Autism - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Autism

Saw a link to this on digg.. I don't know if anyone out there knows of anyone with this disease, or has any kids with it... In any case.. I found it interesting.. and thought some people here might as well....

Videos and pictures are on the site.. follow the link
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=4311223&page=1

Autism Breakthrough: Girl's Writings Explain Her Behavior and Feelings
Doctors Amazed by Carly Fleishman's Ability to Describe the Disorder From the Inside

Carly Fleischman expresses feelings by typing on her laptop computer. (ABC News) By JOHN MCKENZIE
Feb. 19, 2008

Carly Fleischman has severe autism and is unable to speak a word. But thanks to years of expensive and intensive therapy, this 13-year-old has made a remarkable breakthrough.

You Asked, We Answered: Carly Fleischman, 13, Speaks Out About AutismTONIGHT: Watch "World News with Charles Gibson" tonight, Wed. Feb. 20, at 6:30 p.m. ET, to see Carly's response to the hundreds of emails she's received on our website. Learn what this outpouring of support has meant to this amazing 13-year-old and her family.
Two years ago, working with pictures and symbols on a computer keyboard, she started typing and spelling out words. The computer became her voice.

"All of a sudden these words started to pour out of her, and it was an exciting moment because we didn't realize she had all these words," said speech pathologist Barbara Nash. "It was one of those moments in my career that I'll never forget."

Then Carly began opening up, describing what it was like to have autism and why she makes odd noises or why she hits herself.

"It feels like my legs are on first and a million ants are crawling up my arms," Carly said through the computer.

Carly writes about her frustrations with her siblings, how she understands their jokes and asks when can she go on a date.

"We were stunned," Carly's father Arthur Fleischmann said. "We realized inside was an articulate, intelligent, emotive person that we had never met. This was unbelievable because it opened up a whole new way of looking at her." This is what Carly wants people to know about autism.

Breakthrough: Autistic Teen Finds Voice"It is hard to be autistic because no one understands me. People look at me and assume I am dumb because I can't talk or I act differently than them. I think people get scared with things that look or seem different than them." "Laypeople would have assumed she was mentally retarded or cognitively impaired. Even professionals labelled her as moderately to severely cognitively impaired. In the old days you would say mentally retarded, which means low IQ and low promise and low potential," Arthur Fleischman said.

Therapists say the key lesson from Carly's story is for families to never give up and to be ever creative in helping children with autism find their voice.

"If we had done what so many people told us to do years ago, we wouldn't have the child we have today. We would have written her off. We would have assumed the worst. We would have never seen how she could write these things

how articulate she is, how intelligent she is," the grateful father added.

Autistic Girl Communicates Via Computer"I asked Carly to come to my work to talk to speech pathologists and other therapists about autism," said Nash. "What would you like to tell them? She wrote, 'I would tell them never to give up on the children that they work with.' That kind of summed it up."

Carly had another message for people who don't understand autism.

"Autism is hard because you want to act one way, but you can't always do that. It's sad that sometimes people don't know that sometimes I can't stop myself and they get mad at me. If I could tell people one thing about autism it would be that I don't want to be this way. But I am, so don't be mad. Be understanding."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 04:22 PM
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: 2016 Honda Africa Twin & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires

I saw a short documentary/interview with her. Amazing.

If you ain't with us, then it's just bad news.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

Good luck Carly.

I'm sure alot of people have alot of questions for her. Hopefully, her help can make a difference, understanding Autism.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Sunny and 70

Sportbike: 2008 Tuono 1000 R
Years Riding: 12 years
How you found us: GSXR.com

Autistic kids rock!!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Diane's youngest is autistic...he's also a brilliant artist....and number of the art works in the house was done by Greg.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC1957 View Post
Diane's youngest is autistic...he's also a brilliant artist....and number of the art works in the house was done by Greg.
I did what in your house?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 06:44 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

That's touching... Have they not thought of using the computer before her? Or is she the first one that was able to "speak" thru it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode