Prius = the suck - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Prius = the suck

I have a super smug friend with one of these and she will be pissed.

http://www.goodcleantech.com/2008/03...us_in_mpgs.php

"Wait. There must be some mistake. How can an autobahn-inspired performance machine beat one of the most fuel-efficient cars ever made?

It looks like that is exactly what happened on a 545-mile London-Geneva run, when a diesel-powered BMW 5-series posted better MPG stats than a petrol-based Toyota Prius hybrid. The BMW 520d with a 2.0-liter diesel engine and regenerative braking posted an impressive 41.9 mpg - about 0.9 mpg better than a full hybrid Prius. The difference may not seem huge. But given that the Prius weighs about 500 lb less, BMW's fuel economy lead was significant enough to raise new questions about which drivetrain technologies are more environmentally viable and should become the future mainstream of sustainable transport.

According to our partner site Technoride, the 5-series' triumph over Prius can be attributed to "a series of energy-saving features BMW calls EfficientDynamics: battery recharge when braking, good aerodynamics, low rolling resistance, a continuous fuel consumption gauge on the dashboard, and a six-speed manual transmission that is rated as improving fuel economy by about 10%."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 09:56 AM
teets

Sportbike: teets
Years Riding: teets
How you found us: teets

Send a message via AIM to Flounder
So whats the best looking, best performing hybrid out there for the buck? I'm looking to get one for my sick commute sometime in the near future. I'm not looking to spend over 25k

teets
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 09:57 AM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
Dammit I want a diesal. I loved the little Renault Megane I had in Scotland. A Puegot 208 or 207 would be sweet also.

Ian
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

I would get a vw diesel before any of the hybrids.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
So whats the best looking, best performing hybrid out there for the buck? I'm looking to get one for my sick commute sometime in the near future. I'm not looking to spend over 25k
bio-diesel seems to be the new thing these days, that's what all the rich californians are turning to, must be the best.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:01 AM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

Yeah but did you see diesel prices lately??? I just drove by a speedway in the SW burbs and it is $4.39 a gallon
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
Yeah but did you see diesel prices lately??? I just drove by a speedway in the SW burbs and it is $4.39 a gallon
Yeah it's getting ridiculous. Should probably just stick with a 35mpg 4 cylinder.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk

My hyundai gets 41 mpg but rolling in a bmw would be much nicer.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:06 AM
6Teen Cycles

Sportbike: '61 Pan Shovel
Years Riding: Since before 600s were fast!
How you found us: I forgot

Send a message via AIM to geomoto Send a message via Yahoo to geomoto
Quote:
It goes up in the winter time a lot, it will start to come down and level off once the east coast stops using it as heating fuel.

My VW Jetta diesel average over 45MPG with me abusing the crap out of it highway and city mix. I used to laugh at the hybrid owners knowing could kick their ass in acceleration and real world MPG.

“The shapes and beauty of the motor are very important to me. Older bikes have beauty. Modern bikes…I don’t have any favorite shapes.”
-Shinya Kimura

'73 BMW Blog
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:10 AM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
The reason it doesn't take off in America is cause the only options for nice diesel is the Mercedes. Not to mention all the companies charging an outrageous premium on the diesel engine option.

VW Tuerag Diesel bases at $68k for a freaking VW??

Jeep Cherokee Diesel your looking at $40k min.

The Jetta and GOlf are too small for me. I need a Passat Diesel or better yet a Passat wagon Diesel.

Ian
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:16 AM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomoto View Post
It goes up in the winter time a lot, it will start to come down and level off once the east coast stops using it as heating fuel.

My VW Jetta diesel average over 45MPG with me abusing the crap out of it highway and city mix. I used to laugh at the hybrid owners knowing could kick their ass in acceleration and real world MPG.
Are you sure??? Because tommorrow is spring and I still see the price climbing ywice as fast as regular fuel. I don't doubt you as you own a diesel. I always look at deisel prices as I am filling up because I was so so close to buying a F250 crew cab pickup last year for hauling my bikes to the track
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

Quote:
Are you sure??? Because tommorrow is spring and I still see the price climbing ywice as fast as regular fuel. I don't doubt you as you own a diesel. I always look at deisel prices as I am filling up because I was so so close to buying a F250 crew cab pickup last year for hauling my bikes to the track
I am questioning this as well. I remembered diesel being cheaper than gas years back, but not now, freaking a $1 more per gallon lately.

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:18 AM
teets

Sportbike: teets
Years Riding: teets
How you found us: teets

Send a message via AIM to Flounder
So assuming I wanted to save money on buying a car and save money on fuel... what car would you guys get? Civic Hybrid? I cant/won't drive a prius or saturn.

teets
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:21 AM
6Teen Cycles

Sportbike: '61 Pan Shovel
Years Riding: Since before 600s were fast!
How you found us: I forgot

Send a message via AIM to geomoto Send a message via Yahoo to geomoto
Quote:
You can definitely doubt me. I don't own my VW anymore, it was actually to boring to drive so I sold it and got a Mercedes. Once the northeast (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont) start to get good temps the price historically has gone back down. Now I don't know why they are charging more than premium for diesel right now since I've been out of the diesel cars for a couple of years I haven't kept up on pricing.

“The shapes and beauty of the motor are very important to me. Older bikes have beauty. Modern bikes…I don’t have any favorite shapes.”
-Shinya Kimura

'73 BMW Blog
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
$1 more per gallon.

Let's say you have a 15 gallon tank that gets you 45mpg in a diesel car.

And then you have a 15 gallon tank that gets you 35mpg in a gas car.

Is 150 miles of driving worth $15?
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:30 AM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

Diesel shall remain higher than gas. This won't be changing. Diesel mixes have changed in the last few years to a low sulfur mix which costs more to refine.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
So assuming I wanted to save money on buying a car and save money on fuel... what car would you guys get? Civic Hybrid? I cant/won't drive a prius or saturn.
I would probably get a Scion TC. Cheap, good mpg, and it's not hideous.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
$1 more per gallon.

Negative, so you are back at the old gas engine . It would make sense if diesel was around the same price as gas. We will need Rob to come on here and explain why they decided to raise diesel $1 over the price of gas .Probably due to the demand being higher for diesel since everyone is switching to it to get better gas mileage, which equals us being fucked again

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 12:05 PM

Sportbike: 05 Busa LE
Years Riding: too many years to remember but not enough to be great
How you found us: search engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomoto View Post

The sad things is the prices do go up in the winter, but the price of diesel has never been this high. Over the winter it was in the 3.40 per gallon range. It has just recenlty jumped several times in the last two weeks. The last time I filled my truck up I got it for 3.99. Now all the stations are selling it for 4.29. I don't think it's going to come down soon. Biodiesel is a good alternative but lets face it, it's hard to find around here.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
bio-diesel seems to be the new thing these days, that's what all the rich californians are turning to, must be the best.
Biodiesel is about $5 per gallon right now. That tech was more 'last summer' sorta thing and appears to be a passing fad at the moment unless there's a turnaround.
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 12:18 PM

You're better off buying a Hybrid if you do a lot of city driving with lots of starts and stops. They are less effective when traveling on highways because it's almost all gas engine then. So in those cases you're better off saving some bucks and going with a small 4 banger.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 12:05 AM
Rudely Strumpeted

Sportbike: Wee-Strom, 1/2 an SV650
Years Riding: 4 years
How you found us: Irresistable

Quote:
$1 more per gallon.

That's some interesting math..it's the ratio of the gas costs and ratio of mpg's that's relevant, not the incremental cost.

The gasser uses about an extra gallon to go that 150 miles. That's also irrelevant unless you know the actual fuel cost, not just the difference.

To get a benefit from the diesel, the 45/35 must be greater than diesel/RUG price ratio. A dollar differential is a wash at $3.50 gal gas, $4.50 diesel given your mpg examples. A dollar differential at lower prices favors the gasser, and at higher prices favors the diesel.

"Choke on your candor!"
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 12:13 AM

Sportbike: 05 CBR600RR
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: CBR Forum

Send a message via AIM to AgentofDarkness
Apparently VW has developed a Golf (at least I think its a Golf) that gets 88 MPG. Its a TDI Hybrid. I really don't like VWs, but I like that they are releasing diesel engines. I heard VW is going to be releasing a Rabbit Diesel. I've also read that Honda is releasing a 4 cylinder Accord Diesel which gets 60MPG. I think its suppose to be on the market in 09, but I haven't heard much since the initial release statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
In motorcycle terms, that's like taking your Ducati to a dealer for service, and they hand you back a 1979 backfiring Honda 400 Hawk.. because after all, a bike is a bike.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 12:32 AM
2%

Sportbike: nothing for now...
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: JFGI

Send a message via AIM to milkman
or you could get a full electric powered car, like the telsa, costs some dough but never buy gas.

and if im correct the honda insight got something like 60 mpg.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Ex-Ninja

Sportbike: 04 Yamaha R1
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to whitedawg Send a message via Yahoo to whitedawg
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY View Post
You're better off buying a Hybrid if you do a lot of city driving with lots of starts and stops. They are less effective when traveling on highways because it's almost all gas engine then. So in those cases you're better off saving some bucks and going with a small 4 banger.
+1.....People forget that the Prius is made to be a city driver, not a 545 mile highway run gas saver. The reason for this is in the city, the speeds are slower, and if you drive it the way it's supposed to be drivin (not hard on the gas), it's using mostly the electric engine, where at higher speeds, aka 545 mile run on the highway, the gas engine is on 100% of the time, unless you're braking.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 09:35 AM

Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass

Prius really is the suck. The cost of buying one will not offset your gas savings. I think they used to have tax breaks for them but I think that is no more. Let's say you owned a hybrid for a long time... what if the batteries took a dump? Those things have got to be really expensive (and fookin heavy) and there's a shitton of them in the trunk. And someone said it up but the gas mileage on highway is worse than city. When I used to tech for Toyota the customers number one complaint was that the Prius was not getting the advertised MPG's. I personally would not buy a hybrid just yet. They haven't made any breakthrough improvements either so I doubt it'll ever really take off.

If and when I need a new car (or used) I'll buy a light small displacement ULEV or SULEV car that gets about 40+ mpg anyway for the daily grind. A large, nicer gassguzzler would be great for the weekend tasks. If you can't afford both then stick with the econo-box. Don't buy a gigantic SUV just because you popped out 1 kid and think you need all that room. Or a uselessly large minivan for that matter.

Disclaimer: I'm just stating my opinion on the matter and don't want or need your snide comments and/or dissection of my opinion either. TIA.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 10:44 AM

Sportbike: 03 honda f4i,03 z1000
Years Riding: 9 years
How you found us: cerkmx

for the record...last december diesel prices were 2.99 and now im paying 4.09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm View Post
Nothing compared to the Toyota Tundra, huh??
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 11:13 AM

Sportbike: '14 BMW S1000R, '06 Triumph Scrambler / '06 BMW R1200GSA
Years Riding: Long time...
How you found us: VTR 996 - in '02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipely View Post
That's some interesting math..it's the ratio of the gas costs and ratio of mpg's that's relevant, not the incremental cost.

The gasser uses about an extra gallon to go that 150 miles. That's also irrelevant unless you know the actual fuel cost, not just the difference.

To get a benefit from the diesel, the 45/35 must be greater than diesel/RUG price ratio. A dollar differential is a wash at $3.50 gal gas, $4.50 diesel given your mpg examples. A dollar differential at lower prices favors the gasser, and at higher prices favors the diesel.

Well said.

Tom / '06 Triumph Scrambler / '06 BMW R1200GSA / 1969 Honda Mini-Trail / '14 BMW S1000R
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk

My brother had an 84 vw rabbit diesel. It got 45+ MPG.
I do almost all highway driving, and my '96 Hyundai Accent gets between 38 and 41 MPG. I paid $800 for it, so with fuel the price it is, the car will pay for itself by the end of summer.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzx9r View Post
I would probably get a Scion TC. Cheap, good mpg, and it's not hideous.
I bought my tC for those reasons, and surprisingly, I don't get very good gas mileage. I'd say about a 50/50 mixture of highway/city driving, and I've been getting pretty close to 24 mpg consistently between tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode