Fight Men Fear - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Fight Men Fear

4 Fights That Men Fear

Typically, guys like fights when they're at a hockey game, or watching reality TV. But guys don't particularly like fights when they happen in relationships.

We shy away from confrontation for several reasons: first, men win arguments with women about as often as Dennis Kucinich wins presidential primaries.

Second, we don't have that much we want to argue about. When Rodney King asked, "Can't we all just get along?" there were millions of guys nodding their heads, asking the same thing. For the vast majority of guys, fighting is failure, and quite possibly a violation of local noise ordinances.

We may have a few little things to quibble about (Where in the world did you put my Strokes concert T-shirt?), but for the most part, we'll do anything to avoid conflict, especially these types of conflict:

The "Blackberry" Fight

You look at it too much. Does that thing always have to be on? You work way too much! You're right, you're right, and you're right. When a man's work is pitted against his relationship for time and attention, he can feel utterly conflicted.

Many men feel an intense pressure to succeed, to be the one who's counted on, to be hardwired into whatever's happening, even if it's not much. And when you tell him that he should feel that way about you rather than the job, he retreats.

That's because he'd rather make a choice between right and wrong than the choice you're asking him to make: The choice between two things that are both important, but vastly different.

The "Ex" Fight

You want to know what she's like, what she does, why your man was into her, and why they broke up. Him? He wants to stay as tight-lipped as the CIA's man in Moscow.

Which only fuels the speculation - she must've been great, she must've broken up with him, she must've been the love of his life. The truth may be none of those things, but he wants to reveal as little as possible because there's no upside.

If he recalls any positives about her, he's afraid you'll compare, and think poorly of yourself. If he says nasty things about his ex, he loses two ways: you'll think badly of him for unchivalrous behavior, and wonder why he was with such a no-good girlfriend in the first place.

The "Finale" Fight

When a break-up is inevitable, a guy doesn't want to go out with shouts, insults, crying, and random appliance tossing. Even though this relationship may have not worked out entirely the way either of you had pictured, he doesn't want it to end badly.

Why? Because there's a big part of him that cares very much about his rep; he doesn't want to be perceived as a bad guy, or a mean one, or some jerk who deserves to be hit by the cross-town bus next time he crosses the street.

Even if he wants an ending, he doesn't want it to be a bad one - which is why many breakup-minded men try to make a soft landing back in the singles world: Slowly, gently, and perhaps unfairly as well.

The "Wedding" Fights

Not the wedding fight, as in whether or not to have one. But fights, as in plural, the kind that happen between the first ring he puts on your finger, and the second. He knows you want him involved in all the decisions big (who to invite) and small (what style napkins). He knows that "It's up to you" is usually one of the "Five Things You Should Never Say to a Woman," as this article artfully instructs (hint: make sure he reads and heeds it!).

But in this case, his acquiescence isn't because he's uninterested; it's because he respects that this is your (and possibly your mother's) big day, so enjoy it, do what you want, and don't get mad because he won't tell you if he prefers the butter cream icing or the marzipan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 05:25 PM
The Benchwarmer

Sportbike: Ninja
Years Riding: Long
How you found us: Dong

i just got done reading this 2 minutes ago on yahoo

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 05:27 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

The "Blackberry" Fight

WRONG- I just tell her that if I dont pay attention to it, they might not pay attention to signing my paycheck - SHE retreats.....fight over, Man won.

The "Ex" Fight

WRONG - I tell her that we're still in touch, and if she doesnt lay off, I will rekindle the relationship - SHE retreats.....fight over, Man won.

The "Finale" Fight

WRONG - when its over, we dont fight cause we dont really care, or have time to fight, we need to go find another horse to mount. Fight over, man won (as long as the friend with benefits was setup for just this occasion)

The "Wedding" Fights

WRONG - we dont fight because we really are "uninterested" in this shit.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Ninja Kick!

Sportbike: 09 R6 09, RS125
Years Riding: Not enough
How you found us: Spongebob

This is BS, women only 'win' fights because they are too stubborn to listen to logic.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 06:39 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

The only fights women win is when they cry. Everbody knows crying is cheating.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Who writes this stuff?

The "Blackberry" Fight

Only comes up because most women don't have a clue that we really need to work for a living. They always have the fall back fantasy that Prince Charming will ride up and take care of them for life. BTW, I'll put the Crackberry down if you can stay off your cell phone for an evening.

The "Ex" Fight

Partially right. There is no upside as all women are insane. Learn to stand on your own merits.

The "Finale" Fight

Naaa, we just don't want to hurt her or deal with any more of her crap. Again, no upside.

The "Wedding" Fights

Been there done that twice. Really, what guy cares about that stuff? If I was gay I wouldn't be getting hitched to you, would I? The only wedding questions we care about can be answered in 4 words. "Open bar and steak". Just tell me how much it will cost me as I don't expect any handouts from the future inlaws that can be held over my head for the next "x" number of years I'm going to stay with your sorry ass. I'll agree with the budget or tell you no.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 06:49 PM
I miss mopar

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: I can't count that high.
How you found us: i don't remember.

Send a message via AIM to Drama Send a message via Skype™ to Drama
Be single and you don't have to worry about any of this shit

you spend too much time worrying about stds instead though

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
Dirt: TBD
I love bike shopping.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 06:50 PM
The Benchwarmer

Sportbike: Ninja
Years Riding: Long
How you found us: Dong

i worry bout neither hahahahahahaha

im so lonely

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest - Denis Diderot
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Ninja Kick!

Sportbike: 09 R6 09, RS125
Years Riding: Not enough
How you found us: Spongebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntash View Post
im so lonely
At least you've got miss palmer and her five daughters to keep you company.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 07:42 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

keep this in the ladies forum, please.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 07:50 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

oooh....the buttercream FTW!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode