Car repair problem - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 02:27 PM
hayabusa_z

Car repair problem

Ok guys, need a few ideas. Last week took my car(98 z28) into the local Chevy dealer for a tune up and becase the engine light just came on. Well when they pull the code from the computer, it told them that the seconday and the primary air pump into the exhaust was bad and it had to be replaced. So the primary was covered under warrenty and the secondat cost me about $550. Well on the way home the engine light came on again. Took the car back in the next day and the told me the realy was bad too... cost $120 to fix. Had the car Friday and on Sunday, the light came on again.... not even 50 miles on the car. Took it to the dealer on Monday, they couldnt figure it out. On Tuesday day, they said it was the computer that was bad in the car, and it was giving them the bad air pump codes when the computer was going through the diagonstic. They havent put in the computer yet, but the part will cost another $250 alone. I think I should get a refund on the first two repairs.... looks like they were not needed. Dealer didnt test or properly diagnose the car... what do u think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 02:35 PM

I would make the dealership eat the the first 2 repairs. They should be able to ID the problem thru experience and training not trial and error. If they don't eat the cost i would call Chevy

ccs #282
SM-USA #88
R6
Yz 426
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 02:38 PM

Sportbike: CURRENTLY LOOKING
Years Riding: since I was 8
How you found us: The NET is MINE

From past experiences and horror stories from coworkers. One try to reason with the shop. In some cases it might be worth it and you might get a refund for that kind of repair. Go up the chain of command as much as you can and try to follow every level. Once you talked to the higest person that will return your call if something it is still not done, call GM directly, tell them the situation and how you followed the chain of command and nothing was done. If in the process you became so enraged that you don't want to go to that dealer, have GM referr you to another one and you might come out on top.

Best scenerio you will not have to talk to too many people and your car will be fixed properly. Worst you might have to cause somewhat of a stink and hope that they do fix your car at the end.

my .02

Logtar - John

My Blog - @Logtar - Google+
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 03:19 PM

IF you do go up, I've heard of Chevy pulling some kind of "super secret recalls" to basically pay for he repair and cover up the problem when a deal screws up.

A Chevy dealer changed the tranny fluid on the dad's Geo Prism once and we suspect that they forgot ot refill it... the tranny died a few weeks later and GM gave us a "secret recall" that cover half the repairs.... should have been all of it, but neither side could prove any blame.

I'm suprised that you're having so much trouble. Engine control is supposed ot be one of GM's strong suits.

Hope you get it sorted out.

SOunds expensive, but at least it's nto a major problem that will leave you stranded.... just emissions BULLSHIT!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 03:45 PM

Your computer could be getting bad data if the O2 sensor is faulty
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GelbKreuz
Your computer could be getting bad data if the O2 sensor is faulty
I think they would know.... the newer computers give fairly specific codes relating ot sensor faults. They are able to recognize individual I/O failures...as opposed ot old computers that only recognized out of tolerance symptoms such as too rich or too lean...etc.... and couldn;t pin point why.

I his case, it sounds liek the CPU could have a bad internal connection ot that bank of sensors. IT usually take takes 30-60 minutes or run time for a computer to run a full diagnostic cycle.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 04:51 PM

Sportbike: 91 Electra Glide
Years Riding: I forgot
How you found us: So long I dont remember

Send a message via AIM to robo74
My light has been on in my blazer since 70K miles, I now have 112k strong...still have the light.

Rob
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 04:56 PM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

If you need a good Dealership Mechanic i know the service Manager at Woodfield Chevrolet. GREAT GREAT guy and a friend from years back! I will be more than happy to refrence hiom out to ya. Let me know to give a heads up if you choose. My wife and his are actually great friends and i just got to know him through them.

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 05:07 PM
hayabusa_z

Labdog.. they ordered the new computer for me, so I am going to make them put in in and then eat the costs for the other two repairs. I have a friend who can recommend a low cost attorney for that, or small claims if I have to. 110,000 miles on my car and it still works fine. Thanks for the offer, next time I get the light I will ask ya for yout friends name.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 05:15 PM

No problem. I will even give him a call and give a heads up for ya as well. I guess you did'nt like my avatar offer huh?

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 06:25 PM

Did your car do anything besides have the light turn on? Otherwise it ran perfectly fine?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 08:51 PM

Sportbike: 05 DRZ-SM, 80 GS1100E, 99 KTM 125SX, 03 KTM 200MXC
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: ?

Send a message via AIM to Ryan Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan
The first couple darts they threw apparently missed the target . Tell them to have a tech that will actually diagnose the problem and not just change parts work on it because the PCM is probably not the problem either.

-Ryan
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 10:21 PM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

I can't help people who have cars that make me jealous.

Taborn

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 08:40 PM
Make my day!!!!!

Sportbike: Looking at a shiny Huffy!
Years Riding: 20+ yrs.
How you found us: member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ducman
I would make the dealership eat the the first 2 repairs. They should be able to ID the problem thru experience and training not trial and error. If they don't eat the cost i would call Chevy
DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Living life! Because before you know it it is over!

Joe

FACEBOOK
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 08:50 PM
Make my day!!!!!

Sportbike: Looking at a shiny Huffy!
Years Riding: 20+ yrs.
How you found us: member

Quote:
Originally posted by robo74
My light has been on in my blazer since 70K miles, I now have 112k strong...still have the light.

Rob

I got a fix that works every time. Black electical tape on the dash. (Seen that on a rental) Don't like that idea how about taking the Service engine soon" lightbulb out completely. (Friend bought a car from small time dealer another friend from dealer told me what owner made the mechnic do. She just bought the car 4 days prior to light.)

Living life! Because before you know it it is over!

Joe

FACEBOOK
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 11:09 PM

Sportbike: 05 DRZ-SM, 80 GS1100E, 99 KTM 125SX, 03 KTM 200MXC
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: ?

Send a message via AIM to Ryan Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan
Quote:
Originally posted by wingit
I got a fix that works every time. Black electical tape on the dash. (Seen that on a rental) Don't like that idea how about taking the Service engine soon" lightbulb out completely. (Friend bought a car from small time dealer another friend from dealer told me what owner made the mechnic do. She just bought the car 4 days prior to light.)
That works till you gotta get an emissions test. On vehicles with OBDII (96 and up) they don't run the IM240 test anymore, they just plug into the DLC and see if there's any codes in there and if all the readiness monitors are set (so you can't just clear the codes and take it through).

-Ryan
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 09:45 AM

Sportbike: Suzuki Bandit 400, Suzuki Intruder Volusia
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: A search engine long, long ago

Send a message via AIM to Volkl42
That's what you get for buying a Chevy All joking aside I would try to get the dealer to eat the repairs. At least have them take all the labor charges off because regardless of whether or not you needed them, you do have a new parts now. I am not familiar with GM, but $150 for a new relay is ridiculous. If the part was bought anywhere but the dealer it would prolly be under $15 and most relays are easy to get to, so less than an hour to chanrge it out. But then again, like I said, I don't know Chevy's. My experience is with Fords, Mercedes, and Volvos.

Hi, my name is Matt, and I have a speeding problem
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 97Fizzer600
That works till you gotta get an emissions test. On vehicles with OBDII (96 and up) they don't run the IM240 test anymore, they just plug into the DLC and see if there's any codes in there and if all the readiness monitors are set (so you can't just clear the codes and take it through).

-Ryan
AND THAT IS THE TRUTH! They pull up codes and they won't even pass your vehicle till you get it serviced. Even then when a Mech turns out the light (I believe they told me) it takes a week from the point they turn it off for them to pass the vehicle. I had the light reset a day before i went for emissions on my 97 Tahoe and they would not pass it so they did the exhaust pipe test and it passed but they informed me beginning 2003 they will NOT test a 96+ vehicle by actual exhaust anymore.

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 10:14 AM

If you can do anywork yourself try that site i think it's www.gmparts or gmdirect something like that? do a search you will find it. gm parts at cost or close to it.

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 10:52 AM

Sportbike: 06 CBR600RR
Years Riding: bought my first street bike in 2000
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally posted by Labdog
If you can do anywork yourself try that site i think it's www.gmparts or gmdirect something like that? do a search you will find it. gm parts at cost or close to it.
i think it is http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

also, my friend is having a similar problem with his firebird. he changed his O2 sensors and a whole bunch of other stuff. now they are saying its his catalytic converter. hope you have better luck than my friend is!
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 11:59 AM
Woo Woo

Sportbike: None for now
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to ZoomByU
well if that doesnt fix it you get a whole new car lemon laws gotta love em
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 03:43 PM

Typical GM techs, get the code, throw a part at it, repeat until light stays out. Blah.

Codes TELL YOU WHERE TO LOOK, and where to start your diagnosis. Not replace this part because it threw a code. Ugh...

I highly doubt the tech took the time to properly confirm the computers readings and why it threw the code. It happens more than you'd think. Then again, this is why I stayed away from drivability! Too much hassle. I stuck to undercar (especially suspension, custom exhaust, fun stuff).

Cars suck.

Troll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode