Lasik-pros, cons, advice. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass

Lasik-pros, cons, advice.

I did a search but only found Silentalero's threads and old threads from 2006 and older. I would like up to date info since these are my eyes and maybe someone else who's thinking about it as well.

Please let me know what you guys think about it, advice, do's and dont's, where you've had it done and how much you paid and anything else you can think of.

I'm sick and tired of wearing clumsy glasses and contacts irritate my eyes so please help me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 06:28 PM
I wok!

Sportbike: 2006 felt f65 and a 07 STI
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: wtf is this shit...

my take on it is this, since i have -1 and -1.25 i dont think its worth the slight convenience lasik might bring. I can still get along fine without my glasses since my prescription is weak. There is a chance that it would mess up my eyes worse than they already are so i wont risk the chance.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 06:35 PM

Sportbike: 2005 busa; Husky 610E
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: Jesus

I love mine and it has been a few years. I had -7 and now have 20-20 in one eye and a little better in the other. The procedure was totally painless and took about 30 seconds per eye. I went to a really good doctor, his name escapes me right now, and it was really expensive, around $4500. From what I remember my guy and Doctor Kraft are the top 2 guys. My guy has been doing it since the very beginning and flat out said that yes, complications are possible but he has never had anyone loose his/her vision. Who ever you go to read up about them and make sure they are using the latest technology.

EDIT - This is my guy, Dr Epstein.

http://www.chicagocornea.com/html/about.html#epstein

You know the Germans, if you donīt join the party they come and get you.

Last edited by leavundst; 02-18-2008 at 06:51 PM.
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 06:36 PM

Sportbike: 2005 busa; Husky 610E
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: Jesus

Also find out about financing and warranty. I financed for a year with zero interest and have a 5 year warranty. If I need touch up within those 5 years it's only $200 per eye.

You know the Germans, if you donīt join the party they come and get you.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 06:41 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

My boss got it done and he loves it. I was asking him about it, since Jeff's been thinking of it as well. He said that you need to really do your research for the best doc, and ask him the hard questions. For example, what's the failure percentage? What are those failures? Why? What happens if he screws up? (sometimes the doctor is contracted separately from the eye center to limit liability) How many of these has be performed? (It should be THOUSANDS).
I would keep asking for recommendations from people-- one name will surface as the best.

Also make sure they are board certified.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

I had wavefront done to one eye (long story). I still wear glasses at work.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice so far guys, keep it coming.

Dave, what's a wavefront???
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Jewrassic Park Runaway

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha FZ1 Sleeper
Years Riding: I quit smoking 6 years ago
How you found us: www.chicagorussianriders.com

I had lasik done 1 year ago - went to ENH, this is the doctror: http://enh.org/apps/findadoctor/doct...=1462&lid=1789

She is a chief of ophtalmology department of Northwestern University school of medicine. It was expensive - $5000, but from -7 to 20/20 - totally worth it!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 06:17 AM

Sportbike: Superhawk
Years Riding: 30 years
How you found us: dont know his screen name

I had my Lasik done about 3 years ago now and I loved it. It took all of about 8 minutes in the room with the laser and I could see 20/20. I went to a guy in Arlington Heights, Dr. Koziol. Hes at Arlington Heights Rd and Cedar, just North of Golf Rd. He was one of the guys that invented the laser used. The patent is on his wall. He was pretty great and who better to go to than the dude that invented the laser used. He wasn't cheap though. It cost me about $3k. I would do it again.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 06:23 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
I had wavefront done to one eye (long story). I still wear glasses at work.
Dave is that like a map dot finger print....I had that had the surgery about 8 years ago....I have a very weak prescription, I wear them when driving at night....in the rain....other than that vision is fine. I only had one eye done...I still don't need bi-focals for reading...and I'm on the back end of 50....everyone in my family have been wearing bi-focals since their 40's

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 06:28 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Phil cause I'll know you'll ask....

http://www.emedicine.com/oph/topic95.htm

http://www.allaboutvision.com/eye-exam/wavefront.htm

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

werd
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 07:03 AM
RIP Ashwin

Sportbike: '07 CBR600RR
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: a friend/member

Send a message via Yahoo to Nessey
All I have to say is do it! I'm going to do it in the next few weeks and I'm going to the same place Silent went, Lasik Plus. I have an initial appointment next week. (I was supposed to get this done last year buy my company wouldn't let me take a vacation day for it!) I'll go with you, Phil!

Nessey
2007 CBR 600 RR
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 07:12 AM
CUBS fan, not a SOX hater

Sportbike: F3
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: AJCrowley/NESBA

Send a message via Yahoo to JackPot
My friend had it done last year. Went to a top opthamologist at University of Chicago. She was warned of the possible complications before hand, and unlucky for her...she has one. She sees halo's. They did a corrective procedure, and it's a little better..but still there. That being said she told me she would still do it again! The improvement (even with the halo's) was so worth it.

I want to do it, but apparently can't. I'm severely far sighted (+5 in my right eye, +7 in my left).

Nicole
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessey View Post
All I have to say is do it! I'm going to do it in the next few weeks and I'm going to the same place Silent went, Lasik Plus. I have an initial appointment next week. (I was supposed to get this done last year buy my company wouldn't let me take a vacation day for it!) I'll go with you, Phil!
I dunno bout Lasik Plus, seems like SA had some complications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackPot View Post
My friend had it done last year. Went to a top opthamologist at University of Chicago. She was warned of the possible complications before hand, and unlucky for her...she has one. She sees halo's. They did a corrective procedure, and it's a little better..but still there. That being said she told me she would still do it again! The improvement (even with the halo's) was so worth it.

I want to do it, but apparently can't. I'm severely far sighted (+5 in my right eye, +7 in my left).

Nicole
I am scared to death of losing my sight but it seems like lasik is worth the risk if you go to the right doctor. I fear heights, drowning and losing my sight.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 07:48 AM

I was instructed not to get it because the pressure "in my eye" was already unusually high and thinning the cornea would substantially increase my risk of glaucoma...

Definitely talk to a/your opthamologist before making a decision. I'm not discounting the doctors who perform lasik, but they have an incentive to perform the surgery which could be in conflict with your long term health.

Last edited by kcaarider; 02-19-2008 at 07:51 AM.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

I had it done a little over 2 years ago. It's worth every penny, but I got a discount since my friend works at the place. You should get checked out before even getting too into it. Your cornea has to have a minimum thickness to get the surgery.

My doctor - Dr. Jackson of Jackson Eye in Lake Villa. It's quite the haul, but he is very good. He has done LASIK for a long time. Had a few high profile clients, but he isn't cheap. my discounted rate was still 2k total. Still nothing compared to what you spend if you don't get it done. contacts and glasses can really add up.

Google for more links, his name is around.
http://www.allaboutvision.com/lasik-...go-jackson.htm
http://www.mjlasikdoc.com/

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 09:09 AM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

I just had it done a month ago at Kraff Eye Institute in the loop. Dr Colman Kraff did it. It cost $4200 for both eyes with the custom.

There is some lingo you need to know. Standard lasik fixes 98% of your vision (for normal cases). Custom is extra and it fixes the 2% that's left over. If you have mild vision problems they might only recommend custom.

In any event, they will probably always push custom correction because it means bigger profits. Hell they already have you on the table and all they have to do is pay the licensing at that point.

So you'll probably elect to have lasik and most likely custom correction. Most people choose this route according to the Drs.

Anyway, my story goes that my wife is an employee at a major Chicago hospital and she was sent an email saying family members could get a $1000 discount. I went for the eval and they considered me a candidate.

I decided to go to Kraff after reading a lot of good reports on him here (the previous forums). I was surprised when he told me I wasn't a lasik candidate. When I told him about the other Drs opinion he was shocked. I later found out that I was working with a resident and not the top guy.

Anyway, Dr Kraff saw me on the elevator on the way out of my initial consultation and told me that I had a tricky case and that anytime you have a but, you must err on the side of caution. I liked that he was willing to tell me what was best for my case and not his pocketbook.

Anyways, what Dr Kraff recommended was PRK which is an older version of lasik that isn't done all that often anymore because it takes 3+ months to heal, though its less expensive.

I needed PRK because I had an a-symetrical astigmatism and Dr Kraff said that in all his years of experience its his opinion that cases like mine who have lasik often experience halos 5-10 years down the road due to the way the eye heals. This isn't the case with PRK. So he asked if I was comfortable with the 3 month healing period.

So its been about a month now. I have zero halo problems. My farsightedness is better now then with my glasses and that was better in a week. My nearsightedness took about 2 weeks to get to a point where I could read a novel without getting tired.

By tired I mean, you can't focus your eyes anymore.

Some things to think about:

1. Some of the negative press you hear about is because many Drs show you videos and pass out a lot of literature about the side effects. Keep in mind they are real side effects but they are a minority of cases. They want you to know about them up front because this is an elective procedure.

2. Take advantage of pre-tax medical programs offered by your employer.

3. When taking advantage of pre-tax programs you may elect to have the procedure done in Jan (or as soon as you are eligable). I did this and am paying for it with each paycheck until the end of 2008.

However, winter is a crappy time to have dry eyes and that's one of the immediate side effects that usually goes away. Waiting until wetter weather might be a better idea IMO. FYI, the more tears you have the faster you heal.

4. Tell your Dr who you work for and where you heard about him. Dr Kraff is expensive but when I told him who I worked for he knocked off 20% without proof of employement. This price cut made the cost only $200 more than the quote from the other guy. I also told him I heard about him from this website so perhaps someone should call him and ask if he would care to sponsor the website with an ad? Seems like a no brainer.

5. Final reason to go to Dr Kraff: He did the Cow (Mancow). He's done many celebs. Oh ya, and is it just me or are all the assistants hot?

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!

Last edited by chibeemer; 02-19-2008 at 09:25 AM.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 09:18 AM

I had my eyes corrected from Lasik Plus in Oakbrook on January 18th. Cost was $4K for the procedure and it's 12 months interest free financing if you want it. No further discounts for paying in cash so I took the interest free for a year. I was -9 in both eyes and am now 20/20. My eyes are still healing so I might get closer to 20/10 at the best which is amazing.

Doctor Horn did my surgery and I'd highly recommend him and Lasik Plus.

Someone mentioned they have a 5 year warranty with their procedure. Lasik plus gives you a lifetime warranty so touchups are free forever as long as you go to your scheduled eye doctor yearly for normal vision checkups. They are also nationwide so if you ever moved you can still visit any office.

Procedure was painful for me for some reason I had sally eyes cuz it burned like a mofo, but I manned up on the second eye. They had the burning subsided in 10 minutes and then I was good to go. After 3 days I was driving and feeling fine.

Complications are possible but my eyes are not sensitive to light (they said they might be) and I do not see halos at night. Your night vision will not be perfect right away it takes 6-12 months to be perfect. I do get dry eyes in the morning and sometimes at night, but quick drop of the eyedrops solves that problem. I use eyedrops about 3 times daily.

I would have paid 10K for this procedure and would definately do it over again. Not putting contacts in every morning and not wearing glasses is awesome. I put a cost on quality of life and my quality of life has definately improved further that the $4K I will pay for the procedure when the bill comes.

Go get it done you won't regret it.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 09:22 AM

Sportbike: GSXR-1000_many pieces now, GSXR-600_large twisted metal paper wait, fiddy love and only thing left!
Years Riding: just long enough to take a digger...
How you found us: Bozo the Clown

i had it done and i love it, i would do it all over again and pay twice as much if i had to
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 09:51 AM

Sportbike: 01 Giggy 7fidday
Years Riding: been riding your mom for years
How you found us: The hobo on lower wacker sold me the link.

ditto on lasik plus. its been 4 years and my eyes adjusted slightly and everything is free.

Dgrsuspension.com

~ High Performance Coilovers

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine ó itís like watching a car accident in progress. Itís horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you canít help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentalero View Post
ditto on lasik plus. its been 4 years and my eyes adjusted slightly and everything is free.
Didn't you have a fair amount of complications though? What I read in your threads is scaring me away from lasik plus. It seems like Kraff is the way to go especially with his celebrity clientel to boast.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

oh I forgot to mention that my vison is now better than perfect (20/20)

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Seriously?

Sportbike: 06 Gsx-R 600
Years Riding: 4 years
How you found us: Your Mom!

Send a message via AIM to Hunny Send a message via Yahoo to Hunny
My cousin got this done and she's had really bad problems with her eyes. She's had several surgeries to correct her eyes. At first they weren't focusing, then they corrected it, then she couldn't see in light ( like if she went outside in the sun it was to light for her to see ) so she had to wear those old people sunglasses that cover half your face, and then she had more surgeries. I think now finally she is ok, or maybe she just gave up and let her eyes go back to the way they were. It's been a while since I've asked her about it. But other than that, my other cousin got it and she LOVES it, as well as my Aunt. She went in over lunch and came back to work and could already tell the difference. I would really love to do this someday I don't think my eye's are that bad though.

Bikes can be replaced...people can't...ride safe!!
http://public.fotki.com/kemeiz/
Sex is like math... you add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs and pray you don't multiply!
<---- Kristin
UR MOM RACING
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny View Post
My cousin got this done and she's had really bad problems with her eyes. She's had several surgeries to correct her eyes. At first they weren't focusing, then they corrected it, then she couldn't see in light ( like if she went outside in the sun it was to light for her to see ) so she had to wear those old people sunglasses that cover half your face, and then she had more surgeries. I think now finally she is ok, or maybe she just gave up and let her eyes go back to the way they were. It's been a while since I've asked her about it. But other than that, my other cousin got it and she LOVES it, as well as my Aunt. She went in over lunch and came back to work and could already tell the difference. I would really love to do this someday I don't think my eye's are that bad though.
errr.. where did your cousin with the complications go to?
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Seriously?

Sportbike: 06 Gsx-R 600
Years Riding: 4 years
How you found us: Your Mom!

Send a message via AIM to Hunny Send a message via Yahoo to Hunny
No where around here... it was in Florida.

Bikes can be replaced...people can't...ride safe!!
http://public.fotki.com/kemeiz/
Sex is like math... you add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs and pray you don't multiply!
<---- Kristin
UR MOM RACING
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny View Post
No where around here... it was in Florida.
ah ok, thanks. I wonder if it was lasik plus... someone said they're nationwide.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Please pass the trackpipe

Sportbike: That one^^
Years Riding: ..
How you found us: ?

I had an astigmatism and very light prescription (+.75, +1.0), but I couldn't go 30 minutes without my glasses before headaches would ensue.

I had my surgery done at LasikPlus in Naperville, 13 months ago and feel it's some of the best money I've ever spent!

Upside
20/20 vision 24/7
Wearing sunglasses
No more hassling with cleaning, dropping, scratching, fogging glasses
I no longer care if it's raining
Driving the next day without glasses

Downside
Some difficulty with flourescent lighting and LCD projectors (gets better with time)
Minor haloing around stoplights/headlights at night (gets better with time)

The procedure, though scary beforehand, was very quick (less that 20 minutes) and mostly painless (the 4 hours after the procedure sucked pretty bad). Long-term recovery is totally painless. I went to Freddie Spencer riding school a week after my surgery. Even the blowing in-field sand didn't bother me too bad, though I looked stoned outta my gourd by the end of the day.

I funded my surgery through my FSA account, so I saved 30% and the paperwork was a breeze.

Chris
NESBA CR #51
'06 GSXR 600 / '05 CRF250X / '04 CRF 230 / '05 CRF 88

Last edited by TheGrouch; 02-20-2008 at 11:02 AM.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 11:13 AM

Sportbike: 01 Giggy 7fidday
Years Riding: been riding your mom for years
How you found us: The hobo on lower wacker sold me the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrouch View Post

Downside
Some difficulty with flourescent lighting and LCD projectors (gets better with time)
Minor haloing around stoplights/headlights at night (gets better with time)

The procedure, though scary beforehand, was very quick (less that 20 minutes) and mostly painless (the 4 hours after the procedure sucked pretty bad). Long-term recovery is totally painless. I went to Freddie Spencer riding school a week after my surgery. Even the blowing in-field sand didn't bother me too bad, though I looked stoned outta my gourd by the end of the day.

I funded my surgery through my FSA account, so I saved 30% and the paperwork was a breeze.
The halo rings go away within 3 months. Sometimes your eyes will get sensitive to sunlight though. I know there are times outside I still need sunglasses but its a small price to pay to have perfect vision.

Trust me, setup an appt to go talk to them, you wont regret it.

Dgrsuspension.com

~ High Performance Coilovers

Silentedition.com
Quote:
Watching the Cubs lose is the opposite of appreciating a fine wine ó itís like watching a car accident in progress. Itís horrifying, yet gruesomely riveting, and you canít help but watch and sympathize with the poor souls inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
coming to CLSB for relationship advice is like asking fat people in mcdonalds about nutrition.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 11:22 AM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentalero View Post
Trust me, setup an appt to go talk to them, you wont regret it.
Ya at least go in for an initial consultation to see if you qualify to be a candidate.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode