Officer from DC Beltway motorcycle chase being charged... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes
 
Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 326
           
Officer from DC Beltway motorcycle chase being charged...

Remember the DC Beltway accident from last year that killed two people when the LEO tried to ram a speeding/fleeing motorcyclist and hit a civilian car? It caused a big stir about whether or not the rider should be charged and who was at fault? (I'm too lazy to dig up the post about it)

Well, the officer is now being charged with vehicular manslaughter:
CNN vid
Washington Post Article

I'm surprised at the reason they're using to justify this. Apparently since the motorcyclist wasn't going fast enough for it to be a felony, the LEO wasn't allowed to engage in a high speed chase and in doing so he was acting recklessly. I'm kind of shocked by the outcome.
norrin316 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Illegitimi non Carborundu
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington Heights, Il
Posts: 7,291
Location: Arlington Heights, Il
Sportbike: That Bike
Years Riding: That Long
How you found us: Google Search for "sexy."
           
Send a message via AIM to Paul Send a message via MSN to Paul Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
Without looking at all the evidence, it seems fair.

2012 Goldwing Owner
2013 Ninja 1000 Owner
2013 Harley Davidson Night Rod Special Owner
Paul is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 03:04 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 798
           
It doesn't give much information, but police are liable for accidents they cause during a police chase. It only says he positioned his car, but it sounds like more happened. It looks like maybe he took it too far. Odds are a dude on a motorcycle speeding isn't going to pose much physical threat to other cars on the road. At the worst the bike puts his bike into the rear bumper of a car and kills himself.
FullThrottleZX is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Serious inquiries only
 
Mort82's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Never-Neverland
Posts: 13,775
Location: Never-Neverland
Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google
           
Send a message via AIM to Mort82
The cops out there are dealing with a different breed of people. I hope this board doesn't go overboard on the police bashing.

That particular area has some of THE WORST crime in the nation, and world.

I'm not defending the cop, I'm just letting you guys know that it I lived and experienced it.
Mort82 is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Administrator
 
HDTony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Plainfield IL
Posts: 45,956
Location: Plainfield IL
Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.
           
Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Election year. he's being the fall guy for his superiors.




HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
HDTony is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Joe
Registered User
 
Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 2,841
Location: Plainfield
Sportbike: 2007 GSX-R600, 2007 KX250F, 2004 YZ450F, 2006 CRF50
Years Riding: As long as I been ridin your mama
How you found us: Joemama
           
Send a message via MSN to Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Joe
This whole situation is just very sad. Lives have been lost and now another life is about to be ruined.
Joe is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Old Squid on a Blade
 
Blade Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Carpentersville
Posts: 9,389
Location: Carpentersville
Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here
           
I go back and forth on LEOs engaged in "high speed' chases. If there is an obvious felony they need liberty (within reason) to go after the perp. If it is based on some misdemeanor offense, I really question it. The safety of the innocent are most important. Also, not to Leo bash, but I've personally seen them do dumb stuff around bikes. Even if there was no danger to others, cutting a bike off at any speed is equal to pulling a gun on the biker. Did the speeding violation warrant deadly force?

Oh, RIP to those that died.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
Blade Runner is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 05:02 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,398
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Election year. he's being the fall guy for his superiors.


Werd
Streaker is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 05:21 PM
G2G
Registered User
 
G2G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 14,287
Location: Chicago
Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom
           
Didi they ever catch the rider???
G2G is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 05:36 PM
bwa
Boom
 
bwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Kalispell, MT
Posts: 13,320
Location: Kalispell, MT
Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc
           
"Police said it started when a Prince George's County police officer spotted a speeding motorcycle and positioned his car to stop it on the Inner Loop. The motorcycle rider swerved in front of a civilian car and sped away, causing the officer's car to hit the civilian's SUV. That car rolled down an embankment onto the Outer Loop, where five other cars crashed into each other. "

So, he was hoping that he'd hit the bike, which than would prevent him from hitting the SUV? yeah, whatever.

Stupid hurts. A guy speeding on a bike does not warrant endangering all those people just to stop him.
bwa is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 326
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
Didi they ever catch the rider???
I don't think they really caught him. Instead I think the rider turned himself in after a few days. So they know who it is, but the rider's not getting charged with anything related to the deaths.
norrin316 is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 06:41 PM
G2G
Registered User
 
G2G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 14,287
Location: Chicago
Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrin316 View Post
I don't think they really caught him. Instead I think the rider turned himself in after a few days. So they know who it is, but the rider's not getting charged with anything related to the deaths.
Wow, this cat is going to have to live with that in his head for the rest of his life. Not good.
G2G is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 06:59 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,398
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
Wow, this cat is going to have to live with that in his head for the rest of his life. Not good.


He'll probably freak out one day and then start shooting people. Seems like every other coward is taking that route.
Streaker is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 07:04 PM
G2G
Registered User
 
G2G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 14,287
Location: Chicago
Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm View Post
He'll probably freak out one day and then start shooting people. Seems like every other coward is taking that route.

Yeah I was thinkin the same thing Jimbo
G2G is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 07:06 PM
bwa
Boom
 
bwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Kalispell, MT
Posts: 13,320
Location: Kalispell, MT
Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
Wow, this cat is going to have to live with that in his head for the rest of his life. Not good.
Live with the fact that the cop was an idiot? No problem.
bwa is offline  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 07:17 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,398
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa View Post
Live with the fact that the cop was an idiot? No problem.
If he could actually look at it that way. I couldn't knowing the only reason it happened was because I was fleeing and alluding the officer.
Streaker is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 07:32 PM
C2M
ǝɹoɯʎuɐ ʞɔnɟ ɐ sǝʌıƃ oɥʍ
 
C2M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Crook county
Posts: 11,372
Location: Crook county
Sportbike: 636/ zzr600/ r6
Years Riding: Since 07
How you found us: bathroom stall
           
Hmmm not enough info here to make a judgement call but i am leaning towards he had a opps moment

go time traveler style and go back in time, fuck his grandma, then shoot forward in time and then fuck his mom. Then return back to present state and call him a the product of two incest whores and hes your son and show video of you plowing the both members of his family. .
C2M is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 01:13 AM
Cruising through life
 
Muskrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 2,175
Location: Chicagoland
Sportbike: '11 Harley VRSCF
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: searched under "degenerates"
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcohenchicago View Post
Without looking at all the evidence, it seems fair.
This statement makes no sense at all... how can you say what seems fair one way or the other if you haven't looked at all the evidence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullThrottleZX View Post
... but police are liable for accidents they cause during a police chase.
Police are not liable for damage/injuries caused due to high speed chases because the person being chased has not been seized under the Fourth Amendment until he is caught. There are numerous legal cases showing this. However, an officer must be in compliance with the state law or department policy, which ever is more strict, in regards to the chase for this to be accurate. In this case it sounds like he went outside the department policy which is why he is criminally liable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa View Post
A guy speeding on a bike does not warrant endangering all those people just to stop him.

+1
Muskrat is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome