Paypal dispute - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Yamaha R1
Years Riding: 16
How you found us: milk carton

Paypal dispute

Hope this might help someone out here in the future.

I bought a set of tire warmers off the wera BB back in Dec for $325 shipped. The guy I bought them from shipped them USPS, no insurance and only delivery confirmation. He never sent me the tracking #ís until 8 days after they were lost or stolen. I tried going to the post office and speaking with the letter carrier and manager. Tracking numbers with the USPS only verify that something is being shipped. They donít give the address or name of who the package is going to. The letter carrier took the position of ďIím only required to drop the package at the front doorĒ & ďI donít remember delivering or not delivering it.Ē

I filed a dispute with paypal Mid January . My take on this is that it is the sellerís responsibility to make sure that the package is delivered to me. He accepted an offer of $325 shipped. If he wanted to save $5 and not have insurance , he is taking the risk. If he wouldíve called and wanted five more bucks for insurance it would not have been a problem. Any time I have shipped stuff I paid the extra money.

Paypal ruled in my favor a couple of days ago. I got my money back after about 60 days.

Make sure if youíre buying from someone on one of the BB that they do ship the package insured. Itíll save you some grief.

It sucks that he lost the tire warmers, but he made the call with the shipping.

Iíve also been looking on craigslist and ebay if someone is selling these.
Hereís some info on these from the wera board.
PRO-LINE MODEL- Blue color
The top of the line is our Digitally Controlled Pro-Line model
one got rolled up warm and melted the velcro a little.
These will fit 195 Rears

Wally
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 017-1.jpg (78.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 021.jpg (77.2 KB, 21 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 12:02 PM
The Sausage king

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: Since my mid-life crisis
How you found us: Hankered for a hunka cheese

Glad you got your money back, sucks you lost time and effort though.
Definitely agree with you on getting the insurance especially on bigger money items.
I've had a paypal dispute before too and it was pretty painless, got my money back after about 40 days though. Paypal is awesome.

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 12:04 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

They almost always side with the buyer. It's your fault as much as his, you're just lucky since you're the buyer.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 12:10 PM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzx9r View Post
They almost always side with the buyer. It's your fault as much as his, you're just lucky since you're the buyer.
I am glad someone said it before me. You kinda dicked the guy over to be honest. You live in a shitty theft prone area then you should have asked for and expected to pay for insurance.

Ian
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
If it were up to me I would've given half your money back. He didn't ask if you wanted insurance but at the same time you didn't specify that you wanted it.

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Racing View Post
I am glad someone said it before me. You kinda dicked the guy over to be honest. You live in a shitty theft prone area then you should have asked for and expected to pay for insurance.

Anywhere is prone to theft or USPS incompetence. I've never had anything like this happen before. I've had shoei helmets, pazzo levers, vortex rearsets all left at my front door with no issues.

I guarantee I'll definately ask for insurance next time.
So you're telling me you never had anything delivered uninsured???
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 12:21 PM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
No I do all the time and I ship USPS Priority Mail all the time and never once had anything lost or stolen or mis delivered. If it is not fragile or over $1000 I never insure.

Ian
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Racing View Post
No I do all the time and I ship USPS Priority Mail all the time and never once had anything lost or stolen or mis delivered. If it is not fragile or over $1000 I never insure.
Then learn from this example what could happen. If losing $999 is not a big deal then by all means continue shipping uninsured. But at least offer the buyer the option if they want it. It will save you a big headache in the future.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
One time, I ordered something on the internet. UPS delivered it to a neighbor 5 houses down. I went through a world of shit with the company and UPS.

Long story short, UPS paid for the merchandise, and the company sent replacements. UPS required signature on all deliveries to my house thereafter. The neighbor came by after having the merchandise for 5 months to drop it off.

I love neighbors.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 12:48 PM
The Sausage king

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: Since my mid-life crisis
How you found us: Hankered for a hunka cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
One time, I ordered something on the internet. UPS delivered it to a neighbor 5 houses down. I went through a world of shit with the company and UPS.

Long story short, UPS paid for the merchandise, and the company sent replacements. UPS required signature on all deliveries to my house thereafter. The neighbor came by after having the merchandise for 5 months to drop it off.

I love neighbors.
I had a similiar situation too, UPS dropped off my stuff at a neighbors house. The funny thing is on my way home, I walk past this neighbors house and I saw the package on the porch with a Lockhart Phillips box. I thought, cool, I'm getting some Lockhart Phillips stuff delivered too. That was my stuff.

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Got a set of tire warmers for sale?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 01:56 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .

I insure everything I ship and require an adult signature on delivery so I can't get scammed.

If an ad doesn't list the insurance, maybe you should ask next time.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=NeedSpeed;1028105]

I guarantee I'll definately ask for insurance next time.
QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzx9r View Post
I insure everything I ship and require an adult signature on delivery so I can't get scammed.

If an ad doesn't list the insurance, maybe you should ask next time.
I agree completely.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 03:20 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

I have everything shipped to my work. Who the hell is ever at home?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 03:57 PM
habitual line stepper

Sportbike: F4,Brutale,Warrior,DRZ
Years Riding: X

Send a message via AIM to Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSpeed View Post
Hope this might help someone out here in the future.

I bought a set of tire warmers off the wera BB back in Dec for $325 shipped. The guy I bought them from shipped them USPS, no insurance and only delivery confirmation.
What came of the "delivery confirmation." Did USPS confirm delivery?

If UPS delivers a package to your house and you say you never got it. Then what? If it was insured are they going to cover it? Usually insurance covers damage caused by UPS and in that case they want the package back to inspect.

Insurance with the post office is BS. I have insured things, and they have been damaged and lost. It's a pain to collect. You have to wait 30 days before even filing a claim.

Last edited by Jack; 02-26-2008 at 04:00 PM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 04:12 PM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20

I ship alot and I do not insure unless the buyer requests. I do USPS priority with Delivery confirmation within the US. I have had a couple instances where the package has not delivered, lost or damaged. I generally will send out a second item FREE to replace. But I have had 1 instance where the USPS delivery confirmation stated it had delivered. The guy filed a Paypal claim without ever asking me about it, but I was able to prove I had shipped it and it delivered. They sided with me.

The ones that really suck is international. Those I insure. And if it gets lost your screwed. You cant proove it delivered. The US Post will take months to resolve, if they ever do. I think they wait for you to give up. But Fed-Ex and UPS charge 3-4x what USPS does and when shipping is $85 and the product is only $67 customers dont buy so you use USPS and take a chance. And that reminds me I have a claim in since August that I need to follow up on again.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What came of the "delivery confirmation." Did USPS confirm delivery?

If UPS delivers a package to your house and you say you never got it. Then what? If it was insured are they going to cover it? Usually insurance covers damage caused by UPS and in that case they want the package back to inspect.

Insurance with the post office is BS. I have insured things, and they have been damaged and lost. It's a pain to collect. You have to wait 30 days before even filing a claim.
The confirmation said delivered. I recieved the tracking numbers 8 days after it was delivered. Sort've too late to find out from the carrier if she remembered dropping it off. The guy kept forgeting to send them. The post office tracking system is ridiculous. They couldn't even verify my address on it.

I think UPS packages are automatically insured for $100. It pretty much boils down to getting a signature I guess.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:32 PM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSpeed View Post
The confirmation said delivered. I recieved the tracking numbers 8 days after it was delivered. Sort've too late to find out from the carrier if she remembered dropping it off. The guy kept forgeting to send them. The post office tracking system is ridiculous. They couldn't even verify my address on it.

I think UPS packages are automatically insured for $100. It pretty much boils down to getting a signature I guess.
Yeah the down side of USPS Delivery Confirmation is it is NOT a tracking number. It only confirms that the package has been delivered. Where as Fed-Ex and UPS tracking numbers are just that tracking numbers. You can see where it is at at any time. But even then it does not confirm it was delivered to the right house.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 01:12 AM
Ninja Kick!

Sportbike: 09 R6 09, RS125
Years Riding: Not enough
How you found us: Spongebob

Not only did you cost them the price of the item but you also cost them an extra $10-15 for the chargeback. Sorry to say but Paypal shouldn't be ruling in your favor, it's your duty to ask how your stuff is going to be shipped and whether or not insurance will be used.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 09:13 AM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

I do believe the shipper is responsible for making sure the item gets to you.
Sometimes, the UPS driver is able to leave the package at their discretion. If it disappears, I believe they're liable. The post office sucks. Delivery confirmation just means they scan a tag while their standing at your door. If it walks after that tough. It's also not trackable, it's just a time stamp basically.

Fedex FTW!

I hate customs and import charges that come after the fact to the shipper and crap like that. So I listed an item and didn't offer shipping to Canada, but did offer fixed price shipping. Someone buys it and pays for it. Their in Canada. Crap. Rather then call them and relist and all that crap, I send it first class to Canada with all the customs forms. Now it's been a month and it hasn't shown up. The buyer emails me and says he didn't get it, I reply it was sent, he says he'll wait for it and he understands. Now he files a dispute to Paypal.

So what do I do? It's not a large dollar amount. If he was in the states, I'd just refund his money. I knew I was taking a risk not insuring it. But he's in Canada and didn't want the extra head aches. It may just take a lot longer to get there.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode