Sometimes I wanna deck a sportbike rider - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 98' CBR600F3
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: back in the old days of SBN

Sometimes I wanna deck a sportbike rider

Okay so I'm on my way to work this morning and I'm sitting at the intersection of 1st Ave and North Ave. I'm on 1st Avenue (south) and this guy is the oncoming traffic (basically he's the oncoming traffic in the turning lane). If you have never seen 1st Avenue at this particular section there is a LONG, LONG turning lane with a ripplied median about 3-4 inches tall. So you can drive on it, but your teeth will be jarred quite annoyingly.

So I'm at the light waiting for oncoming traffic to go since it's their light. (I'm in my car BTW) I notice there are several semi's turning after a few cars. I then notice the stupid guy on the Yamaha going over the rippled median passing everyone until he can shove his stupid bike in front of a very large semi.

So basically he cuts in front of EVERYONE in the turning lane and jumps into the line of cars/trucks turning instead of waiting his turn. What if that truck had swerved or not seen him or the cars he jumped behind had slammed on the brakes? I really, really wish there had a been a cop around. Sometimes I really wanna hit another sportbike rider when they do stupid stuff like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 12:06 PM

Sportbike: 06 CBR600RR
Years Riding: bought my first street bike in 2000
How you found us: SBN

yep, poor guy must have been in one hell of a rush to get somewhere
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 12:11 PM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Sorry i was just testing my quick reaction time and late for work.

Just kidding.........Ya know i see that all the time and it's not always bikes. They should just know better.

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 12:12 PM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

I've seen people doing that on the shoulders of highways, like when I went to Daytona and during construction season. Sometimes the truck drivers pull over and block the shoulder. That leaves no room for emergency vehicles and the situation gets worse.

All in all stupidity and greed cannot be regulated, only responded to after the event has occured. But, folks like that usually find themselves getting hurt, hopefully not really bad but enough to change their behavior.

Taborn

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 01:30 PM

stupid
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 01:42 PM
K.I.S.S

Sportbike: CBR600RR & H-D Softail Custom
Years Riding: almost as long as it took to fill this out
How you found us: through a miracle

Send a message via AIM to MikeD
i hear ya.

one time i was headed to challenge park to go paintballing and there was also a nascar race in joliet so everyone was in there trucks and getting angry w/ all the traffic so ppl started useing the emergancy lanes. so i was fed up w/ it and blocked it.

this guy was behind me honking and screaming... lol he was waveing for me to get back in my lane so he can continue in the emergancy lane.

i told him if he wanted to go he is gunna have to go off roading and its not fair to everyone else.

Willard: When I was home after my first tour, it was worse. I'd wake up and there'd be nothing. I hardly said a word to my wife, until I said "yes" to a divorce. When I was here, I wanted to be there; when I was there, all I could think of was getting back into the jungle.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 11:51 AM

I get pissed when people do that too, although I've seen people in cages do it as well.

what aggrevates me the most is when bikers drive up btwn all the cars or ride on the shoulder during heavy stopped traffic just to get in front. at this point i usually dump my gatorade bottle out my window.

when i'm on the bike and get stuck in traffic I stick it out. sit and wait. what do you guys do??
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 11:54 AM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Quote:
Originally posted by akumaR6
what aggrevates me the most is when bikers drive up btwn all the cars or ride on the shoulder during heavy stopped traffic just to get in front. at this point i usually dump my gatorade bottle out my window.
In California lane splitting is legal but with the drivers we have around here I don't know if I'd do it even if it were legal.

There sure are times when two clueless drivers hang side-by-side for miles backing up traffic.

Dave
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 11:56 AM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

I hear lane splitting is legal in CA. Mind you, not riding in emergency lanes or the shoulder, but in between is OK if done using caution.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 12:02 PM
hayabusa_z

I am all for lane splitting, you are on a smaller faster vechile. There is usually more that enough room for a bike to get by in a traffic jam between lanes. Just do it at a reasonalbe speed and watch for merging traffic. I hate people who get pissed that I can move through traffic jams like that an cut me off on purpose. Had an older man do that to me a traffic jam because he had to sit there and wait while I could go through at like 5-10 miles per hr(i wasnt on the shoulder either.. never go there ) I think that guy had an inprint of a shoe on his card door as i passed
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 12:12 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
All it takes is one jerk to open a car door... and you're f*cked. Plus, everyone sitting in traffic watching the guy splitting lanes is thinking "what an a**". It's not legal in IL, most motorists know it, and it only further serves to enhance our "negative image" when it happens.

There's a spot on my route to work where oftentimes folks will ride the shoulder from one exit to the next. Lake Forest PD just LOVES catching those people... and I cheer when it happens!

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 12:28 PM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: SBN

Saw it in action near LA couple years back. Seemed to work there. At least the people I was with and those around didn't get pissed. But the first time I saw it was in Germany. I thought it made so much sense in order to facilitate traffic movement. All though, the cars there as well as the trucks seem smaller on average and there is more room to move between cars. There are also alot more people on bikes there as well esp on the smaller side streets.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 12:42 PM

You guys are sportbikers or cagers?..... put my shoes on for a minute and feel my pain!!!!

Brian and I did a NECESSARY and ILLEGAL maneuver on our bikes Sunday night riding back from Twin Cities, MN.

Finally jumped on I-90 around the Dell's, knowing there was construction, but not realizing how bad. We soon found out there was a 1.5 - 2 hour delay, cars for miles just sitting on the highway hardly moving forward and cops sitting on the left shoulder to make sure no one breaks any laws. The next exit was miles away and past the construction. We couldn't exit or turn around.

Being already tired from riding hundreds of miles and wanting to get home that night and not the next morning, we decided to RIDE THE RIGHT SHOULDER and just keep looking for cops, whenever we saw them we would just merge back into traffic like nothing happened.

Needless to say the cars stuck on 90 were all pissed and honking at us, but who cares. There is no way I could sit on my bike for 2 hours inching forward for 15-20 miles... that's nuts.

I was worried though that some car would see us coming in their mirrors and cut us off so we couldn't go. Which might result in an accident. Oh well, I would do it again if I needed to. We still got home before 11PM as scheduled and with our sanity intact.... if there was a message sign BEFORE we entered the highway telling us there was a delay, we would have take another way, but we were stuck and forced to break the law or pull over and camp out on the side of the road untill all the heavy trafic has passed.

Last edited by VIVID1; 05-20-2003 at 12:56 PM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 12:55 PM

Sometimes you can't wait in line like a car. Some bikes are air cooled. No air = No cooling = scortched engine. I've lane split or rode a shoulder or two in my time. I always do it slow and try not to p!ss anyone off. I know it's illegal in Illinois, but if it comes to paying for a ticket or an engine rebuild, I'll pay the ticket thanks. Even the R1 gets hot in traffic. I'll see 219 on the temp guage before the fan kicks in in heavy traffic and it's not even summer yet.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 12:56 PM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
I think shoulder riding and lane splitting is fine if traffic is stopped.....like completely, no need to overheat and you can make room for one more car. I've lane split the LSD AM parking lot from Irving south to North Avenue before. You do have to watch out for spiteful cars, and never faster than say 20 MPH.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SloRoll
Sometimes you can't wait in line like a car. Some bikes are air cooled. No air = No cooling = scortched engine.
It wasn't about that, if we had to JUST wait like when they close one lane roads, I would because you know that when the traffic finally starts moving it's moving ... but the cars were constantly inching forward. I can only have the clutch squeezed in for about 10 minutes, then my hand goes numb - and that's dangerous for me, and painful.

Once on the shoulder, we were riding very slowly too about 10-15 mph... we didn't want to piss anyone off just wanted to get the hell out of there.

Last edited by VIVID1; 05-20-2003 at 01:03 PM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 01:01 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean about the clutch hand. Sometimes I wish I had a set of those Popeye forearms.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 98' CBR600F3
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: back in the old days of SBN

Quote:
Originally posted by hayabusa_z
I am all for lane splitting, you are on a smaller faster vechile. There is usually more that enough room for a bike to get by in a traffic jam between lanes. Just do it at a reasonalbe speed and watch for merging traffic. I hate people who get pissed that I can move through traffic jams like that an cut me off on purpose. Had an older man do that to me a traffic jam because he had to sit there and wait while I could go through at like 5-10 miles per hr(i wasnt on the shoulder either.. never go there ) I think that guy had an inprint of a shoe on his card door as i passed
He wasn't lane splitting...he was driving ON the median and then he jumped off that onto the turn lane and cut off a trucker (my dad is a trucker; I detest when people are ignorant and assume that semis are like cars/bikes ) and then rode up a cars ass thru the turn. No wonder most people think we're dangerous. I was tempted to run his ass over. He's lucky that he had absolutely no gear on or I would have. You don't cut people off unless it's some kind of freakin emergency and even then be the F*** careful when you do it. Do you wanna piss off a semi or SUV cause you can get someplace faster by 5 minutes.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 01:28 PM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Babette,
Sorry to pull it

You're right, that guy was riding like an asshole, people need to be aware of the longer stopping distances required by trucks. What would be the result of that battle I think it'd be one SQUished kID.

<--------Sticky Nicky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode