new amp, box won't work... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
A to B is for Amatuers

Sportbike: 2 Wheeled Junk
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: BWA

Send a message via AIM to goof4080 Send a message via Yahoo to goof4080
new amp, box won't work...

i recently picked up a Kenwood 600W amp that was running the same punch 12's bridged, and wired parallel. it was working fine when they were removed. now they are in my car that the system had worked fine a year ago, but when reinstalled the amp is barely able to push any sound thru the subs... help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
I assume when you say "barely able to push" that it is making sound, meaning the amp is getting power.

I'd start by checking +/- hookups to make sure everything is wired properly. Then, I'd check them again.

Also, I assume the settings on your amp are close to correct, or at least close enough to get some sound (high/low pass filters and such).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
A to B is for Amatuers

yeah the settings should all be correct and the plus minus should be correct but i know icehouse never pulled the subs out and switched them. i guess i could cross them the other way.

since i have spare parts laying around i've tried, a different amp, different power wire, different ground wire, different ground locations. the amp light turns on, and the sound that comes out is just barely audible. i'm gonna try a different fuse right now. and i've tried powering both or just one sub at a time.
my head unit has a sub-preout and those settings are set approiately as well.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Clever Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof4080 View Post
yeah the settings should all be correct and the plus minus should be correct but i know icehouse never pulled the subs out and switched them. i guess i could cross them the other way.

since i have spare parts laying around i've tried, a different amp, different power wire, different ground wire, different ground locations. the amp light turns on, and the sound that comes out is just barely audible. i'm gonna try a different fuse right now. and i've tried powering both or just one sub at a time.
my head unit has a sub-preout and those settings are set approiately as well.
Try just running wires directly to one of the sub terminals and make sure the sub and amps both are working. Turn the gain down so it doesn't blow the woofer if it is too much power. If that works, then I'd focus on wiring. If not, umm...I'll think of something

Quote:
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 11:58 PM

I worked for quite a few years as a car audio manager for a big box retailer before I wised up and got the hell out of retail LOL
Now I get to fix the locomotives that Dave13 keeps breaking

I can tell you from past experience there is nothing more frustrating then finishing an amp installation hooking the subs up turning everything on and getting no sound out of the subs. I know you said you checked the radio does it have a dedicated sub woofer pre-out? if so is it possible that that pre-out is either turned off or turned down? Sadly I have been burned by that before and it sucks, you tear everything apart and finally realize that the sub pre-out is turned off in the radio menu. Next I would check the box if you have a volt/ohm meter you can check the subs right at the terminal cups they should read about 4 ohms, or the alternative is take an ordinary 9 volt battery run a small piece of speaker wire from the terminal cup of the woofer and tap it to the + and - on the battery the speaker should make a "popping noise" and you will know for certain that you don't have any loose sub wires it doesn't sound like you do since you said you can hear a little bit of music but it doesn't hurt to check.
I hope these things help you on your quest for sound!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 12:13 AM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

get a DMM. See if there is power coming out of the speaker terminals on the amp. FYI, the power will be AC so don't forget to check the setting on the DMM. it should go up and down as you move the gain.

you never said what impedance the subs are, so it could read 4 ohms, it could read 2. or really anything. either way, the DMM can check that as well. if you have 4 ohm coils, they won't read 4 ohms. most likely 3.8 ohms. if you move the cone even a little the ohms will go all over the place. that is a good sign.

you say the subs are briged and parallel. that doesn't make sense. you bridge the amp and run it to subs that are wired in parallel. without knowing what your subs are, they could be wired incorrectly. if the amp is bridged, you want a 4 ohm load. each sub would have to have dual 4 ohm coils wired in series. then wire the two subs in parallel for 4 ohms.

i hope that wasn't too confusing for you.

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
A to B is for Amatuers

so my sub-preout was bad, so i switched to rear preout and it now it's great.

i thought i was gonna have to whoop icehouses ass for a min. haha
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
A to B is for Amatuers

btw, THANK YOU everyone, great insight, a few things that haven't run thru my mind. the math in the electronics is something i've resisted learning (no pun intended) but if i ever go more professional in my next system i'll ask somebodies help.

btw, don't think there is a way to turn off my sub pre-out but who knows....sony xplod head unit from about 8 yrs ago, btw.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 11:31 AM

Sportbike: N/A
Years Riding: N/A
How you found us: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatFitz9 View Post
get a DMM. See if there is power coming out of the speaker terminals on the amp. FYI, the power will be AC so don't forget to check the setting on the DMM. it should go up and down as you move the gain.

you never said what impedance the subs are, so it could read 4 ohms, it could read 2. or really anything. either way, the DMM can check that as well. if you have 4 ohm coils, they won't read 4 ohms. most likely 3.8 ohms. if you move the cone even a little the ohms will go all over the place. that is a good sign.

you say the subs are briged and parallel. that doesn't make sense. you bridge the amp and run it to subs that are wired in parallel. without knowing what your subs are, they could be wired incorrectly. if the amp is bridged, you want a 4 ohm load. each sub would have to have dual 4 ohm coils wired in series. then wire the two subs in parallel for 4 ohms.

i hope that wasn't too confusing for you.
Do you do this professionally? I have a 2007 Monte Carlo, and didn't want to throw a complete system in it, so two days after I bought it, I put Infinity 6 1/2'' Components in the doors an Infinity 6''x9''s in the rear deck. Well lately I've wanted more out of them, so I'm thinking about puttng an amp in for them. I have a 4 channel Audiobahn, not sure if that's what I'd want to use, but I have it just laying around. Would you recommend something different? Also, if you do, do this professionally what kind of an estimate can you give me for installation, wires and all.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 11:53 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Goof, was that Kenwood/2X12 sub box on Craigs list?

I was looking for a guitar 2X12 cabinet and I saw that one. Small world.

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Clever Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Frost View Post
Do you do this professionally? I have a 2007 Monte Carlo, and didn't want to throw a complete system in it, so two days after I bought it, I put Infinity 6 1/2'' Components in the doors an Infinity 6''x9''s in the rear deck. Well lately I've wanted more out of them, so I'm thinking about puttng an amp in for them. I have a 4 channel Audiobahn, not sure if that's what I'd want to use, but I have it just laying around. Would you recommend something different? Also, if you do, do this professionally what kind of an estimate can you give me for installation, wires and all.
Hook 2 channels up the front speakers and hook the other two up to a sub

Quote:
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
A few questions I would have for you if I still work in big box retail doing installs would be....
You say you want more out of your speakers? in what aspect, do you want them to be louder? Or are you trying to get more bass out of them?
If you want them louder then yes an amp would help, of course if your looking for more bass then your best bet is to add a subwoofer since a regular speaker really isn't designed to produce bass like a subwoofer can. You can probably get away with using the Audiobahn amp especially since you already have it only thing is does it have any high level inputs? If I remember correctly it should but doesn't hurt to double check. If I were to recommend a different amp it would probably be MTX I have always been a fan of there amps I think they sound good. Wires and all will really depend on where you buy them from you obviously don't want cheap crappy wires but you also don't need the 1000 dollar wires either LOL. I'm gonna guess since you have infinity speakers and an Audiobahn amp did you buy all your stuff from Circuit City? Just Curious
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudedog74 View Post
A few questions I would have for you if I still work in big box retail doing installs would be....
You say you want more out of your speakers? in what aspect, do you want them to be louder? Or are you trying to get more bass out of them?
If you want them louder then yes an amp would help, of course if your looking for more bass then your best bet is to add a subwoofer since a regular speaker really isn't designed to produce bass like a subwoofer can. You can probably get away with using the Audiobahn amp especially since you already have it only thing is does it have any high level inputs? If I remember correctly it should but doesn't hurt to double check. If I were to recommend a different amp it would probably be MTX I have always been a fan of there amps I think they sound good. Wires and all will really depend on where you buy them from you obviously don't want cheap crappy wires but you also don't need the 1000 dollar wires either LOL. I'm gonna guess since you have infinity speakers and an Audiobahn amp did you buy all your stuff from Circuit City? Just Curious
Actually, the amp I did, like 4-5 years ago, but the speakers I went and listened to there, but bought them online for almost half the price. The bass response on them is better than I had hoped for, however, I like my music louder. It's not that I listen to my music at crazy volume, it's just that the factory stereo is EXTREMELY quite. This is the first car I've had without a full system in almost ten years, and the reason being, is I am trying to keep it as simple and stock as possible. But as it is, I have the stereo up, to about 98% volume wise, just to be at a comfortable level, but when a good song comes on and I want to blast it, I have no more volume, lol. I miss having the deep bass of subs, I'm just trying to be simple, but I don't want to sacrifice too much. The Infiniti's perform very well, and I'm very pleased, now I just need a little more volume.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 09:58 PM

thats cool only reason I asked if you bought the stuff from CC is I know that is the gear they sold and they are the "big box retailer" I used to work for hehe
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 10:03 PM

sounds like adding the 4 channel amp would be a great start for now then maybe a single sub to give that full all around sound in the future. Hope this info helps
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 10:06 PM

It did, thank you!
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 10:38 PM
How you like me now?

Sportbike: 06GSXR1000 totalled, wife's GS500
Years Riding: since Friday
How you found us: voices in my head told me

Send a message via Yahoo to Bratva5
Don't feel like reading the whole post, but check for the levels as your old head unit might've had a higher RCA voltage output, so you would have to adjust the level accordingly. Also check to make sure the ground is 0 Ohm. Also double check that the subs are wired in paralel and not series, just put an Ohm meter on the leads of the box when they are disconnected from amp. If it reads 8 Ohm or something high then it's prolly series. I assume your subs are 4 Ohm or lower so in paralel it should be around 2 Ohm.

Russ
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Lick Me

Sportbike: '01 sv650s, CRF 70
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: from moparboyy

Send a message via AIM to HeavyHand
does your amp go to 11?

-Nick
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

Quote:
Just an avid DIY'er

personally, I wouldn't recommend Audiobahn. If you already have it though, hook it up. It should help. If you plan on having someone else install it, I would guess they would charge about 100 bux. I really don't know much about what places charge though as I do my installs at home.

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode