs a chance... THe shelter says they are doing very well... and.. no matter what we say.. it's going to happen anyway.. the 800lb gorilla (peta) in the room already tried to order them dead.. if they couldn't.. wel.. nobody on here is going to..

I am sure that this organization will find good homes for the dogs, and will be more than careful in their selection.. They know as well as we do that the media will be waiting for something to go wrong... It'd be a great story for the media.. and a horrible one for pitbull owners and other bully breed owners all over the states...

I imagine there are a lot of people in this world who have a strong enough temperament to handle a powerful dog such as these.. You don't have to beat a dog to be it's master, or have it respect you.. Treat it well and be firm.. Dogs have that pack mentality coded into their dna from millions of years of their evolution... It is why they were domesticated and became our pet/companion animals...

/rant over
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Quote:
Buddy... I am from Indiana...
and something about you just gives me that "thuglife" feeling...
Not sure what it is...
Maybe it's a little bit of a lot of things.

btw. you left me blue rep.. what the hell is blue rep?
Is that what you get when someone with bad karma leaves someone with good karma... karma?
Shouldn't Green and Red make Brown?
It just means the rep doesn't count, I think.

I'm all about making fun of Hoosiers though. (see current location)
he does make a point. Can a dog thats raised to fight like this be rehabbed? I'm not so sure they can.
I definitley DISAGREE that they should be put down. I'm glad there are shelters that will at least give these dogs a chance. Kudos to all those volunteering to help these pooches out.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
It just means the rep doesn't count, I think.

I'm all about making fun of Hoosiers though. (see current location)
he does make a point. Can a dog thats raised to fight like this be rehabbed? I'm not so sure they can.
I definitley DISAGREE that they should be put down. I'm glad there are shelters that will at least give these dogs a chance. Kudos to all those volunteering to help these pooches out.
Well...
I tried to give you rep for the post.
but...
says I have to spread it around a bit before I give you any more...
So.. Guess it'll have to wait..
Till then.. consider this a rep raincheck
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Failed rehab

Quote:
Well...
I tried to give you rep for the post.
but...
says I have to spread it around a bit before I give you any more...
So.. Guess it'll have to wait..
Till then.. consider this a rep raincheck
I'll mark it down in Rep Accounts Recievable.

I'd like to return the rep point, but I'm in a similar predicament. a HUGE +1 that the "kill 'em all" approach is not right. Give these dogs a chance based on their individual temperment.
And as sad as it might be, I'm on the same page about the truck bearing down on my dog v. the stranger. Dunno why, but I'm pretty sure I'd be snatching up little Diesel, even if he does like chewing up pens leaving ginormous permanent ink stains on the carpet.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'll mark it down in Rep Accounts Recievable.

I'd like to return the rep point, but I'm in a similar predicament. a HUGE +1 that the "kill 'em all" approach is not right. Give these dogs a chance based on their individual temperment.
And as sad as it might be, I'm on the same page about the truck bearing down on my dog v. the stranger. Dunno why, but I'm pretty sure I'd be snatching up little Diesel, even if he does like chewing up pens leaving ginormous permanent ink stains on the carpet.
OMG..
Same thing just happened to me...
Wife is in Tampa all week (well.. till tonight now)
and.... my little izzy got ahold of a new (read very full of ink) uniball...
I guess the most comfortable place to eat it would have to be the bed right?
on top of the duvet, containing the brand new king size white down comforter my mom just bought us for xmas... ugh) [email protected]$#@!
The duvet stopped the majority of it... Some got thru...
That was a nice call to have to make...

See I stick my neck out for this dog.. She always wants to put her in her cage (when we go out etc..).. and I always say "leave her out.. she's a good dog" well.. She is making my job of maintaining her freedom harder and harder.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Failed rehab

Quote:
OMG..
Same thing just happened to me...
Wife is in Tampa all week (well.. till tonight now)
and.... my little izzy got ahold of a new (read very full of ink) uniball...
I guess the most comfortable place to eat it would have to be the bed right?
on top of the duvet, containing the brand new king size white down comforter my mom just bought us for xmas... ugh) [email protected]$#@!
The duvet stopped the majority of it... Some got thru...
That was a nice call to have to make...

See I stick my neck out for this dog.. She always wants to put her in her cage (when we go out etc..).. and I always say "leave her out.. she's a good dog" well.. She is making my job of maintaining her freedom harder and harder.
Why do they like pens???

I was in the same position w/ Diesel. The GF wanted to continue having him sleep in the crate (he actually likes his crate, we've never used it for punishment.) I said, "let him out, he'll be good" Now the little bastard has taken it upon himself to make sleeping arrangements right in between us.

post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Why do they like pens???

I was in the same position w/ Diesel. The GF wanted to continue having him sleep in the crate (he actually likes his crate, we've never used it for punishment.) I said, "let him out, he'll be good" Now the little bastard has taken it upon himself to make sleeping arrangements right in between us.
Mine likes her crate too.. Well I guess to a point..
She goes in and out. the door is usually open..
But she likes to be with us.. she doesn't necessarily have to be right next to.. but almost always in the same room.
She very rarely will sleep in the bed if we are both here.. She has her own little memory foam bed we got for her at target.. it slides under our platform bed - we pull it out and night and thats her bed...
THe wife always wants her to come up and cuddle before bed.. so we generally grab her.. bring her into bed for 5-10 minutes of petting and then she decides it's time to go down to her bed and get some sleep... i have had her fall asleed on her back, on my arm before.. it's like the sweetest thing ever.. I probably laid in that position careful not to move for 2 hours before i fell asleep.. i woke up with her head still on my arm in the morning..
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 06:58 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Quote:

I like the rep message. I'll be careful what I wish for then, lmao.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

SI made front page of digg today...
What happened to Vicks dogs...
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

To all those "they should all be put down" people... Looks like maybe not..
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 03:57 AM
Ride Naked

Sportbike: z1000
Years Riding: divide by zero error
How you found us: Panda Express

Send a message via AIM to mac11
Quote:
SI made front page of digg today...
What happened to Vicks dogs...
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

To all those "they should all be put down" people... Looks like maybe not..
I don't agree with just killing them off but I really think placing them in individual homes is a bad idea.

It's great that some of them are doing well right now. But when dogs get older some get a bad hip and some lose their mind and bite people. I had to pull my cousins dog off him one time a few years ago.

Dogs do not have the same cognitive thought process or capacity for reasoning as humans do. They awill still default to instinct in a much different way than a human will.

And to say that just because I don't have little kids in my home makes it ok for me to have a dog like this is a bit naive. My neighbors on both sides have little kids and so do most of the people in the subdivision I live in. Dogs get out of fences or through a door left carelessly cracked open by a friend, relative etc that is not used to having a dog or any of thousands of other ways. It just happens.

One of my neighbors has kids that come up to my fence and tease my greyhounds. They are probably the most good natured dogs I have ever seen but what if they weren't? If those dogs got lose one day and even just nipped at those kids fingers do you think I would get any slack from the parents? Even though they are the retarded fuckers that don't pay attention to and let their 2-3 year old kids do that I am sure I would have a shit storm on my hands and they would want the dog(s) put down.

Some things are just a bad idea. This sounds like one of them.

Quote:
Oh he can drive. He can drive beyond the limits of the tires, the engine, the car or anything else.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Mac

I had a lot more to say but baby just woke up
I'll reply with a quote written by someone who was much better spoken than you or I

I would bet 90% out there recognize it

Quote:
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 11:54 AM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
Quote:

would love peta to get sued over that.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

found myself stuck on Mark Twains dog quote page.. Here are some of the ones I liked

Quote:

By what right has the dog come to be regarded as a "noble" animal? The more brutal and cruel and unjust you are to him the more your fawning and adoring slave he becomes; whereas, if you shamefully misuse a cat once she will always maintain a dignified reserve toward you afterward — you will never get her full confidence again.

Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.

I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the "lower animals" (so called) and contrasting them with the traits and dispositions of man. I find the result humiliating to me.

Of all the creatures, man is the most detestable. Of the entire brood, he is the only one that possesses malice. He is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain. The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to the other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong proves his moral inferiority to any creature that cannot.

When a man's dog turns against him it is time for a wife to pack her trunk and go home to mama.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Zydrate addict

Sportbike: no more riding for me :(
Years Riding: ridin what?
How you found us: I lost a bet, this was my punishment

Send a message via AIM to Piercedqt78
The show "DogTown" shows the progress of the Vick dogs, it's really amazing. It's on NGC.

I don't ride, I cook!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode