Upcoming Interview... What kind of questions should I expect? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Upcoming Interview... What kind of questions should I expect?

Alright all employed members... I finally got an interview for the job I've wanted all year. I'm graduating in late April from the University of Michigan. While, I've done a couple of interviews, this is the most important by far. What kind of questions have you asked/been asked? The company deals with institutional investing. PM me if you think the company name is needed for your advice to hit the mark. TIA

Edit: Also the position being applied for has to do with fund accounting and administration...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 12:07 PM
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins

Send a message via AIM to FiReBReTHa
search for a recent thread like this, it was REALLY good!

www.firespeedtactical.com
Trial By Fire.
Like our page!
http://www.facebook.com/firespeedtactical

Quote:
"I'm spooning a barrett 50 cal. I could kill a building."
-Archer
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 12:13 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

Google this, also look at monster.com and careerbuilder.com-- they have good sample questions. Sometimes if you google the company's name and "interview questions" you can find info about interview q's from people who have interviewed with them. It's hit or miss, though.

If you have time, go do a mock interview at your school's career center. It is a REALLY valuable activity.
I was thinking about offering a day of these for clsb members. This topic comes up often.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 12:27 PM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

Be prepared to expect questions about your successes, your failures, how you have worked in team environments, how you handle stress, how you handle uncertainty (like vague instructions, etc).

Occasionally, some companies will go deeper in psychological questions, but for the most part, if its entry level, they will want to hear how your experience matches the job you're interviewing for (even the most basic elementary things).

Be on time and it doesn't hurt to send a thank you followup email or hand-written card to the interviewer.

Good luck.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 12:40 PM
pfft.

Wear a suit, tie, and dress shoes no matter what people tell you.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 12:43 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Make sure to do all of your research and know everything you can about the company prior to the interview. Being a very well informed and enthusiastic and interested applicant goes a long way.

Best of luck Kyle.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Bring a notepad and take notes during the interview then ask questions other than salary and benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 01:00 PM
pfft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Bring a notepad and take notes during the interview then ask questions other than salary and benefits.
YES.
+1

Actually, this reminds me..... when I interview, I always bring a list of sample questions and possible answers. It's just a notepad and I have some bullets on it like:

-teamwork
-failure
-struggle
-lesson learned
-favorite course
-least favorite course

And then next to those I have some quick responses. For example, next to "teamwork" it says "senior project/schedule problems, late night AF proposal, charity 5k walk"
That way I have three possible answers to any question-- sometimes you use up an example on one question and then instead of using it again, you've got another one.

It's PERFECTLY OK to refer to your notes in an interview. Also, take notes during your interview. Don't be cocky, but DO show that you are interviewing them.....because you are! Having/using a notepad shows organization and attention to detail.
Also, be relaxed and cool. Smile, be funny, etc. They mostly want to see that you can fit in. They know that you are qualified (otherwise they wouldn't be interviewing) but they don't know "you."
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 01:14 PM
Lick Me

Sportbike: '01 sv650s, CRF 70
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: from moparboyy

Send a message via AIM to HeavyHand
be honest if they ask you your dream job dont blow smoke up there ass and say a job at thier company. in college i got my first job by saying i wanted to work the scoreboard at wrigley field. later on they said that was the only honset answer they got at the carrier fair. just hope they have a sence of hummor.

-Nick
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 01:14 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

There is my all time favorite question my partner used on a final interview.

"If you were a tree, what kind would you be?" The poor guy sitting there just looked at me with the best WTF look on his face. I worked hard to keep a straight face, said you start Monday and welcome to learning how to deal with Harold. I then got up and walked out. He ended up being one of my better employees and a good friend.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 01:16 PM
pfft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHand View Post
be honest if they ask you your dream job dont blow smoke up there ass and say a job at thier company. in college i got my first job by saying i wanted to work the scoreboard at wrigley field. later on they said that was the only honset answer they got at the carrier fair. just hope they have a sence of hummor.
Yeah I love that answer. Mine was I wanted to play first base for the yankees. I was like "hell no my dream job isn't accounting for the government's environmental mistakes!"
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 01:52 PM
Mmmmmm....

Sportbike: RIP Rsux
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Send a message via AIM to Pinkrider
Definitely agree with everyone that you should bring a prepared list of questions you would like to ask them. Ask questions such as why the previous person left, what would be your biggest challenge in this position, etc. Also ask the interviewer what they like best about working for the company. Don't mention anything to do with salary and benefits unless they bring it up. You should wait until they offer you the position before you ask about pay. Also, do your research ahead of time and make sure you visit their website and learn as much as you can about the company. Some interviewers will actually ask you what you know about the company to find out if you are well prepared. Make sure you have a joke prepared in case you are asked for one and make sure it's work appropriate.

Lastly, if they offer you a drink, make sure you accept. If you are being asked a tough question and you need a moment to think about the answer you can always take a sip of your drink to buy a few seconds.

Sometimes your knight in shining armor is just a retard wrapped in tin foil.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

Unless you are a Teamster. Then when asked a question you say, "Sorry, but I'll have to talk to my rep b4 answering that.".

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 02:21 PM

I interview quite a few recent grads and here are a few tips (my $0.02)

(1) Be well rested. You may need to meet with 5 or 6 different people throughout the day....yawning at me isn't impressive.

(2) Don't tell me what you think I want to hear...have an opinion, ask questions, if you want to impress or challenge a middle manager ask "is each office is a profit center"? But understand the question before you ask.

(3) Don't wear "bar clothes". Don't wear a mini-skirt, glitter, green eye shadow, low-cut top or thigh-high nylons. Don't wear a suit that your Mom bought you for 8th grade graduation. Comb your hair.

(4) Don't embellish your achievments. I read 1,000 resumes a year - don't tell me that your high school job was lead designer on the Space Shuttle.

(5) Answer with clear and concise thoughts. Don't ramble.

(6) If you're asked to point out a fault of yours use "workaholic", "perfectionist" or "expect others to care about their work as much as me" or something like that. Don't use "get really bad hangovers when I drink".

(7) Do not call me dude.

(8) Send a follow-up note or email. Write out each word in proper English. If I see this..."thx 4 c-ing me, l8r dude." I will delete the email and forget that you exist.

(9) Relax...this is the only time in your career where you're 100% in the driver's seat.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 02:25 PM
BIKELESS!

Sportbike: Aprilla SXV 550
Years Riding: Long enough to know what I am doing!
How you found us: Husband

Also, interviewers are asking personality-based questions. You can google this new type of interview questions so you have a better idea.

Isn't it the freakin' weekend yet???
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 03:31 PM
pfft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racesbikes View Post
(2) Don't tell me what you think I want to hear...have an opinion, ask questions, if you want to impress or challenge a middle manager ask "is each office is a profit center"? But understand the question before you ask.

(6) If you're asked to point out a fault of yours use "workaholic", "perfectionist" or "expect others to care about their work as much as me" or something like that. Don't use "get really bad hangovers when I drink".
Agree on all of it....but those two points are especially insightful.
When asked my shortcomings or faults I like to say that I don't yet know the company's systems/processes and that I would need some ramp-up time. and then I say how quickly I could voercome that and how good of a learner I am.

As for point #2-- I couldn't agree more. If you don't understand something, jsut say so-- better yet, I love it when a candidate says "I don't understand-- is it sorta like this____?" and then gives an alalogy. Shows they can think for themselves and they can translate info. That's always good.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Awesome responses guys, thanks a lot... I've got 100 questions off careerbuilder and monster to go over.

Is there any kind of body language that impresses/annoys you that I should stay away from?
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 04:11 PM
El Burrito Volador

Sportbike: 05 GSXR600 / 04 GSXR600
Years Riding: I'm a rookie.
How you found us: NESBA

wear a clean shirt...

Erik
05 GSXR600
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 04:44 PM
pfft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaarider View Post
Awesome responses guys, thanks a lot... I've got 100 questions off careerbuilder and monster to go over.

Is there any kind of body language that impresses/annoys you that I should stay away from?
If you have a limp noodle handshake fix it now. Better firm, tight, and nearly bone-crushing than limp noodle. Nothing says "don't hire me" like a limp noodle handshake.
The handshake is the only time in your life where it's ok to eb a one-pump chump. One good firm pump and you're in. One lousy handshake and no one will ever want to come near you again.

And don't slouch.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 05:03 PM
I wok!

Sportbike: 2006 felt f65 and a 07 STI
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: wtf is this shit...

previous work history
faults in your resume to see if you faked it
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaarider View Post

Don't put too much stock into studying CareerBuilder questions/responses....your answers will sound like they're memorized and you're just parroting them back. The first 25 people the interviewer talks to will have had the same responses - be unique. Technical people usually fail at this - they dwell on finding the perfect answer. Show common sense - if the doorbell is broken, do you know enough to knock?

As for body language....sit up straight, eye contact, don't flick your hair, don't chew your pen, TURN YOUR CELL PHONE OFF, don't fidget, don't chew gum like it's cud, don't pick your teeth, obviously no burping or farting, laugh politely if a joke is made - don't guffaw, if you have a cough/cold bring a tissue, woman should cross their legs - men shouldn't, and always pay attention to the interviewer.

Be prepared for a mutliple person Q&A session - look directly at the person asking the question. Also keep in mind, a junior "ass kisser" may ask a smartass question to make you look bad and him/her look good....if you suspect that, do not hestitate to call them on it.

Study people that interview well....watch someone like John Tavolta answer questions to a late night host. He is always in control - he exudes confidence and charisma. Be proud of your school/degree and prove to them you haven't wasted their time in talking to you. Separate yourself from the sheep.

Good luck.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 05:12 PM

One other thing.

They will check references - guaranteed.

More importantly, they will google your name - so if your MySpace site has pics of you getting spanked by a midget in a clown suit - remove it.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Alright, I passed the two interviews by phone!!! Thursday at 8:30am comes the big one...
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Offered the Job this morning!!!! Now I've got to find a way to delay a couple weeks so I can see where another job interview leads.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Congrats on winning the offer! Best of luck Kyle. Where do you expect to be living? Will we be seeing you at the track anymore?

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Kansas City or Boston... Hopefully Kansas City. Will probably be at the track a lot more since I have no other place to spend an actual income...
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Slow Old Guy.

LOL! Well, let's hope KC wins out then!

Best of luck.

===========

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Wow 3 months to get the job?!!! Brutal. I hope it comes with a key to the executive head.

Congrats!

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 03:24 PM
MIA for awhile...

Sportbike: '02 Suzuki SV650s and '06 GSXR600
Years Riding: Since 2006
How you found us: Papa Wink

congrats!

Tina Wink
NESBA I#328

Couldn't be better if I'd written it myself: http://www.trackdaymag.com/Article.aspx?id=114

RIP Simona Vesela 1/9/86-6/25/07
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 10:16 PM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

Nice work! I guess I'm to late to give you any suggestions for the interview. Hopefully I can do the same soon.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode