Cell Phone Q's - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Zydrate addict

Sportbike: no more riding for me :(
Years Riding: ridin what?
How you found us: I lost a bet, this was my punishment

Send a message via AIM to Piercedqt78
Cell Phone Q's

Dave and I are switching to AT&T next week for our cell service. I'm looking at the Pantech Duo, anyone have one? Feedback? Is there a phone that you would suggest? I would like a camera and a qwerty keyboard. ~Mandy

I don't ride, I cook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

http://www.pantechusa.com/web/guest/duo

Quick link to the phone.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piercedqt78 View Post
Dave and I are switching to AT&T next week for our cell service. I'm looking at the Pantech Duo, anyone have one? Feedback? Is there a phone that you would suggest? I would like a camera and a qwerty keyboard. ~Mandy
My buddy carries it and loves it for texting and the Win OS but says the batt life is good for a day of reg use, 2 of light use

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 02:29 AM
PROBLEM SOLVED!

Sportbike: THA 1
Years Riding: Re-learning every summer.
How you found us: Friend, word of mouf!

Check out www.letstalk.com if you're signing a brand new contract. They've got some insane deals on smartphones. They have the pantech duo listed as $49.95, but free after rebates from AT&T-
http://www.letstalk.com/cell-phones/...viceCorpId=596

I got my HTC Wing for free with a $50 rebate from them. The phone rocks! Some of it's cool features:
-touch screen
-slide out full qwerty keyboard (also has touch screen keyboard)
-record video/take pictures
-wifi
-bluetooth
-GPS enabled
-internet access
-sync email
-MP3 (uses windows mobile 6 -uploads music or vids from PC)
-speaker phone
-came with a removable 1gb micro sd card, screen protector, extra stylus, leather case, earphones.
-battery life is pretty good if you have it on auto standby (usually lasts me at least 2 full days before recharging).

BTW windows mobile is not compatible to watch you tube vids, but I found this website vtap.com, which is basically an all in one web clips site. And check out myxer.com for FREE ringtones (you can even pick which part of the song you want as a ringtone). I signed with t-mobile since they have the cheaper monthly rate for unlimited mobile internet access ($20/month). They basically paid me $50 to own a $300 phone. Before I purchased it, I walked into a t-mobile dealer with a printed ad to see if they can match the price. The store manager was very aware about the website, but the best he can do for me is a $50 rebate, and that's pushing it he says(keep in mind that they have to tax the phone price too). I used to never care for smartphones, but now I don't think I can live without it. I just love technology.

Mark
Team HYPERAKTIV

Disclaimer:
If you don't like the post typed above...
'Ay Naku, 'Tang Ina Mo!'
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
The only thing that bothrs m about those phones is the amount of moving parts when I had my htc 8125 the movement of the screen to reveal the keyboard became very loose after a while.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 09:18 AM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

A few of my friends have that Sony Walkman phone and they love it.
I love my new crackberry; the deal is really good if you're swtching to at&t as a new carrier.
Also I'd suggest nokia. They can really take a beating, in my experience.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 09:20 AM
B.O.B

Sportbike: 'nana.
Years Riding: Look at my join date, ruh-tard.
How you found us: SBN?

Send a message via AIM to EndlessRR
Nokia E62 - Loved it. QWERTY, sturdy, huge screen. Check out the higher versions since the E62 doesn't have a camera

At&T Tilt - Just got it, lovin' it, not as sturdy as the Nokia. QWERTY, touch screen, 3mp camera, a bunch of other chit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G
No one says you have to get drunk everytime you drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodles
Isn't that like having sex and not finishing though?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 10:22 AM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

+1 on Nokia's sturdyness. I drop my phone all the time and so far, so good!

The last Nokia I had, I ran over it with my car. even though the screen broke, it still worked!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 10:30 AM
teets

Sportbike: teets
Years Riding: teets
How you found us: teets

Send a message via AIM to Flounder
My blackberry pearl has been a pretty good fone for me... I got it when it first came out and have beat the living shit out of it since. I even dropped it in the toilet..
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Lemonhead

Sportbike: 07 r6
Years Riding: Not enough, everyday i'm learning.
How you found us: Hooker pointed me here after a BJ

Send a message via AIM to Incubi
I'd read up on the DUO. There has been some issues with it.

PIN: 20e2ecc7
facebook.com/sykim26
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 03:59 PM
VTwin FTW!

Sportbike: 2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Friend

I'd take a look at the 8525. It's only $30.00 more but has WiFi and more talk time. http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...questid=151541

Mike

"Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, sitting on it or trying to get it."
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 02:30 AM
im the greek guy

Sportbike: Currently taking a break
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: the monkey made me do it

Send a message via AIM to Pete The Greek
check out the curve, best buy has it for only 80bucks

sometimes you need to run before you can walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama View Post
CLSB, where you find the truth about fat girls and blow jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
When I got mine it died quickly from playing with it all day, after a while I can make it last the whole day.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 11:03 AM
The Sausage king

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: Since my mid-life crisis
How you found us: Hankered for a hunka cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1DAH View Post
Check out www.letstalk.com if you're signing a brand new contract. They've got some insane deals on smartphones. They have the pantech duo listed as $49.95, but free after rebates from AT&T-
http://www.letstalk.com/cell-phones/...viceCorpId=596
I've read that it takes a very long time to get the rebate from this place. How was your experience? Any problems or delays in getting the rebate?

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 10:34 AM

Sportbike: T509 Speed Triple
Years Riding: A while now
How you found us: google

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessRR View Post

At&T Tilt - Just got it, lovin' it, not as sturdy as the Nokia. QWERTY, touch screen, 3mp camera, a bunch of other chit.
I just got one of these too, I'm liking it so far. Are there any stores around here that carry the mini-usb to standard 3.5mm headphone jack adapter? I'd rather walk into a store and buy it than go to fleabay or some other online shop but it doesn't seem like anyone stocks this stuff.

That shit is so annoying, is it really that hard to put a jack in this thing? Seems like it's the trend with all the new phones, unfortunately.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 10:42 AM
B.O.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I just got one of these too, I'm liking it so far. Are there any stores around here that carry the mini-usb to standard 3.5mm headphone jack adapter? I'd rather walk into a store and buy it than go to fleabay or some other online shop but it doesn't seem like anyone stocks this stuff.

That shit is so annoying, is it really that hard to put a jack in this thing? Seems like it's the trend with all the new phones, unfortunately.
Have you tried those little stands at the malls? Do you know if there's a fix to keep the screen on while talking on the phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G

Quote:
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Have you tried those little stands at the malls? Do you know if there's a fix to keep the screen on while talking on the phone?
Google Kaiser tweak, it's a small program that's got a ton of stuff that you can customize, including a setting to keep the screen on while talking. I also recommend getting the HTC home plugin, it's a much nicer interface than the standard one. It's got a big clock, favorite people, the weather, and music player all on the front screen with big buttons to make it easier to touch.

I've spent the last couple of nights geeking out with this thing, it's my first smartphone/PDA or whatever you call it. Check out howardforums.com or even the ATT.com forums for more.

I'll have to check the mall for an adapter, I haven't tried there yet. I hate the mall.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Thee original azzhole!

Sportbike: 97 900rr-rip 09/09, 69 chevelle SS, & ???
Years Riding: it doesnt matter
How you found us: i see all

Send a message via AIM to Thunderstruck
im looking also to get a new phone and carrier at this point...im tired of nextel's high pricing and want to do more with my phone, but nothing crazy...

i want ability to log onto the web on the phone, but dont want to go to apple/att cause of thier pricing for everything right now...

anyone else reccomend another web based type phone and carrier?...what about t-mobile?

...plus my gf was with me saying "omg slow down, slow down" and I was thinking "Lose annoying squalk box in passenger seat, afford more mods and have less weight in the car and on the back of the bike"...so i dumped her and I'm single again as usual...HERE KITTY KITTY!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
pussy is the root of all evil...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny View Post
mmmm pussy
You dont like me....i dont give a fuck...cause i'll still put ya in the hospital...me tollerating you is all that matters...
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 12:09 PM
A to B is for Amatuers

Sportbike: 2 Wheeled Junk
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: BWA

Send a message via AIM to goof4080 Send a message via Yahoo to goof4080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piercedqt78 View Post
my bro got one a couple months ago, he really likes. he says the slider functions are too easy/ not firm. hard to explain.

He has never mentioned a problem about it and he's been trying to help me with new phone selection so we've been discussing phones rather intensely lately.

it seems nice, but qwerty means you need to have 2 hands to text, but u still have the option of the other flip.

pretty decent tho, accepts microSD up to 2 mb.

i'm actually due for an upgrade and can't figure out what to get. i really want to find a flip phone that also slides to a qwerty. (and has an antennae for me to hold it in my teeth while my hands are busy.)

anyways hope this helps.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 12:10 PM
A to B is for Amatuers

Sportbike: 2 Wheeled Junk
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: BWA

Send a message via AIM to goof4080 Send a message via Yahoo to goof4080
BTW i absolutely hate ATT's online phone selection guide!!!!!!

user un-friendly FTW!
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 12:53 PM
B.O.B

Quote:
Google Kaiser tweak, it's a small program that's got a ton of stuff that you can customize, including a setting to keep the screen on while talking. I also recommend getting the HTC home plugin, it's a much nicer interface than the standard one. It's got a big clock, favorite people, the weather, and music player all on the front screen with big buttons to make it easier to touch.

I've spent the last couple of nights geeking out with this thing, it's my first smartphone/PDA or whatever you call it. Check out howardforums.com or even the ATT.com forums for more.

I'll have to check the mall for an adapter, I haven't tried there yet. I hate the mall.
Holy chit! That's bad ass! Imma do more research before i start dowloading stuff. I've only had the phone for about 1 week (got it earlier but i sent tjhe 1st one back since it had some issues) so i'm still getting used to it. Is there a way this program can be sent via BT? I'm too dumb to understand what it says on howardforums lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G

Quote:
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 01:11 PM
teets

Sportbike: teets
Years Riding: teets
How you found us: teets

Send a message via AIM to Flounder
Quote:
I'm too dumb lol.
Yes, yes you are
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Holy chit! That's bad ass! Imma do more research before i start dowloading stuff. I've only had the phone for about 1 week (got it earlier but i sent tjhe 1st one back since it had some issues) so i'm still getting used to it. Is there a way this program can be sent via BT? I'm too dumb to understand what it says on howardforums lol.
I'm not a huge tech guy but the stuff has been pretty easy so far. I believe you can do a sync through bluetooth, or just use the USB cable. You need to load the CD that came with your phone onto your computer. Truthfully the easiest way I found to load the stuff was to download it to the desktop and then transfer the programs directly to the microSD card (mine came with a little USB thing to put it in). Then put the card back into the phone and find the file using the file explorer. Tap on it and it'll run/load. Look for .cab files, those load up without any problems.

Apparently there are huge communities of geeks that love these windows mobile devices and there's a ton of programs for them. I can appreciate that kind of geekiness, especially when they post the stuff up for free!
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 06:52 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED!

Sportbike: THA 1
Years Riding: Re-learning every summer.
How you found us: Friend, word of mouf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman View Post
I've read that it takes a very long time to get the rebate from this place. How was your experience? Any problems or delays in getting the rebate?
No problems with the rebate, I got it within about a month and a half. To my surprise, the rebate came directly from t-mobile, not from the website. It seems that after you get the phone and they set you up with the carrier you choose, you deal with the carrier after that point.

Quote:

Don't know of any stores that carry it. Got mine through daydeal.com and had no issues whatsoever. I recommend getting the one with the mic., and this $5 wire with 2-3.5mm jack ends from radioshack. Now I can plug in the phone through the aux in the car stereo...now i can use the phone as an MP3 or take calls through the car speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck View Post
im looking also to get a new phone and carrier at this point...im tired of nextel's high pricing and want to do more with my phone, but nothing crazy...

i want ability to log onto the web on the phone, but dont want to go to apple/att cause of thier pricing for everything right now...

anyone else reccomend another web based type phone and carrier?...what about t-mobile?
This is the main reason I signed with t-mobile. They have the cheaper monthly internet plan for only $20/month.

Mark
Team HYPERAKTIV

Disclaimer:
If you don't like the post typed above...
'Ay Naku, 'Tang Ina Mo!'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode