does anyone shave with a straight razor? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

does anyone shave with a straight razor?

since the age of 15 i have always had a thick beard and my facial hair currently is thicker then chuck norris.

last night i ALMOST ordered some crappy knife set off shop at home and it got me thinking about this last night. i went searching for sites and info.

6 hours later i saw it was 7am

i have found alot of info, only need to research 2 blade options of steel content. but i found tons of videos and instruction from use,care,honing with a strop and wet stoning when needed. lather, etc, etc, etc.

i am ready to do it.

the only 1 REAL question i have for someone that has done it a few times or for years is DO YOU REALLY get a better shave then EVEN WITH a saftey razor which what i have been using for years since any disposable or even mach3's i can wear it out in 1 shave!

please let me know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

Sportbike: Rockets & Harleys
Years Riding: Me love you long time
How you found us: CLSB DECAL

You my friend should for one not have to worry about this. Dont you just stop by the Salon and get the VIP hook up..

Pedicure, manicure, spa bath, massage, hot shave with hot towel treatment and all the trim, oops I mean trimmings and a tan to boot...

WTF.......Pimp..

***Ashwin RIP Brotha you will be missed***

www.dcdecals.net www.firespeed.com

Life's Journey Is Not To Arrive At The Grave Safely In A Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Sideways, Totally Worn Out, Shouting "HOLY SHIT... What A Ride!"

All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never under estimate your opponent (mentality). Expect the unexpected (could work out in your favor). Two, take it outside(or to a table). Never start anything inside the Bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.

Turning Shit into Sugar!!
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Highspeed ditch inspector

Sportbike: CB-360, RST Futura, 96/97/98/99 compilation of gixxers into one trackbike.
Years Riding: Since 2000
How you found us: Member

Strait razors are good as long as they are sharp. Dull razor=lots of pain

Also very easy to nic your self. I have niced myself every time I have used one. 30+ times.

!!!!!!!(.)(.)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!). (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!( y )!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Garage
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Teach me to Ride Please

Sportbike: 2012 HD street glide, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2006 CBR F4I, 2003 Honda XR50
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: The voices in my head

Send a message via AIM to Guess Who? Send a message via MSN to Guess Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
since the age of 15 i have always had a thick beard and my facial hair currently is thicker then chuck norris.

last night i ALMOST ordered some crappy knife set off shop at home and it got me thinking about this last night. i went searching for sites and info.

6 hours later i saw it was 7am

i have found alot of info, only need to research 2 blade options of steel content. but i found tons of videos and instruction from use,care,honing with a strop and wet stoning when needed. lather, etc, etc, etc.

i am ready to do it.

the only 1 REAL question i have for someone that has done it a few times or for years is DO YOU REALLY get a better shave then EVEN WITH a saftey razor which what i have been using for years since any disposable or even mach3's i can wear it out in 1 shave!

please let me know.
Just get a little Nair. Let that sit on your face for awhile and wipe off. It will leave your face as smooth as a babies ass.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Ninja Kick!

Sportbike: 09 R6 09, RS125
Years Riding: Not enough
How you found us: Spongebob

I was using one for a couple of months, and there is a reason they are called cut-throat razors... The shave is definitely better, but takes far more time to do. The first time I tried I made the silly mistake of trying to shave my head with it before my chin - trust someone else do your head.

Overall I like using cut-throats, but for the time it takes to shave with it, it isn't worth it.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn View Post
You my friend should for one not have to worry about this. Dont you just stop by the Salon and get the VIP hook up..

Pedicure, manicure, spa bath, massage, hot shave with hot towel treatment and all the trim, oops I mean trimmings and a tan to boot...

WTF.......Pimp..

its a salon not a barber shop, TRUST ME i wish my wife or the girls can get into that but believe it or not, you must be a licensed (barber) in order to do that.

Also i trust no man to hold any knife to my face let alone my throat, NOR any women including my wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
I was using one for a couple of months, and there is a reason they are called cut-throat razors... The shave is definitely better, but takes far more time to do. The first time I tried I made the silly mistake of trying to shave my head with it before my chin - trust someone else do your head.

Overall I like using cut-throats, but for the time it takes to shave with it, it isn't worth it.
thanks for the advise so far guys

post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

Nothing to contribute but bump for something I've been curious about as well.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 09:36 PM

Sportbike: CB-360, RST Futura, 96/97/98/99 compilation of gixxers into one trackbike.

Quote:
its a salon not a barber shop, TRUST ME i wish my wife or the girls can get into that but believe it or not, you must be a licensed (barber) in order to do that.

Also i trust no man to hold any knife to my face let alone my throat, NOR any women including my wife

thanks for the advise so far guys
I have gone to numerous old time barbors and none of them would give me a shave. Insurance issues have stoped them from offering that service.

My Garage
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

My local barber shop charges $35 for a shave because of insurance.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave13 View Post
My local barber shop charges $35 for a shave because of insurance.
Where is your barber? I can't find one anywhere that still does it.

My Garage
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

PM sent.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 09:46 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
pimp factor is high. especially if you carry it in your boot.

But I now use Gilette fusion

Im hooked on it for the closest shave because it has those safeties on top and bottom to make it even as possible across your face.

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 09:49 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

I got a haircut and a shave with a straight razor at an old school corner barber in Naperville on Washington Street, block north of the YMCA about a year and a half ago for like $30. Greatest freaking experience ever. Hot towel, the works.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa View Post
I got a haircut and a shave with a straight razor at an old school corner barber in Naperville on Washington Street, block north of the YMCA about a year and a half ago for like $30. Greatest freaking experience ever. Hot towel, the works.
ahh hot towel. you know i HATE shaving, and dont get me wrong we all know how to shave to some degree. but i learned some new stuff last night that i never knew and now i am gonna go buy some stuff tomorrow for the next time i shave with my old safety razor that will help since i have sensitive facial skin.

i am almost excited to shave now and hope what i found out will help make me do it more often and enjoy it.

i would need to shave almost every 12 hours to keep
shadow stubs from coming back.

nothing worse in life then having your women cant even stand your face on there skin even 12 hours after a shave cause it irritates the hell out of there skin

post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 10:00 PM
im the greek guy

Sportbike: Currently taking a break
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: the monkey made me do it

Send a message via AIM to Pete The Greek
fusion FTW!!!

sometimes you need to run before you can walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama View Post
CLSB, where you find the truth about fat girls and blow jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
When I got mine it died quickly from playing with it all day, after a while I can make it last the whole day.
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Quote:
i would need to shave almost every 12 hours to keep
shadow stubs from coming back.

nothing worse in life then having your women cant even stand your face on there skin even 12 hours after a shave cause it irritates the hell out of there skin

The hair on my upper lip is the same way, it's a real bitch and it makes me look like a guy in a mariachi band when I wake up in the morning.

Post up links to these helpful tips you've found if you can, I'd be interested to read them.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 10:30 PM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

It is not worth it and it will take alot of time to get it mastered. You will know when somewone has mastered staight razor shaving when they use a vackhand shave stroke. If I where you I would just play it safe and continue using your bic razors.
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

when i get some time ill go through some of the you tube videos and post the videos for you guys to watch, which to me while some goofy there is tips and technics to be learned most of all watch.

ill sift through them at some point and post up the most informational ones, so it doesn't take you hours of sifting through stuff.

but some of the stuff i learned i think will help anyone get a better shave are these things i learned. some are known but i thought i would just list them all in the order i found it needs to be done in.

we are shaving ourself in a wham bam thank you mam lets get it over with. be it a normal razor to most of all a straight razor. take your time.

open up your pores with hot water and softening the hair. like after a shower, hot water wash repeatedly scrubbing up and down with hot water on your face.

a shaving oil to aid the glide of the razor which helps minimize irritation and also gives a better shave.

then add

a watery shaving lather and keep it wet, apply as needed around all, re apply to areas that got dry. just cause you have lather doesn't mean you'll have a nice guide.

shaving pressure doesn't need to be hard, let the weight of a good razor do the work instead if pushing down hard like most of us do.

unlike a straight razor, keep washing out with HOT water any hair in your razor from your short strokes you have been making.

1st complete shave should follow the downward following the growth of your hair pattern like most of us have cowlick's on our throats. follow it best you can.

repeat lather to whole face for the 2nd and more closer shave. this time go against the the growth pattern or even cross ways from it.

when done cold rinse to close the pores, and use a after shave lotion or wash that does kill any bacterial you took off from dead skin, cleans any rash or nicks and most of all soothes the skin far better then if you just did a cold rinse.

maintaining a SHARP razor in any form is the best result for a smooth, easy and less irritating shave.

now to be honest i have never done all that crap, and i sure as shit haven't used after shave in over 15 years cause it fucken burns! (which is why they have alcohol in most after shaves which is to disinfect)

well thats what i found out best to suggest to others. don't know if your doing it all that way, but i know i wasn't since i am one of those WAM BAM shaver kinda guys cause i hate it.

Last edited by Odysseys; 03-23-2008 at 10:35 PM.
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 10:35 PM
G2G

Quote:

How about an x wife LOL My X is a babrber and straight razors me every 2 weeks
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Quote:
when i get some time ill go through some of the you tube videos and post the videos for you guys to watch, which to me while some goofy there is tips and technics to be learned most of all watch.

ill sift through them at some point and post up the most informational ones, so it doesn't take you hours of sifting through stuff.

but some of the stuff i learned i think will help anyone get a better shave are these things i learned. some are known but i thought i would just list them all in the order i found it needs to be done in.

we are shaving ourself in a wham bam thank you mam lets get it over with. be it a normal razor to most of all a straight razor. take your time.

open up your pores with hot water and softening the hair. like after a shower, hot water wash repeatedly scrubbing up and down with hot water on your face.

a shaving oil to aid the glide of the razor which helps minimize irritation and also gives a better shave.

then add

a watery shaving lather and keep it wet, apply as needed around all, re apply to areas that got dry. just cause you have lather doesn't mean you'll have a nice guide.

shaving pressure doesn't need to be hard, let the weight of a good razor do the work instead if pushing down hard like most of us do.

unlike a straight razor, keep washing out with HOT water any hair in your razor from your short strokes you have been making.

1st complete shave should follow the downward following the growth of your hair pattern like most of us have cowlick's on our throats. follow it best you can.

repeat lather to whole face for the 2nd and more closer shave. this time go against the the growth pattern.

when done cold rinse to close the pores, and use a after shave lotion or wash that does kill any bacterial you took off from dead skin, cleans any rash or nicks and most of all soothes the skin far better then if you just did a cold rinse.

maintaining a SHARP razor in any form is the best result for a smooth, easy and less irritating shave.

now to be honest i have never done all that crap, and i sure as shit haven't used after shave in over 15 years cause it fucken burns! (which is why they have alcohol in most after shaves which is to disinfect)

well thats what i found out best to suggest to others. don't know if your doing it all that way, but i know i wasn't since i am one of those WAM BAM shaver kinda guys cause i hate it.
Another tip I picked up is to keep your safety razor in rubbing alcohol between shaves. First, it keeps the blade disinfected. second, it prevents oxidization/corrosion that dulls the blade.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
How about an x wife LOL My X is a babrber and straight razors me every 2 weeks
fuck no, but then again i know you like punishment

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Another tip I picked up is to keep your safety razor in rubbing alcohol between shaves. First, it keeps the blade disinfected. second, it prevents oxidization/corrosion that dulls the blade.
i feel like a fucken pig ill be honest through the years of using my gold plated safety razor needless to say it has tons of soap build up even after finish rinsing and dry off.

i like your idea, i am gonna have my wife get me one of those barber jars and some barbercide to keep it in when not use or ill ask her since he has been using that stuff for years for use or cleaning it after.

post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Gillete mach 3 turbo FTW. the vibrating feature makes the shave feel much better. I buy value packs of blades at costco.

Plus the straight razor is hard on my balls.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 11:21 PM
G2G

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiReBReTHa View Post
pimp factor is high. especially if you carry it in your boot.

But I now use Gilette fusion

Im hooked on it for the closest shave because it has those safeties on top and bottom to make it even as possible across your face.

I just bought this 5 min ago since I went to the store for groceries. It better be good or else i am kicking your ass. LOL I bought the battery version though
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 11:35 PM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

Well, I guess it depends on which hair needs a trimmin.

Straight edge - good for the face, bad for the jock.

As far as your legs are concerned Ken, I'd stick with that Gillette Venus Embrace for Women shaver you're currently using.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 11:38 PM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
I just bought this 5 min ago since I went to the store for groceries. It better be good or else i am kicking your ass. LOL I bought the battery version though
It's what I use(not the vibrating one though), I love it.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 11:42 PM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Plus the straight razor is hard on my balls.
beat me to it

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Every motor needs a turbo

Sportbike: Had a Liquid Silver R1
Years Riding: longer than paved roads were common
How you found us: fellow rider

Quote:
does anyone shave with a straight razor?
my dad

i wish i could shave smooth have with any type of razor. i cant use an electric razor to shave close either. my facial skin is way too sensative. i havent close shaved in over a year.

post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 12:13 AM
Irony helps us play!

Sportbike: 2000 F4
Years Riding: Long enough to know better
How you found us: some hot MILF whispered it in my ear

Dude, you are over-thinking a commodity based chore.

Everyone Exaggerates

We're being taken for a ride... agaaaaaaain.....

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
Dude, you are over-thinking a commodity based chore.
i am looking for a luxury shave that will also change my habits and fill my needs regaurdless of what type of razor it is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode