11 Innacuracies in Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

11 Innacuracies in Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth"

I was going to add this to the other "global warming" thread, but figured it deserves it's own.

Taken from http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sh...nvenient-truth

Court Identifies Eleven Inaccuracies in Al Gore’s ‘An Inconvenient Truth’
By Noel Sheppard | October 9, 2007 - 00:55 ET

Here's something American media are virtually guaranteed to not report: a British court has determined that Al Gore's schlockumentary "An Inconvenient Truth" contains at least eleven material falsehoods.

It seems a safe bet Matt Lauer and Diane Sawyer won't be discussing this Tuesday morning, wouldn't you agree?

For those that haven't been following this case, a British truck driver filed a lawsuit to prevent the airing of Gore's alarmist detritus in England's public schools.

According to the website of the political party the plaintiff, Stewart Dimmock, belongs to (ecstatic emphasis added throughout, h/t Marc Morano):

In order for the film to be shown, the Government must first amend their Guidance Notes to Teachers to make clear that 1.) The Film is a political work and promotes only one side of the argument. 2.) If teachers present the Film without making this plain they may be in breach of section 406 of the Education Act 1996 and guilty of political indoctrination. 3.) Eleven inaccuracies have to be specifically drawn to the attention of school children.

How marvelous. And what are those inaccuracies?

The film claims that melting snows on Mount Kilimanjaro evidence global warming. The Government's expert was forced to concede that this is not correct.

The film suggests that evidence from ice cores proves that rising CO2 causes temperature increases over 650,000 years. The Court found that the film was misleading: over that period the rises in CO2 lagged behind the temperature rises by 800-2000 years.

The film uses emotive images of Hurricane Katrina and suggests that this has been caused by global warming. The Government's expert had to accept that it was "not possible" to attribute one-off events to global warming.

The film shows the drying up of Lake Chad and claims that this was caused by global warming. The Government's expert had to accept that this was not the case.

The film claims that a study showed that polar bears had drowned due to disappearing arctic ice. It turned out that Mr Gore had misread the study: in fact four polar bears drowned and this was because of a particularly violent storm.

The film threatens that global warming could stop the Gulf Stream throwing Europe into an ice age: the Claimant's evidence was that this was a scientific impossibility.

The film blames global warming for species losses including coral reef bleaching. The Government could not find any evidence to support this claim.
The film suggests that the Greenland ice covering could melt causing sea levels to rise dangerously. The evidence is that Greenland will not melt for millennia.

The film suggests that the Antarctic ice covering is melting, the evidence was that it is in fact increasing.

The film suggests that sea levels could rise by 7m causing the displacement of millions of people. In fact the evidence is that sea levels are expected to rise by about 40cm over the next hundred years and that there is no such threat of massive migration.

The film claims that rising sea levels has caused the evacuation of certain Pacific islands to New Zealand. The Government are unable to substantiate this and the Court observed that this appears to be a false claim.
In the end, a climate change skeptic in the States must hope that an American truck driver files such a lawsuit here so that a U.S. judge can make similar determinations.

Of course, even if one could find such an impartial jurist, our media wouldn't find it newsworthy, would they?

—Noel Sheppard is an economist, business owner, and Associate Editor of NewsBusters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 08:59 AM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

I still think there is alot of truth to this movie. I watched it for the first time 2 days ago and it is wierd that you posted this while it is fresh in my mind. I plan on watching it again tonight. There is one thing for certian though we are headed for disater if we don't change our ways.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 09:05 AM
rider, rider, racer, ride

Sportbike: Street: 2007 Hayabusa, Track: 2005 R6
Years Riding: Long enough to know there is a lot to learn
How you found us: Moses told me

Send a message via AIM to bluebusa07 Send a message via Yahoo to bluebusa07
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa View Post
I was going to add this to the other "global warming" thread, but figured it deserves it's own.

Taken from http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sh...nvenient-truth

Court Identifies Eleven Inaccuracies in Al Gore’s ‘An Inconvenient Truth’
By Noel Sheppard | October 9, 2007 - 00:55 ET

Here's something American media are virtually guaranteed to not report: a British court has determined that Al Gore's schlockumentary "An Inconvenient Truth" contains at least eleven material falsehoods.

It seems a safe bet Matt Lauer and Diane Sawyer won't be discussing this Tuesday morning, wouldn't you agree?

For those that haven't been following this case, a British truck driver filed a lawsuit to prevent the airing of Gore's alarmist detritus in England's public schools.

According to the website of the political party the plaintiff, Stewart Dimmock, belongs to (ecstatic emphasis added throughout, h/t Marc Morano):

In order for the film to be shown, the Government must first amend their Guidance Notes to Teachers to make clear that 1.) The Film is a political work and promotes only one side of the argument. 2.) If teachers present the Film without making this plain they may be in breach of section 406 of the Education Act 1996 and guilty of political indoctrination. 3.) Eleven inaccuracies have to be specifically drawn to the attention of school children.

How marvelous. And what are those inaccuracies?

The film claims that melting snows on Mount Kilimanjaro evidence global warming. The Government's expert was forced to concede that this is not correct.

The film suggests that evidence from ice cores proves that rising CO2 causes temperature increases over 650,000 years. The Court found that the film was misleading: over that period the rises in CO2 lagged behind the temperature rises by 800-2000 years.

The film uses emotive images of Hurricane Katrina and suggests that this has been caused by global warming. The Government's expert had to accept that it was "not possible" to attribute one-off events to global warming.

The film shows the drying up of Lake Chad and claims that this was caused by global warming. The Government's expert had to accept that this was not the case.

The film claims that a study showed that polar bears had drowned due to disappearing arctic ice. It turned out that Mr Gore had misread the study: in fact four polar bears drowned and this was because of a particularly violent storm.

The film threatens that global warming could stop the Gulf Stream throwing Europe into an ice age: the Claimant's evidence was that this was a scientific impossibility.

The film blames global warming for species losses including coral reef bleaching. The Government could not find any evidence to support this claim.
The film suggests that the Greenland ice covering could melt causing sea levels to rise dangerously. The evidence is that Greenland will not melt for millennia.

The film suggests that the Antarctic ice covering is melting, the evidence was that it is in fact increasing.

The film suggests that sea levels could rise by 7m causing the displacement of millions of people. In fact the evidence is that sea levels are expected to rise by about 40cm over the next hundred years and that there is no such threat of massive migration.

The film claims that rising sea levels has caused the evacuation of certain Pacific islands to New Zealand. The Government are unable to substantiate this and the Court observed that this appears to be a false claim.
In the end, a climate change skeptic in the States must hope that an American truck driver files such a lawsuit here so that a U.S. judge can make similar determinations.

Of course, even if one could find such an impartial jurist, our media wouldn't find it newsworthy, would they?

—Noel Sheppard is an economist, business owner, and Associate Editor of NewsBusters.
Great Find my friend, rep sent!
post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Serious inquiries only

Sportbike: Specialized Allez Comp; Gkotlin's SV650
Years Riding: Always learning
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Mort82
Why do you hate polar bears?

So, wait, are you saying that the Earth has gone into and out of ice ages BEFORE man discovered fire?
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Joe

Sportbike: 2007 GSX-R600, 2007 KX250F, 2004 YZ450F, 2006 CRF50
Years Riding: As long as I been ridin your mama
How you found us: Joemama

Send a message via MSN to Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Joe
Does anyone know if newsbusters.org is a credible source for information?
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Sportbike: 955i Speed Triple, 100AE Road King, AP1 Honda S2000
Years Riding: 1/3rd of my life.
How you found us: Cave Johnson

My Government's Expert says that post is bullshit.

Brian
NESBA #22
الكافرة مع بندقية سوداء
Si vis pacem parabellum

Quote:
Yeah, I quit doing blow, not being rad!
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

The Politically biased "An Inconvenient Truth" alarmed me as well...

Here is a factual *scientific* antidote to it..... it's a LONG read.

http://www.middlebury.net/op-ed/global-warming-01.html

While I think there are *many* reasons for us to reconsider our lifestyles,
our use of energy in general and our dependence on foreign energy.....

I do not believe Mr. Gore's propaganda and find it amazing he won a
Nobel Prize for such a blatantly political piece.

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLARNEY View Post

Tom
+1
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
*Waits for Cerk to post because he can explain much better than I why global warming is a crock of shit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
So we should make no effort to change the ways we do things?

That is what it sounds like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
I will sock ya square in your snot locker if you EVER use the term "Bron Bron" in my presence - BAHLEEDAT
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
So we should make no effort to change the ways we do things?

That is what it sounds like.

Our country has spent over 500 million dollars since the early 90's attempting to prove humans are causing climate change... still no success. I believe that IS doing something.
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:10 AM

Sportbike: XB12R, H1, TTR125
Years Riding: I still have some money left...
How you found us: old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLARNEY View Post

http://www.middlebury.net/op-ed/global-warming-01.html

Tom
+2

Increased cost of petroleum, diesel, and gasoline at least are helping those that aren't looking for ways to increase their economy into actually thinking about it.

But I see no change in those with the environmental mindset in looking for alternatives to their plastic blackberries, laptops, etc. Nor do I see them themselves developing the alternatives. Only hurdles. With that, I have no use for them in the process of anything useful.

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing
Super Dave's Race Against Childhood Cancer
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

Whatever you want to call it, something is going on. We are on a heat wave and there is an increasing number of "that's never happened before" natural disasters. It may or may not be our fault, but at least it's being addressed.

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
*Waits for Cerk to post because he can explain much better than I why global warming is a crock of shit*
That film is not even worth commenting on

It's not that "global warming" in and of itself is a crock of shit, it's the reasoning behind its causal accusations that is the root of the problem...see global warming thread for more info.

Positive action is just that, positive...alarmist reactionism serves to benefit no one but the pockets of those in a position to take advantage of such movements.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:47 AM

Global Warming is a concept created by Democrats to give them a political platform that people might care about since their economy and war strategies are garbage. True Story.
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:48 AM
G2G

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerkMX View Post
That film is not even worth commenting on

It's not that "global warming" in and of itself is a crock of shit, it's the reasoning behind its causal accusations that is the root of the problem...see global warming thread for more info.

Positive action is just that, positive...alarmist reactionism serves to benefit no one but the pockets of those in a position to take advantage of such movements.

So what your saying is nothing in that film is true??? I am not saying it is or isn't but it really made me think. I have done some research on the subject but nearly as much as alot of people.
post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatFitz9 View Post
Whatever you want to call it, something is going on. We are on a heat wave and there is an increasing number of "that's never happened before" natural disasters. It may or may not be our fault, but at least it's being addressed.
Disagree.

I'm not sure if you kept up with current events, but even left leaning journalists are questioning the ideology. http://www.newstatesman.com/200712190004

Next, did you get snow this season? A lot of it? Has the temperature been below normal even?

As for natural disasters, my father's gone now, but I'll never know the heat and oppression that he talked about on the plains of Nebraska in the 30's. They were warmer then.

There have always been natural disasters. People live in areas where disasters happen now too. That's the freedom, a good economy, and stupidity all wrapped up in one. You can build where you want, but building on an ocean where hurricanes happen, well, you're gonna get hit by a hurricane.

Often individual human perception is only based on their simple, finite live. with only 150 years or so of written record keeping during billions of years of actual earth weather history...

I'm not sure what real conclusion one wouldd want to make.

If one had a mechanic do work on your equipment like that, it wouldn't address the symptom or the cause, or even say if there was a problem.

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Grid Marshall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
So what your saying is nothing in that film is true??? I am not saying it is or isn't but it really made me think. I have done some research on the subject but nearly as much as alot of people.
Nah, i'm not saying it's 100% BS, just that it is a political film aimed squarely at voters and such. It has little to do with actual scientific method and is predominately speculation and skewing of the statistics to favor a predetermined position. That's a bad way to research

Tom

Quote:
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
IT'S A MOVIE!

Rent "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Grid Marshall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
Disagree.

I'm not sure if you kept up with current events, but even left leaning journalists are questioning the ideology. http://www.newstatesman.com/200712190004

Next, did you get snow this season? A lot of it? Has the temperature been below normal even?

As for natural disasters, my father's gone now, but I'll never know the heat and oppression that he talked about on the plains of Nebraska in the 30's. They were warmer then.

There have always been natural disasters. People live in areas where disasters happen now too. That's the freedom, a good economy, and stupidity all wrapped up in one. You can build where you want, but building on an ocean where hurricanes happen, well, you're gonna get hit by a hurricane.

Often individual human perception is only based on their simple, finite live. with only 150 years or so of written record keeping during billions of years of actual earth weather history...

I'm not sure what real conclusion one wouldd want to make.

If one had a mechanic do work on your equipment like that, it wouldn't address the symptom or the cause, or even say if there was a problem.
Can you even begin to imagine the media coverage and political reaction if the dust bowl were to happen today

Tom

Quote:
post #21 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebusa07 View Post
Global Warming is a concept created by Democrats to give them a political platform that people might care about since their economy and war strategies are garbage. True Story.
+1

Since Communism pretty much failed, it's the next opportunity to get power. Removes power from individual choice.

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing
post #22 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerkMX View Post
Can you even begin to imagine the media coverage and political reaction if the dust bowl were to happen today
Oh, yeah.

Or they wouldn't cover it. The media understands California and New York. Everything else is fly over area.

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing
post #23 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 12:15 PM

It's very interesting to look at some old pictures from the farm where there were no trees.

Then FDR decided to redistribute money to people and make them plant trees on our farm to develop shelter belts. My dad was seemingly irritated by that all the time. More government is never a solution or a cure, but it is a cause and a symptom.

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing
post #24 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 12:29 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

It is a clearly proven fact that human beings are small little things that are incapable of having any affect on the environment around them

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/galle...ion?lightbox=1

As these pictures clearly show

admittedly they are not pictures of the world getting warmer, but they are pictures of what is happening to the environment.

and from what I have read a lot of their dirty air blows right over to california and then gets stuck there...

I guess it's our payback for what we have been doing to canada right?
post #25 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 12:30 PM

Sportbike: Moto Guzzi V-11 sport
Years Riding: since 1998
How you found us: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatFitz9 View Post

You just answered your own question...it's nature doing it's own thing and there's not a thing mankind can do to stop it.

Look, I can appreciate this. I was young too, I felt just like you. Hated authority, hated all my bosses, thought they were full of shit. Look, it's like they say, if you're not a rebel by the age of 20, you got no heart, but if you haven't turned establishment by 30, you've got no brains. Because there are no story-book romances, no fairy-tale endings. So before you run out and change the world, ask yourself, "What do you really want?"
post #26 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 12:39 PM
G2G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditCPA View Post
You just answered your own question...it's nature doing it's own thing and there's not a thing mankind can do to stop it.
Yeah but man kind can prevent it. According to the movie
post #27 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 12:43 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
We cxan influence climate cycles as much as we can influence a hurricane or tsunami.
post #28 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 12:44 PM

Sportbike: Moto Guzzi V-11 sport
Years Riding: since 1998
How you found us: .

Quote:
I don't see how an eathquake/tsunami/hurricane can be prevented. I'm sure these events have been happening for millions of years, but we just started to track natural disasters over the last 150 (which really isn't enough scientific data to reach a conclusion)

Look, I can appreciate this. I was young too, I felt just like you. Hated authority, hated all my bosses, thought they were full of shit. Look, it's like they say, if you're not a rebel by the age of 20, you got no heart, but if you haven't turned establishment by 30, you've got no brains. Because there are no story-book romances, no fairy-tale endings. So before you run out and change the world, ask yourself, "What do you really want?"
post #29 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I could fix some of it right now.

Eliminate the requirement for ethanol. Gas mileage would go up immediately. But that would reduce tax revenues and the huge profits that some are making.

Eliminate ULSD fuels too. Would reduce costs, and fuel mileage would go up. But that would reduce tax revenues and the huge profits that some are making.

Both would work now and be immediate ways to reduce some of the problem. But since a political group, no, religious group, has been empowered within the government, we get hurt trying to follow its establishment of morality and religion.

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing
post #30 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
According to the movie
I told you the answer is 42.

"Super" Dave Rosno

Team Visionsports Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode