Need help.... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Rockband & GH3 Queen!

Sportbike: 08 Ninja 250
Years Riding: a couple of years
How you found us: my imaginary friend told me about it....

Send a message via AIM to M.G.
Need help....

i got a couple of questions that i need help with..... one, how hard is it to lower the front end of my bike? do i need lowering links for that? and also, my hubby's bike's got frame sliders but i can't seem to find the spot where they would go on my bike... anyone knows where they go on the 2008 ninja 250?

I bleed GREEN

Facebook
<-- Add me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 11:07 PM

Sportbike: 05 CBR600RR
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: CBR Forum

Send a message via AIM to AgentofDarkness
That bike is pretty new, so there might not be an frame sliders out yet. On other bikes you attach the frame sliders to an engine mount or some other big bolt that can withstand an impact. It looks like the 08 Ninja 250 is pretty covered in plastic, so you might have to drill a hole for sliders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
In motorcycle terms, that's like taking your Ducati to a dealer for service, and they hand you back a 1979 backfiring Honda 400 Hawk.. because after all, a bike is a bike.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Rockband &amp; GH3 Queen!

oh crap.... yeah i had that feeling i was gonna have to drill the holes...

I bleed GREEN

Facebook
<-- Add me
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 11:12 PM

Sportbike: 05 CBR600RR
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: CBR Forum

Send a message via AIM to AgentofDarkness
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.G. View Post
oh crap.... yeah i had that feeling i was gonna have to drill the holes...
I'm not totally sure, because I didn't get that good of a look at when I went to get a filter yesterday, but I don't see too much open space on the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
In motorcycle terms, that's like taking your Ducati to a dealer for service, and they hand you back a 1979 backfiring Honda 400 Hawk.. because after all, a bike is a bike.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

what about lowering it?

I bleed GREEN

Facebook
<-- Add me
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:45 AM
Sunny and 70

Sportbike: 2008 Tuono 1000 R
Years Riding: 12 years
How you found us: GSXR.com

You cant possibly need to lower that bike. I dont care how tall you are, you should be able to ride that bike at its stock height. I was looking at one on Saturday, that bike is already pretty low.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

it's just the front end that's pretty high... i am very short and even though i've done fine on it, i've have a really hard time backing it up... i even have had to get off of it sometimes.... i just don't like that... lowering it would be more for comfort than necessity...

I bleed GREEN

Facebook
<-- Add me
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Sunny and 70

All you would have to do is slide the forks up in the clamps to get the front down a little bit, but it would be a good idea to lower the rear an equal amount. You will need links to lower the rear and I doubt anyone is making any yet. Give it some time, you couldnt have been riding that bike for more than a few weeks.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

cool.. thanks, i can definitely live with it the way it is now... like i said this lowering thing is just for comfort...

I bleed GREEN

Facebook
<-- Add me
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Got RC36?

Sportbike: x
Years Riding: x
How you found us: x

Lowering the front of the bike is simple.
Loosen the triple clamp bolts that secure fork tubes.
Now you can lower the the triple clamp, or what is referred to as 'raising the fork tubes'. Be careful how much you lower the front end, because it will alter the handling.

-Mike
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

ah.. you're talking chinese to me lol i know nothing about bikes... lol yet. i'm a newbie! i've only been on a bike less than 10 times lmao

I bleed GREEN

Facebook
<-- Add me
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:50 AM

when lowering you lower both ends. just lowering the forks makes bike center of weight way off could slid tire out on hard stops. i have lowered a lot of bikes good rule that works for street 1inch forks & 2 too 3 in the back.2 inch on back if you ride 2 up 3inch by self.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrat View Post
Lowering the front of the bike is simple.
Loosen the triple clamp bolts that secure fork tubes.
Now you can lower the the triple clamp, or what is referred to as 'raising the fork tubes'. Be careful how much you lower the front end, because it will alter the handling.

-Mike
+1

Lowering the front end will drastically affect handling. Be careful about overdoing it

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Liz

Sportbike: 07 R6, 07 TTR-125LE, Chevy Colorado
Years Riding: 5 yrs
How you found us: Asschaps

do you have boots already??? that might give you the extra height you need(coming from another shorty lol)....i had to have my friend give me a push backwards yesterday when he and i went riding lol other than backing up(and it was up a slight hill) just gotta build up the thigh and calf muscles lol good luck i know its not easy and you feel unsure/unsteady....it gets better the more you ride and get comfortable with the bike and how it handles!!!!!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

ha! i didn't think about that.. i don't have boots yet... i'm still looking at what to get... any suggestions?

I bleed GREEN

Facebook
<-- Add me
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Every motor needs a turbo

Sportbike: Had a Liquid Silver R1
Years Riding: longer than paved roads were common
How you found us: fellow rider

you could lower the front slightly without lowering the rear and be fine. try the boots first and see if that helps. if you still would like some more foot on the ground then try lowering the front a little and also check to see where the rear spring is. it may be able to be lowered in the rear slightly if theres some adjustment left.

if you are an advanced rider and are burnin up the turns...this will effect your sag setting by adjusting the rear spring. if you are just a normal rider and are more concerned with footing than dragging knee...then doing this stuff will be more than ok. good luck.

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 10:38 AM
RIP Ashwin

Sportbike: '07 CBR600RR
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: a friend/member

Send a message via Yahoo to Nessey
Hey girl....I'm 5'5" on a CBR600RR and I am on the balls of my feet when standing on the bike. When I'm backing up, I always get off the bike and push it backwards. It is just safer and easier that way. I don't care how silly I might look - its better than dropping the bike! Just a thought...

Nessey
2007 CBR 600 RR
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 10:41 AM

Sportbike: '04 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: days
How you found us: youngkow's monkey ass

Frame sliders? No need for those if you have full coverage. I wouldn't bother especially if you have to drill to put yours on.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 11:25 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Hey M.G. shoot Champ91 a PM. He makes custom frame sliders. He made a set of sliders for my ZX-10R so I wouldn't have to cut the fairing. They are also super strong and not like the silly off-set sliders you see out there.

As for lowering your bike, I wouldn't. I tip-toe on my 10R and like Nessy I sometimes get off to back it up. Lowering really messes with bike geometry, and that's not something I'd like to do.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 11:36 AM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

+1 on boots (Red Wing, or Harley Davidson for good solid brands) and getting off the bike to move it backwards. Also, don't park in situations that force you to back the bike up (if you can).

Also, getting a cutout in the seat can help you get both feet flat on ground as well and doesn't affect steering or handling.

good luck.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Another Polak

Sportbike: '05 CBR 600RR
Years Riding: Since '04
How you found us: Friend

I wonder how much they change the frame on new 250,
but on the old one there was no support for frame sliders.

Go to the www.ninja250.net, I bet you can get all info out there.
That forum is dedicated to 250's.

" Never drive faster, than your guardian angel can fly."

My Garage

PSN: chamala2000

Peter
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills View Post
As for lowering your bike, I wouldn't. I tip-toe on my 10R and like Nessy I sometimes get off to back it up. Lowering really messes with bike geometry, and that's not something I'd like to do.
im just curious cuz i keep seeing this posted and i still cant figure out what geometry lowering will effect for a street rider. this is a serious question and i am very curious if im missing something here. will the bike be harder to ride? will it make turning harder or unsafe? have the people that make these statements ever ridden a lowered bike?

post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 11:52 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by LsilverR1 View Post
im just curious cuz i keep seeing this posted and i still cant figure out what geometry lowering will effect for a street rider. this is a serious question and i am very curious if im missing something here. will the bike be harder to ride? will it make turning harder or unsafe? have the people that make these statements ever ridden a lowered bike?
It has the same effect as turning your front wheel into your turn vs. counter steering.

It depends on how aggressive you are as a street rider, I guess. I remember Kim crashed because she leaned to far over and scraped hard parts that she wouldn't have if she hadn't lowered it.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Liz

Sportbike: 07 R6, 07 TTR-125LE, Chevy Colorado
Years Riding: 5 yrs
How you found us: Asschaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.G. View Post
ha! i didn't think about that.. i don't have boots yet... i'm still looking at what to get... any suggestions?
i have these.....but they make others....not super comfortable for every day walking but when riding they are super comfortable...

http://www.rideicon.com/product_deta...y=1245&id=5822
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
It has the same effect as turning your front wheel into your turn vs. counter steering.

oh its ok for you to bring that up but it wasnt when i did the other day?

Quote:
It depends on how aggressive you are as a street rider, I guess. I remember Kim crashed because she leaned to far over and scraped hard parts that she wouldn't have if she hadn't lowered it.
i can agree with this.

what i dont agree with is people giving track racing type advice and comparing a new rider with an advanced rider like kim. im trying to keep my trap shut on this board about stuff i dont agree with but when it comes to this i just feel its wrong information when people discourage a short rider from lowering their bike. ill bet over half the people on this board couldnt scrap a peg on the street with a lowered bike if they tried.

she is a beginner. is she ever gonna come close to scraping peg? so because kim is advanced enough to scrap peg on a lowered bike...thats means this girl should suffer and barely be able to touch the ground on her street bike? and this is not a shot at females but guys are typically stronger than girls. dont you want these girls to be safe at stoplights and parking lots? i would feel much safer knowing that they can be comfortable touching the ground before id worry about them scraping peg on a turn. if they scrape peg on a turn its because they were going down anyway. ever see a delicate girl lose footing on a bike? it goes down. i can take my bike and lean it an inch to touching the ground and then lift it back up...as im sure most of you guys can. can most girls do this? i dont think so. it would really suck to see a girl dump her bike at a stoplight or have it fall on her leg or foot just because a bunch of road race guys told her that lowering it is bad.

sorry im making a big deal out of this its just that ive seen it a lot lately where girls are discouraged from lowering. you need to look at what you think is best for the person asking the question. ive owned and ridden a ton of lowered bikes in my life and ive never had a problem on the street. in fact i just lowered the r6 2.5" and when you ride it you cant even tell it was lowered other than you just feel closer to the ground. the bike still rides EXACTLY the same. mike (boostdgsxr) rides a lowered gixxer and rides with us through the turns just fine.

in all my clsb riding i have never once seen anyone come close to really pushing it on the street. the road racing mindset has to leave threads like this. thank you.

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Sunny and 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by LsilverR1 View Post
The only thing I have said is to lower the rear an equal amount to the front. Lowering the front would be the same as raising the rear which would change the steering geometry. Im not a suspension guru, but I believe this usually increases steering quickness and would reduce stability. That doesnt sound like a good combination for a begginer.

The only thing I have noticed on bikes that have been lowered is an increase in the effort it takes to initiate a turn. I assume this would be because of a lower center of gravity.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhauditech View Post
The only thing I have said is to lower the rear an equal amount to the front. Lowering the front would be the same as raising the rear which would change the steering geometry. Im not a suspension guru, but I believe this usually increases steering quickness and would reduce stability. That doesnt sound like a good combination for a begginer.

The only thing I have noticed on bikes that have been lowered is an increase in the effort it takes to initiate a turn. I assume this would be because of a lower center of gravity.
just to clarify something...i was never pin pointing anyones advice.

my point is...the only ones that should respond to this thread should be people that have actually done it and have real world experiences with it. its not a thread to get in here and theorize about what could happen. bikes have been lowered forever. its nothing new. people ride stretched and lowered sportbikes all the time...people also ride harleys and cruisers which do not handle as well as sportbikes even when theyre lowered. the changes in geometry from lowering a bike is so small that most of us wouldnt notice it at all if we didnt know it was lowered.

yes of course lower it evenly if you can. but would it be the end of the world to lower the front 1" and not touch teh rear? some of you make it out to be like the bike will completely change or something. to someone that isnt pushing the limits of the bike...they will hardly, if at all feel any difference. ride a zx6 and then ride a r6. do they feel the same? no the steering feels completely different. so does that mean you shouldnt ride a r6? does the steering on a 600rr feel the same as a harley? its like come on people. some learn to ride on dirtbikes and then go to street bikes. does the steering feel the same? no...you adapt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode