Anyone ride Mountain Bikes in here??? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2 many
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: internet

Anyone ride Mountain Bikes in here???

I have got a shitty little Mongoose mountain bike that I throw around here n there.

I have been to Kettle Moraine Forest Preserve once and I must say that, that place is by far the most wicked one ! You really must know what your doing and needless to say be in good physical condition. Besides that place, I have been to Deer Grove Forest Preserve which is not bad.

I don't know about you guys but I think it helps me keep in shape for riding mc's.

Anyone else like that stuff ? Maybe we can hook up sometime and push the limits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 10:45 AM
Doc

Sportbike: 2006 Lemond Zurich
Years Riding: since the age of 4
How you found us: SBN...back in the day!

Send a message via AIM to Doc
I like it, but I can't find any novice or even beginner trails. I use to live in Bloomington/Normal and they had some sweet trails around Lake Evergreen. Definitely a fun time.

I know I'm terribly out of shape, but I would be up for getting back in shape.

Doc

2006 Lemond Zurich

"A man who dares to waste an hour of life has not discovered the value of life."-Darwin
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 11:24 AM

Back before I started night school and I lived in Palatine, I used to ride Deer Grove almost every day. It's a great set of trails but the erosion is really starting to eat that place up. Kettle Moraine is awesome, did you ride the John Muir trails? There is another set of trails just ne of the Muir trail that is wicked to ride as well. You have to ride the streets for a bit to get there though.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 01:03 PM

Kettle Moraine is a very nice place to ride at.
They have a little of everything there.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 01:09 PM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
I used to ride off-road heavily. I used to ride Kettle once a week or so, we'd to the Ice Age connector trail between the John Muir and Emma Carlin trail systems, about 22 miles round trip. They've change the route a bit since then but I've heard it's still pretty good. I rode the Flume Trail in Lake Tahoe and the was amazing. I also used to regularly ride single track at Waterfall Glen park(Argonne) and Palos Hills(behind the toboggan hill). I rode my bicycle to work today!

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 01:23 PM
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

I used to ride Argonne and Palos all the time, too. I'd love to get back into it.

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 01:34 PM
Must... brake... later...

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha R6 in Race Trim
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: member

I used to ride at Palos a lot but ever since I got my motorcycle, I haven't gone... literally. Actually, I was just thinking about getting back in to it again this summer too. I've never been up to Kettle Morraine, but I hear it's the bomb. Any group rides (the mtn. biking kind) for the summer? I'd be there!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 01:54 PM

I have a 4 year old Marin I used to race in college. I'm a little out of shape now (+20lbs) but I can still hold my own in the twisties. I haven't been out ot abotu 6 months.... I might do a little riding this weekend at Palos. It's goign ot eb a little chilly and too many cars and drunks on the road to really ride the motorcycle and have fun IMO. OR maybe I'll do both

PM me if you want ot ride. I have a good road bike too.

BTW - if you ever need service on the bike... I still have a stand and all the toosl to completely tear down and rebuild a pre 2001 bike to the bar frame. Thyey've gone to those new flushmounted headsets...I I haven't a worked on those before.

I can also build wheels from scratch or repair most damage.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 02:23 PM

Sportbike: 2004 GSX-R 750 Track Bike
Years Riding: 12 years
How you found us: Been on the forum since it was part of SBN

I used to ride alot. I raced for about 7 years from high school through college. I have a Manitou Hardtail that broke last year. I have not ridden much since.

There are some decent small loops in the Skokie Lagoons (north of the city). Also, Wilmot Mountain will let you ride during the summer. They have a very nice 4 mile loop that is very challenging.

I also work on bikes on the side. And if anyone is looking to buy a new bike a have a couple of very good connections at some shops in the area.

NESBA #510 (I)
Wide Open Till Ya See God, Then Brake
Viva La Figa!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2 many
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: internet

cool....looks like we have a bunch of mtn bikers here. Maybe well organize a group ride soon and get out there. I have checked out Palos one too.........took the tobagon run from the very top w/o any protective gear !!!.....yup pretty damn stupid but when i did it, it felt pretty cool.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 03:14 PM

I'd be up for a trip to Kettle, I'm also way out of shape so I think it'll be perfect for all involved. BTW I have an 11 year old Trek

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 03:15 PM

i used to mountian bike a lot back in high school... a little here and there now but not too much.

i've done kettle moraine a few times and a few other trails in the wisconsin dells area.... also i've done a few really good trails close by madison... but that was a while ago....

i have a treck 7000 and wouldnt mind riding... are there any good trails in illinois????
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 04:14 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

Huh? Outta shape mountain biker thread? I'm in!
A Kettle trip would be cool. I did the Ice Age connector last season that Sticky was talking about. Good run. Not too technical, but the friggin hills (the part where you have to pedal up them) turned me into pudding.

There's also a nice little patch of trails off Rt. 12 north of Fox Lake (by Rt. 12 Auto Thingy - how's that for specific?). Some old moto-X ruts that have been there for years between the RR tracks and the road. Silly, and not too long, but super fun to play around in for an afternoon.

Better yet, head over to Wilmont and take the Mt. Bikes on ther "regulation" BMX track! Starting gates, 20' berms, and 8' tabletops that damn near made me wet myself! I laughed, I cried, I crashed, my buddy snapped his GT in half... and we went home.

I'm up for whenever. The more organized it is (day, time, meeting spot etc.) the better.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 07:29 PM

I used to ride at Palos and Busse woods. There were group rides every tuesday and thrusday that I wouldlead at Busse. I'm not sure that they still happen. It was run by the local bike shop. I had a book of allt he local riding and would try to hit a different place each time. I found the above 2 were the best. I used to ride everyday before I got into MC racing. Now I'm spend more time on my Mtn bike then motorcycle..stupid Connecticut
and I have more Mtn bikes then motorcycles where did it all go wrong

ccs #282
SM-USA #88
R6
Yz 426
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 08:50 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

i use to race believe it or not.

anyway..incase you guys just want to drol over some high end MTN bikes, let me know..if not there both for sale.

1 i put in a touch more then 2500.00(full suspension) and the other i put in an EASY 3000.00+(hard tail)

ill cut a deal for anyone that wants to buy 1

i just dont have time to enjoy them anymore.

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 09:09 PM

Bikes depreciate almost as bad as computers... probably about 20% per year. Better sell them soon.

Hell on my road bike I have 2 sets of wheels and 4 different cassetts for changing the gearing for different courses.

Actually I'm seriously think of riding at Palos Saturday afternoon....around noon... anyone interested??? I'll post a ride...

Hey Ken, can I post a MTB ride in the rides section??? Hmmmmmm.... I better put it in social gatherings.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 09:12 PM
YO MAMA

i saw your dirty ass bike cherry...lol

both these bikes look and ARE clean and spot free, like ya took them OTD from a shop.

i scratched something...i replaced it. i use to spend MONDO bucks on this stuff.

either way it doesnt matter if i sell them or not...ill ride them sometime. and if anything when people know MTN bikes see them..they are like DUDE!

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Odysseys
i saw your dirty ass bike cherry...lol

both these bikes look and ARE clean and spot free, like ya took them OTD from a shop.

i scratched something...i replaced it. i use to spend MONDO bucks on this stuff.

either way it doesnt matter if i sell them or not...ill ride them sometime. and if anything when people know MTN bikes see them..they are like DUDE!
Shame on you...those poor bikes.... Moutain bikes should be ridden not cleaned. I have at least 5k miles or more on that MTB. No seriously I do. My road bike is much cleaner... but has around 20k on the frame... 10k on most of the components.

I worked at a shop for 3 summers and I raced seriously for 3 years... I've seen expensive bikes.... never kept me from putting some seriuos hurt on them. I;m sure they are pretty...but I've seen brnmd new $2000 bikes sit on a wall for year in the shop.... they had depreciated below cost after about 3 years. Standard mark-up is 60-80% on high end bikes.

I'm sure your bikes are pretty and perfectly detailed.... but I'd either ride em, unload them.... or save them for 30 years.

I've ridden wiht guys that had $5000 lightspeeds, $10,000 merlin tandems, guy with a one off, hand made $3000 Scandium alloy frame from England with beautiful custom paint jobs. A cheap bike was around $1200 for a MTB and $2000 for a road bike.

Ahh the beauty of the employee purchase.

I ride high end steel, it's cheap, moderately light, lasts forever, and has a nice feel. and the weld are clean and beautful and don't need to be sanded down to look nice.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 09:51 PM
YO MAMA

nahh i see your point..and even my riding buddy that we use to go all the time with, said the same thing.

the full suspension has like maybe 3000 on it..and the hard tail like 300 miles..i barley even touched the bike.

and then right before i about stop riding...i up graded both bikes to (shit ya see i forgot already its been to long) to 27 speed? what ever that extra rear cog ring started. i up graded both bikes to that 1 bike full XT and front XTR der on the full suspension, the hard tial full XTR everything.

there great bikes..and butter smooth and both frames are carbon fiber.

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 10:13 PM
Fast enough!!

Sportbike: 1200cc of screaming “Bitch!”
Years Riding: On and off for years.
How you found us: Internet, Yahoo

Send a message via AIM to Naked Bandit Send a message via Yahoo to Naked Bandit
Well I live next to the Illinois prairie path, last year I road it allot, my longest was 62 miles. I have some kick ass photos from this place. I’ll post them sometime.

Well anyway, here is my bike.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 11:28 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

here's my mountain bike.....not really using it for its intended purpose, though

I used to bike constantly...then I got a driver's license and stop playing sports so I can't last more then a couple miles on a bike these days
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 09:31 AM

Sportbike: Suzuki Bandit 400, Suzuki Intruder Volusia
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: A search engine long, long ago

Send a message via AIM to Volkl42
Quote:
Originally posted by Doc
I like it, but I can't find any novice or even beginner trails. I use to live in Bloomington/Normal and they had some sweet trails around Lake Evergreen. Definitely a fun time.

I totally agree. Right now I live in Normal and try to hit up these trails as often as possible on my shitty Mongoose. Lake Evergreen has some fun roads around it too. I used to ride 150+ miles a week, but then I got real sick last summer and now I am really out of shape. Oh well, have to start training for Coast Guard OCS anyway.

Hi, my name is Matt, and I have a speeding problem
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 09:49 AM

Quote:
[i]
I ride high end steel, it's cheap, moderately light, lasts forever, and has a nice feel. and the weld are clean and beautful and don't need to be sanded down to look nice. [/B]
MMMM High end steel

ccs #282
SM-USA #88
R6
Yz 426
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 09:52 AM
YO MAMA

ducman...nice cranks...i was thinking of getting those...but went XTR.

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 09:54 AM

Those are the cheaper version. I think I got them on sale for $90

ccs #282
SM-USA #88
R6
Yz 426
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 10:09 AM

Sweet,
I have Race Face Cranks on my old tank.

That frame is killer, I almost bought a used Yeti Ultimate the other day.

<--------Sticky Nicky

Last edited by Sticky; 05-23-2003 at 10:11 AM.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 11:04 AM

Re: Anyone ride Mountain Bikes in here???

Quote:
Originally posted by new2r1
I have got a shitty little Mongoose mountain bike that I throw around here n there.

I have a shitty little Mongoose too. I agree riding MTB keeps you in shape for MCs. The riding position on my MTB is way more agressive than on my F4i and 954RR

Quote:
Originally posted by Naked Bandit
Well I live next to the Illinois prairie path
Brian and I are 2 blocks from the IL prairie path too.

Last edited by VIVID1; 09-14-2003 at 11:10 AM.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 09:27 PM
habitual line stepper

Sportbike: F4,Brutale,Warrior,DRZ
Years Riding: X
How you found us: .

Send a message via AIM to Jack
Re: Anyone ride Mountain Bikes in here???

Quote:
Originally posted by new2r1
I have been to Kettle Moraine Forest Preserve once and I must say that, that place is by far the most wicked one !
I live 15 minutes from the Kettle. I've been trying to go a couple times a week.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 09:41 PM

Nice maps Troy! Hey.... check you Voicemail...I've been trying ot get ahold of you for a few days now.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 01:09 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
I'd be in for a ride, never been to Kettle Moraine, but have been to the Old race track in Carpentersville called Meadowdale. It was a ton of fun there.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode