Fricn' brother-in-law...grrrrr!!!!!!! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Fricn' brother-in-law...grrrrr!!!!!!!

Saturday afternoon after I worked for my dad my wife calls me to tell me she's at her brothers new house and wanted me to go there instead of home. After working all day I didn't feel like getting stuck moving anybody, and her brothers have never been willing to help us out for that, but she assured me it was just to hang out.

I get there and My wife said they moved a dresser in my suv. I'm like ok and ask if they put something down so they didn't rip or sirty up or stain my carpeting. Of course they said no but nothing happened. I went out there to put a blanket down I had in the trunk of my other car cause he had a couple of more things to move and BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. There was rust colored crap all over the interior and the fasteners that hold the seat were pulled out.

I was livid......and admittedly a bit rough on the wife, had to apologize for flying off the handle later. Man I was sooooo pissed. I remember the last time he moved from college when I went up there for his graduation and found him loading my truck with his things. Then when we got back to his parents house he left a message to drop all his stuff off in his room there cause he was gonna stay at school to party a couple more days. So I got stuck moving a truckload full of stuff for him. Then his brother trashed his grandma's 2 flat and my brother and I went up there and threw all his stuff out so my wife and I could move in when we got married and fix all he trashed. Guess the brother that trashed the place or any other family members didn't show up to help then either.

So again I'm livid and tired of being taken advantage of. I demanded my wife drop everything and bring the truck home. Turns out the rust colored stuff was dust from the wood stained dresser and some of it worked it's way into the carpet pretty good. I spent the afternoon scrubbing it with stain removers. It came out but I'm hoping all the stain remover didn't discolor anything.

Anyway, to sum things up I'm pretty sure my wifes family thinks I'm the jerk cause of the way I acted and just left like that. I really don't care cause her brothers have never been there for us and we seem to do nothing but bail them out of jams all the time. They are family though so my wife is pretty upset. It's a big dilema for me though. I don't really want to apologize for the way I acted cause IMO, and what I told my wife, There were 5 bachelor degrees a masters and a doctrine degree in the room while they were moving a dirty old dresser and not one of these peopel were smart enough to put something down so my truck doesn't get ruined. Maybe, I'm not very forgiving of stupidity like this but I can't find any excuse for it. Plus it really gets to me the way her brothers have taken advantage of us in the past.

Am I so wrong?????

(wow.......that turned out longer than I thought) sorry

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
when you borrow something always return it the way you got it, or better. f him. you are right.

Chris
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 12:17 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
I agree with VCook 100%.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 12:23 PM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

NO YOU ARE NOT WRONG!!!

That was your shit you worked hard for if your In-Laws do not have enough respect for your stuff then its pretty obvious they have just as much respect for you!

When i Married into the family i was always asked can you help me do this and do that cause you have a truck or i swear it will only take a minute.......Then when i asked the same Bro in law to come over and help me move a mattress and box spring (wife was pregnant) his excuse was oh i don't want to take a chance on hurting my back and then the next time (i was livid) i installed a lift to remove the cap from my truck i needed a hand holding a 6' rail while i screwed it in his next excuse was oh i don't want to hurt my back. I told him to keep his precious back safe and in bed so quit calling me to do shit for you when you need something! Wow was the wife pissed that i would talk to her brother like that! She said something in front of him and i looked at her and said you got something to say about it you do the work he asks for and next time you need help with the groceries call him over if it won't hurt his back! I am tired of always giving and never recieving. Well that lasted 6 months without a word from him but its kind a funny that the following spring i was going to paint the bedrooms and guess what he was there to help without even asking him! If i need help with anything he is right there and vice-versa! worked out well speaking up for myself!

Crazy you were right in what you did but next time tell him you want that truck cleaned just like it was or you will send him the bill to have it professionally done.

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 12:26 PM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

Only appologize for collateral damage. Sounds like they fired the first shot.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 12:27 PM

I really feel bad for you on this one. I can understand how being walked over really makes your blood boil but the fact it is family complicates the situation. I am sorry to say but you are limited in what you can do. I would convienently always have something to do whenever there is a call to help them out. Have a serious talk with your wife about how you are tired of getting walked on and have examples. Be understanding if she has an overwhelming feeling to help since it is her brothers. However, if you can let her know how bothered you are by her brothers using you, she could start to understand and help you out. She could talk to them, turn them down on favors they ask or get them to help you for a change. Good luck and I hope this helped since I am not sure if you were venting or asking for advice.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye
I am not sure if you were venting or asking for advice.

A little of both I guess . To be honest I have little need for their help. I've gotten along fine without them. One of them had to ask for directions to my house last week cause he had never been there and I've lived there almost 2 years . Problem is they seem to show up whenever were feeding them or whatever or like when we were moving a couple of them showed up for the food and left before the truck got there.

Problem is I really layed into the wife cause she was there to let it happen. She says that this particular brother has good intentions and would be there if we needed him, but the past events still leaves me skeptical. I did kind of embarass her in front of my brother in laws fiance'. I know that was stupid and she had nothing to do with it. I'm sure the whole family is gonna think I'm a real jerk though either way. None of them really take care of the things they own so they don't understand why I cared my truck was messed up especially since I got the stains out. I say I shouldn't have had to take the stains out if they were considerate enough to put something down before hand. Plus I'm pissed that the plastic and stuff got all scuffed and scratched from them too. It wasn't perfect before, but it sure wasn't that bad either.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 12:58 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

kick his ass.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Odysseys
kick his ass.

That's what I got you for.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 01:24 PM
Please attend carefully..

Sportbike: 2000 ZX6R (the green one!)
Years Riding: 2000
How you found us: I've been here a while...

<-----Thankful that you never fixed me up with anyone in that family.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy

Problem is I really layed into the wife cause she was there to let it happen. ...... I did kind of embarass her in front of my brother in laws fiance'. I know that was stupid and she had nothing to do with it.
Please recall what you originally posted and don't feel so bad:

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy
but she assured me it was just to hang out.

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - JP2

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

"everyone's a nutjob, some just have more restraint than others" - EndlessRR
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 01:59 PM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

The tough thing about who you marry is that you also marry their family. My wife has been where you are but, I have stopped the nonsense from my family members. As long as they are being responsible, I'll help them. If they are being irresponsible I will not help.

By the same token my wife's family does things that I'm not real crazy about but, assuming they aren't having a negative effect on my wife, myself, and our son I let things go.

You don't have to be accepting of bad behavior and it's completely reasonable to state that there are times when you will not be placed in position, where advantage of you will be taken.

Better yet, qualify the conditions under which you will and will not help and let them make the decisions.

Taborn

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 02:48 PM
CLSB SuperHero

Sportbike: None right now
Years Riding: since '95
How you found us: friend

They may be book smart...but seems like they dont have a lick of common sense or street smarts.

Life is too short to ride anything but an R1

In memory of FastBlueR1...RIP

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by TerminatorR1
They may be book smart...but seems like they dont have a lick of common sense or street smarts.

That brother is the only one with a degree (bachelors) his fiance is a physical therapist and the rest of the degrees belonged to friends that were there.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 02:57 PM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally posted by TerminatorR1
Well said My Dad's favorite saying "Common sense, isn't common anymore!"

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 03:01 PM
K.I.S.S

Sportbike: CBR600RR & H-D Softail Custom
Years Riding: almost as long as it took to fill this out
How you found us: through a miracle

Send a message via AIM to MikeD
i feel your pain man. heres sometime along the same lines.

background info: we just moved in w/ my moms boyfriend:
- his dad has a "little house" its like an apt. in his back yard.
- i didnt have a bedroom so i was sleeping in the frontroom w/ all my stuff in a duffel bag
- his son was leaveing for college in 1 year

His dad said we can move in to the little house if we cleaned it up/toar down a wall/ and painted it.

so my gf and i cleaned it, (he was never around when work was to be done) took down the walls, and did all the work and painted 75+% of it.
then he went to his dad and cried about how him and his friends think he should live there alone.

needless to say. they bought me a burow (sp?) to keep my stuff in (so it stays out of sight) and let him move in. i got nothing not even a thanks for doing all the work.

i hate ungratefull jerks!!!

Willard: When I was home after my first tour, it was worse. I'd wake up and there'd be nothing. I hardly said a word to my wife, until I said "yes" to a divorce. When I was here, I wanted to be there; when I was there, all I could think of was getting back into the jungle.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 03:06 PM

Screw them!!!! Academic knowledge never equals common sense.

My roomate has the same degree as me, but jsut last night I explained to him how to check the oil on his car. I startede getting in depth, then backed up and dumbed it way, way down.

The guy could school me at chess or any game like that, but I have to throughly explain why checking the air in your tires is not the same as repalcing worn out tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode