locksmith or store to cut ford key? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
locksmith or store to cut ford key?

I am looking for a locksmith or place that can cut a key (and has the blanks) for a 2006 ford truck.

on the PATS system on ford, it has the ability to learn a key if you present the system with two valid keys. in other words, if you take the first key, turn the vehicle to on and off a few times, then do the same thing with the second, and then insert the third key and start the vehicle, its supposed to train the computer to accept that as a valid key.

since I am getting a remote start installed on my new vehicle I need to get a key made. I am hesitant to go to ford and have them charge me $75 to program it when I can go through the steps above. I know that some places can cut and program those keys. Anybody know of one?

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 10:43 AM

Sportbike: 05 CBR600RR
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: CBR Forum

Send a message via AIM to AgentofDarkness
I'm not sure about the programming part, but whenever I need a key cut for my Ninja 250 I head over to Anderson Lock. They have an entire wall of blank keys. The guy at the Kawasaki dealer couldn't cut it so he told me to try Anderson. I would give them a call and see what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
In motorcycle terms, that's like taking your Ducati to a dealer for service, and they hand you back a 1979 backfiring Honda 400 Hawk.. because after all, a bike is a bike.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Buy a key online and take it to a locksmith. Call first to make sure they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentofDarkness View Post
I'm not sure about the programming part, but whenever I need a key cut for my Ninja 250 I head over to Anderson Lock. They have an entire wall of blank keys. The guy at the Kawasaki dealer couldn't cut it so he told me to try Anderson. I would give them a call and see what they say.
i have tested this on taurus's and mustangs in the past, it works
http://www.fordf150.net/howto/patskey.php

<-- Chris

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Buy a key online and take it to a locksmith. Call first to make sure they can.
the only problem is that I don't have enough time, I am scheduled to be at the car place for the remote start / alarm install next friday evening. so im not sure if I order a key if it will get here in time for me to run it to a locksmith.

<-- Chris

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 11:03 AM
The Sausage king

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: Since my mid-life crisis
How you found us: Hankered for a hunka cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post
i have tested this on taurus's and mustangs in the past, it works
http://www.fordf150.net/howto/patskey.php
I was just going to post this link up. Get a locksmith to cut it and program it yourself.

Are you using the key to enable a remote start to work? Maybe you should consider a bypass module for the remote start.
The PATS system is very effective.

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman View Post
I was just going to post this link up. Get a locksmith to cut it and program it yourself.

Are you using the key to enable a remote start to work? Maybe you should consider a bypass module for the remote start.
The PATS system is very effective.

bypass module, do tell.

<-- Chris

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
bypass module, do tell.
I'm reading the posts late in the game however it sounds to me like the reason that you needed the "extra" key in the first place is because whoever was going to install your remote start system was going to use a bypass module that would integrate the key into it such as a "DEI 556UW" in that type your extra key would actually be placed inside of the module. Another type of bypass module that would probably work out better for you because you would not need the "extra" key would be a "DEI 556SW" what makes this module different is that it actually programs just like it was your "extra" key, with out having to go thru the hassle of having a key cut and programed only to be lost in a module. Make sense?
Any alarm/remote start installation place worth it's weight in salt should be able to offer you both types.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 03:58 PM
The Sausage king

PM Sent.

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 04:01 PM
The Sausage king

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudedog74 View Post
I'm reading the posts late in the game however it sounds to me like the reason that you needed the "extra" key in the first place is because whoever was going to install your remote start system was going to use a bypass module that would integrate the key into it such as a "DEI 556UW" in that type your extra key would actually be placed inside of the module. Another type of bypass module that would probably work out better for you because you would not need the "extra" key would be a "DEI 556SW" what makes this module different is that it actually programs just like it was your "extra" key, with out having to go thru the hassle of having a key cut and programed only to be lost in a module. Make sense?
Any alarm/remote start installation place worth it's weight in salt should be able to offer you both types.
+1

I saw this, do you know if this would work like the DEI 556xx brand, Rudedog?
http://www.velocitymotorsport.com/se...ransponder.htm

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 05:35 PM
The Corn Contingency

Sportbike: 954
Years Riding: long enough to know better!
How you found us: Ernie

Quote:
The problem with the 556S is that it could loose its programming, requiring a return trip to the installer. The 556U won't.

If the additional key is being used for a remote start, it doesn't need to be cut to program it through the ignition. I keep Ford keys in stock at my shop for this exact reason and never cut them. If the OP still needs a key, PM me a I can help him out and provide instruction on how to program it without cutting it.

It all goes back together the way it came apart...unless it came apart at redline!
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
+1

I saw this, do you know if this would work like the DEI 556xx brand, Rudedog?
I do believe it would work like the DEI brand but considering it is about the same price as the DEI one I would just go with a tried and true brand if possible.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCustoms View Post
The problem with the 556S is that it could loose its programming, requiring a return trip to the installer. The 556U won't.

If the additional key is being used for a remote start, it doesn't need to be cut to program it through the ignition. I keep Ford keys in stock at my shop for this exact reason and never cut them. If the OP still needs a key, PM me a I can help him out and provide instruction on how to program it without cutting it.
Yes I have heard of the 556S losing it's programing, another thought might be the DEI XK04 that is supposed to be there newest and best bypass.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 10:33 PM
The Corn Contingency

Quote:
Yes I have heard of the 556S losing it's programing, another thought might be the DEI XK04 that is supposed to be there newest and best bypass.
The bypass kit modules are really nice. But, for the extra cost (depending on the price of a key), it isn't necessary.

It all goes back together the way it came apart...unless it came apart at redline!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 10:18 AM
The Sausage king

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCustoms View Post
The bypass kit modules are really nice. But, for the extra cost (depending on the price of a key), it isn't necessary.
But having a programmed key on the vehicle to allow remote start would pretty much cancel out the PATS system as opposed to the module Rudedog suggested, right?
I don't know how easy or hard it is to "hot wire" a car, but I hear that the PATS system is a very effective system. For my money, I would keep that in place.....but I might be misunderstanding what is being suggested.

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
But having a programmed key on the vehicle to allow remote start would pretty much cancel out the PATS system as opposed to the module Rudedog suggested, right?
I don't know how easy or hard it is to "hot wire" a car, but I hear that the PATS system is a very effective system. For my money, I would keep that in place.....but I might be misunderstanding what is being suggested.
I think that with everything being posted about "bypass modules" it can be confusing I will send you a PM if the system allows me to and hopefully it will answer all your questions
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 06:35 PM
The Corn Contingency

Quote:
The module "tricks" the PATS system into thinking there is a key in the ignition while the vehicle is being remote started. Nothing is truly bypassed. The factory anti-theft system remains fully operational.

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
The original procedure works if you have 2 keys.
I only have 1, any local places that will program or provide and program a key aside from the dealer.

The one here quoted me $150
sheesh

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 10:03 PM
A to B is for Amatuers

Sportbike: 2 Wheeled Junk
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: BWA

Send a message via AIM to goof4080 Send a message via Yahoo to goof4080
Quote:
I am looking for a locksmith or place that can cut a key (and has the blanks) for a 2006 ford truck.

on the PATS system on ford, it has the ability to learn a key if you present the system with two valid keys. in other words, if you take the first key, turn the vehicle to on and off a few times, then do the same thing with the second, and then insert the third key and start the vehicle, its supposed to train the computer to accept that as a valid key.

since I am getting a remote start installed on my new vehicle I need to get a key made. I am hesitant to go to ford and have them charge me $75 to program it when I can go through the steps above. I know that some places can cut and program those keys. Anybody know of one?
gotta go to ford and they have the key with the chip in it and then as you said, turn 1, turn 2, and program the 3rd. (i think dealer cost is 20bucks btw)
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Resident Slow guy

those steps only work if you have 2 keys.

post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohfugit View Post
The original procedure works if you have 2 keys.
I only have 1, any local places that will program or provide and program a key aside from the dealer.

The one here quoted me $150
sheesh
what year is the vehicle? Ace hardware can program ford key's if its older then like 02 or 04, I can't remember exactly which.

<-- Chris

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Resident Slow guy

Quote:
what year is the vehicle? Ace hardware can program ford key's if its older then like 02 or 04, I can't remember exactly which.
you only needed 1 key prior to 2001 I think.

Mine is a 2003 exploder and which ACE are you talking about?

The ACE over here can barely cut a regular key much less program one into a vehicle.

I found a guy near Players on Ashland at $90 with him providing the key.
$80 if I provide the key. so far that looks like my least expensive option.

Later I"m going to add a key from a fusion, this has the keyfob built onto the key and after 2 keys you can program them in yourself.

post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
you only needed 1 key prior to 2001 I think.

Mine is a 2003 exploder and which ACE are you talking about?

The ACE over here can barely cut a regular key much less program one into a vehicle.

I found a guy near Players on Ashland at $90 with him providing the key.
$80 if I provide the key. so far that looks like my least expensive option.

Later I"m going to add a key from a fusion, this has the keyfob built onto the key and after 2 keys you can program them in yourself.
the last one that did it for me was in eagle river wisconsin, so I don't know around here, but I called one in lombard and they at least knew what I was talkinga bout

<-- Chris

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Resident Slow guy

If nothing else pops up,
I'm probably going to bite the bullet and go to the local guy on monday

post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 09:06 PM
im the greek guy

Sportbike: Currently taking a break
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: the monkey made me do it

Send a message via AIM to Pete The Greek
is this by any chance stolen?

sometimes you need to run before you can walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama View Post
CLSB, where you find the truth about fat girls and blow jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
When I got mine it died quickly from playing with it all day, after a while I can make it last the whole day.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Resident Slow guy

If it was, I don't think I would be dumb enough answer your question on a public forum

post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 10:32 PM
im the greek guy

Sportbike: Currently taking a break
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: the monkey made me do it

Send a message via AIM to Pete The Greek
Quote:
If it was, I don't think I would be dumb enough answer your question on a public forum

lol it was a joke

sometimes you need to run before you can walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama View Post
CLSB, where you find the truth about fat girls and blow jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
When I got mine it died quickly from playing with it all day, after a while I can make it last the whole day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode